Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volkswagen Passat 2005 and earlier

Welcome to the continuation of the VW Passat -
Part VII
topic. Those of you joining us from that
topic are welcome to continue your discussion.

If you're new to this topic, you may want to
follow the above link for additional archived
posts.

Thanks,

L8_Apex
Sedans Host

Comments

• I expect my local dealer in Tennessee to laugh at my offer tomorrow based on the collective wisdom I garnered from reading each of the 632 posts in Passat-Part VII. But I'll still make it all the same and we'll see. I'd be willing to drive a state or two away to purchase a GLX with 4M and Tiptronic for the kind of reasonable over invoice prices mentioned in many of the posts.

I bought (and likely overpaid) for an A6 4.2 several months ago at this local dealer but fully expect him to turn his nose up at the cash deal I'll offer tomorrow. Based on what I've read, $1000 over invoice should be plenty to get this deal done but he's asking for more than $3000 over invoice. $30000 plus tax should be more than enough to get this car, no??

I know how to walk away - but where to? Anybody know a dealer a little hungrier within a few hundred miles of east TN??

BTW, I love the Passat. Drives like the worthy younger sister to our A6. I feel great about the value but would be happier with a longer warranty.

Thanks!

Jim
  • srayersrayer Posts: 11
    I had recently posted a link to the 2001.5
    Passat Website a few weeks ago. At that
    time it was only available in German. It
    appears VW has released the site in English
    as well. Enjoy:

http://www.passat.com
  • This is my first post on anything. I am about to purchase a '98 Passat wagon, 4 cyl.,21K miles, $16,500 from a private owner. My one concern, after driving, is that the clutch engagement is very high relative to other standard shift vehicles that I drive. I am aware that it is a hydraulicly actuated clutch, and therefore not adjustable. My concern is making a determination as to whether this is normal or clutch is worn. I would appreciate any and all input relative to the clutch and the price. Thanks for any useful comments.
  • SporinSporin Posts: 1,066
    hmmm.. I've had mine for over a year so it's hard to say anything for sure. I recall needing some time to adjust to the clutch when I first got it, but a lot of that was getting used to revving the Turbo engine a bit higher then I was used to to get a smooth get-a-way.

I would say that it sounds pretty normal, but have your mechanic check it just to be sure.
  • ajeetajeet Posts: 11
    Hi,

I have narrowed down my car choice to 2001 VW Passat GLS V4 4-Dr Sedan with Tiptronic Auto Transmission and 4MOTION - Blue Anthracite/Black Velour. I do NOT want any other packages on the car. I am sticking to my price of $25,063 + $525 dest charge. Anyone recently bought this car around my estimated cost ? Please let me know !

Also, I am having LOT of difficulty in locating such a car. Most of the Passats come loaded with some package or the other !! A VW dealer told me that the current 2001 Passat's body-style is no longer in production and hence they cannot factory-order it for me!! A second body style is being added to the VW production line-up.

Is this true ? Are there any InterNet links that I might look up to find more on this ?

Thanks in advance !
    Ajeet.
  • V.W. is giving the Passat a facelift for 2001. Check out the article at http://www.vwvortex.com/
    This may explain your difficulty in locating the vehicle you want. I had to settle for purchasing a '99 Passat I found via a broker. Paid 21,500 for a 1.8T w/tip, luxury pkg., leather and 4K miles.

Good Luck!
  • gbobaygbobay Posts: 1
    I've been trying to find out if Passat is pre-wired for the CD Changer and have gotten conflicting views. I've searched in the trunk and without dismantling anything I can't find the cable. However I've gone to sights such as autotoys.com which indicates the car should be pre-wired. I've also called my service station which says it is not and the cable is $140.00.

Any clues?????

Thanks,

Gregg
  • dl7265dl7265 Posts: 1,381
    cool site, where can i get my v6 tdi 4 motion with 6 speed,. lol
  • I bought a 2001 GLS about a month ago and have noticed several rattles/buzzes in the cabin area. I am guessing they might be a typical VW thing other owners have experienced.

One of them is in the front right dash area....I think it is the gloovebox door, but I'm not sure. Any ideas?

The other rattle is somewhere in the rear of the cabin. I have no idea what is shaking over bumps. I have poked around and don't see anything that looks like it could make the noise. Are there many components for the sunroof up in the headliner that are likely to shake? Any suggestions?

What is the best way to get these identified and fixed by a dealer? Do dealers create more problems by ripping stuff up to look for loose stuff? Are rattles covered under warranty since it is not a mechanical defect, but just an annoyance?

Thanks
    I solved a persistant and annoying center "dash" rattle by removing about three dollars worth of pennies form my ash tray. :-)

At 31k miles, my Passat is still rattle free. I do get the odd groan on very cold mornings though.
  • CooperCooper Posts: 55
    I, too, get the odd groan on very cold mornings with my '97 Passat. My car stays outside, and I get that sound from the passanger-side interior of the car on the days that I carpool to work with my wife.

Aside from that, 107,000 trouble-free miles on my car, and 62,000 trouble-free miles on my wife's Passat.
  • I'm looking at buying a new Passat GLX 4 motion and I'm wondering if anyone can tell me the best deal posted for this car? Looks like the dealr makes way too much cash on this car and I've heard that most VW dealers are stingy!!!
    MSRP for the car I'm looking at is 30,900. Any help is greatly appreciated.
    TS
  • zup1zup1 Posts: 4
    I just went and test drove a 2001 GLX last night and the salesman made it a point to show me that the car was pre wired for a CD changer in the trunk. On the car he showed me it was behind a black flap on the left hand side of the trunk. The wires where right there along with a place to put the changer. Hope this helps.

Zup
  • zup1zup1 Posts: 4
    The best I have been able to do to date is 700 over invoice plus a 200 dealer fee. I managed to get this over the phone so i figure once I am there I will get 700 over invoice plus 50 for the dealer fee, this is my ideal price, it works out to just under 3% over invoice on a 2001 GLX with auto. Anyone car to comment on this deal, it sound OK to me, I prefer to pay no more than 500 over invoice, but thes car still seem to be selling very well and I love it.

ZUP
  • I noticed that this year, the Audi A4 has upped the output of their 1.8T from 150hp to 170hp, while the Passat remains at 150hp. Does anyone know how Audi accomplished this? Would it be possible to take a Passat 1.8T and easily upgrade it to make 170hp in the same fashion? Do you think Audi is sacrificing some reliability by upping the turbonium content? ;)

Thanks, -Chris
  • busanbusan Posts: 12
    2000 models. I was able to pick one up at $890 UNDER invoice price. It was a 2000 V6 GLS with 4Motion and Tiptronic. Everything else standard.

It's an option and it's one I jumped all over.

Best of luck to you
    Check out www.vwvortex.com and www.clubb5.com for more info then you would ever want to read on "chipping" the turbo Passat for more HP.
  • Just got my Silver / Grey 2001 GLX 4M for about $150 over invoice. There IS a 2% holdback for these cars as explained elsewhere in this site. Dealer made a little bit of money and I got a great car at a great price. Knowing about the holdback helps you counter the whining that the dealer isn't making any money. Being in a locality where there is competition between dealers really helps.
  • marsha7marsha7 Posts: 3,666
    am only more confused. The Passat-Plus. When does it come out, what engine/HP will it have, is the HP from a base engine or is it turbo'ed, where did you read about it, any photos, etc.

How will it compare in performance and cost to one of the A6 models (2.7T or 4.2)?

Is 4-motion in VW-speak the same as Quattro in Audi-speak?
  • Not sure about the Passat Plus, but Audi Quattro equals VW 4Motion. Same technology, same shift lever, etc.