Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Unintended Acceleration - Find the Cause

1106107108109110112»

Comments

• It's not an argument--with ABS it's a fact---pumping the brakes defeats the ABS function.

What you do is jump on the pedal with both feet if you have to*

*exception---gravel roads---that's where you might get more results by pumping.
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,676
    edited December 2013
    Also on Ice. We disabled the ABS when possible as they caused loss of control on ice. Light taps on ice work better than full on braking. I spent 8 months per year driving on ice in the Arctic for 25 years. No accidents or slide off into the ditches. For me the cop that got killed, presents more questions than answers. I drive that stretch about once a week and look at the spot they ended up and wonder what he could have done.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,950
    Re pumping the brakes, I was thinking more of this scenario from that plaintiff's lawyer's site, Safety Research & Strategies.

"with the throttle plate open, the vacuum power assist of the braking system cannot be replenished and the effectiveness of the brakes is reduced significantly and that brake pedal force in excess of 150 pounds was required to stop the vehicle, compared to 30 pounds required when the vehicle is operating normally."
  • Yes but the vacuum does not dissipate with steady brake pressure. If he pumped the brakes many times over, then he caused the brakes to be difficult (but by no means impossible) to operate because he didn't follow the proper procedure for braking with ABS. This should have been part of his training.
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,676
    As a veteran of the CA HP he probably learned the pre ABS braking method. Old habits are hard to break. I hated driving my 1973 Subaru and 78 Honda Accord on ice and snow. I never got used to FWD on slick surfaces. Give me rear wheel or AWD. Then I never liked driving sedans much anyway.
  • kernickkernick Posts: 4,072
    Busiris: Just because something "could" happen in no way means it "will", or "has" happened.

Me: That's exactly how I feel when I walk into a convenience store and buy a lottery ticket. The same probability-theory applies to most car defects. Maybe 20 - 2,000, of hundreds of thousands of models will actually have the same variables actually align to trigger the problem. The defect is a "potential" not an "absolute". But that does not mean that because it is not easily duplicated, or it is not understood how to duplicate it, that the events - though improbable are not happening.

Given the number of patches and upgrades I've received for years on my computers, I guess there are a lot of flaws in the software.
  • For "Fly-By-Wire" vehicles we already know the CAUSE of unintended malfunctions, its close proximity broadcasting of digital signals by RF devices such as CELL PHONES Its why aircraft do NOT permit CELL PHONEs onboard an aircraft that is taxing to takeoff In USA cell phone frequency range is ~800MHz wherein wavelength = c, speed of light / frequency, to give a wavelength of ~14". Any T-shaped FM antennae picks up this signal IF top of T is 14" or half of the T is 7". Does a half wave antennae protrude into an auto cockpit? Can we say "Turn Signal" wherein a 7" length of wire is connected to the CRUISE CONTROL> When Mrs. Rhonda Smith testified in congress that her runaway Toyota dropped to 35mph after she called her husband, that "God Intervened". Sorry but her CELL PHONE intervened NO ONE in congress nor gov't DOT asked the next logical question- When no. did you dial? Why? Last thing gov't needs is another car co. to Bail Out as NO ONE would buy a Toyota So we have another GOV'T COVERUP, which only adds fuel to the firestorm that Americans are coming to the realization that "AMERICA is a BIG CORPORATE LIE" sorry about that

• Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,950
    edited February 7

Finally, a verified mechanical cause for once.

"Fiat Chrysler Automobiles NV said it is recalling its 2014 Ram ProMaster vans to resolve a condition that may allow an accelerator pedal to stick in the wide-open position if force is applied at an angle."

Chrysler recalling nearly 10,000 vans for pedal problem (Detroit News)