Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Civic 2005 and earlier

Comments

• The cavalier is sold to fleet and not sure about the newer ones but the old ones had a very poor safety/crash test results. Hope the work the interior and att to details.
    Greetings from sunny Miami.
  • diploiddiploid Posts: 2,286
    NHTSA results for the Impreza wagon are: 4-Stars for front driver, 5-stars for front passenger, 4 stars for driver side, passenger side not tested. It may be tops in IIHS, but not in NHTSA. At least not the wagon.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/nhtsa/announce/press/pressdisplay.cfm?year=2002&filename=pr65-02.html

Corolla's crash test is impressive: 5-stars for both occupants on frontal, and 4 stars for both occupants on side impact.

Honda Pilot received 5-stars on all 4 tests. *clap clap clap*

• soberssobers Posts: 496
    My Accord SE makes a particulat noise just when i put it in drive & go forward.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,682
    I don't understand this post. Are you comparing an Impreza wagon to a Corolla sedan (which is difficult because the Impreza's tests are incomplete), or an Impreza wagon to a much larger and heavier Honda Pilot SUV (which according to NHTSA rules is a no-no, for the frontal tests), or is there some implied comparison here to the Civic sedan (subject of this board)?
    I think your misunderstanding of my post has more to do with your analytical reading skills (or lack of) rather than my writing skills.

The only comparison going on is between the IIHS and NHTSA crash tests for the Impreza sedan and Impreza wagon, respectively, which recalls the comments made about the Impreza not being tested by NHTSA (hence the title of the post "crash tests: revisited") from the previous discussion. And I made clear that one test was for the sedan and one test was for the wagon.

And since it revisits an earlier discussion, it's not as off-topic as you'd like to imply. Unless you admit that you were off-topic in said previous discussion, in which you were quite active, thus making you a hypocrite for pointing it out in my post.

Finally, the comments about the Corolla and Pilot were just that: they were merely comments.
    Personal insults are neither welcome nor appropriate. Let's try to at least be civil if we disagree, OK?

I think my reading skills are just fine, thank you. For example, you said nothing in your post about the Impreza sedan; it was all about the wagon. My earlier posts (way back around 2222, over a week ago) were all about crash tests on the Civic and competing cars. I didn't see the relationship to the Civic in your post and didn't want to assume one. Thanks for clarifying it for me.
    And I pointed out that the crash test from the NHTSA was for the wagon.

You didn't see any mention of the Civic in my post because, as the title suggests, it relates to our debate from over a week ago regarding the Impreza's crash test vs the Civic in both NHTSA and IIHS, which obviously included the Civic (subject of this board). I will not type out everything from before in verbatim just to make it obvious that we're discussing something relevant to the Civic.

But recall that NHTSA evaluations were not available for the Impreza. With the new release of the evaluations for the wagon, at least we can compare the results from the 2 tests, albeit a sedan to a wagon. Even if the wagon's results are inconclusive, its ratings of 4 and 5 stars, respectively, for frontal driver and passenger do not match the Civic's 5-stars for both front occupants. The best the sedan can do is gain an extra star for the front occupant to equal the Civic.

And it was these results that we were missing in our earlier debate. Unfortunately, they didn't test a sedan, and beggars can't we choosers, so we'll make do with the wagon results in the interim. When NHTSA decides to evaluate the Impreza sedan, we can renew the discussion again.

As for civility, try not to point the finger at me as your post was not exactly warm and fuzzy, either.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    C'mon folks, leave out the digs at one another.
    >>> Even if the wagon's results are inconclusive, its ratings of 4 and 5 stars, respectively, for frontal driver and passenger do not match the Civic's 5-stars for both front occupants. <<<

When talking about NHTSA crash tests, we should bear in mind that the NHTSA rules say that vehicles can be compared to each other on the frontal crash tests only if they are within 250 pounds of each other. That means the NHTSA frontal crash tests for the Impreza and Civic should not be compared to each other, due to the weight differential of over 500 pounds. The side impact scores can be compared, but the results there are incomplete since the Impreza hasn't been fully tested yet.
  • seafseaf Posts: 339
    I read that the NHTSA tests compare the star ratings to only vehicles in its class. But I think you can compare the actual test data numbers, such as g forces sustained by a dummy across different classes of vehicles. The actual data represent what an occupant feels in a crash, so it doesn't matter if it's in an SUV or a compact car, the g forces would be comparable between the two.

So in other words, the star ratings are relative to cars within its class, but the actual crash measurements can be comparable across classes. Correct me if I'm wrong.
  • bjk2001bjk2001 Posts: 358
    Guys/Gals:

I don't really care what test results NHTSA or IIHS published for any cars. I am not going to sell my 6 months old 02 Civic EX for any of the test results. Also, I am not going to lose any sleep for Subaru or Toyota or any other imports/domestic test results. This is a Honda Civic board.

Thanks,

bjk
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Posts: 2,228
    Someone traded their 6 month old 02 Civic EX for an 02 Elantra GT due to quality issues (rattles, etc.). I think that's the first time I have heard of someone trading to a Korean car from such a new Japanese car, let alone the "great" Civic. Hmm...their experience mirrors exactly the complaints Car and Driver had with the car.
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    That is a total shock to me as well.
    bjk- I know this is a Civic board. It's just that I made a comment about the Civic being at the top in terms of crash tests, and someone else made it a point to correct/disprove me. I just wanted to counter that with the new NHTSA results, which was not available at the time of the discussion. That was all.
    I don't feel we need to apologize for a thread on crash tests involving the Civic. Those who don't care for that kind of discussion can skip over those posts, start a new thread about something else regarding the Civic, go for a ride in their Civics, etc.
    That's suicide, backy. This is the only thread where people actually like me (I think)...I just can't risk that.
    When I said "thread" I meant a chain of posts on one topic, in one board. A "board" is, for example, Honda Civic Sedans. So I wasn't talking about starting a whole new board (although there is probably already one or more boards dedicated to crash tests). Is that less suicidal? :0
    Less dangerous, but still too risky nonetheless. I'd rather be caught paying full price for an 03 Accord.
  • so about to get a 1999 with 47,000 miles on it, it's a steal, can't tell ya how much though, cause u'll all wanna know how I got it..... anyway just wanted to know from u knowledgable folks, if the 1999 is a good year for the Civic, I guess they are like wine, there are good years and bad years. Is the 1999 6th gen? and are there any known problems with the 199?
    I have a 99 LX auto. No problems (neither major nor minor) for the last 3 years.

The only thing you want to do is change the tires (if they're the original Michelins that came with the Civic). After getting a flat tire 2 times, I decided to just switch the front tires to all season Goodyears. The car brakes and rides noticeably better.