Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedans

Comments

• jneejnee Posts: 21
    I agree with donald02. That's why I was saying I wasn't getting a fair deal. Depending on availability and demand, I knew I might have to pay a little more, but the quotes they're giving me are too high. It seems like they're trying to keep all of the incentive and getting me to pay for the dealer's commission too. Remember what I said about the cd changer during the chat(the price of the car is worse)? $800-900? That's absurd. Out of everyone, only 2 dealers were fair. But didn't have my second choice color either. So still thinking about those. If things don't work out there's always 2002:) Still appreciate your thoughts:) Thanks.
  • mbnut1mbnut1 Posts: 403
    I can completely relate. I haven't had a brand new car in twenty years and I'm ready. What's on your short list?? Lots of great choices out there, the new C's are very nice.
  • jneejnee Posts: 21
    will all the '03Es have the new braking system?
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    Well actually I'm considering (realistically) a BMW 330Ci Convertible, Passat W8 or maybe a used 2000 E430. I'm kinda confused right now. I'm not sure if I want another convertible or not. Then I have to think do I really want a 4-door car? I'm just not sure at this point.

M
  • quirkquirk Posts: 5
    i have a 1995 E320 wagon, 15" wheels, is the bolt hole pattern the same for 1996 and newer wheels,(16") ??? thinking about going larger but was going to stick to MB wheels.

thanks

carl
  • boladojboladoj Posts: 8
    Can anyone give me insight on how to install the cd changer? I have found the wires but the dealer has said that I do not need any brackets for installation. Where does the changer attach to?

Thanks
  • finadvfinadv Posts: 59
    A few weeks ago, someone posted a website that had replacement gearshift knobs. They are really sharp looking. Can someone tell me how you remove and replace the knob? I have a '98 E320. Thanks.
  • rowlandjrowlandj Posts: 254
    If it's the same as the 2000 - turn the metal ring just under the head of the know - let it drop down - pull (do not turn) the knob straight up.

Remove the old ring - put the new one on - push the new know straight down - reattach the ring.

That's it - took all of a minute.

JR
  • jawandajawanda Posts: 30
    I installed a changer myself in my '01 wagon, but I did it in a cheesy yet effective manner. I assume you see the "slot" it can slide into vertically. I made a container out of some styrofoam that I had lying around that I fit very snugly into the space, with a hole cut out for the wires. Considering the added cushioning of styrofoam, I'm pretty happy with it. I couldn't figure out a reasonable way to attach it to any of the holes I saw there.
  • jparrottjparrott Posts: 15
    tendons Jun 11, 2001 8:12pm

My standard vanilla '98 E320 wanders/hunts just like your E55, and I didn't even have to pay extra for it! The car only has 15,000 miles on it. I don't know, maybe that's just the way these things are. It's got the Eagle LS tires. I, too, thought it must really be a windy day. But that's secondary to my major complaint--the seats. Why can't MB build a seat that's as comfortable as my wife's 2001 T-5 Volvo? The E-320 seat is so hard your belt loop gouges into your spine and you can feel the seams in your jockey shorts!
    Thanks for the quick response. The site that I saw the knobs on is airpressusa.com. I like the burlwood and aluminum one. My only concern with them is its seems that their knobs have a stick on logo. What did you add and where did you get it?
  • rowlandjrowlandj Posts: 254
    I believe performanceparts.com was the real store behind the auction - mine is burl wood. One caveat there is slightly more brown in this one so it is not a perfect match, but I do like it much more than the original.

Mine does not have a logo on it at all, it's just "plain wood".

JR
  • gpvsgpvs Posts: 214
    I believe most knobs for newer MB's are interchangeable. I have changed mine to a plain burlwood with no logos. I think http://www.precisionauto.com/ has some nice ones that are on the S-class section. I think they're similar to the airpressusa ones. I think the ones with burlwood and a matching leather looks nice.
  • bargamonbargamon Posts: 302
    the knob you mention from airpressa is a knockout. I got it and it looks great. The wood matches perfectly and the aluminum is a great touch. Not too flashy and works well with the other chrome highlights on the dash. I get constant complements and my friends get them for thier cars. the stick on logo is infact a well made laminated plastic piece that snaps in to a precut area giving it a recessed look. It works well and feels good in the hand. It is very reasonably priced campared to alot of wood and leather versions I have seen. In the airpress site look under "all models" and you'll find it. It installs in seconds. can you tell im happy with it?
    You do indeed sound pleased. I'm convinced. I just placed the order with airpress for the burlwood and aluminum one. I'll post my thoughts after I get it and install it.

Thanks
  • tomskytomsky Posts: 8
    I got my burlwood shift knob from http://www.gapa.com/. Go to page 9 of Mercedes specials. It's all wood without the leather top. It also has an elegant chrome ring. The wood matches perfectly with the center console.

Jack

• tendonstendons Posts: 43
    I think the wandering has decreased alot after 5000 miles, but it's still not rock solid. I had some slight drifting to the right which a .3 degree adjustment of castor seemed to help a whole lot. Will be taking a long trip next week and will see how the wandering goes.
    I'm not sure about seats. I had vast difficulties with the bmw740sport-comfort seats and with the mercs multicontour seats things still aren't absolutely wonderful. I keep making adjustments with the lumbar support, and seat hight and rake. It may be me at this time, but I remember and more so does my wife the complaints I had about the seats in the 93500e for the first two years.Getting old's a [non-permissible content removed], even in a mercedes.
  • gadomgadom Posts: 16
    Where can I find an aftermarket cd player that is compatible with the cars (2001 E320) audio system.
    Thanks.Also any good source for aftermaket accessories?
  • muddogmuddog Posts: 26
    I seem to recall reading here some time back that the Ems have a problem involving using the key to roll down the windows. Sometimes, when you then try to roll the window back up, it "falls" down several inches. VERY annoying.

Is this common, and is there a permanent fix for it?

I have a 2001 E430 I with about 9000 miles on it. I take it in for initial FUSS service in a couple of months.

Thanks.

Mud dog
  • mbdrivermbdriver Posts: 426
    I've experienced the same thing in my 2000 E320 and have found two fixes. One, learned from this forum, is to use the key fob to lower all four windows and open the moon roof (hold the unlock button down); then, use the key fob again to raise the windows and close the moon roof. I understand this synchronizes everything.

I've also discovered that, after a rear window is raised and then drops down several inches, keeping pressure on the appropriate rear window "up" switch for a few seconds usually returns the window to the full up position, and it remains there.

I hope this works for you. Let us know.
  • rokinkeadrokinkead Posts: 18
    The solution to that problem is in the manual. It is not a flaw, but rather a consequence of design. Therefore, it will happen again, and cannot be permanently "fixed".
  • When I picked up my 2000 E320, I recall the sales guy noting that that drop down of a couple of inches was a safety feature to avoid having the window close on something (like a kid's hand that was accidentally in the way). Elsewhere on this forum, I recall someone reporting that the sensitivity of this feature can be adjusted by the dealer. Might be dreaming, but I thought someone said that.

Jeff
    this is a pretty good deal in comparison to the dealers price:

http://www.discountcarstereo.com/OEM/OEMChangers.htm

I also could not find a reasonable place to screw in the changer. I just "threw" it in the area where the wires are kept (back side to the bottom of the car, front facing up). So far it is working but there must be a way to attach it.

I am thinking of putting in a subwoofer to give the stereo a little bottom end. It will be a fabricated enclosure either by the first aid box or in the middle of the spare tire.

jack
  • varigvarig Posts: 99
    Is $52,200 (incl tax) a good price for 2001 E320 4Matic Sedan (Obsidian Black, E2, Heated Seats).
  • jawandajawanda Posts: 30
    A couple of sites have the Becker 2662, which is the one you need (connects to fiber-optic system, etc.). www.autotoys.com or www.continentalimports.com has them for something like $435. Connecting the changer is trivial, mounting it in the wagons(as mentioned a few posts ago) is not so obvious. Sedan should be easier.
  • ahmadmahmadm Posts: 15
    Does anyone know of any MB model which is a 4 door convertible and available in US?
  • I just posted on my Car page, the best photos available of the NEXT E class. At:

http://www.thehollywoodextra.com

Just scroll down to my link( in red ).

It's actually my roommate's site.

I also posted undisguised pictures of the SL
  • juresjures Posts: 42
    the best pricing I received on a 2001 e class is the edmunds invoice price - $2000. I am moving up from a 2000 e320 4 matic to a 2001 e430 4 matic that is loaded with equipment and color I want. the dealer is transferring the extended warranty and doing some other things.. I almost jumped into a 2001 bmw 740, but the 4 matic keeps me in a mercedes. roger
This discussion has been closed.