Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedans

Comments

• anwcanwc Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 E320 awd wagon with 25000 miles. The warranty will expire in May of 2004. I am interested in an extended warranty and would appreciate any thoughts on this and the best place to purchase one. Thank you in advance.
  • clark217clark217 Posts: 25
    Re: message 3504 by microrepair

Microrepair, could you post directions for replacing the rotors. I have found DIY directions for replacing the brake pads, but haven't found any instructions for replacing the rotors. Anyone else done this?

Thanks,
    Clark217
  • Please be aware of the horrendous time Chrysler is giving Daimler. The mini van bubble has finally popped and Chrysler's balance sheet has not looked good for years. This will have an effect on Mercedes for some time to come. Mercedes has tried to appeal to a wider spectrum of potential buyers with the introduction of many new models over the last five years. Costs are up in The Fatherland, the economy is not so good - much as it is here. Do not look for many mind boggling introductions beyond the Maybach and the SLR. Daimler may dump Chrysler if somebody can make them an offer they cannot, possibly, should not refuse.
  • drew37drew37 Posts: 62
    I am trying to get a feel for what I can expect to pay for a new E320 relative to invoice or MSRP in the West Palm Beach, Boca Raton area of southern Florida. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
  • linardlinard Posts: 59
    Mercedes has used variable valve timing for years. Its design, like everyone elses now, is computer controlled and retards or advances the camshaft depending on situation. Of course, Honda has had under the VTEC designation and BMW under Valvetronic. In addition, with the advent of the V6's in the late 90s, Mercedes began using variable intake manifolds as well. Benz engines have always been very advanced and up-to-date, but often times people don't realize it, much like Mercedes safety record. Other than for the ML (which is also a best pick), all Benzes in the U.S. are better than equivalent sized Volvos in crash testing.
  • bigrobnhbigrobnh Posts: 114
    Does anybody here know how the fuel capacity gauge works (I drive a 2001 E320 4Matic)?

Fuel light came on, drove for a while then decided to fill up. At fill up time, I supposedly had 1.2 gallons left. Pump only pumped 18.2. That 19.4 is shy of the 21 gallons that the tank holds. From the pump, I drove to the laserwash and while sitting in there getting a car wash, the gauge went from 20.2 (not the 19.4 I get when I add the numbers) all the way up to 21 where it sat there and bounced from 20.8 to 21. Anybody seen their fuel capacity gauge work like this?

Thanks,
    BigRob.
  • pompano73pompano73 Posts: 20
    I too live in South Florida, I would recommend going to Autohaus, I believe they have about 65 E320's and 15 E500's. I talked to the dealer the other day and he sounded like he was going to make a good deal. Depending on the options I think you could do quite well there. I bought my 2001 E320 there and couldn't be happier with the service I received there sales and Maintenance issues both! I may talk to them again soon because I'm looking at one as well. Tell me how you make out. The guy I talked to I believe his name is Andy.
  • mbnut1mbnut1 Posts: 403
    I'm don't believe Mercedes is using this. At least not on the naturally aspirated V6's. Please provide a reference that supports this assertion.
  • footiefootie Posts: 636
    If you look at the composite ratings on crashtest dotcom, you'll note that Volvo and MB have very similar crash ratings in both the US and EU tests.

Lexus is similar too. Looks like all of them have improved a great deal in the last decade.
  • jfz219jfz219 Posts: 63
    The fuel-remaining value is usually about 1.5 gallons less than the actual content. Think of this as your last prayer reserve. As the full tank gets used, this 1.5 gallon fudge factor starts to accumulate. The calculated mpg and miles driven are accurate.

Remember two things: don't top off the tank after the first trip of the pump, and don't drive until empty.

The typical readout after a filling is either 20.6 or 21 Gallons.
  • microrepairmicrorepair Eastern MassachusettsPosts: 508
    clark217:

send me your email address and I'll send a message to you trying to describe the process..

Fred
  • clark217clark217 Posts: 25
    View my updated profile to see my e-mail address. Thanks for your trouble.

Clark217
  • I'm looking at buying this vehicle and would appreciate feedback from current OWNERS with the parnoramic roof option in a 2003 E-class. Pro/cons would be appreciated.

Also, thoughts on the Drive Dynamic Front seats vs. the Dual-Dynamic Multi-contour seats?

Is anyone getting this vehicle below invoice?

Thanks.
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    A while back we were having a discussion about Mercedes' future engines. There is a very interesting article in the July Issue of CAR magazine about Mercedes' upcoming engines.

According to them some Mercedes execs feel that AMG doesn't have a unique enough strategy with their cars, so all of their future engines will be naturally aspirated, direct injection and of the big displacement variety, all making more power than todays supercharged engines.

The also stated that the supercharged V6 in the C32 and SLK32 will be dropped next year in favor of the naturally aspirated 5.5L V8 in the new CLK55 AMG. Interesting. Only the AMG V12 will have forced induction from 2005 onward. The current monster 5.5L supercharged V8 is due to be replaced by a direct-injection 6.3L V8 with close to 600hp!

There is still talk of a V10, also of large displacement w/direct injection. It was confirmed that C-Class is next Benz to get a facelift for 2004, mainly the interior (thank god). Still no mention of the "regular" engines yet, but going by all this direct injection/large capacity talk I think it's safe to say we won't be seeing Mercedes go backwards in hp like this did when they switched from 4-valve to 3-valve engines.

M
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    direction for Mercedes engines.

However, I have to observe that the current SLK32 isn't exactly the class leader in handling and steering. Replace the supercharged V6 with a 5.5 liter V8 that weighs more than BMW's 4.9 liter V8 in the M5, and it can't help but make matters worse. Even the CLK55 feels dull and overweight after driving the BMW M3.

Is Mercedes/AMG going further in the direction of "muscle car" mentality and leaving balance, handling and steering up to BMW and Audi?
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    I doubt that they'll give up on precision, the V8 is scheduled for the next SLK chassis not the current one. Though Mercedes' were never about beating BMWs at sheer handling precision, that just isn't their mission.

I personally never saw the CLK55 as a competitor to the M3, that was always the C32's place. I too wonder about about a V8 in a C-Class sedan, again. MB might not have a choice with the next M3 rumored to be V8 powered and cars like the CTS-V carrying V8s.

It will be interesting as you say to see how all of this turns out.

M
  • rbrenton88rbrenton88 Posts: 186
    Someone mentioned not to add any more gas to the tank after the pump first trips itself. Can you tell me why?
    I live in one of 2 states in the US that still mandates that an attendant pump the gas (no self-serve at all). Although I like this for the ability of having someone else do it, but they almost always insist on squeezing in more gas until the next even dollar amount is reached. Most are too dumb to realize that this is irrelevant if I'm paying by credit card (which they see in my hand).
  • gsenthilgsenthil Posts: 154
    Gas when stored underground is at a much lower temperature than in the gas tank of your car. To account for this, there is an error of margin left. However I dont think adding a few extra ounces will do any harm nor would it add anything to the attendant's pay.

I also know people who fill gas and do the same and always wonder why.
  • Which 2 states don't allow self service? That sounds wierd.
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    I pumped my own gas for 20 years before we moved to NJ, and found that I was suddenly retired from pumping my own gas. I too thought it was wierd, that said, I got used to it real fast. ;-) Now that we live in NH, I kind of miss having someone pump my gas, oh well. :-/

Best Regards,
    Shipo