Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Civic 2005 and earlier

Comments

• patpat Posts: 10,421
    There is a "Sell Your Car" link on the left side of the page that's worth investigating, as well. :)
  • mcap56mcap56 Posts: 48
    I also agree with the stick statement. I drive in NYC and am often stuck in a bit of traffic. I was about to get an automatic. However, I am a much better, more connected safer driver with a 5 spd. My mind wanders too much with an auto. I think a lot of others out there have the same problem.

I will say though, that the civic clutch, although very smooth, is a bit of a pain to operate. The wheel well seems to force your left foot over to the middle more than is comfortable. Anyone else have this issue?
  • moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    The pricing quoted in my earlier post ($14,500) is advertised and verified pricing (via phone to make sure there is no catch) at Grand Honda in Chicago area.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Posts: 2,803
    I have an Si, so I can not comment on the wheel well issue. But, I find it easier to modulate speed in stop and go with a manual than auto. With auto, you have to switch from gas to brake to do a 5 mph crawl. With a 5 spd, 5 mph crawl is a piece of cake, as you only modulating the gas and if the cars stop completely, you just clutch, using your other foot. Rather than taking the same right foot of the gas to place it on the brake pedal.
    For all "traffic impared" "bumper-to-bumper" does not really mean you have to ride the bumper of the car infront of you. Leave some room to coast and you will see the benefits of manual over auto.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,624
    With any automatic I've ever owned, I could modulate a crawl using only the brake, except for going up a steep incline. It's the constant clutching in stop-and-go traffic that I find tiring (and wearing on the clutch). I prefer a stick shift and my daily driver is a 5-speed, but if I had to navigate stop-and-go traffic every day I would go with an automatic.
  • So far, I'm going with the theory that if I can get him used to operating the clutch pedal, then we'll be over the hump. Our high school has quite a lot of parking lot and service roads wrapping around the building. There's some uphill, but mostly level areas.

What has worked was to have him plant his heel and then pull the toes backward, letting out the pedal. Much smoother for him, but not perfect...yet.

Out on city streets, I'm concerned that there'll be a lot of situations where he'll have to drop into neutral and then get into gear, like approaching an intersection with a yield or with blocked visibility. So know what you can do with the pedal, and getting into neutral, even temporarily, is my goal.

Unless, as my wife wants, we go out and spend a fortune on a CR-V (which, as she says, is the perfect vehicle for her).

Where's that Civic 5-door?
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,350
    When they ask a lot obout scratches on a cheap used car, these people usually aren't that serious. I wouldn't worry. that Civic should sell in a hurry.
  • Received 2 calls today...college kids that do not currently own a car but want one. I took the car to one person for a test drive. After that experience I thought about just trading it in tomorrow.

My worry is that some college kid will be calling me a month down the road if there is some problem & I don't want the head ache.

I lve in NYS & as far as I know, the rule used to be that a private party could sell as car as is & not have to worry about the buyer expecting any kind of warranty ( express or implied ).

I don;t know if you can shed any light about this...I was gonna call the dealer tomorrow to see if they could give me some advice or a place to get the answer in NYS.
    With any automatic I've ever owned, I could modulate a crawl using only the brake, except for going up a steep incline. It's the constant clutching in stop-and-go traffic that I find tiring (and wearing on the clutch). I prefer a stick shift and my daily driver is a 5-speed, but if I had to navigate stop-and-go traffic every day I would go with an automatic.

If you keep a little bit of a distance between you and the car infornt of you, you won't have to clutch as often. So, what is the difference between pressing on the clutch or the brake contantly? I see none. Honda clutch is not any more stiffer than brakes, so the effort is almost equal. At least with the clutch, you get both legs/feet working instead of just the right one.
    Where's that Civic 5-door?
    The upcoming Honda Stream.
    I fully understand that and do that. In my town, if you keep too much distance in front of you in rush-hour traffic, someone else will slip in. Maybe drivers in your town are not as agressive.
  • kgowardkgoward Posts: 10
    Hi All: Just purchased a 2000 Civic LX with 33k miles. Are there any issues that I should be aware of? We plan on using the car as a daily commuter for about 120 miles a day. I look forward to the great gas mileage and the reliablity of the car. Our test drive really impressed me with the quality of the build and this car was used.
    Any input from the forum would be great!
  • mpgmanmpgman Posts: 723
    New to the board. Any word on when the 05s will be here and what, if any changes there will be? Side curtain air bags? Thanks.
  • THe 05 Civic will probably hit lots in a few weeks. With a redesign right around the corner no major changes are expected. There will be a new SE trim for the sedan and coupe but that's all I am aware of.

kgoward: Congrats on the car. I'm sure it will be great for your needs. Your gas mileage should be great.
  • mpgmanmpgman Posts: 723
    Appreciate the info. So 06 is the year for the redesign?
    Yes, following the typical Honda 5-year pattern. Logically that's when Honda will add the standard ABS and side air bags/curtains that they have promised for almost all models by '06. I hope the redesign is for '06 MY because I'll be buying my next car in the fall of '06 and would like the new Civic to be one of my options.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,350
    First of all, never take your car to someone to see. If you get a request like that it's a sure thing you're dealing with a flake. sounds like you already found that out.

I've sold a lot of my cars privately and I've never had a problem. I tell them everything I know about the car, strong and weak points if any.

I make VERY sure they know the car is being sold strictly AS-IS. I even have them sign a form that states that.

Still, there are risks involved. The transmission could fail in three months and you could wind up in small claims court. Unlikely, but it could happen.

Do not take a check. Insist on green cash or if you have to, a certified check.

Also, try to screen out the flakes that call...you'll know who they are. If you feel uneasy, tell them you have a deposit on it or something.
    I fully understand that and do that. In my town, if you keep too much distance in front of you in rush-hour traffic, someone else will slip in. Maybe drivers in your town are not as agressive.

I drive from CT to NJ, so you can imagine the people do dart infront of me, but I usually drive in the right lane in traffic, and trucks, which are almost all manual, make it flow smoothly. Truckers don't want to be shifting gears either, so they keep pace. If you keep a distance of 0.75 cars between you and the car infront, most people with common sence will not try to take the spot, but it gives you enough coushion to not to clutch. And even if someone jumps into your lane, they are not going anywahere fast, and they usualy jump in the right lane to get off anyway. I don't claim to have a scientific approach to this, but for some reason, people think that they can get somewhere faster by constantly shifting lanes, the fact remains, that they are still not going anywhere. By sitting in one lane and simply cruising rather than speeding up and stopping, you save your self a few neurons, and have an easier, smoother commute.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,407
    If more people just drove smoothly during rush hour it would move much faster for everybody. All the jumping forward and stopping is what causes traffic to get bad.

I drove a clutch in rush hour, and the clutch was not the problem, it was the traffic!
  • I just bought a new 2004 Honda Civic LX Coupe. When I took delivery, much to my surprise, the dealer said the LX Coupes (i.e., 2 door LX models) no longer come with the remote keyless entry. Only the 4 door models do.

Can anybody confirm this with their recent purchase? It's not that I don't trust my dealer, but, ...

Also, when I took delivery, the car's floor mats were missing. The dealer ordered new ones which should be here next week. Question: Is the standard equipment on an LX Coupe front floormats only or both front AND rear floormats? (I'lll leave it to your imagination as to why I'm asking :)