Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedans

Comments

• My story is funny, if it weren't so sad. I purchased my 4th new Mercedes, an E500 with active suspension, on August 27,2004. On August 2nd, the suspension failed and the front of the car went down on the front wheels (I find out that it is a common problem). At this point, my wife and I had driven the car fro NJ to Vero Beach, FL (which is equidistant between two Mercedes dealers).
    We called teleaid and MB semt a flat bed to pick up the E500 with 1300 miles. I sugested that maybe we should keep the car in the garage until after the hurricane (Frances), but was assured by the flat bed operator that Coggins Motors would take good care of my car.
    We got a call from Coggins, literally a week later, that they had the car and they would be fixing the front end, and , OH, you might call your insurance company, because your car has a lot of body damage from debris during the storm. Mercedes says it is not their problem. Sorry. What a way to handle customers and dodge obvious responsibility.
  • microrepairmicrorepair Eastern MassachusettsPosts: 508
    I'm sure you didn't mean that the front end collapsed on Aug. 2nd... Maybe Aug. 29th? Otherwise that's SPOOKY !!

This story would be hilariously funny, if they shipped the car back to NJ for the repairs instead of to one of the two dealers near you in Florida.
  • can someone help me find out about gasoline rating? what if i put 87 in my e?
  • Has anybody had XM installed in their E? If so how did it sound & what was the cost?
  • Probably nothing. My understanding is that the octane rating has more to do with anti-knock properties that anything else.
  • tlambtlamb Posts: 11
    I am somewhat discouraged by the problems reported about the E series on some of the Edmunds' boards. Can anyone comment, based on actual ownership, experienced insight, or good old intuition, whether the E320 CDI is a car to avoid or embrace?
  • I took delivery of an E320 CDI on 7/9/2004 from Star Motor Cars here in Houston, Texas. At my last fill up I only had 2053 miles on it. Since delivery I have had no problems and my mpg is 27.9 which is mostly in city driving. I recently drove to Dallas and back and averaged 35.33 mpg. I have noticed that the mpg is slowly increasing as the car is accumulating mileage. This is my second E320, the first was a 2001 and of course had a gasoline engine. I drove it for something over 40000 miles with only one problem that I remember and that was very minor, outside temperature display became erratic and the dealer replaced the instrument cluster. It is my opinion that only a few of the actual owners of MB that respond to these boards are satisfied with their autos. Therefore, it might be unfair to conclude the entire MB line as bad.
  • abd2abd2 Posts: 3
    hi every one
    im looking into this E320 1997
    with 105k miles on it
    its realy on good price
    i checked carfax and its clean from any major proplem?
    i won honda accord 2000
    should i go for this mb as second car?

thanks
  • mark156mark156 Posts: 1,992
    abd2, how good is the "good price"? A Mercedes with 105,000 miles could have a lot of issues. Carfax will only show how many times the car has been sold and damage right? Has the maintenace been done regularly? Give us more info.

Mark
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    FWIW, A friend of mine has offered to buy my 1995 Nissan Maxima SE w/153k miles for his daughter that is back in college and needs a car to commute to classes and home (300 mile rountrip) monthly. He thought about giving her his 1997 E420 with 110k miles, but has elected to sell/trade that car instead. His Mercedes has been very good, but did require a transmission replacement at 75k miles under extended warranty. Had it not been under warranty, the cost to him would have been in the $5,000 range. There are several other components he is a bit concerned about since he passed his 100k mile warranty limit. None of which are cheap to fix on a Mercedes.

My Maxima, on the other hand, is still on its origianl clutch and a factory replacement clutch through a Nissan dealer is only $400, if and when it's needed. The other components are still solid and much, much less expensive to fix on a Nissan.

I would think hard about buying a Mercedes with 105k miles unless you can easily afford the maintenance and potential repairs. If you can, and they aren't required, then you'll feel like a winner. But if you can't....
    hi mark thanks for reply
    the price $8000 with tax and every thing
    the car is very clean and have all the record
    and one owner only

what u think about that
    ?
    thanks bro
    thanks for the advise
    i can afford the maintenance

cuz its on cheap price only $8000
  • ctlctl Posts: 123
    a low mileage 1997 accord/camry can cost $8000, and there is certain NO comparison between them, if all things (maintainence/repairs) being equal. Go figure.

budget, say 2K each year for M&R along? others here may give you a better estimate
    Again, I would just point out that there are other alternatives for a "second car" than a cheap to buy, but potentially risky to maintain 1997 E320.

For example, back in 2001 I bought a new Honda S2000 for $32,000, drove it for 2 1/2 years and 19,000 miles and traded it in for $22,000. If I had wanted to go through the hassle of selling it privately, I likely would have gotten $24,000+. My maintenance over that period of time was under $300 total (Mobil 1 oil changes every 4,000 miles, etc.).

If you think you can't afford to buy something like a new Honda S2000 as a fun car, then you might reconsider the wisdom of buying an $8,000 Mercedes that could have a couple of multi-thousand dollar repairs (engine, transmssion, suspension) if you're unlucky. While I would certainly hope not, it is entirely possible that the "net" cost to you over the next 2.5 years on an 8 year old 100K+ mile Mercedes could approach what the Honda S2000 cost me. I was prepared to spend $10,000 on a third car for 2.5 years, especially since I turned it into my company car and got some tax savings that reduced the actual cost me by over 40%. But, in general, I think unnecessary second or third cars are a questionable purchase if you are on anything resembling a limited budget.

Certainly not trying to tell you how to spend your money, just suggesting you evaluate all angles before making your decision. Good luck whatever that is.
  • Thanks! I rented some cars for the weekend...a Cad. DeVille and put regular gas in that V8, nothing happened. It drove fine. Since my lease is only a couple years left, I'm thinkin about letting the gas tank empty and then going to 87 for my E320
  • r1_97r1_97 Posts: 181
    I've driven 2 E-320s, a 98 and my current 01. Both perform better on 91 than 87 octane. You won't hear knocking on 87 due to the on board computer adjusting to it, BUT, why give up performance. If you can afford an E320 get the performance you deserve.

OTOH, my wife's Lexus RX330 drive great on 87.
  • An acquaitance is selling a 98 E320 sedan, 65K miles in near cherry condition for around $18K. Some elements of this forum scare me. Especially talk of tranny problems. Is reliability a problem with these vehicles? I keep my cars a long time, and have always thought MB could go for the long haul. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance
  • microrepairmicrorepair Eastern MassachusettsPosts: 508
    Think long and hard about whether you want to pay big bucks within the next 20K-30K miles for a lot of maintenance items as well as the possibility of a head gasket for that engine. I kept my 96 until 140K and from 115K to 125K it cost me almost $4000 for the head gasket and various maintenance items such as shocks (approx. $700), serpentine belt ($125), rotors and pads (approx. $800), water pump ($400), and the head gasket ($1400). There were a few other smaller repairs also. Once it was all fixed up it probably could go another 60K or more miles without any significant maintenance money except for brake pads.

The 97 is the last year of the straight six for the E and it (as well as the 2.8 liter in the C-class) are notorious for requiring head gaskets (oil leaks) in the 120K-150K mile range. The price I paid was the lowest of three quotes, with other dealers being as high as $2000..

On the other hand, $8000 cash (not my dealer) is what I got from a dealer for mine at 140K miles and it was a year older than the one you're looking at. But he knew I paid for all those repairs..

And yes, it got regular and frequent oil changes, etc..

My "new" 2001 will get sold within a month of when the Starmark wararanty runs out at 100K miles. No more big repair bills for me..
  • I'm going to time some 0-60 mph runs and see if I can detect a difference in performance between 87 and 91 octane. I'll let you know the outcome in a couple of weeks.
    A 7 year old E320 for $18k doesn't seem like a very good price, at least in my area (DC). I've seen 2001's going for the low to mid $20's. As I've posted, I am not disputing that Mercedes can last a long time if properly maintained. I'm just pointing out, along with others, that repairs and maintenance will be a much bigger ticket than a Toyota or Honda.