Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedans

Comments

• bigrobnhbigrobnh Posts: 114
    Thanks for the uplifting story. As I said, I have no idea what Mercedes could do to fix the situation (other than close the dealership in Manchester and open a new one in Nashua).

It looks like there are an expanding number of choices to replace my 4matic when I can't take it anymore. M35x, GS300x, RL. There's always the A6 and I think I read the 5 series is coming in AWD. I don't trust the former and I don't like the appearance of the latter. You can even look at 300c and a Ford 500 (well, not really). There are quite a few choices in the mid sized AWD sedan category now.

I'm leaning toward the M35x and the RL, primarily because the dealers are local. I'd like the GS but that is also a Manchester dealership and involves the 50+ mile round trip. On top of that the GS does not have the 11K-12K mile service interval of the E320. That is the ONLY thing that has maintained my sanity.

Regards,

BigRob.
  • mark156mark156 Posts: 1,992
    Lastbenz, what an unfortunate story. If I had the same experience as you have, I would run and never look back.

Fortunately, both my E-class and ML-class have been really good. There have been more issues with the ML but both have performed superbly.

Shipo, what a wonderful story. I must have missed your previous ones as I didn't remember you working for MBNA. Keep the stories coming, they are very interesting!

I most likely trade the ML in this fall and might go with the new ML but it now does not offer a third seat. I might have to move up to the R-class suv. The Land Rover LR3 is another strong possiblity. If Lexus would update the LX430, that would be a strong contender.

Have a great day, Mark156
  • SylviaSylvia Posts: 1,636
    A reporter would like to interview someone who recently bought a large sedan such as a Mercedes E-Class, Lexus LS 430, Mercury Crown Victoria or any large Cadillac or Lincoln.

Please send your daytime contact info to jfallon@edmunds.com by Friday, February 11, 2005.
  • Dear Sir,

Forgive this late reply to your commentary, but I am one of those God forsaken who gambled on MB being "bullet-proof" and indeed have transmission problems out of warranty with a '94 E320 sedan (~128k miles).

I loved the car when I saw it 2 yrs ago, and followed that lust in replacing an '89 E300 with ~180k miles.

I am soooo upset with Mercedes Benz for not building the tank I had expected this car to be. It was too much of a gamble at 46 and kids approaching college years.

SO, I leased a 2004 Honda Accord coupe as a low cost alternative to my E320 in July 2004. I cannot come to terms to even sell my E... it is still sitting in my drive way 7 months later! Its in working order only no reverse gear. I'm afraid to find out that I might only net ~$4000... a damn paralyzing experience.

Any suggestions of insights would be appreciated.

KSE
  • r1_97r1_97 Posts: 181
    No problen with late reply as I just returned here myself due to a hard drive (computer - not car) crash.

As for suggestions: Save your love,lust and other emotions for humans, not cars. A car without a reverse gear is NOT in working order. Think of your '94E as an beautiful, sexy but expensive mistress. Pay for your pleasure or get rid of it.
  • mezecamezeca Posts: 66
    Have you ever really seen a brand new car with doors that are not aligned? Especially as bad as the one's being described? The only time I've ever seen door alignment to be off that severely is from side impact damage.
  • I want to buy new Mercedes Benz in a few days
    E-class 320 4-matic model with following options.

1: Deser silver exterior
    2: Premium package
    3: Heated fron seats

If some one has recently bought similar car then I want to know how much he/she bought it for.

I will then use this information to negotiate and bargain proper price.

Ashok
  • Ashok - I don't remember the exact cost of my 2005 E320 CDI; however, the cost was MSRP plus TT&L. The dealers in Houston would not discount the CDI when I made my purchase. Good luck.
  • garyh1garyh1 Posts: 386
    You might get more response on the "Mercedes Benz E-Class: Prices Paid & Buying Experience" forum.

Good luck!
  • kevinc5kevinc5 Posts: 204
    I have my 2000 E320 in for service at 90K miles and asked the service advisor what che charge would be for the recommended 100K spark plug change.
    Hmmm...$330.
    Is that in the ballpark? I'm sure the plugs are handcrafted in the Black Forrest by little auto worker elves, but it still seems a little high.
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    If I remember correctly your car has 12 spark plugs, and at a street price of something like $6.00 per plug you are talking about $72 for parts. Assuming that the dealership is REALLY going to stick it to you, the price will be $10 per, totalling $120. That leaves $210 for labor, working out to three hours at $70 per hour.

Hmmm, at that price, I'd be inclined to either do it myself or find a good independent shop to do it for me.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • kevinc5kevinc5 Posts: 204
    Thanks, I needed that...
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    Anyone here driven the new E350 yet?

M
  • sjeedsjeed Posts: 39
    I have and am very impressed. It has good power and almost negates the need to jump to an E500. In fact I am well along in my negotiations to lease one. Let me know if you have any specific questions.
  • Very interesting story... I am not in the car business but I had several business trips to Germany. I was told that there are 3 ways of doing business: the right way, the wrong way and the GERMAN way. The plant manager that I dealt with NEVER went down to production line, he would channel his voice thru a general manager, the GM would channel it down to plant chemist, then line chemist/engineer then production people. Quite an interesting hierachy. No wonder why the Japanese can and will capture a larger share of luxury car market. I drive an E320 now, like it. But for sure my next car will be a Lexus for its reliability. My '87 Camry has 190K miles on it and NO major problems, only replacement of wear and tear
    Happy driving
    "...zee GERMAN vay..."

Gee, that sounds familiar. ;-) When I was with MB-USA I ran into that syndrome a lot. I had written a large application for the North American market that the Germans wanted adapted from English to a multi-lingual Europe wide application, while at the same time they also wanted it modified from the DBMS back end that we were using over here to the one that they MANDATED everybody use (the Americans I reported to over here were a little more flexible). The thing was, the DBMS that they forced on me for the European version of the truth was ill suited for this application, and as such required easily 10 times the number of lines of code (totaled between the Client and the Server) to accomplish the same results (let alone the extra coding for the different languages).

Then there were the lengthy meetings on how certain tasks should be accomplished. They would print these huge schemas and tape them to the wall (easily covering an area 5' high and 20' long), and then we would argue about the best methodology. The only reason why I won a few rounds was that I'd been down the same path before (when I wrote the N.A. system), and so I was able to walk them through their preferred logic and show them the pitfalls. In the end, they made the arguments that I did win sound like it was their idea all along, "Zee, ve toldt you zat eet vood verk zis vay."

At times like that I would shut my mouth, wipe the smile off my face and dutifully execute the system the "vay I vaz toldt to do eet." ;-)

Regarding cars, it's kind of funny how one person's reality differs from another's. In my case, by a huge margin the most unreliable car that I have ever had was a 1993 Japanese car, while the flip side is that my last two German cars (both BMWs) have yet to have so much as a single fault (unless you want to count two burned out taillights in my 1999 328i).

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • In my opinion, trust is what we all have to earn in the business world. Repeated customers are even more important. Once we are happy with a certain names, be it Toyota, Lexus, MB,BMW, Sony, Buick... most likely we will return to that brand, unless we got screwed ,even one time.. I like my 96 E320, but with all of the publicity about MB quality, I am concerned every time I drive it... Maybe I am overly concerned, but I never had the same concern when I drive my 87 Camry. My first new car was 78 Monte Carlo, and I told myself that I will never try American made cars again... It's a matter of trust, it's not there anymore. I trust Toyota,Honda,MB.. so don't lose my trust because I will never give them another chance
    Happy driving
    I hear you on the trust thing. While I have a fairly high tolerance for mechanical failures, just so long as the manufacturer/dealer stands behind the product and fixes it with a minimum of fuss. That was why I didn't buy another Japanese car, the manufacturer/dealers (two different ones) refused to stand behind the product. I've never had that problem from an American or a German car.

Like you said, "don't lose my trust because..."

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    Ok thanks, and let us know what happens with the E350 if you get one. When I looked at it at the Chicago autoshow I didn't see any other changes other than the engine and the center console, which was a running change on the E320.

M