Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Civic 2005 and earlier

Comments

• civicex05civicex05 Posts: 42
    So, my question is--do 04 or 05 Civics have side airbags for driver and all passangers (front and rear?) or do only 06 Civics have it? Thanks!

The '04 and '05 Civics had front side airbags only as an option. The vast majority of them did NOT have this option. None of the '04 and '05 Civics had rear side airbags. If you are concerned about safety, your best bet would be an '06.

David
  • jy8jy8 Posts: 3
    You could take it to the dealer and have them tell you what is really wrong.
  • jy8jy8 Posts: 3
    You do not need 6 bulbs. There should be a catalog near where the bulbs are at the store. You should be able to look up your car by year and model. It will tell you what bulb you need (and how many -- your car only needs one for each side and you should replace them both at the same time). Sorry I don't remember which one is correct -- just check the catalog at any auto parts store.
  • goofycatgoofycat Posts: 11
    Good luck;;;;go to Craigslist.com, Autotrader.com.,etc (check the used car marts under Google or Yahoo).
  • ranger10ranger10 Posts: 4
    Does anyone know the specs for the factory stereo on the 2005 Civic EX sedan? Specifically, I'm looking for wattage and output. Thanks!
    I just purchased a 2005 Civic EX sedan for $16,400 in Western Washington (23,500K). I took it on road trip where I was getting 41 mpg with the cruise control set at between 70 and 75 mph on flat stretches of road (mileage dropped to 39 on windy mountain roads with cruise on and off.)

My question: The noise level is astoundingly loud inside the car. Has anyone installed any sound-proofing? I've been looking at SecondSkin, RAAMat, Dynamat, etc. Any suggestions on the key places to install the stuff? (If I can avoid it, I'd rather not strip the entire interior, but will do it if it's necessary.) Would I get decent results installing only trunk and door panels?

I literally had to have the stereo on as loud as it would go to hear the music. (I'm also looking into a new stereo.) ;-)
    My question: The noise level is astoundingly loud inside the car. Has anyone installed any sound-proofing? I've been looking at SecondSkin, RAAMat, Dynamat, etc.

I installed a Dynamat Hoodliner in the engine bay to reduce engine noise, and Dynamat Original in all four doors and on the underside of the rear shelf of my 2005 Civic EX Sedan. The hoodliner did reduce engine noise to a certain extent, but not dramatically. One the other hand, the Dynamat in the doors made a huge difference. I would definitely recommend that you do that first. I have not installed any soundproofing in the trunk.

I have also considered pulling up the carpeting and installing Dynamat Tac Mat on the floor. If you ever do this, please let know what results you get. Thanks, and good luck.

David
    Thanks for the great information, David! It's good to know that the soundproofing the doors makes a big difference. I'll start there.

I also found this link, if you're interested...http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/conclusion/

This guy likes Second Skin, but mainly because of expense.

Was it difficult to do the doors? How long did it take you? Did you consider doing the wheel wells also?

When I get around to doing this, I'll post my results here.
    Was it difficult to do the doors? How long did it take you? Did you consider doing the wheel wells also?

I actually had a friend at a local stereo shop install it for me. I think it took him about an hour for each door, but he does have lots of experience. You'd better plan on spending a full day with it. There's some good information for installation on Dynamat's website, and on Crutchfield's website.

I never considered doing the wheel wells, but if you do that, let us know the results. Thanks.

David
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    This discussion has been reopened in accordance with this post: Sylvia, "Forums Software! Your Questions Answered..." #3319, 12 Nov 2006 2:43 pm. :)
  • Hello everyone,

I just spent over 780.00 on trying to get my check engine light to go out on my subj Civic. The final answer is "you have a bad computer" and to replace will cost 980.00. Well, if they ran diagnostics on it in the first place to correct a temperature Hi/Lo sensor and a transmission part (which makes the car run excellent now) how can that be. I found one on e-bay with 40K miles on it, but the numbers do not match up.

I own a car made in Japan, with a JHMED VIN...

it ststates on the computer:

37820-PM5-A550
    601-139748
    8 B
    with a manufacture date of 87-12-24

Many are available, I am hearing that any from the 88-91 years will work.

will it be compatable? Cost for the computer is less than 100.00. Is this something I can just swap out myself?

I bought this car new in 1988, it has over 178,000 miles, it drove me to 5 ships and 5 shore stations and will be featured in my retirement ceremony after I get to 25 yrs in the Navy. Everyone hates it but I loove it. It is my baby blue car!

Happy thanksgiving!

Kevin, Senior Chief, Unitied States Navy
  • Hello,

I am looking for any kind of help or suggestions that I can get. My 98 has recently been giving me problems. It looks as if the battery is going. But we have checked that and it seems to be fine. I will be driving and the whole thing will shut down [no sputtering just shuts down]. I will try to start it back up and I get nothing. It wont even turn over. The radio and the clock have reset [which is what led me to believe that it was the battery]. Once I jump start the car it works just fine. This has happened about 3 times now, and seems to happen when I am low on gas. I am not out of gas.. just on the low side. Which makes no sense. And I dont see how the two can be related, unless it is just some sort of freak accident.

Also, and I have no clue if this is part of the same problem.. I will drive my car for quite a while [ about an hour drive seems to be where this happens].. and then stop somewhere. If I get back in my car to start it up with in 15 min.. it will not start. But if I let it sit there for about 30 min or longer it will start up just fine.

Someone suggested starter for the second problem, but I have nothing on the first. I will take any suggestions that I can get [besides just taking it to the junk yard, as many have suggested already].

Thanks!!
  • sopmansopman Posts: 46
    I thinking about buying a 2007 LX Civic. Could someone please send me the link for this forum?

Thanks
    Sopman
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Thanks pulgo! :)

Here's a link to the same discussion that goes directly to the last page: http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.ef337c8/. It's probably easier to start there.
  • mcatmcat Posts: 3
    I was using a portable air compressor plugged into the power outlet of my 2004 Civic EX (auto.)and the plug would not come out. After about an hour of trying to get it out, I was finally successful. However, the outlet socket is slightly loose in the dash console now and it does not provide power. Not sure if it is just a loose wire or needs complete replacement. Any ideas on how to remove it or access the back to check the wiring? Also, I could not find the part when searching on the Honda parts website, any links?

Thanks!
  • jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    I have a 1999 Honda Civic Value Package (111,500 miles) that I'm hoping to hand off to my son (who'll be driving very soon) and lately the car has been leaking oil. It leaked quite a lot, and I took it back to Jiffy Lube where I had the last oil change done at 110,400ish miles, where they said there was something loose, which they tightened.

Well, today, I noticed some small spots of oil on a piece of cardboard I had placed underneath the car, so it is leaking again, but not as much as it did last week.

I'm wondering if a switch back to High Mileage Oil (I had used it for a while, then switched back to conventional oil) would solve the problem, or if there is something else that needs to be repaired.

Thanks in advance for any insight into the problem :)
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,630
    Is it possible the oil dripped on something on the car before it was repaired, and that's where the spots on the cardboard came from? I had a car once (can't remember if it was a Civic) that dumped oil onto a suspension part when I took the filter off.
  • jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    It's possible. I'll see if there is additional oil tomorrow. If there is none, then I guess the problem is solved :) But if there is then I'll probably put up another post.