Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Civic 2005 and earlier

Comments

• jbolltjbollt Posts: 734
    I have a 2001 EX Sedan 5 spd with about 6500 miles now. The wheel covers are loose...the lug nuts that secure them and the wheels to the car, are tight. The dealer says "normal" (why am I surprised?) They are so loose, that you can easily rock them back and forth (rotate) about 1/2 inch. Does anyone else experience this and do you have a "do it yourself fix" as I really don't want to push the dealer on such a minor issue. Thanks, and loving my Civic and the 36+ MPG in town!
  • tazerelitazereli Posts: 241
    iM NOT 100% SURE ABOUT THE GEN 7 CIVICS BUT THE GEN 6 AND OLDER CIVICS THAT HAVE EXPOSED LUG NUTS HAVE SMALL RUBBER GROMMETS ON 2 OUT OF 4 OF THEM. PERHAPS YOURS DOES NOT HAVE THEM? MY 98'S WHEEL COVERS ARE TIGHT UP AGAINST THE WHEEL.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Posts: 2,228
    For your info, I own 4 cars, thank you, including a perfectly running VW with over 200k, so I know quite a bit about taking care of a car :) Secondly, the reason you get so few responses is your questions sound silly or can be answered with your handy manual. People don't like to see the same question repeated over and over so they just begin to ignore them as I have until I decided I wanted to be crabby (I may have come off as sounding a bit too harsh and for that I'm sorry). What kind of question is "how long will my tranny last if I floor it all the time?" or "Is it bad for my engine to rev it high all the time?"? No one knows the exact answer to these, but what I do know is don't expect a super long tranny life if you push it all the time. As far as, "will my engine run smoother or stay cleaner longer with 89 octane gas?", that's a big no, which you should already know since your manual tells you to use 87. Just try to keep the repetitive questions down. If no one replies, then no one cares to answer or doesn't have one, so don't repost it cluttering up the forum and making it harder to read through.
  • I am quite sorry about that post my Husnband made to you. I feel that was completely un called for. But I hope you take the appology. Thanks~ Oh by the way... I will re ask what his ignorant remarks where. How reliable is a 1997 or newer Toyota Camry, or Honda Civic... with high milage? What kind of near future problems would we usually encounter, and last, what sort of Honda or Toyo can we get for 10,000$ and 1997 or newer?
    Thanks much~~
  • rfruthrfruth Posts: 630
    High mileage = 100,000 or more miles ? 50 / 50 mix of city highway miles, maintance done, driven how ? IMO a Chevy with 100 K highway miles that was driven by a 45 year old would be a better buy than a riced up Civic with 100 K on it that was raced by a 20 year old. Rob (2000 Civic hatch) Fruth
  • Hi:

I purchased my 2001 Honda civic EX in July 2001. I travel an average of 8 miles per day and the total mileage is 970 miles. I thought I was due for my first oil change but the dealer told me today I did not need to do it until 4,000 miles, regardless of how many miles I have on the clock. I then called another dealer who told me I should probably have it changed within the next several months. Conflicting info from 2 dealers. Any suggestions? Also, I went to the Honda Website hoping I could email the question to them but could not locate a "customer service" link. Any ideas?
  • devoredevore Posts: 39
    Like lngtonge18 says above, "Check your manual." :)

The manual will tell you you ought to change the oil either every 7,500mi or 5,000mi in "harsh" conditions. To me this seems like it's really pushing it, as I'm used to the 3,000mi oil change standard.

So to answer your question, I'd say that changing the oil anywhere between 3,000mi and 7,500mi is fine. I seem to have mine changed about every 4,500mi or so.

I can't think of any instance in which you'd want to change the oil with < 1000mi on the car, though.
  • dtownfbdtownfb Posts: 2,915
    Actually the dealers gave you the same advice but just said it differently. You won't reach 4000 miles for several months with your driving pattern.

Since you have only traveled 1000 miles in 4 months and it is your first oil change, I would get it done at 3000 miles then go every 5000 miles after that. Or it may be easier for you to change the oil once every 6 months.

I believe Honda recommends changing the oil every 5000 miles for severe duty driving and 7500 for highway driving (others who own a Civic will know this) You definitely fall under severe duty mainly because of the limited amount you drive. Just make sure you use the correct Oil which is 5W-20.

Before you do anything else, please read you manual to see what service needs to be done to your Civic. Too many times people have no clue what needs to be done and they end up paying for things that are unnecessary. Never go into the dealer and say i need the "fill in the blank" service. Tell them exactly what you want done based on the manual. It will save you a lot of grief and you will come off as being knowledgable about your car.

Good luck.
    It's hard to cahnge after the oil companies (Quaker State, Pennzoil, etc.) have been beating us in the head with "YOu have to change your oil every 3,000 miles". Most manufactures now recommend waiting every 5000 miles even my Chevy Malibu recommends that. I believe some of the luxury cars have oil life indicators and soem of those don't recommend changing your oil for 10,000 miles.

Engines are made so much better today. Much less friction then even 10 years ago so there is less debris in the oil. Plus oil filters are much better at cleaning the oil. My thing is go with the manual. If something happens you have your receipts and the company's manual to back you up.
  • Driving as few miles as you do, your oil is good on miles. I would, however, change the oil next month. I used to live in another city where my average daily commute was about 6 miles, and a couple of different mechanics told me not to worry about miles driven, just change it every 6 months as long as you drive this little. Besides, why would you want to go longer than 6-7 months between changes? I know 3000 miles is a load of junk, but you don't want to go too far the other way, either.
  • Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the advice given. This is really a terrific source for very valuable info. I plan to change the oil in my vehicle next spring/summer. Thanks again!
  • carguy62carguy62 Posts: 545
    If I followed along you bought the car in 7/01 and you don't plan to change the oil until spring/summer of '02. Even with the low miles I don't think I'd wait that long....but that's just me. I don't put a lot of miles on either but I make sure to change at least twice a year. $14.95 or whatever is fairly cheap in the grand scheme of things.
  • Waiting about a year to change your oil? Oil changes are too cheap to wait that long. I would do it next month-but that's just me!
    That's good advice from carguy and claywaterfill. Plumekuss should get on a 6 month cycle. Also I would get it changed at the dealership. Just so you can build a repoir with them. You never know when having a good relation with the service manager will help you. It's not going to caost more than $25 for each oil change. Heck plumekuss may have ot only spend $100 in two years before her first real service maintenance at 7500 miles.
  • http://adventure.honda.com

When I get the Civic up to 60 or so, the back end breaks out at every corner and I whack a building.

Must be using the cheap Firestones on the game, too.

twist

• Just a reminder, Honda recommends NOT changing the oil in 01 (02 probably the same) Civics for at least 5k. I've asked several dealers as well as calling customer relations to confirm. I was told that Honda adds a "break-in" lubricant that needs to stay in the engine. It's frustrating as I always changed the oil in a new car at 1 or 2 thousand miles and every 3/3000 after that. I never had a new car that burned any oil or had a mechanical failure but I'm waiting until 5k.
  • devoredevore Posts: 39
    I agree with dtownfb - especially for a new car, get your oil changed at the dealer. I'm sure many people have nice experiences going to quick oil-change outfits like Jiffy Lube or whatever, but I've sowrn those places off. You get what you pay for.

The last time I went to Jiffy Lube, they started to put the wrong type of oil in and I wouldn't have known the difference if I hadn't been watching. Then, when their worker was pulling my car out of the stall into the parking lot, he started the car, pressed on the gas, and never took off the emergency brake. He revved my engine up and the car didn't move well, so he threw it into park, revved the engine again, then noticed that the parking brake was on. He then let the parking brake out, and revved the engine again, only to realize that it was still in park - he then popped it into drive without letting the engine come back down to idle and wound up basically laying a nice peel in the garage, almost hitting the garage door on the way out.

These guys aren't "experts." They're 16 year olds working a part time job changing oil. That's fine, and for an older car I might take it there, but there's no way I'm letting a bunch of 16 year olds work on a new car I just paid $17K for.

No offense to 16 year olds, of course - if I was in their shoes (and I once was, obviously) then I'd probably be the same way. You only get SO much skill for $14.95.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Posts: 2,228
    After my terrible experience with a quick lube palce, I will NEVER trust those people again. I bought a 91 Nissan Stanza almost a year ago and took it in to have the oil changed the same day I bought it. It was against my better judgement but the filter was on the back of the engine and was hard to get at so I figured I would save the hassle. Well, I had it done and then happily took my car on the highway for the first time. When I got off the highway, my engine was making a terribly loud valve tapping noise. I thought I bought a lemon!! It sounded awful and I was fuming. I checked the oil and it seemed to be fine. Well, I got the car home and let it sit for awhile. I rechecked the oil again and found out the oil place had overfilled the engine by a whole quart! I redrained the extra quart and too my amazement the engine quieted back down. It did permanently harm one of the hydraulic lifters and caused an oil burning problem for 6k miles (burned a quart every 500 miles or so). It nearly ruined the entire engine! Needless to say, I notified the owner of the place and most likely got the manage fired (he called me and cussed me out for calling him at a number his own workers gave me). Moral of story: Make sure you double check your oil level if you must take it to these quick lube places.
  • How much does your local Honda dealer charge for the 30k mile service in your area for your Civic? The dealers in the Chicago/Milwaukee area charge anywhere between $350 to $400. That's uncomfortably close to BMW territory ($484 at a local dealer for a 3-series). Coolant flush & fill isn't even included. Do you think the 30k service is necessary even if it's clearly overpriced? Especially if the car's been trouble free? Preventive maintenance for an "economy" car should run half what they are charging, IMHO.
  • I am in the market for a 2002 Civic. While shopping, I noticed that some of the cars were assembled in Japan and others in North America. Given the choice, is one better than the other?
  • carguy62carguy62 Posts: 545
    Big can of worms. Several topics about it in the maintenance and repair section (look for quality assurance in the title). Speaking for myself, if I had the choice between a Honda built in Japan or elsewhere, the choice would be pretty easy.
  • mdrivermdriver Posts: 385
    There's no measurable difference.
    Did you ask the service manager how much the 30k service was? Or did you hask how much would it be to do the oil hange, change the transmission fliud, etc??? You shoud do the latter. Never go to a mechanic and ask how much for th e "___" (fill in the blank) service. It may include things you don't need done to your vehicle.

Best thing to do is look in the manual (a novel idea) and see what is required for the 30k service. Then call the service department and ask them how much it costs to do the following items. For example, I change my own air filter. The garage will charge you for the filter plus half hour of labor. And my oil changes tend not to fall on the required service interval. So some times I may not need to have the oil change.

Follow what is in the manual.
  • C&D 10 best was in this thread some time ago, just found this on the europeanhonda web site.

Honda is the winningest make with 3 models on the list including the Accord, 16 times winner in 20 year.

As reported earlier, the new Honda Fit won the 2001 Car of the year (COTY) award in Japan, making it 2 in a row for Honda after winning the COTY last year with the Civic series.

http://www.europeanhonda.demon.nl/hondanews13.htm#c&d
  • gasguzzgasguzz Posts: 214
    Even at "severe" use the coolant is rated for 45k miles. You needn't use "genuine Honda fluid", as it is merely industry-standard green coolant. Now, that doesn't mean you can use 7-elev coolant (Texaco/Prestone is fine). The manual doesn't call for a flush either, just drain and refill (especially on an engine that has no cooling problems). Mix 50/50 and use a coolant tester (for some $4) to verify. Important - make sure you check the reservoir level after driving few miles at normal temp, the engine will probably tap into that reserve. For $5/gal, I change mine every 2 years. While the coolant may be stable and show balance at the freezing/boiling point, lubricity does breaks down from heat.
    Good luck.
  • osum02osum02 Posts: 29
    I personally have compared a Japan assembled Civic's to North American assembled Civic's and I have found absolutely no difference whatsoever. The vast majority of Civic's are made in either Alliston, Ontario, Canada or East Liberty, Ohio. Only about 3% of Civic's are imported from Japan. Honda's been making most Civic's in North American since the mid to late 1980's and since then Consumer Reports and other trade magazines have given the Civic excellent ratings in DQR (dependability, quality, reliability). In fact, if there have been any problems, it's been with parts from Japan or cars assembled in Japan. Awhile back I spoke with the service department manager of a Honda dealership in Olympia, WA who used to work in the Marysville, Ohio and he stated that all 3 plants in Canada, the U.S., and Japan are within tenths of each other as far as workmanship goes. In other words, it does not matter where a Honda product if manufactured
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,741
    Still, there others who frequent these forums who have a different opinion...
  • stragerstrager Posts: 308
    Check out the discussion in the Station Wagons board. It doesn't look like a wagon, but the Civic 5 door is the dominant body style sold in Europe and Japan. Maybe we'll see it here in the Fall of 2002, to compete with the Protege 5 and the Toyota Matrix.
  • I would not be surprised to see it if the P5, Matrix, and Focus ZX5 do real well.
  • Has anyone installed Honda's in-dash 6 CD Changer in a 2002 Civic? The installation instructions were not clear on how to remove the 12v accessory part of the console prior to removing the main area of the console.

Thanks, Andy.