Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2011 Honda Pilot

Comments

• chesterschesters Posts: 7
    Brought it in to the dealership and told that the "mode" control was damaged during the production. They have ordered the part and will replace it. Wonder how this passed the quality control.
  • nklatskynklatsky Posts: 2
    I just completed a frustrating month trying to get a 2010 Pilot with the low financing rate, to find out there are no more 2010's available. Has anyone heard of the low financing becoming available? Any thoughts if Honda might do this again for this model?
  • mybuymybuy Posts: 42
    When I was looking at the end of March, I couldn't find a 2010 either - they kept disappearing as soon as one was found. I finally found out that Honda was offering the incentives for 2011s when a dealership ran out of 2010s. I was able to lease a 2011 from a dealer who was out of 2010s. You might ask the question about incentives on 2011s. Good luck.
  • jplymanjplyman Posts: 90
    I searched most of the country East of the Mississippi and only found Dallas to have a large qty of 2010's. The one I found an hour away the guy was not dealing at all wanted me to pay the more than what I paid for my 2011.

I purchased a 2011 last week EX-L my price was 31,600 plus tax for a total of 33,800 out the door. I was able to get a 3.29% interest rate from the dealership. The key to getting a good rate is to have one line up outside - I let them know that I had a 4.19% from my bank USAA.

Good luck - my wife tells me it is a great car... :-(
  • nklatskynklatsky Posts: 2
    Thanks for the feedback....I always hate the car buying process...It always seems that whatever car I want , the dealer claims to never make any money off of it/me...is giving it away...etc....such BS....it drives me nuts! I know that on some level they know that I know they are full of it...but I want the car....I know I have to bring a friend along who is not emotional about the purchase..and can tell me to walk away..Wall street...and car dealers...the worst.
  • jplymanjplyman Posts: 90
    Trying going through the internet department and if you have a car buying service available to you us that - it will put you touch with someone who is use to dealing via email and phone. I did my entire deal over the phone and it took me about 45 mins between two dealers to get my deal. Also, use the price that I got as a starting point.

Good luck
  • swoosh2swoosh2 Posts: 2
    what was the sticker price on this Pilot? I live in NY and this same vehicle has a sticker price of $36,305
  • swoosh2swoosh2 Posts: 2
    What was the sticker price on the 2011 Pilot you purchased? What is the Dealers Name and Phone Number? I plan on picking up a 2011 Pilot EXL on Friday. Those plans could change if I can get the same deal as you

Thank you in advance
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,935
    Check the Honda Pilot Prices Paid and Buying Experience discussion too.

But no phone numbers please - they change and we wind up getting complaints. You can use the dealer web site for current contact info.

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• New to the forum... Going to buy a 2011 EX-L. Trying to decide if navigation is worth it? Does the usb come standard on the EX-L or do you have to get the navigation package? Is the navigation worth an extra 2,000?

More important question... dealer quote around 33,300 with navigation. Probably can get him down another couple hundred. Out the door with everything... around 35,500. Good deal?
  • jammin6jammin6 Posts: 1
    Got a quote of $36,800 for the Pilot Touring... Wondering if this is a good deal or not. I have been checking around, but the dealer seems to be slowly creeping up their prices and I am starting to get so annoyed that we are about to walk away. Anyone have any suggestions, comments? Also, they had to put an order in for our car... we put a deposit down last weekend, and supposedly they were going to start looking today. Although we were told they would have it yesterday...

Thanks for your help
    edited June 2010
    Check in the Honda Pilot Prices Paid and Buying Experience discussion too.

• I've been in the market for a new SUV for several months and have looked at nearly every 7 - 8 passenger SUV on the market that's less than $50k. I have only owned Honda products for the past 15 years. I currently own an Accord so I saved the Pilot for last expecting it to be the best. I remember looking at the Pilot several years ago and wanting one, but couldn't justify it at the time. When I finally got a chance to look at the 2011 Pilot I was very disappointed. It seems like Honda is starting to follow GM; i.e. great looking exteriors, but cheap interiors. I was surprised at how cheap the interior felt. The leather seats were not comfortable. The dash was overly cluttered. I was also hoping for much better towing capability.

After all my looking, here's my quick summary.
    1. Pilot - just not up to my Honda expectations.
    2. MDX - very comfortable. Amazing that it's the twin to the Pilot. In the end though it's too much of a Mommy vehicle.
    3. Tahoe/Yukon - the worst third row seating I have ever seen. And what's with the exposed wires under the front seats?
    4. Sequoia - by far the best, but no incentives to sell even though Toyota keeps taking a beating.
    5. Buick/Chevy/GMC crossovers - again just another Mommy car like the MDX.
    6. Ford/Lincoln SUVs - one word "No" just because it's a Ford.

So in the end I guess I get to save my money which isn't a bad thing. I plan on paying cash anyway so I can just keep it invested until something finally comes out that I can justify spending my money on.
  • I pretty much have the same question as 'country12345.'
    After much research I have decided I like the Pilot.
    I live in Alaska where the navigation does not work. Honda won't even allow sales of a car with Nav here. So, I am searching the net for dealers in Washington state.
    I am interested in the navigation for a couple of reasons. One of them being the USB port/larger stereo system. The other is I plan a lower-48 road trip and NEED some sort of navigation.
    Is the Honda navigation system adequate? I have read a couple of comments that say it works really badly. Can anyone say good things about it? Would I be paying 2k extra for a USB port and having to buy a supplemental Nav system?

I was told yesterday by a Seattle area dealer that vehs with Nav are unavailable right now and it would take about 10 weeks for another supply. Has anyone else in the pacific northwest encountered this?
    Appreciate any feedback.
  • ask420ask420 Posts: 5
    Hi Laurienalaska,

We live near seattle area too and we have finalized the 2011 honda pilot, 4dr, w navigation, paperwork done on saturday and got a call today from the dealer that everything was approved. So will pick up the pilot may be tomorrow.
    Will let you know once we get the vehicle, regarding the navigation.

When we wanted 2011 pilot with navi our local dealer didn't have it either...so they ordered it from somewhere near the seattle area.

How much are they quoting for the vehicle??

I wanted particular color so the agent said that they don't have the color i am loooking for anywhere within state or elsewhere and if we wanted that particular color we had to wait for 2-3 months. Hence going with our second option.
  • Hiya~

How are you enjoying your Pilot? Anything of interest to report on the navigation system?
    I have not even gotten to the 'price quote' step yet.
    Thanks,
    Laurie
  • azlib62azlib62 Posts: 3
    We've had our 2011 Pilot Touring 2wd for almost 3 months now. Overall I like the car, but it's for my wife who drives *a lot* going around town for her appointments. She previously had a Ford Windstar. Going to a Pilot is a big difference in the seats, she does not find them comfortable. Nav works good, no complaints here in AZ. Interior we're finding has some cheap plastic parts. One hook for the built-in sun shade for back doors has broken off. Tailgate handle is put on with plastic clips, one time opening it in our garage it got caught in the open garage door, getting it free the handle pulled off, plastic broke and $150 to fix. My other complaint is front wheel drive, if turning and accelerating does not feel stable at all, not a good feeling. So some dissatisfaction, but I still think it's better than other cars in the same class, with V6.
  • loachloach Posts: 246
    I was getting excited about possibly getting a Pilot to replace my troublesome GMC Acadia. Then I started doing research and it looks like in order to get memory seats I have to get Touring package that includes navigation and DVD RES. I don't mind nav - was probably going to get that anyway, but my wife has a real problem with TV in the car (nor do I want to pay for it) so DVD RES looks like a deal-breaker. I guess I'm too late to the party as I understand DVD was an option on 2010 Touring. Too bad 2010s are gone. Looks like I'll be taking a look at the new Explorer in a couple months.

I'm amazed at how many manufacturers force you into a fully loaded model with DVD entertainment in order to get memory seats. Armada and Sequoia - same story.
  • EX-L with built in NAV might be nice but how quickly will technology changes be? Will built-in NAV stay up to date compared to relatively inexpensive NAV products sold seperately like Garmin, TomTom and Magellan?
  • rokrok Posts: 2
    we couldn't be happier w/ our new pilot! we decided to trade in our '08 acadia and thought about another one, but too many negative reviews and mentions of lemon laws. i ended up researching just about every vehicle in the suv 7 + passenger class. chev / gmc / buick too pricey, not to mention the quality issues. madza cx9 was smaller than pilot and seats were not comfortable for us. hyundai had terrible road noise. volvo was really plain and terrible design to fold the rear seats, as you could not do it from the back of the vehicle. after all our looking, we seriously considered the pilot and were pleased with the price, especially compared to the chevy traverse, the main competition. i was amazed that i was able to buy the pilot for $4k less. it drives great and is so quiet. we love all the storage space and the kids the window shades. bluetooth and voice controls are really cool. hard to believe we got the build quality and reputation of a honda for less than chevy and most others. consider us happy to be honda owners!
  • I just recently purchased the Honda pilot 2011 ex. I wish I could say I had no buyers remorse, but I do. For the most part my issues with the vehicle are cosmetic.

Top list of issues out of the box:
    1) Within a couple of days a moderate creaking/rattle noise developed from under the front passenger area when accelerating or breaking. Fortunately the dealer was able to repair this issue, but the repair job left some traces.
    2) There is a quarter size darker black discoloration on the steering wheel that is very noticeable in certain lighting conditions.
    3) The front dash board panelings do not line up up properly and leaving distracting gaps.
    4) The shift level has started to make rattle/squeak noises under certain conditions and seams to be growing in frequency.
    5) There are a couple of minor scratches on the dashboard.

These issues just gives me a feeling of poor quality from the inside when driving around. I wish I could return or exchange it like other merchandise. I will probably take the car in for 2. I expect that not much can be done about rest however.

On the positive side, I find everything else as expected (i.e. the import stuff).
    1) MPG (18) is better than my 98 pathfinder (16) for my driving.
    2) Engine noise and highway noise is except-able (impressive for the noise freak I am)
    3) Function selection selections are great: Heated outside mirrors, rear AC, flip up window, no moon roof option, strong roof rack etc.

Hope some you find this information useful.
  • vrmvrm Posts: 303
    I have news which will increase your buyers remorse:

The 2011 Honda Pilot failed to get a 5 star safety rating. The 2011 Pilot was not able to pass the rigorous NHTSA safety tests.

Hard to believe but true.
  • arob1arob1 Posts: 34
    A/C in my 2011 EX went dead at 300 miles. Dealer had to replace HVAC control module which stopped communicating to car's main computer.
    edited December 2010
    After losing the 5 star safety rating, the 2011 Pilot has hit more turbulence.

Honda has announced a recall of all 2011 Pilots to "prevent potential front suspension failure."
  • you seem to have a chip on your shoulder about the Pilot. Not getting 5 stars is not failing. You said that a couple of posts ago. I also see that you are very fast to criticize the Pilot. Do you have one, or are you just a disgruntled ex-Pilot user?
    edited February 2011
    Yes - this Pilot deserves criticism. Honda overpromised and underdelivered.

For a vehicle, which touts is safety, getting 4 stars is like getting a F grade in class. Is that clear?
    Caveat Emptor.
  • fio1022fio1022 Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a new 2011 pilot.
    It now has approximately 1200 miles and gas mileage is pitiful at 11.4 mpg.
    This vehicles sees very little highway but this can't normal.
    Any suggestions on how to improve.
    Thanks
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 8,036
    Honda engines are known for taking some time to achieve maximum mpg. Give it about 10K miles and then see how it's doing.
  • akanglakangl Posts: 3,596
    Yes - this Pilot deserves criticism. Honda overpromised and underdelivered.

For a vehicle, which touts is safety, getting 4 stars is like getting a F grade in class

As an owner of a 2007 Pilot EX-L and now a 2011 Pilot EX-L I agree in some ways that the new Pilot isn't as good as the old one. I preferred my 2007 as far as, looks and size, but the seats were horrible, one of the reasons I sold it. The 2011 seats are much better.

As for safety, well, after being involved in an accident just over a month after buying my 2011 Pilot I can honestly say the car could not have done better. It kept me and my husband safe, for that I have no regrets that I bought it.

I'm looking forward to getting it back from the body shop and hope I never have to go through that again.
    "Have you held off on a car purchase because you're waiting for a better deal? Or did you go ahead and buy because you assume car prices could just rise even further this summer? An Associated Press reporter would like to talk with you. Please send your contact information to Aaron Lewis at pr@edmunds.com."