Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedans

Comments

• monakhmonakh Posts: 16
    Love the courtesy. Yeah, we are morons :) And damn proud of it too. Last time I looked, it was a free land.
  • I recently replaced the Goodyears with Sumitomo HTR+.
    Ahhhh, the peace and quiet. Check them out on tirerack. They do carry the right size.
  • jfz219jfz219 Posts: 63
    Gas guzzling? The comment is neither accurate nor courteous. My 2000 E320 averages 23 mpg city and 31 on the highway. I drive it more aggressively than my previous 240D and 4 cylinder Camry and it consistently exceeds these cars in fuel economy.

The next generation of direct injection gas engines should improve power and mileage by 10-15%. With that performance I question the appeal of the CDI options in the US market.
  • cduongcduong Posts: 70
    The Alpine CD player in my E320 suddenly went dead. Stereo is still working. What could be wrong? Your opinion is greatly appreciate. Thanks
  • hgphgp Posts: 11
    Folks,

I am considering purchasing a used E430 and have been looking at 99 an 00 models. Do you have any advice for those of you who own these cars? I test drove a 99 E430 Sport today and it was incredible. I read on Edmunds that the 99 has a better mid-term reliability rating than the 00. What have been your experiences and what is you advice for buying a used E430.

TIA, hgp
  • tusstuss Posts: 11
    there was an "update" in the shape from 1999 to 2000---slightly lower hood, better looking side panels, new rims I think, and some other safety issues too I believe---so I'd go with the 2000 model.
  • linardlinard Posts: 59
    I would also go for the 2000 as they updated the interior with a number of refinements, different texture for the dashboard/door panel materials, steering controls for the stereo, a trip computer, programmable preferences for different drivers, etc. The exterior is different with the inclusion of the turn signal led lights in the rear view mirrors, more integrated bumper covers, and the prettier tail lights. In addition, tuss is correct, the 2000 E class crashed much better than the 96-99 models,

http://www.hwysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/97005.htm
    http://www.hwysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/00027.htm
  • My wife and I (both in our late 20's) are considering purchasing a 2000 E320. We are looking for a stylish car within our price range (30 to 35k) that will be a great car for years to come. We want a car and that will be reliable, safe, luxurious, and timeless.

I am hoping that I can get people to weigh in on their opinions of the 2000 E320 (if applicable).

Thanks in advance
  • 2ndmb2ndmb Posts: 72
    I had a 2000 E320 and it was an excellent car. Smooth ride, comfortable seats amd very quiet interior. Just don't think you are getting a sports sedan, because it isn't. It won't handle the curves without lots of body role, or lets say not like a BMW 5 series. Don't get me wrong, it handled well, but set your expectations right. Also make sure you get one from a MB dealer with a warranty. They aren't cheap to repair. Good luck on your purchase.
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    I agree with 2ndmb. As long as you aren't looking for a sports sedan - and you don't list that as a priority - a low milage 2000+ E320 is a great car.

In addition, I am surprised by how much 2000-2002 E's have dropped in price over the last few months, per the Washington Post. It appears that under $30k for a 2000 E320 is very possible. Even saw a low milage 2001 "S"430 advertised for $39k this weekend. I have been considering replacing our SUV with a 2003 E320 Wagon. But given the drop in used prices, a nice 2000/2001 may make sense.

Shop hard, it appears to be a buyer's market.
  • jb_shinjb_shin Posts: 357
    I have been thinking of used Landcruiser or XC90 for my wife when we return home from Germany next year. However, I was surprised how much price has dropped on the E320s and wagons. Now it looks like we will be looking at a 4-matic wagon, probably one of the certified ones from 2000+
  • I purchased the key tools for the climate control and radio from Samstagsales.com. I couldn't find the part number again. Hope this helps. BTW, my small red lights on the climate control were working fine, I just didn't have any backlighting at light. It sounds like you may have a different problem with your climate control.
  • Can anyone tell me how to get the remote key to work again? Can it be re-programmed at home? Yes, the remote batteries were replace, but to no avail. Thanks.
  • joeadpjoeadp Posts: 68
    I own 3 cars and the E320 is my keeper.
    Love the ride, power, and luxury look and feel of materials. Also practical with 3 kids and I consider it a safe car with all the electronic gadets.

If I had to pick one of my vehicles it would be the 320. My other 2 vehicles are an SUV and Porsche.
  • footiefootie Posts: 636
    MB's are relatively expensive to keep up, both in time and money.

Make sure that you have nearby dealer that you can get very good references on. See if you can find out where the car was serviced and check for any unusual service events.

As my sister in Savannah says "I got the money honey, but not the time, to own a Mercedes".
  • mbdrivermbdriver Posts: 426
    I bought my 2000 E320 in April 2000 and love the car. Because I don't drive too aggressively, I believe the car satisfies ALL my needs. My neighbor and close friend has a 2001 BMW 530I, and he loves it -- but he is almost a maniac behind the wheel!

I concur with the folks who recommend getting a used one with as much warranty as possible. I bought the MB extended warrant that takes the original 4-year/50,000 mile warranty to 8 years/100,000 miles. It's transferable, so if you can find one like that, by all means pay the extra freight and get it. footie is correct -- a Mercedes can be expensive to maintain and repair! Start with Starmark cars from dealers.
  • merckxmerckx Posts: 565
    In this month's Car&Driver,they rate rear seat room of the E320 last among its competition. In the past model,the rear was always deemed very roomy,espically for the car's small exterior. Has anyone directly compared (owned)both? The brochure lists front headroom as,I believe, .4" less. Does anyone notice this difference?
    I really lioke a roomy back seat in my cars. That's what killed a BMW 525i for me.
  • jb_shinjb_shin Posts: 357
    While I do not own either cars, I did test drive the older model and sat inside the new one for comparison. I was comparing the old one to the 5-series, and the back seats in the older E was much roomier. Then, earlier this year, when the new E was launched in Germany, I sat in the back again. Despite the numbers being bigger, I felt the new one was more cramped and tighter. Perhaps it was just the way I felt and the way the seats were angled, but the old one seemed somehow roomier. Then again, I spent 2 days in the old one (and countless taxi rides) and only 30 minutes or so in the new E.
  • merckxmerckx Posts: 565
    I thought the back seat in the old one was amazing. The car was really very trim,easy to park,but the back still managed to be very comfortable. And I'm not sure that is true for the new one.
  • While I love my 2000 E320, I have to say at the moment I am ashamed to own a German car based on the ongoing attacks on US positions by the German government. I've never been big on "buy American" where the foreign product was superior, but I've got to say I am considering selling my car and buying a Jaguar or some other car built either in the US or in a country which is a friend of the US. Ditto other German and French products.