Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Civic 2005 and earlier

Comments

• lngtonge18lngtonge18 Posts: 2,228
    The 92-95 Civics required timing belt changes every 90k. Since this car has 88k, it's plausible the owner hasn't done it yet and is simply playing dumb about it or just doesn't know it needs to be done soon.
  • crv16crv16 Posts: 205
    I've owned my 03 Civic EX Sedan for a year and a half, and have run up 45,000 miles.

It runs as good as new. I haven't had a single thing go wrong. Just change the oil every 4 or 5 thousand miles. I put on a new set of Michelin tires to replace the Firestones at 31k.

The only disappointment is paint quality. Two New England winters have taken their toll - my front end looks like it's been sandblasted. This wasn't as severe with Accords I've owned in the past, so I suspect Honda uses a lesser quality paint on the Civic.
  • Dear friend, don't wait for your Civic to get the 100K miles. Replace the timing belt ASAP. Yes, if you break the timing belt while driving; certainly you will bent the valves. Don't try to save money buying the timing belt at any auto-part shop, buy it directly from the dealer and do replace it every 60k.

Leo
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,347
    Leo,

I'm sure your advise is well intensioned but it's wrong.

Hondas from 1997 on have a 105,000 mile timing belt interval or seven years.
  • st00kst00k Posts: 1
    Hi all, not sure if I'm in the right forum or not but...

I live in botswana and have just purchased a 1996 sri automatic imported from singapore. The car has 75,000 kms on the clock is in very good condition. Have to say I'm not and never have been a car person having ridden bikes all my life. I've owned a few cars VW Polo Mazda 626 and similar and have to say I am mightily impressed with this car. Rides like a dream and the vtec gives awesome response under 'load' - mpg is good too.

I have no manual for this car and can't find one locally so to the questions;

first thing i did was oil/filter/coolant/plugs change.

What else should i be immediately concerned with with a car of this age?

Any tips/help would be gratefully received. (i worry about timing belts....)

Thanks
  • pvolkerpvolker Posts: 1
    We have a 2004 Civic LX 4-door. Our family of 4 likes to tent camp during summer and fall months. We also like to take our bicycles with us. We have 2 kids who used to ride in a little trailer pulled by my bike but the kids are now big enough that we're going to need to take their bikes on trips with us. Space is going to be an issue. I'd like to put a Yakima Q-tower system on the roof for a cargo box and if possible, 2 bikes. The other 2 bikes would be on the rear carrier. Question...anyone have experience with cargo or bikes on their Civic? What do you use and how successful has it been? Thanks!!!!!
    Paul
  • port_48port_48 Posts: 27
    I know this one is over 2 yrs old but I just had the dealer fix my 2002 DX sedan. Whenever I operated the clutch pedal it would make a terrible noise, a combination squeak/spring motion noise that was worse at higher outdoor ambient temps. I could've sworn that it was the clutch pedal assembly pivot/bearing destroying itself. Dealer changed the clutch master cylinder (said there was a service bulletin out on it) and the noise is gone! I had read the service bulletin many months ago but it didn't describe the noise I was experiencing.

Covered under the 3yr warranty which expires in about 20 days.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,406
    Wish they gave us the Civic wagon, then space issues like that above would not be as much of a problem.
  • cakidcakid Posts: 1
    hey supz... i have a 00 honda civic lx... 72000 k.. do i need to change my timing belt? what other maintenance do I need on my car? include prices?

Thank you..
  • i had a 2001 echo before i bought my civic and i loved it, it was a very smooth feeling car with all sorts of storage and i liked the interior design with the carbon fiber options...it was really peppy at lower speeds...and i didn't really have a wind problem on the interstate. All in all it looked alittle funny on the outside but i loved the inside, it was alittle bland, but id buy another one
  • hondaohondao Posts: 5
    Hi all I am, I am interested in purchasing an used Honda Civic. The car that I recently saw is a 2002 DX, 35000 miles, good engines with some cosmetic problems: deep foot long scratch on the side, bumper is cracked and will have to be replaced, old tires which will have to be replaced. The seller is asking for $8500.
    Q1: is this a fair price?
    Q2: how much would it cost roughly to replace the tires and fix the scratch and bumper?

Thank you so much in advance!
  • gogiboygogiboy Posts: 732
    I have a 1994 Civic EX on which I have utilized a Yakima bicycle rack on and off for the last 8-9 years. The clamp system used to fit the 92-96 Civics requires that a metal flange extending from the tower sit behind the rubber weather-stripping of each of the door jambs. To reduce deformation of the weather stripping I only leave my rack on during extended trips with the bike(s). I have hauled two bikes without problem although there is extra wind noise. A few years ago I replaced the fork mounts with a Performance bike hard case to carry my road bike, which reduces wind noise and drag (improves MPG), but requires a greater disassembly of the bicycle.

I suspect the clamping system for the 92-96 era Civics places some undue stress on the window. I say this because my only problem in using the system has been a need to periodically have the window tint replaced on the front two windows because it begins to peel away at the top edge. This shouldn't be a problem if the newer Civics utilize a different clamp or if your Civic doesn't have aftermarket window tint. All in all, the Civic is a decent bicycle hauler although it does tax the 4 cylinder engine a little.

Gogiboy
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,621
    From what I've seen on these kinds of repairs (and I'm not in the auto repair business but have had a lot of cars repaired over the years), you could be looking at $750-1000 easy for the repairs, and add $250-300 for a decent set of tires including mounting, balancing etc. Also keep in mind the warranty will be up in 1000 miles--if it isn't up already.

On price, you might want to post that question in the "real-world resale values" discussion--they can give you a better picture. If it were my nearly-$10k, I'd spend it elsewhere (like on a new car with a new-car warranty and more equipment than the Civic DX), but that's me.
  • sandman46sandman46 Posts: 1,798
    I could'nt have put it in words better. That's one puppy I'd pass on. I'd even cross shop with a Toyota Corolla, had 2 already and they wear very well. Back in '97, I got a '96 DX with miles in the high teens for around $10k, threw away those papers awhile ago. Great economical car which could "haul a-s" when I needed that extra acceleration.
    Keep on searching bud, there are plenty of better alternatives out there. Why buy a used car that needs that kind of work...makes no sense. Ask Terry over in the Real World Trade-In Forum. He's unbelievably accurate on prices and a nice guy to boot. He'll point you in the right direction.
    Good luck!

The Sandman :)

(p.s. get a car with a great safety record. Had a frontal crash with a sabal palm tree down here in Boca Raton on wednesday and the postal truck did a great job of protecting me...just very bruised and sore all over! :( )
  • mautomauto Posts: 75
    I've had the squeaky clutch problem on my 02 for the last 40k miles. Of course, it started after Honda's lousy 3/36 warranty had expired. Still, it doesn't bother me that much and if it's not harming the clutch master, I'm not gonna replace it. Now, if I could only fix the rear suspension which bounces over dips in the road more than a person on a trampoline.
  • miket99miket99 Posts: 6
    My 2003 Civic is locking me out of the car. I pressed unlock on the keyfob to unlock the doors but the door lock on the drivers door only goes up a quarter inch, then back down.

I keep pressing unlock but the same thing keeps happening, the drivers door lock will go up a little bit then right back down. Using the key in the door will not work either. Anyone have this problem before?
  • insomnia24insomnia24 Posts: 1
    Just purchased my first Honda 2005 Civic EX, 5 spd, however the seatbelt alarm sound is driving me crazy when I am not wearing the seatbelt. Can someone tell me how to temporarily and permanently disable the alarm sound when not wearing a seatbelt (without disabling the airbag of course)? Thx

Marty
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,621
    I have a pretty good idea how to do this because the seat belt alarm on my car was accidently disengaged (had it reconnected by the dealer this week), but I'm not about to tell you. However, you won't hear it any more after you are thrown from the car in a collision, so that has the same effect as permanently disabling the alarm.

Please please please please... do not disable the seat belt alarm on your Civic. It's annoying for a reason. It's really easy to turn off the alarm just by buckling your seat belt.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,347
    Lost a friend when I was in high school. A minor accident but she got thrown out.

Sadly, it took her several days to die.

A beautiful, talented girl.
  • sandman46sandman46 Posts: 1,798
    I hydroplaned in my postal truck on April 27th and had I not been wearing my seatbelt, I would've been thrown the large windshield and killed by the large sabal palm tree my vehicle hit, after loosing all traction, jumping a curb & and coming to rest with a big bang as I hit the palm tree. Needless to say, the vehicle was totaled and I am still home from work and undergoing therapy for my neck and shoulders.
    I wasn't going very fast, about 10 mph, as I was lost. The wet pavement felt like ice after a recent rain shower and I lost ALL traction. My supervisor, the paramedics & the sheriff all said the seatbelt saved my life. i thank G-d that I had it on, as I never drive without it.
    Use your brain, put the seatbelt on everytime you sit in a car and live your life. I'm sure glad I did!

The Sandman :(

(Still stiff and in much pain 3 weeks later!)