Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Unintended Acceleration - Find the Cause

1107108109110111113»

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,413

It's plausible but it's not science. It's also plausible that they changed it for other reasons. It's also plausible that they changed it as a precaution, and that no tin whiskers ever caused a UA incident, then or now.

Until someone finds me a car that does consistent UA, and then delicately puts that throttle system into a "normal" car, and THAT second car goes UA, I'm not buying this one bit.

Basically we are being asked to believe in ghosts.

• steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,004

Kind of like the "ghost" of gravity? "Science is not about proving things. It never has been, and it never will be. Instead, science is about observing the Universe around us and using those observations to try to understand how the Universe works." (newsvine.com)

How about a 2005 Toyota Camry for your car?

Electrical Failure of an Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor Caused by a Tin Whisker (NASA - pdf file)

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• fintailfintail Posts: 33,509

Is it just coincidence that these whiskers seem to be plaguing cars that attract many who are not really with it when it comes to driving?

I can measure gravity, i can see it bend light, I can mathematically calculate it.

Are you seriously asking me to believe a scenario where whiskers cause a car to UA, cause the brakes to fail, defeat the ignition shut off, and then...and THEN...restore the car's original functions AND disappear itself?

You are a man of great faith, Steve, which is admirable.

I am an entirely agnostic, materialistic, cold-hearted skeptic.

Why does tin whiskers sound a lot like Bigfoot?

Or as fintail surmises, maybe a Big Foot is at the root of it all.

• busirisbusiris Posts: 3,490

@MrShift@Edmunds said: I can measure gravity, i can see it bend light, I can mathematically calculate it.

Are you seriously asking me to believe a scenario where whiskers cause a car to UA, cause the brakes to fail, defeat the ignition shut off, and then...and THEN...restore the car's original functions AND disappear itself?

You are a man of great faith, Steve, which is admirable.

I am an entirely agnostic, materialistic, cold-hearted skeptic.

Why does tin whiskers sound a lot like Bigfoot?

Or as fintail surmises, maybe a Big Foot is at the root of it all.

I'm gonna have to go with this analysis.

No scientific study accepts "facts" that can't be reproduced under the same conditions.

@Stever@Edmunds said: It's all in my link - ...

"Toyota redesigned its pedal sensor in 2007 and again in 2008, expressly to eliminate the risk of tin whiskers."

Sounds good, but can we accept that any modifications done to production vehicles are direct results of relieving potential problems?

I don't think so. TV sets ran for years just fine on vacuum tubes. They were replaced by more modern, less expensive and more reliable semi-conductors, which also significantly reduced the cost/price of TV sets.

That switch in no way implied vacuum tube TVs as being defective defective...At least, IMO.

Remember how you'd "fix" your TV by banging on the side of it?

Since tin whiskers are so fragile, banging on the dash may be the real fix. :p

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tin whiskers is not a new discovery. The problem has been around for quite a while. Used to be, they'd add lead in the process which greatly reduces tin whisker formation. But alas, lead has been virtually banned from most manufacturing processes.

Yeah, unintended consequences? May be worth putting some back in if they can't figure out how else to manage the problem.

edited April 22

@Stever said: Remember how you'd "fix" your TV by banging on the side of it?

We called that "fine tuning"... LOL.

A reporter would like to speak to someone who recently got into a car accident and was spared injury after the car's knee, hip, curtain and/or front airbags were deployed. If you believe a car's many airbags saved you from injury in a car accident, and you want to share your story, please send your daytime contact information to pr@edmunds.com no later than Friday, May 9, 2014 at 1 p.m. PT/4 p.m. ET.