Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedans

Comments

• footiefootie Posts: 636
    Hi posters,

I don't work for Herb Chambers and never have.

I haven't bought a car there either. I shopped there back in June when I was looking at Minis.

I put their inventory info out here from time to time for several reasons.

One to make sure everyone North of the Delaware Memorial Bridge knows that they have a large (and growing) of EVERY major MB car type, C, E, S. It's very easy to access online. They don't do such a good job telling you what the options are on each car. You have to contact their ISD's to find that out or reverse engineer them from likely option mixes.

Two, as Merc1 points out, it helps folks negotiate. There's between $4k and $7K of profit on the standard E Class cars. There's absolutely no reason to believe that you have to pay MSRP. You just have to be discrete about where you shop. Some people like to pay high prices for stuff and that's their right. The point is you don't have to.

Finally there was this frenzy attitude when the new E was released that they were going like hot cakes everywhere. They didn't seem to be moving fast here (except for on-order cars) and still don't seem to be.

Chambers E-class inventory has crept up steadily since introduction and they have 100 right now. The Director of Internet Sales said that this week is usually a very active week for them in the luxury car stores. Unless they were selling them out back for cash, none of their E's left inventory this week, so they ought to be pretty hungry.

Current Chambers inventory offers a staggering selection in every MB category

100 E's
    157 C's
    32 S's (including 10 leftover 02's)
    4 SL's (!)
    11 CL's
    some odds and ends CLK/SLK cars

If you don't live up this way, try Topeka, Kansas. Scholfield Auto Plaza sells MB, Lexus, Jaguar, Acura and Porsche. They are friendly and usually very negotiable. They had a NEW C320 Wagon on ebay in April for about $4.5K UNDER MSRP (no reserve). They have 4 E320's, 4 E500's and a leftover 02 E430 out there where Toto's from.

Good luck shopping and Happy New Year
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    "Two, as Merc1 points out, it helps folks negotiate."

I said that?

Anyway, on this inventory thing. Can you tell me about this dealer and the number of cars they sell a year? I have a hard time believing that any dealer would have 100 E-Classes on their lot. That more than some Nissan dealers stock in Altimas. Dealers here (Chicagoland) keep about 3-5 E's on hand, and about the same in S-Classes. My local dealer (Mercedes-Benz of Naperville) has about 4 Es, 6 S-Classes, 3 CLs (1 is a 2002) and probably the last 2002 SL600 left in the U.S. Now they do have about 15-20 C-Classes, but they have no CLK coupes and only one SL, a SL55. I just can't picture 100 E-Classes on any dealers lot. If that is the case they HAVE to cut you a deal, and thus it wouldn't be too smart on their part to stock that many cars.

M
    Well, Merc1, maybe all of these folks are faking their inventory but I don't think so.

Try the website Herbchambers.com. Home page has "Entire New Inventory button", click it, select Mercedes, select E-Class
    They even list the VIN numbers.... They have 7 (Seven!) left over 2002 E's.

You can also take a look at Mercedes of Westwood ( at clair.com ), which is a part of the Clair Motors group. They just built a huge new facility in Westwood, MA just off Route 128. They are smaller than Chambers. They have 42 E's in stock this morning, including 1 E320, 2 E430's and 2 E55's from 02.

Clair's site is nicer than Chambers because they actually list the option code list by MB number on most vehicles.

The only other nearby dealership if Foreign Motors West in Natick MA and they don't keep their inventory on line.

Good luck
    It is 62,000 square feet ( 1.4 acres ) and has an 18 car indoor showroom.
  • jim256jim256 Posts: 14
    I did have an experience when looking at dealers' "on-line inventory" with another German marque, and found that the inventory they listed still had some "sold" cars but also had the ones "due-in" from the factory allocated to that dealer. In other words, it had about 60-90 days worth of volume. I once saw a car salesman training tape a sales friend shared with me--it advised the trainees when they got an inquiry about a specific car to always say they had just that car and color in stock, that they were having a special sale, and that if the person showed up, tell him he should have acted more quickly since "it" was just sold. I'm not saying all dealers play this game, but visiting the lot will tell you more about inventory, and calling the dealer will probably tell you more about their interest in selling over he phone or internet. I had better info on that other German marque after I did that.
  • We came up with several; Finally I chose one which is spiritual - OM; I have to apply for it yet. Hopefully I will get it.. The word is considered a universal sound in Yoga and is used as a sacred utterance.

Other names we came up with but are letting go are (these can be used by anybody except for commercial purposes if not already used)
    - BLU BLEU
    - XCUSE ME (my son blurted out this one when I and my wife were listing; and he thought this was a choice also)
    - O BABE
    - I CAN
    - S ICAN
    - O YEAH

By the way, my wife drove the car from the dealership; she felt great; When I drove it later I could feel the engine was very quiet all along; in city the car is very quiet - I drive my Honda Civic to work - you can guess I feel the difference, but on the expressway you will hear the road noise a bit more than I expected. The braking while coming to a stop - as is discussed on the forum - is a bit 'waving' - the sensotronic brake control kicks in more than you may want it, but I didn't feel it to be too distracting. The car is a gizmobile - as my 8 yr old son called it; the ambient or soft lighting features reminds you that you are indeed in a lux. car. Today it was raining a lot and I didn't want to take it out. The interior sides are fabric and are easily prone to shoe smears; I found the head lamps brighter than my expectations but shorter coverage distance perhaps; these are my first impressions; anyway as my wife was driving it back to home from the dealership, a few heads did turn around in our community, some smiles and that felt good.

Will post more of the experience as I get used to it more.

The salesman recommended an option to keep the brake lining or the wheel wells from getting dirty; does anybody know of this option and its cost; and its worthiness?
  • cticctic Posts: 291
    When you said something spiritual and OM I thought the words might have stood for O Mighty, or Ole' Mighty if said irreverently.

Wouldn't the universal sound in yoga be more like OMMMMMM?

The option to keep brake lining or the wheel wells from getting dirty is also known as mud guards. I've had them in some cars and not in others. Haven't really noticed any difference. It might add a few bucks to the salesman's pockets and probably wouldn't look good in this car.

BTW, I've found the Xenons to be quite disconcerting. They might be brighter, but there's definitely a sharp demarcation in the area of the light horizontally. I prefer the old yellow headlights.
  • Any information on the DVD Navigation system to be dealer installed during the first quarter of '03. Dealers/MB were promoting the accessory for $1625 installed.
  • An after market option for OEM xenon lights for '03 E class, Optilux whites (Hella) are available in Std 55 watts H7. High Beams can be replaced with ease. Low beams are a challenge- any tech guru's out there!! Dealer of course is not very cooperative.
  • mbdrivermbdriver Posts: 426
    Regarding the usefulness of putting mud guards on an E-Class, I can speak only for the W210 and not the new E. I wouldn't be without them.

Take a close look at the rear part of both the front and rear tires and the wheel wells. On my 2000 E320, the bottom part of the front tires protrude outside or beyond the wheel well and lower rocker panels; if I didn't have mud guards installed, the front tires would kick up moisture and dirt onto the lower panels. Similarly, the rear tires would splash the grime onto the lower rear part of the rear fenders.

As for appearance, my mud guards are OEM, black and molded to follow the lines of the rear part of the fender housing. They aren't readily noticeable but, if anything, I think they enhance the looks of the car.

Just my 2 cents worth!
  • aaragam:
    Your salesman may have been referring to brake dust shields that get installed between the wheel and the wheel hub. They are supposed to reduce the amount of brake dust that ends up on the alloy wheels. They have been discussed many times here and there are widely varying opinions on their effectiveness. I have no opinion: I have not used them..
  • OM is the word - how it is spelled; the utterance can vary according to how long one can - it could be OMMMMMMMMMMMM or OOOOOOMMMMMMMMMmmmmmm, etc. btw another such spiritual combo is SRI OM which is my second choice - SRI refers to one form of the Almighty...OM pays homage...

mbdriver - thanks, I wanted the mud flaps, the salesman wasn't aware of its use. In a country such as India (where I come from) where the roads are not as good (urghhhhhhh!), these were always necessary. I will get them soon.

microrepair - I guess you are mentioning the same what the salesman talked about; will explore the archives.. thanks....
  • I have used brake dust shields,it did reduce the brake dust. However it caused overheating and distortion to the rotors, had to replace rotors and pads at a cost of >$500.00. A good alloy wheel cleaner and a hose is your best bet.
  • I will be purchasing a E320 in the DC metro area in the next couple of months. Which dealership should I go to and which sales person should I use? What about the "internet" sales people?
  • Buy from Euromotorcars in Bethesda. My salesman is no longer there but anyone will do. Remember, there is an approximate 7 percent markup on Invoice and a 3 percent dealer holdback. Edmunds will give you the exact numbers. You should be able to get your car for $500-800 over actual dealer cost. Good Luck!!
  • Aaragm, I like the OM, hope you get it. My second choice was GU10TAG, I thought it would have been really nice on a German car. Before I bought the MB I had an Acura Integra GTR, the plates on it were HAIKU. Is there anyone else here that likes to have fun with their Personal Plates? Share with us.

Bubba

". . .my friends all drive Porches, I must make AMENDS. . ." J. Joplin
  • mbdrivermbdriver Posts: 426
    wmoliver - I second what donald02 said about EuroMotorcars in Bethesda. I live close to Tysons, but bought my 2000 E320 from Euro. I found the treatment, courtesy and negotiation there to be a pleasure. I dealt with Sudhir Katyal, a real no-pressure pro, and I'll definitely go back to him, if and when.

My service advisor is Andy Guida, the best of the best. Feel free to e-mail me with questions.
  • i brought mine from HBL a few weeks ago and had good experience with my sales person mark stephens. a very fine gentleman. don't have enough to say about the dealership itself. i remember i was there a few months ago, stood in the show room for a good 10 minutes and was totally ignored. don't know whether it was how i dressed that day or was it my skin color which i couldn't really do much about. anyway, mark was great and you may want to consider as your second option.

have heard good thing about Euromotorcars. guess i didn't want to fight the beltway traffic :-).
  • cticctic Posts: 291
    "You should be able to get your car for $500-800 over actual dealer cost."
    That's more of a wish than fact. It has not been the experience of most of the posters here. Many have paid MSRP.

Regarding brake dust shields, posters across many boards have all recommended against it for the reason 20endicott said - overheating.
  • Dealerships make most of their money on used cars and service. A new car costs them nothing until they have to pay the factory after the car is delivered. A profit of $500-800 per car is a great return for them. The only exception is when supply is less than demand then they can increase the margin. Suggest you get the dealer's cost for the car you want (considering hold back and invoice markup) add $500-800 and make your offer. If that dealer won't accept, then call other dealers within 2 or 3 hundred miles of your home and make your offer to their sales manager. You'll get your deal!!