Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedans

Comments

• mark156mark156 Posts: 1,992
    My 2000 E430 only has 23,000 miles and has been 99.9% trouble free. I had one fog light assembly replaced under warranty (did not aim straight). Also, the two vanity mirror visors were replaced. The flip up door popped off both.

My only out of pocket expense has been a new set of Michelin Pilot Sports. ($900)

rtcjr: You mentioned that you had a rattle at the back window area. When mine was new I heard what I thought was a rattle but it was the trunk lid gasket squeaking. I put a lubricant on it and it was cured.

Now, I'm thinking of trading my car in because I want a larger SUV. I think I could get at least $32/$33K on trade.

Mark
  • 330iii330iii Posts: 71
    Does anyone know where I can get the invoice prices for Euro Delivery on the 04 E Class? Is it possible to negotiate a deal for xxx amount over the Euro Delivery invoice or are dealers not budging on the Euro Delivery MSRP? Thanks in advance!
  • My E430 will be 4yrs young in a few months - only 32,000 miles.

It is shocking to see how much MB has spent on warranty work due to poor quality materials-

First 3 years - 4 power window controllers -
                    vanity mirror lid
                    dash board- from the airbag perforation opening up.

Today - Both headlight and parking light UNITS due to serious deterioration of the lenses. Supposedly many labor hours. Went from yellow to crystal clear.

Second time to "redye" the front seat leather.
    Replaced the gummy control switches on the steering wheel.

R/R the famous drink holder.

I'm sure they spent about $3,000 not to mention the loaners and my time -

Otherwise the car performs extremely well- especially after I replaced the OEM continentals with Bridgestone Turanzas - a world of a difference.

Are these problems SOP with MB ??? I am certain that the dealer enjoys the work.

Also, has anyone had problems with rust forming under minor paint chips - from rocks etc. It appears that if the prep and primer were done properly there should not be any rust-just chips,

Looking forward to your comments.

PS - I have a feeling that the battery is going a die right before the warranty expires.
  • merrelmerrel Posts: 45
    Just reached 18,000 miles on my 2003 E320. Do not want to spend $2600 at MB dealer for extended warranty. At what point would you suggest I get addtl coverage for another 3-4 years but from an independent insurance company? Shall I wait until my MB 4yrs 50k miles comes and go? Need some guidance. Thanks!!
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    I have been anxiously awaiting the return of the E class turbodiesel to the US and understand they will be bringing in the E320 CDI next spring. From the specifications I've read, performance will be essentially identical to the E320 gas (0-100 kph in 7.7 sec) with 28/36 mpg city/highway ratings. If European pricing is any indication, the E320 CDI will be about $500 less than the E320 gas.

HOWEVER, I would really like to see Mercedes import the E270 CDI 6-speed manual transmission. A friend in London is considering one. It gives up a bit in performance (0-100 kpm in 8.4 sec) to the E320, but gets even better fuel economy and - here's the charmer - is roughly the equivalent of $8,000 less than the E320 CDI. A U.S. version E270 CDI 6-speed with a base price of about $39,900 would be a slam dunk in my opinion. Especially after BMW managed to both botch the design and significantly raise the price of the new 5-series.

Anyone else like to add their name to a buyer list to send to the Mercedes executives who apparantly think Americans don't know how to drive a stick?
  • footiefootie Posts: 636
    If they can sell every 320CDI at $8K more, why in the world would they bring in the 270 because customers wanted to spend less?
  • nedzelnedzel Posts: 787
    While I certainly enjoy manual transmissions, I think there would be very little demand for an E-class manual transmission in the US. And Mercedes is not noted for particularly good manual transmissions.
    Both Mercedes and BMW offer a much broader line of vehicles for the European market than they do for the US. The claim is that EPA testing is costly and rigorous, so they elect not to bring the complete model lines into the states.

As for the 270 CDI 6-speed, that is a great car. A significant amount of the $8,000 price savings is in the form of lower luxury content. But for someone who wants a good performing, solidly built E-class, at an extremely competitive price, the 270CDI "Classic" model is as good as it gets.

Mercedes has pretty much handed the sport sedan market to BMW here in the U.S.. I believe they have created a self fulfilling prophesy that there would be little demand for a manual transmission E-class. I doubt that will change, but the 270CDI 6-speed would be a great way to introduce Mercedes to a lot of new buyers who think the standard E class is too stodgy and expensive and the C-class too small and inferior in performance to the 3-series.
  • Could anyone out there help me with information on the approximate value of a 1984 500SL gray market car in perfect condition. My daughter owns the car and is thinking of selling it in the near future. It is black with brown leather, two tops chrome wheels and has been maintained by one mechanic by all three owners. Original paint and in Arizona since imported. It has 72,000 miles and is in mint condition. Since it is gray market, there is no model category on Edmunds. Any experts out there? Thanks for your help.
  • footiefootie Posts: 636
    IMHO, I think that MB has two problems with 270CDI:

The image in the USA is 'luxury' not breadth of offering as in Europe. I would guess that they make 75% margin on the 8K difference in price. So WHY would they want to do sell 270CDI's in place of 320CDI's, unless they are going for a much broader product line here.

The U.S. is a tough market for a broad, highly differentiated model line. It's physically much larger than Europe with a similar population. Different models, say an E with $8K less content and a different motor, means different bits and pieces, more parts spread all over the U.S. for service. $$$!

I think that MB carefully weighs investments and puts money where they get the biggest bang for the buck. That's why I think that they won't bring it over.

Now, they could do something spiffy with Chrysler and put the 270CDI engine in one of their cars like a Sebring and hope it sells. The six speed tranny and torquey motor might cause a stir and help Chrysler out of its tailspin.

They gotta do something there before it really crimps their budgets for MB.
    You can extrapolate your question to "Why would Mercedes want to sell E320's in place of E500's"?

I think the E class taken down to the low $40k's in price would open up a market here. After all BMW sells a lot of 525i's with automatic and non-sport package in that price range, but Mercedes has nothing to compete and I think the E270CDI would stack up well against the 525i. From what I've seen from their German web site, the E-class over in Europe has at least 7-8 different engine offerings and 2-3 distinct trim levels (Classic, elegance, avant garde). I certainly wouldn't expect them to bring everything over to the states, but the E270 CDI 6-speed still gets my vote.

On the "luxury" image issue, if they can offer a C-class Coupe here, they certainly won't damage their reputation with an E270 CDI which is about 5 rungs up the quality/luxury ladder.
  • mbdrivermbdriver Posts: 426
    merril - I agree that you shouldn't pay $2600 for a Mercedes extended factory warranty. However, I bought mine, to 8 years/100,000 miles for my 2000 E320, from Courtesy Motors in Chico, CA, just before the first anniversary of the sales date, for $1680 (I live in a DC suburb).

If you send me an e-mail, I'll provide contact info. BTW, my local dealer in Maryland estimated that the MB factory warranty covers about 90% of the original bumper-to-bumper warranty. I would opt for this coverage rather than an independent warranty company.
    I thought they were bringing the 4.0 liter turbodiesel over to the US sometime in the 04 model year for 2005.See Edmunds diesel engines article about it!
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    Wow footie you're making perfectly good sense, thats exactly what Mercedes does as far as deciding which models they'll sell here. Anyway, I think Mercedes will just see how well the E320 CDI does first, and then we might get the S320 or S400 CDI models next. I doubt they'll sell a entry level E270 CDI here too, but a C270 CDI would go like hotcakes, if diesels regain their popularity here. I don't see a manual diesel E270 CDI here, but Mercedes does a clutchless manual available over there for those cars.

M
  • nedzelnedzel Posts: 787
    A friend of mine is a salesman for a BMW/Mercedes dealer. The last time I spoke with him, he said that 90% of the BMWs that they sell are equipped with an auto transmission. Those of us who prefer manual transmissions are the rare minority in the US. The US market just isn't the same as the European market.

The emissions and safety certification is indeed expensive. For each model you have to emissions and safety test each variation of the powertrain. So adding a manual transmission option would be very expensive.

I'd love to see the E270 CDI 6 speed manual in the US, but I'd be surprised if they could sell more than 1000 of them.
  • mark156mark156 Posts: 1,992
    Topdog.... I have a 2000 E430 sport and have not had the problems that you have had. I had one fog light assembly replaced because it would not aim correctly and both vanity/sunvisors replace. I have 23,000 miles and have had no other problems so far. My seats are fine, dash is fine, window controller----controlling.

I do have a few rock chips on the front but no rust and my headlight lenses are crystal clear.

I'm thinking of trading mine soon and hope to get top dollar, we'll see.

mark156
    So the E320 CDI will be available in Spring 2004 for sure?
    Hey folks! Let's start a Mercedes Benz European Delivery Discussion!
    Is there much to discuss regarding MB ED program?. Last time I checked (1999), the discounts were pretty stingy (4.5% +/-) and the dealers were not willing to further discount the full MB ED price. Every dealer I talked to said they could match the ED price by discounting the US delivery car.

Compare that with BMW where a new 2004 530i listing for $52k could be purchased at $1,200 over ED Invoice for about $46k.

Enlighten me if the MB ED program has been revised to offer serious discounts. From my past experience, it was simply a novelty.
    Your ED confidential wholesale invoice price for the 04 530i is a wee bit high at $46k with the 1200 dealer profit added,it should be about $39K and change before options.If you check eurobuyers.com that is ED MSRP pricing.