Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedans

Comments

• merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    Not sure why they aren't importing a E550 wagon because the E500 wagon at least seemed like it was popular, but without the actual sales numbers........

M
    1. 4Matic models, no its still the 5-speed, 7-speed doesn't fit with the 4Matic hardware.

2. No.

3. Probably about 1K or so price increase.

4. No idea about the AMG package yet. The man made leather is a European thing only.

M
  • edspider1edspider1 Posts: 195
    I could have sworn I saw some pricing sheets for the 2007 and while the base price went up a little, the options got redone such that for a lot of people, the net price is lower.

I had a rear camera on my last two cars and loved it. I was worried about just having Parktronic when I switched to the E. What I found is the E is just easier to backup and park than the larger LS or odd shaped M. I don't miss the backup camera as much as I thought I would.

I decided I'd rather have the 7 speed and better mpg than AWD. Chicago has only a couple of bad snow days and the roads I travel are plowed quickly. Besided the stability control in the benz is excellent.
    Yeah that was a MBUSA to dealers letter I posted earlier in this thread from a post from MBWorld.org. They are regrouping the options and adding standard equipment but I'm not sure if the final price will come out cheaper, we'll see.

I had a rear camera on my last two cars and loved it. I was worried about just having Parktronic when I switched to the E. What I found is the E is just easier to backup and park than the larger LS or odd shaped M. I don't miss the backup camera as much as I thought I would.

I'm glad you saw the design for what it is and not for what it didn't have. I've seen a few people on other board pass on the E because it didn't have a backup camera and I'm thinking uhh...it doesn't need one.

M
  • esfesf Posts: 1,020
    I happen to live in Chicago also- do you live in the city or the suburbs?

I live in the suburbs, where black E320s are a dime a dozen (as well as RX330s, which we have now), so we'd be thinking about getting that fabulous dark green color on the E350 4Matic, with the AMG package.

However, my wife insists on AWD, and I too think it's necessary. Weather is so unpredictable here, it might snow a lot this winter! Tell me how your E goes through the winter... in December! We'll be getting our new car in January, so it would be great if you could remember to report a month before that.

Thanks!

'06 Audi A3 2.0T DSG • '05 Audi S4 Cabriolet • '04 Lexus RX330
    I happen to live in Chicago also- do you live in the city or the suburbs?

I live in the western burbs. Trust me I get tired of seeing Mercedes' sometimes especially on a good sunny Saturday.

M
  • jobiejobie Posts: 47
    I too have been eyeing the E350 - I need to get out of an SUV lease - my LR3 is great when I need the space (which is about 10% of the time), but the 13 mpg is killing me, and I miss the driving fun. I'm in upstate NY so our winters are probably similar...I've had RWD BMW's in the past, and with 4 snows I never had much trouble. With traction & stability control, it's tough to get in trouble. Usually stopping is more important than starting. With the price difference and 7sp auto vs. the 5 sp, I'm leaning away from the 4matic. Does anyone else out there have any experience with the 4matic vs the RWD - either in snow or in routine dry road handling?? BTW I love the way BMW's drive, but the new styling and I-drive really turn me off; and I hear the new E350 will have tighter steering and suspension.
    (LOL)- I'm not going to stalk you or anything, but what suburb exactly? If this is too personal, you don't have to answer.

Almost the ONLY reason I want the AMG package is because there are infinite E-Classes where I live- and I'd like mine to look different.

Or "better"- either one!

;)
    After reading Insideline's 2007 E-Class article, I was blown away.

I have never seen so much praise for a midsize sedan- not one flaw.

And they even said it looks more elegant than the S-Class! That makes us happy- my wife doesn't want to be upstaged by her friend, who just got the S550 (hahah I know- image problem).

The interior, while not as fresh as the A6's, is very elegant and functional. The exterior, on the other hand, looks somehow 100% better- that bodykit they added on it is perfect.

Now, we're thinking Airmatic suspension, for sure 4Matic AWD, Sport Package, and Sirius Satellite Radio.

We're going to refrain, though, until she drives it- and takes the Range Rover Sport for a 24-hour test drive.

Again- blown away. The review was more glowing than for the reviews of the new S, which is described as perfect.

:surprise:

'06 Audi A3 2.0T DSG • '05 Audi S4 Cabriolet • '04 Lexus RX 330
    (LOL)- I'm not going to stalk you or anything, but what suburb exactly? If this is too personal, you don't have to answer.

Aurora to be exact, and you?

Well if you get a 2007 E you'll have a unique car for at least 2 months...lol!

What E-Class article are you talking about?

M
    I live in Glencoe- where E-Classes are too numerous to count, much like the Lexus RX330.

If we get an E550, which I just began to consider today because Insideline said it was "perfect" in every way, (and its massive power) I'm sure we'll have a highly admired car- I'm fairly sure it has more power than the last-generation E-Class's AMG model! ('01 E55 AMG)

Also, I am a huge fan of the 2007's looks. They somehow transformed the car's styling from bland to very sharp- you should read the article. They even said it's more elegant than the new S-Class.

The article is "2007 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedans" on edmunds.com/insideline.

Options we're now considering: (E350 4Matic) Premium Package, Sport Package, Sirius Satellite Radio. Same options for the E550 4Matic, if we really need an extra 110hp- it would be nice for me, but it would be a bit embarrassing to say that my wife, who drives considerably slower than me, had 40 more horsepower.

Would be nice, though...

I live in Glencoe- where E-Classes are too numerous to count, much like the Lexus RX330

Oh, a rich guy! I'm sure in that area E's are like Accords.

Well no car is perfect including the E-Class. I'll be watching to see what others say, even Edmunds when they actually test the car.

M
    Hah I know Glencoe is quite a "jappy" town- but I'm not on the pretentiously wealthy part, thank you very much!

You see even more E's in Highland Park... and the S-Class is booming over here. I'm happy to say I've only seen one GL- and don't plan on seeing many more. There's just no fizzle to that car; one of my friends are going to trade in their LX470 today, and they're most likely going to get another LX or GX because the GL is too plain-looking (their words, not mine).

It's really a marvel how Mercedes-Benz can make cars as beautiful as the SL and as uninspired as the GL... I guess SUVs are just not their forte.

Happy Mother's Day
    It's really a marvel how Mercedes-Benz can make cars as beautiful as the SL and as uninspired as the GL... I guess SUVs are just not their forte.

Well the SL is not only a car, but its a roadster. It is one thing to design a SUV and a roadster. Anyway SUVs aren't the forte of any of the German carmakers. Some SUVs do look better than others for sure, but none of them look as good as the average good looking car IMO so it really is matterless to me.

M
    There are a few select SUVs, that I admire for their individualism, if not their overall sanity:

Range Rover Sport

G-Wagen

Q7

LX/RX*

X5*

FX

*These models, while high in volume, are different- because if they were like every other SUV, they wouldn't be selling so well. They deserve their success.

These SUVs are almost as close to my heart as most sedans, but I have a soft spot for convertibles...

;)
  • nuvalarinuvalari Posts: 1
    I just read a review here on the new E550 sedan. In that review it says the E63 will use the 5-speed tranny that the E55 used. All other sources ( including the AMG website) says the e63 will use the 7-speed. Could that have been an editors mistake? :(
    The 7 speed tranny is larger than the 5 speed. It might be 6.3L engine takes up enough room such that only the 5 speed will fit.
    I read that review and thought it was lacking in any useful detail. I have the 2006 model and could see only very minor differences. While I love my E and for me it is perfect, I didn't understand where the author of that was coming from.

I'll be much more interested in what the 2009 E looks like. That's when they really get a chance to dribble down some of the new S-Class perks.
    It would've been nice if they had the price of the E350 4Matic- that's what I'm in the market for, (2007 version) and I'm sure Mercedes-Benz has released the prices by now.

Does anybody know when the updated E is coming out? I'm guessing this summer, or fall?

ed, which E do you own? I have a thing for E-Classes- the current one is just getting extremely tired, and/or bland, to my eyes. Although it's elegant, I see Funeral Black E320s so much that I'd like to get a purple one with a yellow interior to really stand out!

Haha just kidding... :P
    Edmunds made a mistake, the E63 uses the 7G-Tronic automatic revised by AMG as does the CLK63 and CLS63.

The 07' E-Class lands here in July. It goes on sale in Europe June 10th and figure on a month later for the U.S. market.

edspider1 - the real changes are under the skin, steering, brakes (no longer of the electronic variety), engines and some interior refinements.

M