Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Volkswagen Passat 2005 and earlier

Comments

• Options
    slummyjslummyj Member Posts: 57
    Just got a note from Consumer Automotive Consultants in St. Louis, Missouri. They are offering an extended warranty of 6 additional years or 100,000 miles. They do not give the cost, but only an 800 number to call. Anyone have any experience with them? I think they may be a phony company.

I personally like the antenna. It gives the car its own look. I just bought a '65 vehicle. I walked around it 3 or 4 times and then asked the seller where the antenna was located. He said that he never had it installed because he did not like the look of an antenna! I guess that could be the deciding factor if it really bothers you.
  • Options
    1691rl1691rl Member Posts: 2
    Hey! Thanks to both of you ... this makes my decision close to final. I hope the dealer has a 2002 on hand for a test drive later this week. Thanks again!
  • Options
    vwguildvwguild Member Posts: 1,620
    How cavalier of the Service Manager...those caps are supposed to come
    off, first thing, during the Pre-Delivery Inspection...I wonder what else they didn't do?

Quality control is the same at both plants...
  • Options
    clscflmclscflm Member Posts: 71
    Are 2002 models already available for test drives? And to follow up on an earlier thread, is the consensus that the model factory puts out better quality? Are more of the new models coming from there? Anxiously awaiting new prices and details on warrenty and add-ons.
  • Options
    pkraddpkradd Member Posts: 358
    The 2002 model is the same as the 2001.5 except for the following standard equipment additions: Trunk release handle inside the trunk (on all models); single CD/Cassette player standard. No word yet on the warranty but I doubt it will be changed. Expect prices to increase about $300-$500. When you're hot, you can do that! New models due end of June I hear.
  • Options
    Thanks pkradd for info. Just noticed that the spell check changed my question so part of it looks pretty dumb -- what I meant to ask was, are cars from the MOSEL, Germany plant better quality than the west German plant? I've read conflicting things here and at VWVortex. Anyone know or have an opinion?
  • Options
    mulfomimulfomi Member Posts: 56
    I know someone asked this before and someone answered there questions for the most part, but I was wondering if with the V6 in the GLS you get any other options with that? Given the price difference of $2,500, and with the increase in HP to 170, it almost seems silly to spend that much money for 20 HP and a slightly different feel. I do mostly city driving so I may go with the 1.8t. I havent test driven either car since the 1999 model year when I definately wanted the V6. I hope that the 1.8t drives like I want it to then I can spend some of the $2,500 on the wheels and rims option. That seems like a high price for that option as well. May go with the heated leather instead for the same price.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Also, if anyone has had any good/bad experience with the 2 dealers near Toledo, Ohio, I would love to hear about it.
  • Options
    peregoyperegoy Member Posts: 12
    Has anyone had to (or wanted to) replace their tires yet? I'd like some suggestions on brands/models that have given good performance in all conditions.
  • Options
    deerlake7deerlake7 Member Posts: 176
    Last week I replaced my lousy Continentals with a set of Toyo, Proxes H4's. In talking with two tire dealers that carried both Michelins (I was considering the MXV4 Plus) and Toyos, both dealers said without question they'd choose the Toyos. Both are suppose to have similar tread lives. As far as handling, quietness and traction, I was told the edge goes to Toyo. Also, both dealers said they had less returns on the Toyos. All this for about $120 less on a set of four. It will be interesting to see how I feel about these tires 30,000 miles from now. We'll have to wait and see. Finally, Toyo has a 500 mile, 45 day, 100% money back return policy if you don't like the tires, for any reason. So far, the Toyos have it all over the Continentals.
  • Options
    bmwagonmasterbmwagonmaster Member Posts: 150
    Check out Goodyear Aquatread 3. They're on my Passat (other car). Go to Tirerack.com and run a comparison with any other all-season tire (especially the OEM Michelins). Then check the price. Only caution is that I never run in deep snow, so can't vouch for that.
  • Options
    What kind of tires come on the Passat 1.8T (with luxury package) from the manufacturer?
  • Options
    telainetelaine Member Posts: 29
    I purchased a 2001.5 Passat GLX auto 1 month ago. Last night as I was driving home from work, I heard a thud and then several indicator lights came on: MIL, ABS, anti-slip regulation and break indicator lights came on. Acceleration was not it's usual self. AThey beeped and flashed and drove it to the dealership. Since it was shortly before closing time, I didn't hear what the problem was. I hope today they will have the problem rectified. I'm very disturbed by this because I've had the car 1 month (almost to the day). I'm hoping this is an isolated incident and not the precursor of more problems to occur. Prior to last night's problem, I was completely satisfied and enjoying my Passat. Anyone know what could be occuring? Advice is completely appreciated. Thanks!
  • Options
    kimmers71kimmers71 Member Posts: 55
    They come with Michelin's. Without Lux, you get Continental.
  • Options
    I have a new 2001.5 GLS with Luxury package. The tires are Continental. (Car assembled at Mosel).
  • Options
    SporinSporin Member Posts: 1,066
    VW uses a few different tire manufactureers. Mich and Conti being the 2 biggest. It's random, as there doesn't seem to be a pattern.

I test drove 2 identical cars... one had Contis, one had Mich's. I chose the one with Mich's becasue I had "heard" they were "better." They were a decent all season tire IMO and lasted 35k miles. I replaced them with new stock Contis on Adelaides ($400, great deal). I'm happy with them, they seem quieter then the Mich's but grip is about the same.
  • Options
    oldprofessoroldprofessor Member Posts: 45
    If you're considering the Passat V6, spring for the additional bucks and get the GLX rather than the GLS. My '99 GLX has features you can't even get on the GLS, no matter how much you option it up. In my opinion, the GLX is an incredible bargain if you want "near-luxury" with more bells and whistles than you can even get on a Japanese car. When I "created" my own Audi A4 with what I have on the GLX, the price was about $6,000 higher than the VW. And the VW is larger and has more pep than the A4.
  • Options
    mulfomimulfomi Member Posts: 56
    Thanks for the input. Unfortunately, my budget limits me. If I go with the V6 in the GLS, I dont see myself getting any other options. If I go with the 1.8t, I can get the luxury option or the leather option. Havent decided on which yet. I called a dealer today to see if I could just get the rims from the lux package and skip the sunroof. They told me no. Then they said I could but I would have to special order the rims and it would cost almost as much as in the lux package. I really like the looks of the car with the rims but Im not a sunroof fan and I hear that some people have had squeek/rattle problems with them. Love to have the leather but I have 2 kids in car seats and I would hate to put the car seats in with the leather. Decisions, decisions.

I am off to the dealer tomorrow to talk and see what they can do. Plan on offering $500 over invoice to start and go from there.
  • Options
    The thud that you heard...was it internal, or did you hit something?
  • Options
    ndrummndrumm Member Posts: 2
    I am trying to convince a friend who has a ten-year old Passat to buy a new one. She is very hesitant because she has replaced the motor mounts three times and her mechanic told her that this has been an ongoing problem with Passat. Is any one familiar with this problem and has there been any new engineering or design to fix this problem?
  • Options
    car_nut1car_nut1 Member Posts: 66
    Ride is great with the caps off the shocks. Why were they put there in the first place? I think the car is terrific; better than C-class MB. MB interior materials not up to the quality of the Passat. Also, a friend told me the cd-changer for MB is over $1000! Passat changer was only $300. Though I have less than 500 miles I haven't noticed any of the problems others have mentioned; lag w/auto trans., rattles, etc. Only oddity, seems like the wheel needs alot of help back to center after a turn. I've had cars w/r&p steering before but they seemed to return to center almost on their own. I hope this isn't a problem, just an eccentricity!
  • Options
    They are just there for shipping stability...as to the steering wheel centering...
    you are a much more observant driver than I...here in California the Last thing
    that I am looking at is where the steering wheel centers to or when...more moving
    road hazards than you can imagine...

And, by the way, that CD now has to be put in my my Techs ONLY...another $27.50
    for the install, and HardCost is now $366.00 including nuts, bolts, and screws from
    my Parts Dept. That works out to $393.50 and no *Sales Dept.* profit...VW.COM is still
    saying $350 retail....All retailers charge a 100% Mark-up...cost $300, retail $600.
    No wonder MBZ charges a grand!
  • Options
    cmr385sscmr385ss Member Posts: 2
    I want to let everybody know about a great place to buy a new 2001.5 WV Passat (or any car, for that matter) if you are in the tri-state area (NY,NJ,CN). I was very pleased with my transaction.

The place is called CarsBuyTel. The web site address is http://www.carsbuytel.com

You can input what you are looking to buy on their web site and they will come back with a price right away. The price is definitely lower than any quote that I received from any dealer in the tri-state area and, believe me, I haggled around with many dealers. The base price they gave (including all fees) was 19,990. I bought a 2001.5 Pine Green/Beige interior Passat with automatic/luxury pkg/monsoon for $22,719 (destination not included).

Since they sell many types of new vehicles, they are not a specific VW dealer, but in my estimation it doesn't make a single bit of difference and your wallet will be fatter at the end of the day. You still get the same VW warranty, etc., that you would get if you bought at a VW dealer. Also, much of the BS is cut out because the guy I dealt with and I both knew I was getting a fair price before we even spoke to each other for the first time. The only thing I had to make sure was that he could deliver the exact vehicle that I wanted, which he did in roughly a week or so.

They are located in Long Island City, Queens, NY. The guy I dealt with is named Roy. His e-mail is roy@carsbuytel.com

Do yourselves a favor and check out the website. I'm sure glad I found it.
  • Options
    jffitzjffitz Member Posts: 3
    I am the owner of a '00 Passat GLX 6 cylinder. About two weeks ago, I notice an odor that I assumed was some food left behind by my kids. The next day, the inside of the windows was completely covered in condensation. I finally (after two mornings and afternoons of condensation) realized that there was water in the driver side rear footwell. Assuming that I had left a window or the sunroof open, I simply vacuumed it out and aired out the car. Last night, it rained hard. The car was sitting in my driveway, all windows up, sunroof closed. I came out to 1 plus inch of water in the rear driver side footwell. No evidence of wear it came in. The only thing I can think is that it is coming through the air vents under the driver seat. Does anyone have any similar experiences or any advice??
  • Options
    I would suggest that you take it to your Dealer on Monday!!!
  • Options
    cliffybcliffyb Member Posts: 114
    There is no correlation between the luxury package and which tires it comes with. I have the luxury package on my GLS and it came with continental tires. Some came with michelins. Personally I would have rather had the Michelins but oh well.
  • Options
    There is a simple reason that every shop in the western hemisphere would recommend the Toyo's over the Michelin's...they have more profit built into them. Even with the $120 price difference the Toyo's are more attractive to a tire store because they cost sooooo much less from the manufacturer.
  • Options
    jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    Yeah, the last time I had Toyos on a car was the last time I ever intend to do so. I buy Michelins first, then Dunlop or Yokohamas. Too much experience in this area, all of it expensive...no maker of radial tires is perfect [still too much handwork in the process], but you stand a better chance with Michelin than anyone else of getting tires that are round and straight. On front drive cars, though, good wear is dependent on regular rotations that are considerably shorter than what is recommended in the book - I never go longer than 3500 miles, and usually less, but then I do it myself in the garage in less than 30 min. using cheap floor jacks from W-Mart. Our last set of OEM Mich MXV4s went just short of 70k miles.
  • Options
    I had only seen one GLS w/o lux that had Conti's and since mine had Michelin's, I just assumed that's the way the came. Oh well, that's what I get for assuming! :)

On a different note, I've had my car for 5 weeks now and LOVE IT!! The only complaint I have is the rattle/settling noise above my head by the visor and sunroof. Damn, it's annoying! And gas mileage is GREAT! I got 27.7 with probably 60/40 city/hwy driving.
  • Options
    I have had that rattle since day one. I was thinking I would get them to fix it when I get the 5k service, but I am more afraid the dealer will screw up the interior than fix it. So much for dealer confidence!
  • Options
    Same here! I don't want those guys ripping the interior roof down. I figure if the people who do this day in and day out can't get it fit snug (maybe not because of them but poor material or fit or whatever the reason), the mechanics sure as heck won't get it right!

I'll live with it. I survived (barely) all the rattles on my Grand Am for 4 1/2 years, I think I can handle this one little rattle. At least it doesn't do it all the time!
  • Options
    I have a GLS with sunroof and there are currently no rattles or other problems. I have 1400 miles on the 2001.5 Passat. There's been two heavy rainstorms and no leaks. It seems to me that this may be a dealer prep problem (or lack of same). When I picked out my car I drove it from the storage lot a few blocks away to the dealer service area (the salesman followed me in another Passat). It took 2 hours before I got the car. They really worked it over.
  • Options
    It's really not a rattle. It sounds more like a creaking noise, kind of like a house settling. I hear it more when it's colder outside also. It's only June and we've only hit 70 three times in Wisconsin. ARGGH! I want to move south! Damn that husband's job!
  • Options
    Thanks for remembering me. I didn't hit anything - internal noise. Yesterday when I was driving the highway it happened again. This time I had a witness. There was a thud, then the car lurched forward. Woke my passenger up from a nap it was so sudden. After the thud and lurch forward, the gear selector lights all illuminate. Tiptronic doesn't work. Once you stop and then try to accelerate, it seems like the car isn't in gear. My passenger commented that he thinks its transmission or drive train. He says it seems like transmission could be slipping. So this morning, I dropped the car off at the dealer again and tried to be more specific as to the nature of the problem. I told them to drive it on the highway. Any recommendations for next steps? I'm documenting all of these occurences. Thanks!
  • Options
    Let's see what the Service folks tell us first...
  • Options
    brekkebrekke Member Posts: 304
    I checked out carsbuytel.com and the price seemed too good to be true. The price they quote does not include destination charge and MV fees, correct? If so, I still would have saved $300 on my factory order (not a Passat, BTW)

Well, good to know for the future.
  • Options
    carguy5000carguy5000 Member Posts: 146
    Do you use your defrost or air conditioner frequently? The drain for the system is located in the engine compartment and looks like a hose that is just sticking down, facing the road. Sometimes a bug (or spyder)sees this as an excellent place to set up shop, clogging the drain. As a result, the condensed water has no place to go other than through the a/c vents in the car, usually through the vents in the passenger footwell or through the vents underneath the drivers seat.
    Had the same problem with one of my Toyota Camrys, a buddy told me what I just wrote and I thought he was full of what the use to build GM cars. I blew the line out with the air compressor and about 1 gallon of water came out! Moisture problem solved!
    Good Luck!
  • Options
    Here's the diagnosis of the thud & lurch. It's the alternator. Service guy says the alternator is defective. They have to replace it. I will be without my passat for a few more days while it's being serviced. I hope that's the last of the service problems for a while.
  • Options
    Certainly a strange diagnosis...I have never heard of an alternator making any noise...
    whether it is good or bad. Typically, a bad alternator simply stops recharging the
    battery causing it to weaken & go dead and the primary symptom, of course, is an alternator
    light or weak battery light, and finally difficulty or the inability to start the car...

Keep me posted...
  • Options
    pgsanthpgsanth Member Posts: 2
    In summary, I have had a great experience with this wonderfully engineered car. Had to choose between a maxima (another friend bought this), an accord and the passat; don't regret it one bit.

Pros:
    Quiet (and quiet after 1 year)(but see con#3)0
    Great engine with enough zest
    Decent mileage for a v6
    5-speed where shifting is butter!
    Spacious and comfortable interiors
    Very comfortable ride (but see con #2)

Cons:
    One issue was that the trim on the back door peeled at the end and was twisted open because it would get caught in the front door when opened. Fixed by the dealer, but had to call ahead and make sure they had a replacement in store (vw makes them neutral and they need painting)

The suspension is real soft. Banking and rolling is a little bothersome on days when you feel a little like schumacher

There is a faint rattle from behind the rear right seat. (traced it to the computer they have there). I notice it only because the car is so quiet! i am sure its fixable, haven't done it yet.

If you are thinking about this car: go for it.
  • Options
    I've also heard from a friend that thinks the alternator is a strange source of the problem. I will certainly keep you abreast of the developments with the car.
  • Options
    jace1jace1 Member Posts: 23
    I have a 99 1.8T 5 speed that developed an intermittent screeching sound when letting out the clutch in first gear only. The duration of the sound was about 1-2 seconds and it was very loud. It occurred mostly under heavy loads on the drivetrain like starting up a hill. It took a while to replicate it with the dealer service manager in the car. He contacted VW who said they had heard of this on Jettas but not the B5 Passat. Anyway the diagnosis was a faulty throwout bearing which was replaced and has so far sloved the problem. The tech who did the job said the new part appeared "different" and the old one looked "suspect". I don't drive hard and the problem first appeared at 12,000 miles. The dealer has since done another one of these so if anyone has this symptom the throwout bearing may be the culprit. BTW my original dealer heard the noise and said it was "glazing" on the clutch and not to worry about it.

Jace
  • Options
    highrise_condohighrise_condo Member Posts: 16
    I bought a 2001.5 GLX in March. Mechanically it's flawless. However radio reception is so poor that it cannot keep a clear station for more than a few seconds even though I live in a major city with plenty of strong signals. Most of the time it's useless to even turn it on. I've taken it to multiple dealerships a dozen times and they're all unable to resolve the problem. I called VW of America to get help and was assured that my satisfaction was very important and that they would continue to work on the issue. I followed-up that call two weeks later and was literally told "You should have tested the radio before you bought the car. It's a problem between you and the dealer. We're not going to do anything." I'm furious that VWoA has a "You bought the car, it's your problem now" attitude.

Is it too much to expect decent radio reception? I think not. The fact that I prefer to listen to the radio and cannot has really soured me on the car. After TT&L, in-dash CD, splash guards and Masterguard warranty, I paid nearly 32K in cash for this car and I feel like I didn't get what I paid for.
  • Options
    Part of the dealer prep is to test all components including the radio, locks, lights etc. and not just to remove the plastic wrap and wash the car. Many times dealers fail to even properly inflate the tires! VWoA is wrong. I would suggest you go to a local tv station, write to your local better business bureau and even take the dealer to small claims court to replace the entire radio and antenna system. Don't let them get away with this. Also, speak to another person at VW, not the one who called you and told you it was basically your fault. Sometimes people at this level are lazy and don't always follow through properly. Believe me this happened with problems I had with Toyota on a leased car. I now own a 2001.5 GLS Passat with auto and lux package and couldn't be happier. Sorry for your troubles but keep plugging away.
  • Options
    raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    Why haven't they just replaced the radio?
  • Options
    rnt2000rnt2000 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking to buy a Passat and have the following questions:

1. How much does it cost to buy an extended warranty from WV to extend their basic warranty from 24 to 36 months?
    2. Where can I view a copy of a WV Credit Lease?
    Lease source use to have examples of leases, but this part of their site wasn't operating recently.
    3. What kind of tires are typically found on a Passat? Are they standard all weather radials or more of soft performance type tire?

Look forward to your replies.

Thanks.
    rmt2000
  • Options
    jace1jace1 Member Posts: 23
    Tires may be Michelein MXV4 Energy Plus or Continental, I think Touring Contacts. Both tires are H rated meaning up to 130MPH and in the performance touring catagory. Both are all season and not especially performance oriented but are overall capable performers. Most Passat owners prefer the Michs and you could ask the dealer to swap if the car you want has the Contis and they have one with the Michs, and wheel swapping is not an issue.

BTW I run dedicated snow tires in the winter, Nokia NRW's, an H rated winter tire and an excellent performer.
  • Options
    pjcragepjcrage Member Posts: 15
    I own a 99 Passat GLX and have been generally happy with the vehicle thus far. Nevertheless, remember that you are buying a Volkswagen and although this car is luxurious in its own way, expect less than luxurious service from VW dealers. I had two warranty claims and had to beg, then argue to get them fixed after months of hassle. I loathe the idea of bringing it in for service of any kind. I considered the Infinity I30 and Lexus ES300 but opted to save a few dollars without giving up a lot of vehicle. But in retrospect I paid for what I got. My friends that own Infinitys and Lexus' enjoy the service calls (as much as you can) and, admittedly, pay for it. But if you are busy and want to be treated like a customer should be for having spent $30K plus the cost of ongoing service, stay away from VW.
  • Options
    I completely agree with you, it is not too much to ask to have a decent radio in the car. I know how much I rely on listening to the radio for traffic info, as well as general entertainment. I've read about poor radio reception with VW before - I'm sure on Edmunds (my favorite auto site). I would send a written letter to VWofA and the dealership where you bought the car documenting the complaint, the times you've tried to resolve it and what you want in return - another radio or servicing until it is fixed. It can't hurt to do this. You may also want to schedule an appointment with the General Manager of the VW dealer. Please continue to post, because I'd like to hear what happens. On a positive note, I'm glad the mechanics are working. I can't say the same.
  • Options
    malik71829malik71829 Member Posts: 14
    1.i paid 546.00 with 50.00 deductible for my extended warranty directly through volkswagen. they wanted 850.00 for it but managed to negotiate it down.

2. go to a dealership, they'll probably let you look at it.

3. mine came with the conti's. no complaints.
  • Options
    oldprofessoroldprofessor Member Posts: 45
    Like pjcrage, I own a 1999 Passat GLX, and I too have had warranty work done. However, the dealer I've used, East-Holman VW, Jaguar, Audi in Jackson, Miss., has been fantastic, and I didn't even buy the car there. I always get a loaner, the work is always done when they say it will be done, and they give back the car cleaned inside and out. And there's been no charge, of course, as it's been warranty work. Anyway, in this chorus of negative remarks about VW dealers and service, I just wanted to put in a plug for a "good guy." I should note that although I didn't buy my VW there, I did buy an Audi A6 from them, so maybe that's why they've been so accommodating. In the one year that I had it, the Audi gave me lots more trouble than my Passat, and I recently traded it on an Acura 3.2 TL Type S.