Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedans

Comments

• footiefootie Posts: 636
    That's amazing.

Nothing handheld in the modern world take more than a few milliseconds to program.

Maybe it's the dealer who is the slug?
  • beepabeepa Posts: 12
    I don't have that switch in my car. But, I also have not had any of the problems that others are posting here. I live in Western Mass and we've had a helluva winter and I have had absolutley NO problems with regards to driving in snow. In fact, I had a Ford Explorer before this and although I don't have the ground clearance, my experience has been very positive with this 4-Matic!
    My dealer, Lewbar Imports in West Springfield MA not only charged me $10 + gas, they gave me a Buick Park Ave.!!!! When I dropped off my car and asked for a loaner, the service guy (a real condesending S.O.B.) said that I have to ask when making the appointment. Uh, isn't it HIS job to ask the customer or am I misconstruing the term 'Customer Service'? He said they only had 4 loaners (all Buick's) and they have to be reserved ahead of time.
    While on the subject, I went to the same dealer to purchase those ever popular H6W parking (standing) light bulbs. At first the parts guy hands me a 12 watt amber bulb. When I told him that was the wrong one,it was a 6 volt H6W, he says "We use different part numbers." He then started to look on the computer for the part.............unfortunatley he was looking at the BACK END of the car. After pointing him in the right direction, he says "Well, I have some bad news for you. You have to replace the entire housing." After restraining myself from jumping over the counter, I offered to go out and remove the bulb in question. He then called another person over who, at first, agreed with the first person. Upon seeing the color of my face change from white to red to purple, the second guy say's "Wait a minute", checks the computer and finally produces the correct bulb.
    My problem with this experience is if this had happened to a person who did not know any better, would they have installed a new housing for who know's how much, when all they needed was a $5 bulb?
    I think I just might drive an extra 25 minutes to another dealer in Hartford and hope that this attitude doesn't prevail!
  • r1_97r1_97 Posts: 181
    beepa, you've got the worst service I've seen posted so far. I'm mechanically challenged so I had dealer service change the bulb on a '98 E-320. Cost about $6 for the bulb and $19 labor to change it. Didn't need a loaner. They changed it in about 30 minutes.
  • acco20acco20 Posts: 208
    It seems to imply you are quite happy to be charged $6.00 for a bulb, and $19.00 labor to change it. And you are satisfied not to have needed to get a loaner and leave the car to get this work done. Do I interpit your post correctly...This is all AOK?
    No! No! The bulb was a seperate issue. The car had to go in for warranty work previously---THAT'S when they charged me for the Buick.
    I changed the bulb myself. I was just venting about the lack of intelligence at this particular dealer.
  • acco20acco20 Posts: 208
    It is r1 97's post #4826 that I was questioning. Actually, I do not really deserve an answer. I just thought it odd to be satisfied to pay so much for so little.IMHO.
    I too was addressing r1 97.
  • r1_97r1_97 Posts: 181
    I think beepa may have responded to a question by acco20 directed to me.

Yes, anytime I can get away from a MB repair for $25 or less, I'm a happy camper. I understand that $6 is about the going rate for a parking light bulb. The $19 labor charge seems reasonable for just about any kind of work no matter how trivial. Getting it done in 30 minutes seems prompt enough.

I hope this clear things up.
  • hotrod051hotrod051 Posts: 11
    I am the owner of a new Silver 2003 E-Class. While the looks of the car are above average as most people would agree with, the quality of the build is very dismal. Below are a list of problems that have occurred since I picked my car up in October of 2002:

1. In December an annoying noise was coming from the transmission everytime I stepped on the accelerator. I brought it in to the dealership and as it turned out the entire rear differential needed to be replaced. At this time my car had 1200 miles on it. Dearlership could not explain what the problem was.

2. On a recent vacation to Florida, in an attempt to use the air conditioner, the AC OFF light came on and the air conditioner did not work at all. At this point the car had less than 5000k miles and the air conditioner never worked. Had the air conditioner repaired at a Florida dealership and they needed to change the Air Conditioning Control Head. Great way to spend in 90 degree weather for 2 days.

3. The gas cap became stuck in the holder on the gas door. When I removed it, the metal and plastic pins were not lined up. The only way I could get the gas cap back on the car was to break the plastic ring. This shows how cheaply some parts of the car were designed.

4. And the icing on the cake! After returning home from Florida finally with a fixed air conditioner, I attempted to clean the car when I noticed that the Mercedes emblem on the rear driver's side tire simply fell off on the way home.

I understand that these problems might be unique only to my car, but I felt it was necessary to let other Mercedes owners what problems to look for. Please feel free to post a message if you have had or have heard of any of these same problems.
  • carnaughtcarnaught Posts: 1,569
    Wow, a definite bummer. Sorry to hear about (all of) your problems. Thus far, at three months, mine has had none of your problems and has been great. I wonder if it could be related to earlier production. Do you happen to know your build date?
  • mark156mark156 Posts: 1,992
    I was surprised to find a full size spare in my 2000 E430 sport. In a post way back, someone remarked that they found the small "donut" tire in their E-class. Personally, it doesn't matter to me one way or the other.

The reason I noticed it was that last week someone ran into the rear of my car. The back bumper was scratched and the area under the right tail-light was slightly dented ($778.00 in damage). I dropped the car off at the repair shop and I took out everything in the car including the CD cartridge, owners manual,etc. I also thought I better take out the tools that come with the car and that's when I saw that my spare was full size.

Hotrod... I'm sorry to hear about the trouble with your new E. I'm a little worried that Mercedes is letting their quality slip. I also have a 2002 ML500. The black plastic piece under the front bumper keeps coming loose. I also had to have the rear cup holder replace (it just fell apart). Also, there is a dash rattle that hasn't been completely eliminated after several trips to the dealer. Of course, it never rattles when the service guy rides with me. I love the vehicle but these little annoyances drive me crazy!

Happy Motoring, Mark
  • sddlwsddlw Posts: 361
    Try Performance Products. From past experience, I have found that their catalogues have many parts listed that the web site does not so it wouldn't hurt to get on the catalogue mailing list.

http://www.performanceproducts.com/default.aspx?referer=1034
  • adeeladeel Posts: 9
    Is there a way to find out when my car was built.
    Thanks.
  • mbdrivermbdriver Posts: 426
    Open the driver's door and read the plate on the post. It should state the month and year of build.
  • lmtayl2lmtayl2 Posts: 3
    I believe you can tell what year the car was built from the VIN number. Look at the last eight to fourteen characters.
  • jgraveljgravel Posts: 54
    Has anyone heard about availablity yet? Is it still October or has the timeframe moved in/out?

Thanks
  • EdsotoEdsoto Posts: 42
    What Dreams are made of...

(and nightmares if the car doesn't run or you have dealer/service issues, or like me TIMEPORT problems...)

:)
  • It is broken and it seems easy enough to replace it. Anyone knows where I mail order one? Or know the part number?
  • donald02donald02 Posts: 54
    I have an '01 E-430 and I had a key malfunction. Mercedes ordered a new key and when it arrived I took the car to the dealer and they reprogrammed the key and sent me on my way in 15 minutes, NO CHARGE!

If your dealer says over 8 hours to reprogram, you are being scammed. Get a new dealer!