Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Civic 2005 and earlier

Comments

• anonymouspostsanonymousposts Posts: 4,202
    I think you can replace the gauge cluster but that will kill your cars value because it will be true miles unknown. The mileage won't match and anybody who looks at the car will know it's not the original cluster.
  • sandman46sandman46 Posts: 1,798
    Got this feature on my '03 Sentra and it's a nice extra to have. I think eventually all car makes will have this little "extra" as standar equipment on all trim levels as more people desire it.

The Sandman :-)
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,628
    Well, both of ours cars have this and, for me, anyway, I could care less about it.

The one for the Accord has had a dead battery for a month...ho hum...

I mean, I've got to have the key out anyway in order to start the car!

But, I guess it's a big deal for some people!
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    mainly because it helps to prevent scratches from errant key placement.

~alpha
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Posts: 2,228
    Isellhondas: You would think differently if you were trying to unlock your car in a dark area. Nothing worse than trying to find the keyhole and scratching the paint all up in the process. And than of course there is the danger of being bent over trying to find the confounded thing while someone approaches you from behind...
    Keyless entry is a godsend. I would never buy a car without it.
  • osum02osum02 Posts: 29
    I went onto the College Hills Honda website and it stated there would be a freshened restyling for the '04 MY Civic. It also states there's 2 new colors, Fiji Blue Pearl and Magnesium Metallic. Can anyone describe what Figi Blue and Magnesium Metallic are? Are these colors replacing some current colors? One thing I heard from a reputable source recently is that the Civic EX Sedan will have alloy wheels standard for 2004 just like the EX Coupe has for '03. Also does anyone know at what point will the changes to the '04 Civic be made public? In recent years the Civic is usually in the back of dealer lots at the middle or end of August.
  • bjk2001bjk2001 Posts: 358
    micweb:
    Keyless is nice to have. I personally like it. But some people could live without it to save a couple hundreds bucks, also some other people think power window/door is not necessary either. FYI, some other much more expensive cars than Civic LX, like Toyota Avalon XL $27K Highland SR5 V6, don't come with Keyless entry either.
    Regards,
    bjk
  • sandman46sandman46 Posts: 1,798
    She thinks it's a very good thing, especially the safety issue. With 2 teenage daughters driving, it's a G-dsend just for the peace of mind. Will the '04's finally have this feature across the whole line? The Sentra, Corolla, and the Protege all ahve this on most of their lines, so it'll only be a matter of time before Honda follows suit.

The Sandman :-)
  • jeff186jeff186 Posts: 95
    Supposedly, there will be a Value Package model in '04, though I don't have the details.
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    It's fine that you have to take the key out to start the car, that makes sense. But throw in a bag or three of groceries and two toddlers, and you will be begging for keyless entry...
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,687
    Or how about a briefcase, a gym bag, clothes on a hanger, and wet sloppy winter stuff on the ground (as in I don't want to set anything down in it while I unlock the door)? Before I bought my current car, I thought keyless entry was a non-essential feature too; now I wouldn't want to live without it.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Um, but don't you still have to have a free hand to grab and pull the handle?
    Try this test: take in hand a PC bag weighing 20-25 pounds, a stuffed gym bag, and a suit on a hanger. And the remote. First, try pressing the remote button to unlock the doors, then lift the handle on the back door with one finger (which is all you'll have free). Place stuff in back seat. Close door, open driver's door. Next try unlocking the driver's door with the key, which takes an entire free hand to grab the key and turn it, while juggling all the stuff, keeping it out of the mud/slush or off the car. Which is easier? Now try the same thing (to vocus' earlier post) with a couple of heavy bags of groceries, or maybe a bag of groceries and a small child, in your hands. See why remote locking is a very good thing?
    I definitely have to agree with you on that one. You can never have too many free hands when dealing with one toddler, let alone 2! :)
  • micwebmicweb Posts: 1,617
    Which, by the way, came on at only 8,000 miles (supposedly the service interval is 10,000 miles; I do almost all freeway driving, so it's not my driving habits!).

BTW, I have been gettin 3,000 mile oil changes at the dealer's drive through lane. I guess they haven't been resetting the maintenance indicator light.

I have a 2003 Civic.
    If your Civic is the same as my 02 SI and my 03 Accord then all you have to do is have the car completely off, hold in the select/reset knob (should be just right or left of your odometer) and while holding in the select/reset knob turn the key to the "on" position. Keep holding the select/reset knob until the light resets. I don't think I had to turn the car completely on to get it to reset in my Civic but I did in my Accord so if it doesn't reset in the "on" position, restart the procedure and turn the car completely on.
    You guys are killing me. LOL. Keyless is nice to have but not a necessity. How did people survive all those years without keyless entry? It just unlock the door won't open it for you. Would you want to have keyless driver side power door as standard too? Keep in mind it's not hard for a professional thief to grab your keyless entry code.
    Thanks. I will try this tonight. I am assuming the "select/reset" knob is the same knob that resets the odometer mileage?

Funny that Honda doesn't document this in the manual...

At least it's simpler to do than the hoops Chevy owners have to go through, with their stereo controls, to reset their reminders....
  • rivertownrivertown Posts: 928
    It's on page 62 of my '02 Civic Si manual.
    Yeah, it's funny how "nice to haves" can become "necessities" once you get used to them, isn't it? My first car didn't have a radio, power steering, power brakes (power anything), no carpeting, and 4-55 A/C. My next car got an AM radio, carpeting, and power brakes, and I swore I'd never do without a radio again. The next car had an AM/FM stereo cassette--from then on I had to have a stereo. Two more cars later, I finally got a car with power steering, plus A/C (moved from Minnesota to Houston), power mirrors, adjustable lumbar support etc. From then on, I had to have A/C--even when I moved back to Minnesota. A few years later I got my first 4-door car, a '88 Civic LX, and it had power windows and locks. Of course, they now became a necessity in any 4-door car I would own in the future. Years later I got my first taste of keyless entry, in a '99 Caravan, and saw the value of that. Maybe it demonstrates that we don't realize what we are missing until we've actually experienced something.

Re the "keyless driver side power door"... have you noticed that keyless power doors are becoming an extremely popular option on minivans? I don't have it on my minivan, so of course "I don't need it." But if I get that feature on my next minivan, I'm sure it too will become a necessity.
    IMHO side/head impact air bag and ABS brake are necessities on all cars. Car makers should make them as standard on low end/trim level car too. Keep keyless entry as an option on lower trim model and standard for upper trim level.
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    Not many models in this class offer a side impact airbag that protects head AND chest for the front seat driver. Offhand, the only ones I can think of are Sentra (optional) and Elantra/Accent (standard)..possibly Focus, I'm not sure. The ION offers a side curtain that protects ONLY head, but covers front and rear (optional). I was disappointed that the redesigned 03 Corolla did not offer the same available setup as other redesigned Toyotas- front side chest airbags in seat and curtains for both rows. Both the Civic and Corolla offer side airbags that only protect chest. bleh.

~alpha
    I tried holding in the knob that sets the clock and resets the odometer while starting the car. Didn't work. My manual doesn't reference resetting the reminder at all...although it does have a brief paragraph about when the reminder is supposed to come on. Maybe your Si (made in England) was configured differently than the more common North American Civics?
    The key needs to be in the off position. Hold that knob down and then turn the key to the on position (the position right before you start the car) and hold it for 10 seconds or so. If that doesn't work then repeat the procedure and turn the car completely on. These instructions have been in both my SI and my Accord and the previous generation Accords I have owned. It's in your owners manual somewhere. Have you tried the index under maintenance required light?
  • rivertownrivertown Posts: 928
    In my manual, it's at the end of the 'indicator lights' section, right before the 'guages' section, in the 'instruments and controls' chapter.
  • uga91uga91 Metro AtlantaPosts: 1,065
    Which way to go? Price is not the issue--I know the Accord will be a couple grand more. The car is mostly a commuter, but will have to haul kids every now and then, though. The Accord has more size and more room for "future expansion" but the Civic gets better mpg and has a sunroof. With the Accord LX now having ABS, that is one major point taken away from Civic EX. Any thoughts?
    If you need more room than the Civic has, choose the Accord. Keep in mind that the Civic EX has a standard sunroof, which might compromise head room if you're tall (it does for me, and I am 6'3).
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Posts: 2,228
    Woah! Looking at the Accord and Civic? I thought you just got 2 new cars and won't be shopping for a long time??
    He sounds like he goes through cars like you do. :)
  • uga91uga91 Metro AtlantaPosts: 1,065
    Shopping for a new car. I'm just the kind of guy who can not stay away from the idea, though. I was just wondering which way Civic owners think on this subject. Do many Civic owners find their back seat not as big as they thought? Is it plenty big for what they need? Has the quality been what they thought it was? Did they buy a Civic EX because they wanted ABS, but now that the Accord LX has ABS, would they buy it instead if they had it to do over again? Don't worry you two, I'm not heading to my friendly local Honda store any time in the near future.