Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedans

Comments

• rswaglerswagle Posts: 27
    Hi. Just got back form a test drive of the 05 CDI. WOW! Amazing power, excellent mileage, outstanding looks and of course it's a benz. So whats the problem? Where's the crowds knocking the doors down? Where's the discussions taking place on these boards talking about the merits of diesel v. longivity v. resource conservation v. technology leadership?
    I am thoroughly impressed and once the finances are sorted out, I am placing my order for European delivery. Was hoping to get feedback and a revived discussion regarding the E320 CDI. Moderator where are you!?
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,406
    The CDI is truely amazing. 27/37 EPA for such a vehicle is outstanding. Even the 4-cyl diesel Passat is only 1 mpg better. I do not understand how anybody looking at the E-class would consider anything but the CDI. I only wish they would offer the engine in more DC products. A magnum with the CDI would be transformed from a guzzler to a sipper. Pacifica would suddenly make more sence, and a minivan with that mileage (probably down to 25/34 because of weight and aerodynamics) would be amazing.
  • clpurnellclpurnell Posts: 1,087
    I think this is a great car and at a 2k premium to the regular 320 it is an awesome deal. I wish more cars would offer deisel options my family owned one of the last amreican made deisel cars ('83 cadillac seville). I think it is a quciker solution to our fuel problems than hybrids and as MB has proven diesels don't have to be loud or dirty anymore. The 320 CDI is definately in the running for my next vehicle.
  • fsmmcsifsmmcsi Posts: 792
    The excitement is centered on another DCX product, the Chrysler 300C. Besides the fact that the 320CDI is illegal in California and four other states, I understand that DCX only plans to import 3,000 of the 2005 models. Price is the other big problem. As I said above, comparably equipped, a 300C (with S-Class back seat room)is about $36,000 and a 320CDI is about $58,000.

Dudleyr, I agree, but please remember that the 300C and the Magnum R/T get far better mileage than you might think due to cylinder deactivation.

The engine in the E320CDI and the cylinder deactivation in the HEMI really prove that DCX has the right technology at the right time to really profit from rising fuel prices. They just need to offer it in more of their vehicles.
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    I seriously considered the E320 CDI before electing to go with a new 2004 Acura TL that we picked up on Saturday.

I would agree that the CDI is, IMO, the only E class to get, short of the $80k+ E55. It doesn't match the E500 in performance, but the difference is not that great. And if I thought I'd be driving upwards of 30,000 miles a year, I likely would have gone for it.

I hate to state the obvious in a way that sounds disrespectful of US manufacturers, but I can't believe that too many prospective buyers trying to decide between the various Mercedes E-class models would give a Chrysler brand product any consideration. Not that they shouldn't, but I just don't think it happens in the real world. The 300C may have S class rear seat room, but so does a Crown Victoria.

There are a lot of negative reports on Mercedes decline in product quality over the past several years, from Consumer Reports to JD Powers to almost all of the major industry reviewers. It is my understanding that the new E-class is an improvement. But any link to "Chrysler", even in name only, reinforces an image problem that Mercedes now needs to combat. We kept hearing that the merger would not affect Mercedes status or product quality, but the coincidence is too great to be ignored.

So, for now at least, the E320 CDI is the only "luxury" class diesel automobile sold in the US that has the additional appeal of great mileage and impressive performance.
  • jerrydrawjerrydraw Posts: 1
    I have a 99 E320 and an considering a 2002 E430. Is the E430 a sound investment, especially if it has low mileage and another two years on the warranty? Was the last year of the E430 a good one? I got a little gunshy about the new 03 and 04 E class reading on the web and seeing in the news about the multitude of problems and recall regarding the brakes. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
  • cartercarter Posts: 1
    My first try with MB, I have found a clean '00 320 and am looking for advise on items to look for before purchasing. Is the '00 model year a good bet?
  • corim3corim3 Posts: 3
    just came back from europe, most new e classes are a 220cdi, i rode in a few, very quick and very quiet. the 320cdi available in the states will have no problem keeping up with traffic.
  • barry45rpmbarry45rpm Posts: 98
    ...To our fuel problems. It is a PART of the answer, but only a part. The other part is discovering new sources & developing & pumping what we know we have right now. Oil as a main stream fuel only has another 20-25 years tops, until it is replaced by the next thing. (and it will have had a good run! The coal companies were stunned when we started choosing oil over coal at that time) In hindsight, we will look supremely stupid if we let our enemies ruin the world economy or let them destroy us, while we left the oil that we need now in the ground, never to be pumped again, because because in near the future we will use a newer fuel...invented right here.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,406
    Biodiesel is 100% renewable, so it will not run out - unless we can't grow crops anymore, in which case we have bigger problems.

That is part of the appeal of the 320 CDI, not just the economy, but the potential for total independence from imported oil. We are, after all, the breadbasket of the world, why not grow our fuel, instead of paying farmers to not grow anything.
  • clpurnellclpurnell Posts: 1,087
    Umm I owned the predecessor of the 300C the 300M. There is no way I would even consider a 300C after the exprience I had with the car and the dealerships. I have an Infiniti and a Honda now and the experience is worlds apart. The 300C will be worth 45% or less of what was paid for it in 24 months. Actually I haven't seriously considered MB because of the quality of my chrysler. However I wouldn't cross shop the 300C and the E-class at all.
  • fsmmcsifsmmcsi Posts: 792
    Yes, DCX is keeping the MB brand targeted to people who want to pay more. We own an '02 C230K, bought new in '03 for $25,500, but I am not going to write a check for a car with anything greater than a 3 at the left end of the amount.

However, the automotive press reports that the 300C is attracting some MB, BMW, Cadillac, and Lincoln trade-ins. For DCX, the excitment in North American is currently centered on the 300C and Magnum (introduction 6/17).

It is a shame that they only plan to import a few of the E320CDI cars, and that they are not (yet) offering diesel engines in all of the DCX cars sold here.

I won't post here anymore, but hope everyone has a good time with their new cars.
  • mark156mark156 Posts: 1,992
    I have a 2000 E430 sport that has 26,000 miles. The car has been virtually flawless. It has the coldest air conditioning which is a strong point for me on any car.

One small issue was that both vanity mirror covers broke off during warranty. Just the other day the passenger broke off again. These are made pretty cheap. Now that the car is out of warranty, I'll have to cough up the $200 (?). I only have 26,000 miles, how many times has this thing even been opened in 55 months... I can probably count on two hands!

I saw a 2005 E320 CDI on the lot and I was really shocked at the fuel mileage...27/37. This particular one listed for $56,000; had heated seats and the rear shade plus a few other options. Very tempting! When I went back a few days later to check the lot again, the CDI was gone. Someone snapped it up pretty quick!

I hope that Mercedes goes back to the old braking system, why mess with something that works perfectly?

Mark156
  • r1_97r1_97 Posts: 181
    Innovation comes from necessity. Pumping more oil and thus lowering the price is a temporary fix and will delay innovation.

In Europe they're paying $4.+ per gallon for gas. New diesel and hybrid designs come about because gas is expensive. Our dependence on foreign oil will continue until we bite the bullet and force more conservation and stimulate use of alternative energy sources. Is driving Hummer and gas guzzling sports cars worth the cost to our economy, environment and political sub servitude to oil nations who hate and exploit us?
  • r1_97r1_97 Posts: 181
    I read somewhere that growing corn for ethanol uses more energy then is generated by the crops. Anyone have more specific info on use of grow your own fuel? I know ADM made mega bucks political contributions for legislation mandating ethanol use in gas.
  • tomjavatomjava Posts: 136
    http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=7190

I never understand MB logic; why's wrong with conventional brake. Also I can't figure it out why E320 CDi has inline 6 and E320 has lousy 90 degree V6?

E320CDi will definitely replace my 1989 W124 300e which is unfortunately still running strong.
  • mynextcarmynextcar Posts: 30
    I have 02 E320, bought brand new two years ago. So far I just had one minor problem and very happy with it overall. I think E430 should be the same quality wise. The only negative about it is the OEM tires do not work well in the snow, so prepare extra bucks for winter tires if you live in snow area. I will defenitly keep my car until the last year of the current model.
  • 2dimples2dimples Posts: 3
    I have a 2000 e class. Today I noticed a small scratch on bumper. Should I use touch up paint on it?
  • boiler1boiler1 Posts: 56
    I would. Did you have something else in mind though?
  • wjj44wjj44 Posts: 1
    As an older diesel buyer, I struggled through the early VW diesels in the 70's. Owned 2 Audi 5000 diesels in the 80's OUCH!!! Bought and still own a 98 and 99 Mercedes E 300 turbo diesel. I reached the pinnacle of performance (I thought) with Mercedes. Good performance, acceleration and economy (25-28 mpg) plus luxury in a sedan.
    Throw out all of the above. The Mercedes E320 CDI I just bought leaves everything else in the dust (including their gas model 320).
    Not only is it in less than 2 weeks the greatest car I have ever owned (out of 500 throughout my life), but it is the best performing too. It is everything you have read plus more!