Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Civic 2005 and earlier

Comments

• ratboy3ratboy3 Posts: 324
    Just looking for information for a friend about her Civic. I noticed the other day that the AC took forever to blow cold air. I asked her about it and she said she was told by her service people at her dealership that this is normal for the Civic. Is this true?

I believe it is a 1999 model.

We got to where we were going and barely cold air was blowing by then.

Thanks.
  • rgarbacciorgarbaccio Posts: 42
    I'm amazed at how many pickups are sold...we're #8 with the Civic.

Just wanted to ask again..when are the 2002's coming out?

http://biz.yahoo.com/rf/010601/n01609966.html

• inkyinky Posts: 370
    I have a 99 LX with 45,600 miles. I love this car with its 5 slick 5 speed. No one makes a 5 speed like Honda. I lament the death of the 5 speed. None in V-6 Accord. Rare to find in Civic in 5 speed any more.
    Anyhow, I have been getting 38,39 and up to 40 mpg with this car. 40 was a 400 mile trip at 65 mph. High 30's is my daily commute 14 miles interstate (60-65) and 2 miles streets. 32 is good but all things equal it sounds a little low, but you may be a redline guy or gal with heavy foot. Using 5w30 oil changed regularly? One person in the car?
    Take care
    INKY
  • carguy62carguy62 Posts: 545
    Usually Honda models with no major changes start arriving in September. There have been exceptions but it's a good bet you will see the '02 Civic then.
  • wvelezwvelez Posts: 16
    I'd like to know how the coupe (I know - this is a sedan forum, but please hear me out) achieved its excellent head side impact rating, when the side airbag does NOT cover the head (just the torso).
    This is particularly puzzling because the civic coupe achieved higher ratings for head protection in side impact testing compared to certain other cars which have the (head and chest) side airbag protection, such as the Mazda Protege, VW's.
    Was it luck?; testing variabilities?
    Just looking for information for a friend about her Civic. I noticed the other day that the AC took forever to blow cold air. I asked her about it and she said she was told by her service people at her dealership that this is normal for the Civic. Is this true?

Thanks.
  • gasguzzgasguzz Posts: 214
    For a test to be valid there has to be a benchmark in procedures and standards, so luck is ruled out. The tests should then be applied uniformly, making the variables in the cars themselves. The rule is that scores are obtained by the dummy's injuries. In translation (not being aware of the Mazda's equipment and assuming the Protégé achieved a lower testing score), the Mazda dummy had more injuries regardless of side-protection design. It's the sum of the parts that count (think Ford F-150). But then again, crashtests are tools to extract mean statistical data.
  • tomaszwtomaszw Posts: 1
    Since march I have been looking for small sedan. At the beginning I was considering WV Jetty, Ford Focus, Toyota Corolla, Honda Civic, Nissan Sentry. After many hours on the interned, at the dealers, searching newspapers. At the end I was considering only two - Honda Civic and ... Hyundai El antra. After test drives I decided to go with the Hyundai. Why? 13000$ (with the tax) - 140Hp, air, auto, power windows, mirrors, locks, side bags, 10 years warranty. For Civic DX + air, 5 speed manual + nothing powered they wanted 15000$ (with tax). I've driven my Elantra for 3 weeks and I'm very happy. I could have made such a big mistake if I bought something else.
  • superegosuperego Posts: 6
    I've got an e-mail notification of Civic recall
    from carpoint. There are 2 records in the recall
    history.
    But I don't know if my car is in the number of
    cars with problems.
    My car is 2001 Civic EX Auto Sedan, bought in
    2001, April.
    Should I drive my car to see the dealer or wait
    for the written recall notice?
  • bordsourcebordsource Posts: 95
    32 is about right. My car gets about 32 on the highway at 75 to 77 mph. Actually, my car gets about 33 no matter what. City driving, lead foot, highway, doesn't matter, it'll be between 32 and 34. However, once I spent the day driving back and forth from a town 40 mi away. In all, I drove 324 miles that day and averaged 40 mpg. That day, though, the cruise was permanently set at about 68 w/the air running.

The Civic coupe did better because the coupe has additional metal bracing in the side near the door rails to make up for the structural integrity lost from the elongated doors. This extra bracing shows up in its better crash test scores.

For 2002, white will probably be an EX color, and Eternal Blue might be discontinued...usually introductory colors don't last long. Then again, this is Honda, and that blue is used throughout the Honda and Acura model range. So I guess a better way to put it is to say that the blue might become available on DXs and LXs. Oh, one lat thing: I wouldn't be surprised if all of the cars came standard with the rear cupholder. It'd be nice if they extended ABS as a line-wide option. I would be seriously surprised if the feature content of particularly the LX cars isn't enhanced. This fall sees the introduction of the new Lancer and inches us closer to the introduction of a new Corolla. Given how sales have been slightly off, Honda might choose to add a little bit to at least the LXs.
  • heyqaqaheyqaqa Posts: 3
    Recall #1:

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 01V182000
    Component: FUEL:FUEL TANK ASSEMBLY:PIPE:FILLER:NECK
    Manufacturer: AMERICAN HONDA MOTOR CO.
    Potential Number of Units Affected: 120649

Year: 2001
    Make: HONDA
    Model: CIVIC
    Manufactured From: JUN 2000 To: JAN 2001
    Year of Recall: '01
    Type of Report: Vehicle
    Summary:
    Vehicle Description: Sedan and coupe model vehicles. The hose clamps on the filler neck tube have insufficient clamping force.

In a severe collision, the tube could disconnect from the fuel tank, resulting in fuel leakage. Fuel leakage, in the presence of an ignition source, could result in a fire.

Dealers will check the hose clamps for proper torque and tighten them correctly, if necessary. Owner notification is expected to begin during June 2001. Owners who take their vehicles to an authorized dealer on an agreed upon service date and do not receive the free remedy within a reasonable time should contact Honda at 1-800-999-1009. Also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's Auto Safety Hotline at 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).

Recall #2:

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 01V183000
    Component: FUEL:FUEL PUMP
    Manufacturer: AMERICAN HONDA MOTOR CO.
    Potential Number of Units Affected: 56269

Year: 2001
    Make: HONDA
    Model: CIVIC
    Manufactured From: AUG 2000 To: FEB 2001
    Year of Recall: '01
    Type of Report: Vehicle
    Summary:
    Vehicle Description: Sedan model vehicles. A small amount of water may have been left in the fuel pump electrical connector after testing. This residual water could cause the fuel pump to fail due to corrosion.

If the pump stops working, the engine will stall without warning, increasing the risk of a crash.

Dealers will inspect the fuel pump. If corrosion is found, the fuel pump will be replaced. Owner notification is expected to begin during June 2001. Owners who take their vehicles to an authorized dealer on an agreed upon service date and do not receive the free remedy within a reasonable time should contact Honda at 1-800-999-1009. Also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's Auto Safety Hotline at 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).
  • s852s852 Posts: 1,051
    The new Corolla is not coming this fall. It will be a 2003 model. A new Camry is coming the fall.
  • bordsourcebordsource Posts: 95
    I did not say that a new Corolla was coming this fall. I just said that this fall inches us closer to the introduction of the Corolla, which implies that while it won't be in the fall, it will be shortly thereafter.

Isell, do you think it wise to wait until we have been notified by mail on this recall, or do you believe that we should just take them in there before the rush hits?

Thanks.
  • mpgmanmpgman Posts: 723
    Congratulations! I went through the same process and bought the new Elantra GT 5 door hatch. This is one solid car! Will post more soon. Have 600 miles already. I decided to do this after renting an Elantra from Hertz for 2 weeks. If Hertz is confident enough to put these in their fleets, that is good enough for me.
  • dudkadudka Posts: 451
    you have to let a/c to recirculate the air, it is r134 system, and all of r134 systems are not as fast to cool the air as the older r12 systems. if you have bought a new a/c unit for home you would have noticed that it takes a while to cool the air. if you are concerned that a/s is not working, have it checked whether the is a leak, which i doubt. honda has a pressure sensor which disengages the a/c pump when the refrigerant pressure is low.
  • dudkadudka Posts: 451
    i hate to say that but i got out of my cute little civic and got into a shiny new cr-v se. first impressions are -- it feels like a civic, drives like a civic, it is a civic with bigger tires and 4WD, and bigger engine (i think it is from the previous generation prelude, the block and head looks the same as my sister's 88 prelude si)the only difference is that i can see over the cabbies now, and predict whether they will stop in the middle of the road to pick up the fare. :-) i guess i will be in the cr-v forum from now on.
    take care
  • What I believe Honda should do to boost sales for the 2002 Civic sedans.
    EX gets 2.0 DOHC i-VTEC from Stream
    LX and DX gets 1.7 SOHC VTEC (used on 2001 EX
    http://www.honda.co.jp/STREAM/info/type/index.html
  • mpgmanmpgman Posts: 723
    Start with making side air bags and ABS standard, so that in the case of ABS, you don't have to eat the moonroof to get it. Then redesign the totally useless center console area to incorporate real storage and an elbow level center arm rest, not the Hyundai Accent-like tack on that they currently put on the driver's seat of the EX. I'd leave the engine alone and use the more powerful one for the Si for those who want it. But I would seriously consider offering a 5 door hatch...perhaps turn the HX into that.