Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedans

Comments

• jean7of9jean7of9 Member Posts: 192
  • autgrautgr Member Posts: 1
    I'm new to the board so excuse me if this has been addressed before (but please answer). I've just bought a used '98' 320 and found that the headlamps are completely fogged and filled with condensation. Is this a common problem and can it be remedied easily... can the lamps be taken apart and clean or are they sealed? Also, I have cracks in the dash, common? any cure? Thanks in advance for any help.
    I had the same problem with my 99 E-320. The light housing covers were replaced under warranty. If your car is under a Signature Warranty have your dealer replacing the light assembly covers with the sealing rubber. If it is not then you will have to inspect each cover separately and check whether it is perfectly in place. This humidity will shorten the life of your bulbs to several months instead of many years. By the way MB re designed this light assembly housing for the 2000 model.
    Jean
  • mbnut1mbnut1 Member Posts: 403
    Dash cracks have been a commonly reported problem for the 96+ E320's
  • cce182cce182 Member Posts: 40
    I have a 2000 E430-4matic: came with Goodyear Eagle F1's. They're about worn and I'm disinclined to get the same tires again. Expensive and way too noisy, although great in rain and with a cool-looking tread design. (I use Blizzaks in the winter and they're actually quieter than the F1's!)

Anyone have any experience with quiet tires or other tire recommendations?

My priorities, in order, are noise/ride, handling right behind noise, and treadwear as less of an issue. Tirerack rates some of their tires this way, but not all of them. I'm also suspicious of rating numbers carried to three decimal places for the subjective evaluations they present. Their ratings are a great start, but I'd like to hear what folks here have to say.
  • dunninladunninla Member Posts: 33
    I just replaced three weeks ago a set of Dunlop sp8000 at 20k with Pirelli PZero Rosso, on my 17' AMG wheels. The difference is remarkable...these Pirellis are very quiet, very grippy, handle bumps quite well and although it is not very important in LA, they rate extremely will in wet. Per Luke over there at Tirerack, if noise and ride are #1 criterion, these tires cannot be beat. The Bridgestone Pole Position S-03 are very good but also much more noisy, thought I'll bet not as noisy as your F-1. Their only average performance is in ititial steering response, which is less precise than the Dunlop SP 8000.
  • microrepairmicrorepair Member Posts: 508
    Re: brake pad wear: I wrote a note some weeks back (#3434) detailing the history on my 96 E320 along with a suggested deiscounted source for OEM parts.

I had an Alpine CD player installed after delivery (claimed to be what comes with the "MB" on it) and now it is sending out the "NO CD" error message. The installer sent it back to Alpine who took two months to "initialize it" and 3 days after re-install, it again gives the NO CD message. Is my best bet to just buy another one, maybe a used one from eBay? (Mine is now out of warranty!)

Someone was asking if $35K for a 2000 E320 coming off lease with 14K miles was a good deal. In my opinion, if that is a two year lease, then yes, it sounds like a terrific deal to me. I bought mine the day after it came off a two year lease for $38K and it had 38K miles. So this other one is a better deal.. Plus it will have all those little upgrades mine doesn't have.. I'm jealous.. Especially if that $35K includes Starmark.. Hmmm, if you don't want it......
  • valueguyvalueguy Member Posts: 208
    My driver's seat has developed an annoying squeak whenever I make a turn. the squeak is coming from the side bolster or back cushion.

Previous posts mentioned others here have the same problem. I will stop by the dealer tomorrow.
    M-B needs a Technical release/recall on these seats. Sadly, this may be my last M-B product as I am tired of visiting the service department.
  • jacatlgajacatlga Member Posts: 8
    Could they have found a noisier tire if they tried. Even the ragged ML loaner's off road tires are quieter. Only have 1800 miles on my 02 E 430 so I guess I am going to live with them for a while. Of course, with 14k to 16k replacement intervals the norm (so I've heard) it won't be forever. Tried to get the dealer to replace at purchase. Could not even stand to have the sunroof open at at 40-50 mph. Sounds like they are chewing the pavement for resurfacing. Bad choice MB. I have never been able to keep Pirelli's balanced so I think I will check out the Michelin sports like my CLK has. A harsher ride but no noise. Of course, with the CLK's throaty muffler it may be masked.
    I already visited the dealer twice for this same problem. A good qualified dealer will have to put felt padding inside the seat to eliminate that annoying squeak. In my case the squeak re visited twice. I agree with you that some quality issues are unforgiven but luckily the excellent service makes it up, a bit
    Jean
    I signed last week for the three years extended warranty at a cost Can$ 2,275 (US$1,500). The dealer had to do a thorough inspection for an additional US$ 50. The technician discovered a tiny oil leak in the differential which will be repaired under warranty. My odometer shows only 25,000 miles. I am amazed how you could purchase such extended warranty in the USA by phone or email without such inspection imposed by MB Canada before the contract.
    During the inspection I was treated with a 02 C240 as courtesy car. I was impressed with the kick of that small engine as well as the excellent and silent ride.
    Jean
  • bmms8bmms8 Member Posts: 86
    i was on the us mercedes website today, i was reading about the smart key. I neverknewthatif you hold the unlock button for 3 seconds it will open all wndows, and the moonroof. I already have my deposit for a 2003 e50 with e2, power rear sunshade, keyless go, and parktronic. i hope the smart key will hve hat function for 2003 models.
  • rbrenton88rbrenton88 Member Posts: 186
    Want to buy an E-class in Thailand? Expect to fork over the equivalaent of 90-110k dollars...and you get a 4-cylinder engine to boot.

...just a recent observation here in my travels.
  • r1_97r1_97 Member Posts: 181
    Just saw on TV, a MB ad for the '03 E model showing it in the Men In Black II movie. I guess the US debut is forthcomming.
  • mbnut1mbnut1 Member Posts: 403
    What did you see as the pluses and minuses of the C240 vs your E?
  • mcginn1mcginn1 Member Posts: 3
    I'd welcome any informed opinions about the merits of these two tires for my 2000 E320 sedan. I have Michelin Energy MXV4's on it now, but after only 21K miles the tread is almost all gone on the tires that were in the front until rotated at the 20K maintenance service. Are the MXV4Pluses the way to go or are the (cheaper) Contis just as good or better (in terms of noise, grip, tread wear, and handline)?

Many thanks!
  • dman12dman12 Member Posts: 9
    I can't give you an informed opinion about those tires, but I can give you one on Yokohama's AVSdb tires. Stay away from them. I've got about 15k on them and though I'm happy with the tread wear, I can't hear myself think at highway speeds.
    What's this all about? A FOUR door coupe ?? The pictures I saw showed no significant difference between the sedan and coupe except for the slope of the rear window and trunk lid. And the hidden B-pillar.

Reminds me of the old Mazda 626 series where they had a regular sedan and a fastback sedan..
    My MB dealer is also a BMW and Audi dealer and last week they had the BMW Ultimate Drive to benefit breast cancer research. I got to drive a 525 and an X-5 w/3.0 liter engine. The 2.5 liter initially feels peppy but has no guts compared to the E320. The 525 has much less torque even though it has a 6-speed manumatic. The steering response is just slightly better than the E-class but not by much. And the E just feels a little more solid. I was impressed by the driver ergonomics in the 525 though.

Then I drove the X-5 and with the 3.0 engine it feels a little more powerful but maybe that has to do with the final gearing too. Otherwise that SUV is a piece of crap compared to the ML class. I thought I was going to need my chiropractor after driving on a normal residential road. Horrible ride quality. Even the Explorers and Jeeps I've been in are better riding vehicles.. Maybe the 4.1 engine might make up for some of it, but that has to be a scary ride !

Unless MB fails miserably with the new E, I would prefer the E over the current 2002 525...

All the above is strictly the opinion of the author.. based upon a 20 minute drive scenario..
    I just received a Preview Program Password card from MBUSA and last week my sales guy at my MB dealer said that they expect the new E to be delivered late summer now.. He laughed and noted that it has kept slipping a couple months every couple months.

Even though it looks swoopier, they are claiming that there is more passenger space and there will be an option for fold down rear seats.. Whooppee, now I'll be able to make dump runs without a station wagon..!!
    It is unfair to compare to C240 to E320. But I tested few BMW's 3-series recently, specially the 330xi. I already mentioned on this board that I did not like the interior noise level and the high RPM torque of the BMW 3.0L engine, everything else is close to perfect,(I was almost kicked out of 3 series board when I posted that). However I found the C240 more comfortable than the 3 series with plenty of interior space, the ride is silent even for a four cylinders, that means MB did a fine job insulating the cabin. Also I found the C240 has faster response than 330 on take off(sorry Nathan). I was determined to procure the 03 330xi as a second car, now I will hold my order until I try the 03 C320 4matic.
    Jean
  • benznutbenznut Member Posts: 104
    C240 is a six cylinder
    i would be very suprised if a company came out with a 2.4 liter 6 cylinder engine. to bad no one has that. benz the c240 is a four cylinder, the 320 is a 6.
  • john01john01 Member Posts: 246
    microrepair
    the only 6 speed auto is on the new 7 series. Unless the 525 you test drove was a prototype, it has 5 speed autobox. I am sure it felt weaker than the 3.2, with a 2.5 liter engine. 530 probably would have given you a better comparison. I test drove E320 and 530 each for a day and agree that BMW has better interior layout (to me at least). I actually thought that the BMW felt more solid. Like you said, purely an opinion of the author.

bmms8
    MB 2.4 (actually 2597 cc) liter engine IS a v-6.
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
  • jrosasmcjrosasmc Member Posts: 1,711
    Has the Mercedes factory started production of the new 2003 E-Class (U.S. versions) yet?
    sorry about that, i am wrong, i dn't even know why i said that...i must of been very sleepy last night. but one thing i know that is tue is that they have started production for the 2003 e-class. but i depends where you live i live in san diego, so thy will make ore cars for more popular cities, lie san diego, l.a., and ny. one of the nearest dealers that lives by us is going to have a demo car (not to drive) on aug. 26. oce agin im sorry for saying it was a 4 cylinder
    What is there to be sorry about? Isn't that what these forums are for, share and learn from each other?
    Based on Jean7of9's advice I took my car to the dealer and had the felt padding added to the seat. The squeak is now gone and the dealer replaced the seat mechanism which eliminated the movement (sudden-jerky forward movement) during hard braking. Today, I noticed the plastic gray back panel has a small nick in it. I will stop by the dealer tomorrow and request a replacement panel.

The felt padding solved this problem; but, M-B should have been aware of the seat issues and issued a service bulletin. Once again I am a satisfied M-B owner. I am still undecided if I would buy another E.
    Provided M-B improves the quality a bit on the late '03's I will get the E-55. 470Hp is just too enticing to pass up.
    Ooops, you are right. Both the 525 and the X5 3.0 had the 5 speed manumatic.. That is still one more gear than the E class..

Even the X-5 3.0 didn't have the stump pulling feeling that my E320 does... The 2.5 and 3.0 appear to be designed for higher rpm and therefore more hp, rather than for broadband torque.
    Well, no surprise there. X5 weighs 4400 lbs. and the E about 3600 lbs, with both having about the same power. You should really try the 530 to get the right comparison. I ended up buying the 5spd, but the auto I test drove was quite peppy.

I am quite sure E320 also has 5 spd auto, just like the BMWs, BTW. E320 does develop max torque from 3000 rpm, and the BMW 3.0 makes it at 3500. I barely noticed any difference as far as the pulling power and the acceleration.
  • cce182cce182 Member Posts: 40
    dunninla & jacatlqa - thanks for your feedback on tires.

Interestingly, I called TireRack, gave them my replacement tire criteria, and "Clay" gave me advice directly opposite that of "Luke" (dunninla's sneaker-advisor at TireRack) - - that is, Clay asserts that the Bridgestone PP S-03's are quieter, grippier, happier-in-the-wet (where, here in New England, that does make a difference), and less expensive, to boot compared to the Pirelli PZero Rosso Direzionale.

One can draw a couple of tentative conclusions from this. Maybe what TireRack recommends is dependent on their comparative inventory. Or, perhaps the sales commissions differ from product to product or the sales incentives change. Or, most likely, the rating of tires is so subjective that they both could be right. Or, all of the above.

I just discovered their customer comparo page which summarizes all the max-performance tires in one table. That page is:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/max.jsp

But, in the end, in a table of 15 comparisons, the S-03 and PZero Rosso were first and second, and the Goodyear Eagle F1's were dead last. So, if you trust the surveys, then you can't do worse than the F1's. More to the point, anything is better than F1's.

It's important, too, to observe that the Brigestones report many more users than the Pirelli's (5.8M miles vs 9k miles (meaning just one driver checking in!!)). All of these customer experience surveys are subjective at best.

• lhcleunglhcleung Member Posts: 24
    Hi, everyone; I applied the first coating of Zaino products:Z-1 and Z-2 today. But when I washed my 2001 E320 with Dawn, I noticed there were two point-pen size chips on my hood. I looked carefully, I notice that the chips already showing black coating or metal against my metallic desert silver colour. I felt it with my finger -they were definitely chips. But they do not look like stone chips because there was no dents or scratches. So here is my question to all my friends on this board: If they are not stone chips, would they be covered under warranty? If not can anyone tell me how these chips can be repaired or removed in order to prevent them from rusting or spreading? Please help!
    Louis
    These are certainly chips. The new ecological water based paint chips easier than the oil based paint. The best way to get rid of them is filling the holes with an MB paint retouch compatible with your color. But be careful, do not use the brush provided by MB because it will never do a mercedes job. Instead use a tooth pick. Just dip the tip of the tooth pick in the tube then touch the center of the hole, slowly and methodically. Do not rush otherwise you will spill it outside the hole. Once you apply few layers of Zaino you will get a better protection against chips. Good luck.
    Jean
  • lhcleunglhcleung Member Posts: 24
    Thanks very much for the tips. I'll go and get some Mercedes Benz touch up paint today. I'll apply another coat of Zaino tomorrow. By the way, could you please tell me how much you use the Z-2 per single application. Half a bottle, i.e., 4 oz. or 8 oz. for the whole car? I use it for the four wheels too. Thanking you in advance,
    Louis
  • dustoff156dustoff156 Member Posts: 6
    For the past few years, the first thing I do at work is fire up my computer and run through these postings. Edmunds provides a great service and I have learned a lot, but I'm beginning to worry about my car after what seems to be a recent flood of negative postings about short tire life and early demise of brake pads.

My 00 E-430 has been mechanically perfect to date, but I have to take it in for its 24K mile service in a few days, so I inspected it carefully over the July 4th holiday.

My Eagle F-1s are barely worn and look like they can go another 10-12K miles easily and my brake pad warning light has remained suspiciously off.

I use this car for work and put about 40 miles on it daily in heavy Northern Virginia and DC area traffic. I'm wondering if others are having the same experience or should I be worrying that my tires and brake pads will fall off within the next few days.
  • jfz219jfz219 Member Posts: 63
    Think small when using Zaino. Pre-moisten your applicator and spray it with Z-6. A bottle of Z-2 should do at least 10 cars. On my brilliant silver it is hard to see where I have applied the material. But the results are wonderful.

Also, remove any Zaino before filling chips. The touchup paint will not stick to the polish.
  • splitoesplitoe Member Posts: 19
    You washed your E320 with Dawn? I hope it is not the dish washing detergent, because it'll damage the paint. Many car magzines had this discussion.
    dustoff156:

Having replaced the pads twice already on my E, I can estimate that once the brake pad wear indicator comes on, you still have a couple thousand miles before the pad backing metal will be touching the rotors. The wear sensors are an "early warning" device..

And the pads will NEVER fall off..
  • jfz219jfz219 Member Posts: 63
    Dawn dishwashing soap is the product recommended by Zaino for all the reasons that it is not recommended for routine use. It does strip wax. This is usually not desired, but is the first step in the multiple step Zaino process. I also recommend the clay bar. The finish will be smoother than showroom new. With a little experience, the whole job can be done in 60-90 minutes.
    Based on previous posts on this board I took my car in for a squeaky seat repair. The dealer fixed most of the problem but there was a small squeak near the side bolster area (driver's seat near the armrest) which remained. Based on a previous poster's advice I placed a 3X3 piece of terry cloth/towel inside the plastic casing near the seat. The plastic piece actually snaps off easily. The remaining seat noise is now gone.

I recommend that you use material that blends well with the interior of your E as you may see a tiny piece of it from the back seat. I found an old cotton towel that had been bleached several times to a light blue/gray color. This matched my ash interior well.

Without input on this board I would have a squeaky seat and most likely traded my E430 for a 540. My 2002 330CiC has a nicer interior with what appears to better quality materials; and the 2002-03 540 received high marks from Consumer Reports.

Now, when my wife asks me why I bother with this board I have an answer: these posts save me time, money and allow me more enjoyment in driving my E430. Thanks!
  • cduongcduong Member Posts: 70
    Dustoff... I have '96 E320, bought used at 38,000 miles. Replaced front pads at 42,000 from original, and I don't drive "hard"... Rule of thumb: 2 front pad replacement for 1 rear pad replacement. Hope this helps... Dealer charged about $225-250 to replace 2 front pads with new sensor. My local mechanic charged $150 for same service, using MB parts.
  • johnny2000johnny2000 Member Posts: 38
    Hi you all,

To answer some of the questions about official launch times for the new coming E Class (211) I am posting Production Startup dates, Earliest Potential Wholesale/Retail Release (EPWRR) and Planned Wholesale & Retail Release (PWRR) dates:

E-Class Production Earliest Planned
    Startup (PWRR) (WRR)

E320W (211) 06-01-02 08-09-02 08-26-02
    E500W (211) 06-01-02 08-09-02 08-26-02
    E55AMG(211) 03-01-03 05-01-03 05-01-03
    E320S (210) 06-01-02 07-01-02 07-02-02
    E320S-4M(210)06-01-02 07-01-02 07-02-02

Notes: The earliest Potential Wholesale/Retail realease date is the target completion date. The Planned release date is the most likely release date at this time given the high volume request from MB centers nationwide for the new E Class. Of course this may still change based on "market and business conditions."

I personally have been invited to test drive new E500W and I am thrilled with its handling and quick pick up. The engine is superbly quiet and I am a true believer this is gonna be the one to have. Very solid built.

For those of you Southern Californians who would like to see the car in person (E320W and E500W) before its release date come with your digital cameras to Mariott Hotel in Torrance on June 22nd.

Cheers

J2K
  • px260px260 Member Posts: 42
    Hi cduong, if you are in the So Cal area, can you send your mechanic's information to me at my e-mail address? Thank you very much.
    do you mean july 22, and can you please tell me where torrance is, i do live in socal, i live in san diego, and i am planning to buy the e500. thank you
  • albert123albert123 Member Posts: 71
    Torrance is in LA. You can go to Marriott's web site to find the actual location.
  • cduongcduong Member Posts: 70
    px260... sorry I don't live in S.CA... But replacing break pads on cars, any cars, is not a special job, any competent local mechanic should be able to do the job... Just make sure that he/she uses MB parts which he/she can get from dealer. I am lucky to have a trust worthy local mechanic who does all maintenance work on my MB, at 1/2 price that of dealer... Good luck... Don't believe that only MB dealer can service MB, unless the job requires opening up the engine , then I would take it to dealer...
    it is tru, and i want to thank johnny 2000 for telling us...The Marriot Hotel in Torrance near L.A. is going to show the new e-classes on july 22. they said it will not be one day, it will be a couple days long. It starts at 8:30 in the morning. The # is 310-316-3636, once again thanks johhny 2000
  • wnielwniel Member Posts: 97
    Five Star Auto in Costa Mesa is owned by Chris Janowski and has been my independent mechanic on Mercedes for the past 17 years. He is fair priced and does a terrific job. One of the problems with most independent mechanics, they don't have the computers that Mercedes now requires to do the diognostic work forcing owners into the dealerships. Chris made the investment and has all of the latest high tech equipment. If you are wanting to contact him, e-mail me direct and I will give you the directions and phone number or get it through information. He formerly was one of the top mechanics at Jim Slemons Mercedes which was the former name of Fletcher Jones Motorcars. This is now the largest MB dealership in the US. This is located in Newport Beach.
    Wally
  • r1_97r1_97 Member Posts: 181
    Does anyone have recommendation for good independent Mercedes mechanic in San Diego, CA (preferably in North County)?
This discussion has been closed.