Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedans

Comments

• paulchiupaulchiu Posts: 378
    Thanks S !

The new E looks a lot like my 2001 S500 than the old E. I especially like the AMG equipped version! Very sleek!
  • valueguyvalueguy Posts: 208
    My '00E430 needs new tires. I have 14,300 miles on the factory Continental tires.

I am leaning towards Yokahoma or Bridgestone based upon Tirerack.com's rec. Does anyone have personal experience with a 17" replacement tire?

I do not need all season tires; I prefer a strict performance "Summer" tire that has good wet traction and will last 20,000 miles.

Thanks.
  • mbdrivermbdriver Posts: 426
    valueguy - Go with the Yokohamas, specifically the Yoko AVS dB. I upgraded my 2000 E320 to 17" wheels with the Yokos and couldn't be more pleased. The handling, ride, and particularly the "noise comfort" improved dramatically. I have about 5,000 miles on them and they are running extremely well. I try to keep 34 to 36 psi all around, and the ride quality doesn't seem to be very harsh. I'd be surprised if you get less than 20,000 miles from them -- I'll be absolutely disappointed if I don't!

BTW, I believe the Yoko AVS dBs are classified as an all-season ultra-high performance tire. The wet traction was rated high by consumers on Tirerack.com. Let us know what you decide.
    I narrowed my decision to three tires based on wet traction, quietness, and tread life:

1. Dunlop Sport 9000
    2. Michelin Pilot Sport
    3. Yokohama AVS DB

Price is not my main concern as tirerack.com list the Michelin for $193, the Dunlop for $153 and the Yoko is 144. Since snow is not an issue for me I think I will go with the Dunlop 9000. The Yoko is the "value" buy because it beats the Dunlop in every category except one: Looks

I like the aggressive look of the Dunlop and Michelin which are "Max" tires. But, the Dunlop has a better wear rating compared to the Michelin.
    The Yoko has the BEST wear rating.

All of the above tires are better than my old stock Continental Conti Sports.
  • If snow performance is a factor how do the tires stack up?
    The above tires are all terrible in the snow.
    The Yoko is the only one that has any traction at all in snow. I must say that for an all around tire including light snow the Yoko is the one to purchase- Yoko AVS DB. A great tire at a great price.

But, if you want the all out "Max" summer tire then the Bridgestone S-03 or Michelin Pilot Sport is the best choice. I want a tire that will last 15,000 miles, look "aggressive", and behave well in the Florida rain. The Yoko is a better overall choice except the Dunlop will look better
    on my Sport rim.
  • We're about to buy a 2002 E320, and I've got two questions about the CD changer:

1) Is it easy to install aftermarket? I've seen the same model MB installs advertised on the web for about 1/3 of the price MB charges.

2) How about extra CD cartridges? I've not seen them advertised anywhere. Are they available from MB?

Thanks!
    ---joe
    I need help. Can you explain how one 235/45-17 tire can look more "aggressive" than another? If I'm not mistaken, all you can see from the side view is about 2 inches of tire. The sport rim, I've been told, is what catches the eye -- in fact, the larger the wheel diameter, the more wheel is visible and the less tire. And wheels, especially sport wheels, are supposedly much more attractive than black tires.

Please don't misinterpret what I'm asking. I bought the Yoko AVS dBs, and they would seem to look as aggressive as any other 235/45-17s. I went to Tirerack.com and looked at the Dunlop, Bridgestone , Michelin and Yoko. Minor differences in tread design. Then I looked at a silver E320, first with 17" 5-spoke AMG "sport wheels" and tires, and then with 17" Borbet Type E wheels and tires. No difference in the look of the tires that I could see..

Am I missing something? Is it really worth extra money to buy tires that look aggressive? To each his own, of course, but you got my attention!
  • The Eagle F1 tires I have don't look any different from the side view, but if the wheel is turned a bit, you see a very unique tread pattern. Like an aquatred on steroids.

I think they are sharp, but I sure wouldn't base a repurchase decision just on that. At close to $300 a pop, I'd rather have longevity.
    MB-Driver, let me explain. First of all, the tires you purchased represent the best value for the money. But, the I like the look of the tread pattern on the 'Max' rated tires. Also, I need a pure Summer tire as snow is not a factor. Rain, however, is a real concern of mine as I tend to drive at high speeds even in wet weather. The Dunlop SP9000 is only a few bucks more than your Yoko and offers exceptional rain stability. The Dunlop 9000 has a wear rating of 280 vs. 320 for the Yoko; this means your Yoko will last longer. (Dunlop 9000 is $153 vs. Yoko $144 for a $9.00 net difference)

As someone already pointed out you can see the tread at times and I like the look of a pure performance tire. I agree with your decision on a purely technical basis; however, when it comes to cars and car related items I factor in a little emotion as well.
    The Yoko AVS DB is an excellent tire but what do you think of its appearance? Also, why does this tire have better traction ratings than most "Max" tires including the Dunlop? Usually, tires that last longer do not stick as well as those that require more frequent replacement. I wish tirerack had an owner's feedback section for this tire so I could compare the comments with the Dunlop 9000. It seems odd that the All-Season Yoko would outperform the "Max" rated Yoko in most categories.
    You hit the nail . . . As you said, there's lots of emotion involved when it comes to cars, and if the tread pattern on a given tire turns you on, so be it! I think emotion was the basic reason I "upgraded" to 17" wheels for my E320 (I hated the OEM wheels, especially cleaning them) -- and emotion had lots to do with my purchase of the Mercedes to start with!

Bottom line -- I think we'll both be happy with the tires of our choice. And since we're both driving cars that cost $50,000+, I guess a few bucks difference for tire choice doesn't really matter. So enjoy!
  • bargamonbargamon Posts: 302
    I just finished my first road trip with my new yoko's avs db's on my 01'430 and am really happy with the tire. Avg speed was 74 (on board computer reading) and averaged 25.5 mpg. I actually did about 80mph when I could. I had eagle f1s previously, and they were extreme to the performance, they were expensive to replace, real noisy, and had no all season tread. The yokos are not the highest rated in snow, but that is ok, they are great in the rain. This may sound funny, but they do look better on the sidewalls than the f1's. This tire better matches the character of the car which is performance, but also done with comfort. I love the tires and the pricing. I notice no drop off in cornering. quite frankly, I thought the F1's were too much tire for the car, or in that the car is not calibrated like a porche or corvette.
  • These comments are very helpful. I will look into the Yoko's when it comes time to replace my F1's.
    The comments on Tirerack are difficult to sort out. For any given tire, you have any number of rants and raves. There seems to be very rare consensus about any of them.
    MB Driver, I found my next tire and it is a Michelin. I have decided to purchase the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S.

Your Yoko is a much better value than these Michelin tires. But, these tires have great ratings from www.tirerack.com and a wear rating of 400. The 'Max' version has a wear rating of 220 so I decided to purchase the All-Season version so I can get 30,000 miles out of these suckers. The handling, ride, and noise are exceptional with the Michelin Pilot Sport tire.

Those of you who want the name in tires, Michelin, should consider the pilot Sport A/S. The A/S even has a decent snow rating. The only down side is a set of 4 tires is much more than the Yoko's cost. However, the wear rating is better 400 vs. 320 and you get a Michelin; perhaps, the best tire Michelin has ever made. If money is no object then purchase the Michelin Pilot Sport (not the All-season one) and expect 10,000-15,000 miles of tire life.

MB Driver, I appreciate your input as I never even considered an all-season tire until I read your posts. Yoko AVS DB- $144 per tire vs. Michelin Pilot Sport A/S- $216.00 Yes, I realize you can buy 6 Yoko's for the price of 4 Michelin's
    but the Michelin should last a bit longer (leaving the net difference of maybe 1 Yoko).
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    In the end, you may find the Michelin tires to be less expensive than the Yoko tires. I say this because I have Michelin All Season tires with over 35,000 miles on my BMW. Said tires have a wear rating of 400, and at this point, it is fairly obvious that the front tires will last an easy 25,000 more while the rears will probably last another 10,000 (BMW does not recommend rotating your tires).

I suspect that if you rotate your Pilot Sport A/S tires, you should easily get 40 to 50 thousand miles on your E-Class for the set of tires.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    I purchased the Michelin tires today. I will have them installed this Friday.

I located a replacement rim on www.aaarims.com
    They have the stock sport rims for $275.00
    This rim is exactly like mine except it has been "refurbished" to like new conditions.
    My dealer wants $468 for a brand new one.
    I am inclined to purchase the new one and send my old rim to the above mentioned company for re conditioning. Then, I will have an extra rim in case of damage.

Shipo, my 330 Convertible is due in two weeks.
    Thanks for your input.
    Congrats on the new Michelins! Be sure to keep us posted regarding handling, ride, noise comfort and wear. I know that MB recommends comparatively low tire pressures, but suggest you experiment with 34 or 36 psi all around. I've heard it's one of the secrets to getting high mileage on a set of tires. I've done this with my Yokos, and it seems to work without a ride that's too harsh.

Shipo may be correct that you may be better off price-wise in the long run if you're able to get 40,000 to 50,000 miles on the Michelins. God luck.
  • Friday I traded in my Land Cruiser for a E320 4matic. I could not be happier. It is a pre-owned 2000. I have followed your tire conversations. I plan on using the stock wheels with a all season tire with decent traction characteristics in snow. I live in eastern PA. For summer I plan on buying the AMG sport wheel with an aggressive handling tire. I am undecided what brands at this time but I am sure your recommendations will help. My question is about wheel and tire size, especially width. I would like to go fairly wide with the tire. What size recommendations do you have?

Also has anyone tried the sport springs from Tire Rack? Do they stiffen the ride too much? I like a firm ride and really enjoy a flat handling car.
    Thanks
    I have the Sport Package. My car came with 235/45 17" tires. Go to www.tirerack.com for other tire sizes for your M-B. I thought about changing to 18" tires and rims but decided against it so my ride remains comfortable.

As for rim styles I like my sport rims. Brabus makes an 18" rim which looks just like my 17" stock M-B rim. www.aaarims has my rim for $275.00 each. I found quite a few sites that have AMG rims 17"-18" for $350-$400 each.
    Personally, I think AMG rims look good on a Mercedes. I recommend you do a search under AMG rims for some good web retailers.
  • Hi, I too have similar concerns as jsalemi regarding the cost/availability of an aftermarket cd changer for a 2002 E320. Currently there is no phone or COMMAND system (and never will be). Any help/suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks
  • Well, we ordered our E320 last Saturday; we'll be picking it up on Feb. 26th (it's still on the boat crossing the great wide ocean). I decided to go with the dealer-installed CD changer after all -- the price we got on the whole package (E2 option, heated seats, and the CD changer) was just too good to mess around with aftermarket stuff. Besides, if it doesn't work it'll be easier to get support this way. :=}

The dealer has additional cartridges, and I've seen from some back discussions here that Circuit City also sometimes carries some that are compatible with the MB unit. So we just went for it.

---joe
  • This is a continutation of my post from Feb. 4.

Got a call from my wife just now. Seems one of our credit cards had two more yearly TeleAid charges. Recall I cancelled TeleAid, got a credit for the erroneous Year 2 charge of $258 and change, back in early January.

Now, they have charged me two additional times on the same card. I have been on hold for 10 minutes trying to get them to reverse these two charges like they did last time.

The whole TeleAid organization is an embarrassment to MBUSA, and MBUSA's relationship with these incompetent boobs should be terminated immediately.
  • jneejnee Posts: 21
    Hi everyone! Thanks to all those who post messages...I find them very helpful and don't know what I would do without them. I'm still learning a lot about my 2001 E320 4matic. Has anyone else had trouble trying to cancel tele aid? I plan on cancelling mine and would like to know how many others have had trouble cancelling tele aid.
  • hjbornhjborn Posts: 20
    As I recall, I had no trouble at all cancelling my Tele Aid service. Shortly before the first year was up on my 2000 E320, I received a form from Tele Aid concerning the extension. I simply checked off the box that said I didn't want to continue it, sent it in, and that was the last I heard from them. Of course, I watched my credit card account for a few months, but the charge never did appear. Incidentally, the service is a joke. I never used it the whole first year. I would have been happy to continue it for a fee-based service, say $5 a call or so, but not at the yearly fee they wanted.
  • paulchiupaulchiu Posts: 378
    Anyone know if the E55 wagon will be available in the US in 2003?
  • bmms8bmms8 Posts: 86
    i called the 800 mb # yesterday and they said that the 2003 e-class wil be coming out in mid march-april, it is hard for me to believe that, only becaue my dealersaid around august, so iuf any one has any info on the new e-class, plese tell me, and if nobody knows anything about it, ad wantssoe general info go t msg: 2858, the germancar fan site is awesome
  • y2k4my2k4m Posts: 9
    I encountered something this past weekend that I have never seen before and thought I'd shoot it past the "experts" to see if anyone else has run across the same problem. When I went to fill up the gas tank it only registered 3/4 full, which I hadn't notice until after I paid and pulled away. Thinking that I had only partially filled the tank, I circled back to the gas station to top it off. After a few minutes of careful nursing I was only able to squeeze in an additional 1/2 gallon and still the gauge only read 3/4 full. I even looked at the computer reading of the gas tank and it too read 18.1 gallons. Has anyone else run into this? This is the first time it has done this (and hopefully the last), but still a bit disconcerning.
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    Hmmm, well at least some of the information you were given is incorrect. Mercedes-Benz does in fact sell the exact same models in Canada as here in the States. When I worked for MBUSA, I wrote the Customer Assurance system which tracks all Customer Service calls, Roadside Assistance calls and any direct contact from a Mercedes driver to MBUSA. Needless to say, given the borders to our north and south, we took many calls from folks who purchased/lived in either Canada or Mexico who had driven into the US. While there were service differences on some of the Mexican cars, I am unaware of ANY differences between the Canadian cars and their US siblings.

I think you may have to dig further.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • vs4vs4 Posts: 70
    Thanks for looking into it. I talked to Mercedes Canada and Mercedes USA and they told me that the main difference is between the frame of the car when I asked can you elaborate on this then they told me that the bumbers of the car do not meet Canadian standards, in Canada they are suppose to be 5 mile and in the USA Mercedes E-class has 2.5 mile bumper. I asked them how come I cannot change that and they told me the dealers in Canada will not do that because this is a complicated stuff because they have to change things which take the impact of the bumper. It sounded like they are just BS'ing. Please let me know if you still have any contacts at MBUSA whoc can help me.

Thankyou very much.

Regards,
    Victor
This discussion has been closed.