Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedans

Comments

• drew_drew_ Posts: 3,382
    You're welcome! A short while after the switch to synthetic, you should notice a slight improvement in engine smothness and noise, and perhaps even a marginal (0.5-1 mpg) improvement in fuel economy. At least this was my experience after the switch.

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket and Accessories message boards
  • turbotcturbotc Posts: 163
    Drew,

I heard negative comments on Castrol Syntec. Some people (including Mobil) said they "falsely advertised' and that it isn't a true synthetic oil. I would definitely stick to Mobil 1 if they give me a choice. I asked my dealer yesterday and they said "Nope, that is new to me. We only use Kendall here." Kendall? No Thanks.
  • jean7of9jean7of9 Posts: 192
    Amount does not include labor charge. Next time I will visit Walmart before the dealership. By the way the engine is noticeably smoother than before and the cabin noise level at highway speed is comparable to the GS-400 (this is a compliment).
    Jean
  • drew_drew_ Posts: 3,382
    Vinh, all MBUSA dealerships should be using ONLY MB approved synthetic oils by the middle of next week, so make sure that the oil that they're using is one of those on the list. Yes, if they have Mobil 1 (and they should) certainly go with it if it's what you want.

Jean, that sounds rather pricey for what you got then. No matter, it's a small premium to pay for the benefits. At least you'll know what to do the next time around. Go with the Mobil 1 15W50 at Walmart; FYI, Mobil 1 0W40 is not for the general public consumption, and hence only available at MB dealerships.

Here's something interesting. Mobil 1 specifies on their website that 15W50 is for "high tech imported cars". Guess all of the MB vehicles qualify! :-)

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket and Accessories message boards
    Drew. Thanks for the info. I called my dealer and spoke with a different advisor and he told me that they ae using Kendall Synthetic oil for MY2000 and MY2001 vehicles only. He said I could request Mobil 1 at no additional costs. I asked him about if I wanted to have oil changed in between schedule service. His reply was "Well you would have to pay for it. We charge $9 a quart for Mobil 1 and you are looking at 5 quarts so I say about $70 for the service." 5 Quarts? Where did they get these guys from? Hello? It's 8.5 quarts. $9 a quarts, no thanks.
  • I'm in the 2nd week of ownership of a Silver/Charcoal E320 w/ E2, Heated Seats & CD Changer. The car is fantastic!! I haven't had a Benz since 1997 (I owned a 1992 190E-2.6 new). Now I remember how great these automobiles are! I paid about 5% over invoice & took a 39-month lease -- After that I'll be ready for the new model E-class, which will have been out for a little over 1 year.

I have a couple of questions that I'm sure I can get answers to here:

- are the memory seats, mirrors, etc. stored by the key? I can't find that info in the manuals

- has anyone experienced installing the mud flaps themselves?

Thanks
    Congratulation for a great car.
    a) My 99 E320 has the memory feature on the 3 driver door buttons only. I think it is same for the 01 E.
    b) I am using mud guards since 14 months. These mud flaps are not bolted to the body, but attached with clips. Unless you are careful you may lose the rear ones when backing into snow banks or tire guards. You should be careful enough when when backing, otherwise you will find they are quite efficient.
    Enjoy the ride.
    Jean
  • 4186441864 Posts: 4
    I Have a 99' E320 4matic. I Live in Virginia. What viscosity of Mobile 1 should I be using?
  • vp16vp16 Posts: 23
    Here's the site for Mobil 1 oil formulations and a brief description:

http://www.mobil.com/mobil1_racing/about/products/engineoil/10w_30/index.html

I just put some 5W30 in my 01 430.
  • mbdrivermbdriver Posts: 426
    Suggest review of Drew's Post # 898. MB is going with at least 40 weight oil, so I would assume that either 5W40 or 15W50 would be fine for Virginia. I'm in Northern Virginia and will use one or the other when I have my first oil change at 5000 miles.

carshopping4 - I believe the memory for the driver's seat, headrest, outside mirrors, etc. is activated by first pressing the appropriate numbered button on the driver's door (1, 2 or 3) and then pressing the green button below the others. My '00 E320 has the same feature on the passenger's (right) door for the front passenger seat only. The key will not store the settings.
  • microrepairmicrorepair Eastern MassachusettsPosts: 508
    Re: questions on memory buttons;
    If you want to SAVE settings, you first push the green button and then whichever number you want to store the settings in.
    If you want to RECALL your settings after someone else has changed the settings, just push and HOLD the 1, 2, or 3 button, whichever you had set for yourself, until everything stops moving.
  • ahmadmahmadm Posts: 15
    I see the message from 'jures' (post# 900), in which he mentions that he changes oil every 5K miles. Any recommendations on this ... is changing oil more frequently beneficial? Some of my friends have suggested that the MB's FSS is possibly a high tech gimmick since they now cover regular service as part of the purchase. Before the FSS, MB used to advise oil change at every 5K. Any opinions?
    I recently changed the oil myself. At 5500 miles, I changed out a new filter and 8.5 quarts of Mobil 1 5w-30. When the car is due for 1st schedule service, I will let the dealer do it. i will request Mobil 1 but who knows what brand they use. Then between schedule service I will change myself. I actually enjoy doing it. Get the radio on the garage and take my time and do it right.
  • mbdrivermbdriver Posts: 426
    My service advisor at the MB dealer said an oil change every 3000 miles was unnecessary; he recommended every 5000 miles. The computer in my '00 E320 indicates the first service in another 9200 miles -- and I have about 4700 on the 9-month old car. So I'll have the first oil/filter change at 5000 and switch to Mobil 1 5W40.

BTW, several months ago someone posted a lengthy report on oil changes by Consumer Reports. It was based on testing the oil contamination/quality on several NY taxis and, if memory serves, there was no appreciable engine wear even after going 7000 miles of stop-and-go driving. So, perhaps the MB FSS is okay.

Drew, can you help here?
  • I have E320 2000 and changed my own oil at the 5000 mile interval. Most of the dirving is
    highway. If one can judge by looks of the oil, I hate I went to the trouble. Also, the MB dealer
    recommended 10W30.
  • juresjures Posts: 42
    I installed the h7 optilux bulbs in in the headlights of my y2k e320 11/2/00, this morning the drivers side went out, called the dealer for warranty replacement, he stated he was not impressed in the new design on the optilux bulbs, that I should send them back to him and he would return my money. doesn't sound good for a long term optilux solution, I should have ordered xenons with the car. does anyone have a sucess story with long term use of optilux or some other brand, i really like the whiter look. thanks roger
  • taisontaison Posts: 71
    I have installed these and they are great. They are not as blue as the Hella Optilux, but they do put out more light. There is no tint to them therefore allowing more light.

Here is a link to a website that did tests on them and several other bulbs. The VisionPluses were the best.

I purchased mine from http://www.suvlights.com

I installed mine around the same period and the passenger side failed few weeks later. I sent them back early January 01 for replacement and was told it will take 5-6 weeks. Apparently Hella new production can barely cover the warranty replacement for H7 55w. I do not understand the statement "he was not impressed in the new design". Does he mean that new production of Optilux is worst than last year? I spoke to him on Monday and he assured me that the new production is definetly more reliable.
    Jean
  • hq200hq200 Posts: 1
    I was on this board months back when we got our 00 e320 and enjoyed it. The only "problem" that has come up on this fine car is the continously smeared windshield during a rain storm. I've washed the glass, wipers, you name it to no avail. I seem to recall it was a common problem with this car; a case of an over engineered windshield wiper? In any event, I'd appreciate any info on helping to remedy this problem, thanks in advance.
    Mike
  • I also agonized about waiting until the fall of 2002 for the 2003 E430, but ended up going ahead with a 2001 E430 4Matic. I ordered it in late September 2000. The scheduled delivery in January was missed, and now they are saying March. Whenever I have a recurring doubt about my decision I just visit the showroom. One look at the car and I'm sold again. Besides, it should be more reliable than the 2003, and I heard the 4Matics may not be available at the introduction.

The 2003 will apparently be "evolutionary". To see an artist's rendition of it, look no further than the Edmunds site! From the Edmunds home page, go to "Editorials", then "Future Telling", then choose Mercedes Benz. Voila, it's there!