Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volkswagen Passat 2005 and earlier

Comments

• fish8fish8 Posts: 2,282
    I am supposed to pick up my new Passat tomorrow. When I was test driving I heard a slight/occasional rattle coming from the dash area. I expressed my concern that with only 10 miles on the car I could already hear this noise. The sales guy said he would take the car out with a Tech. I just received a call and I was told that they did hear a slight rattle, but with the air or radio on they could not detect it. They are going drive another Passat to see if it is a Passat "trait". I just got the call and they said the 2nd Passat was slightly worse.

I said I would come in in the morning and would like to drive the car before any paperwork is done. They said that would not be a problem and if I wanted another car they would accomodate that request.

What do you all think? Opinions?
  • mbros2kmbros2k Posts: 71
    I hate car rattles. They can drive you crazy if you let them. But...all cars develop rattles. Passats get them in the dash and doors right away. I have had success stuffing black socks between the windshield and dash, wedging foam in door seams, and tying down loose wires behind the dash by going through the cover where the fuses are located on the driver's side. My first choice wouldn't be to have some tech pull the dash out--It's a jungle in there... I would buy a Rolls Royce if I thought it wouldn't have rattles. Good luck. Maybe you should just drive another car and select one without the rattle... Or better yet, turn up the Monsoon.
  • ian18ian18 Posts: 133
    With 15,000 miles on my Passat, there are no rattles or squeaks. Annoying rattles can drive you nuts over time, I have had a couple of cars that had them. I would not spend my good money on a car that had rattles when brand new.
  • birdboy1birdboy1 Posts: 39
    It was so comforting to finally read some postings concerning rattles. Fish 8 , thank you. I have a 2002 Passat 1.8 that I love to drive as everyone agrees. I had my headlights replaced, coils blow, and monsoon blew out speakers as well as rear brakes replaced at 30,000.
    The one thing that I can not fix totally is that annoying rattle in the corner of the drivers dash where it meets the glass. It seems to be worst in cold weather and when Idling. I brought it to two dealers both of which made me feel as if I was asking too much for this " little vibration" to be taken care of. One dealer said he could not do anything and the other needed a fully day to take the dashboard apart to find it. I was afraid to let them do that , for the obvious . I have been 90% successful in getting rid of it by wedging clear 1"tubing between the dash and the window.
    I have tried all sorts of things and this seemed to work but I do like the black sock idea, However should any of us need to go through this?
    I was also advised not to use any hard objects as they can be launched at you if put near the side impact bag.
    I picked up my New Passat Sat and I really love it. There is a slight rattle in the dash, but if the radio is on the noise is not detectable. As I stated in my previous post, the deaker drove another Passat and it had the same noise. Maybe this is just a feature of this car. Other than this noise, this is the nicest and best built car I have ever owned. I only have about 50 miles on it so updates will soon follow.
  • alyssazmomalyssazmom Posts: 142
    Help! My passat's leather stinks! The smell doesn't bother DH but it makes my stomach turn. I thought it was just pregnancy hormones (3 months pregnant with I bought the car) and we loaned the Passat out to my in-laws for several months (we bought me a 1999 Sienna XLE minivan that I LOVE). Well, the in-laws are moving out of the country this fall so we're selling the Sienna and I'm back into the Passat!

Normally this would be fine (even though I'll be hanging off of the rear bumper as my Sienna gets driven away with it's new owners) but I can not get over how badly the leather smells... or maybe its the interior off gassing?

Either way, has anyone else experience this? Any solutions? DH wants me to contact VW to see if they have had any complaints.

I drove the Passat 3 weeks ago for the first time since January and it still smells....

Thanks,

Carrie ~2003 VW Passat GLS Candy White, tan interior
    Smells like what? Leather? I've never met anyone who didn't like the smell of leather.
  • altair4altair4 Posts: 1,469
    We've got the leather in our 2003. I can't say that I really even notice the smell of it anymore (although I frequently condition it). Sorry that I can't help.

PS: Are you sure it's the leather? Can you describe the smell? If it's a moldy smell, could be from the air conditioner (Einszett sells a product to clean the system). Or it could be water in the carpeting. I suggest that you feel the carpet on the passenger side, front and rear, to see if it's wet.
    I'm just assuming its the leather but it could be the dashboard materials or something else within the car. It's not a moldy smell but an off gassing chemical smell. My in-laws haven't said a word about it and they've been driving it for months now. Its worse when its been in direct sunlight.

My husband suggested getting the leather interior treated thinking that would mask the smell. I have a very sensitive nose, even cigerette smoke bothers me, not in an allergic way but just the smell of it.

Thanks!

Carrie
    How new is your Passat? All new cars have a certain "new car smell" that most people long to keep. I just picked up my new Passat Saturday and there definately is a certain new car smell. I love the smell though. The smell comes from a concotion of new materials, glues and chemicals that make up an automobile's interior. There really is no way to rid the carof the smell, except to just drive it and eventually most cars will rid itself.

If someone could package and sell that "new car smell" they would make a fortune. Maybe you should of bought a used vehicle that had lost it's scent.
  • tobygtobyg Posts: 1
    Has anyone done the 48 month Driver Option plan? I'm skeptical, can anyone tell me their experience with this plan? Pros and cons? Potential new VW owner here. Thanks.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    There's a lot of interest in diesel vehicles these days and the Passat TDI has hit the streets. We have a VW Passat TDI discussion that provides a dedicated place to discuss the TDI apart from the gas-engine Passats.

Check it out ... owning a TDI is not a requirement for admission, interest in the subject will get you in the door. ;)
    The car is a 2003, purchased in May 2003...

It's not new car smell as that doesn't bother me in the least. When we get the Passat back in 8 weeks I'm going to take it to a detail shop and see if they can do anything...or to VW...and let it sit in my garage with the windows down.

It'll be so strange to go from Sienna to Passat!

Thanks again,

Carrie
  • bjbird2bjbird2 Posts: 647
    Passat is a driver's vehicle. Sienna is a Mom-mobile.
    Just my opinion, maybe not politically correct.
    You are right, the Passat is a driver's vehicle and the Sienna is a Mom-mobile and that is what they are intended to be. My Sienna has been perfect for the two kids and myself and that is exactly how it should be.

My cousin bought a Passat wagon 4 months ago and loves it! She has just one toddler so space isn't *too* much of an issue for her. But she just loves her Passat wagon!

My Passat sedan was a blast to drive, a lot of fun and my father-in-law has loved driving it. I'm sure I'll get comfortable quickly in my Passat again, minus the freakin' smell!

Carrie
    Can someone please confirm this is correct......What is the proper tire pressure for a Passat with 15" tires. My door jam says front-35psi and rear-44psi. 44psi sounds really high. When I checked my tires after taking delivery Sat, all tires were at 30 psi. Obviously, someone forgot to check the pressure.
  • altair4altair4 Posts: 1,469
    I'm going to guess that you have an '04 model. Prior to '04 (I have an '03 wagon, 1.8T, Tip, GLS with OEM 195/65-15 Michelin MXV4 tires on the OEM "Wellington" alloy wheels), the pressures read considerably lower and were posted on the gas flap.

Mine reads:

<100 mph: 28 F / 28 R at half load; 30 F / 39 R Full Load

>100 mph: 30 F / 28 R at half load; 33 F / 42 R Full Load.

I've read (but haven't independently confirmed) that the Federal Gov't changed the regulations and now requires auto manufacturers to post only one tire pressure (the highest one, I guess) in the face of the Ford Explorer/Firestone fiasco.

So, what at what pressure do I keep my tires?? 32 or 33 PSI all around! But I never get to go over 100 mph, either!
    Thanks for the feedback!!

That's interesting! Yes, I do have a 2004.5 with Continental Tires. The same size as yours: 195/65-15. I looked on the gas door, but my tire info is on the drivers door jam. It clearly states 35psi for front tires and 44psi for rears. 44psi sounds like the MAX psi for the tires. If the new regulations you state are correct, then VW policy needs updating.
    Is is necessary to idle after driving the 1.8t engine to allow the turbo to cool?
  • brozhnikbrozhnik Posts: 172
    My 03 Passat GL 1.8T is at 14,000 miles now, and I'm starting to hear this very subtle "noise" that I've never noticed before. Is it a problem, and if so, what? I'll try to describe it.

It happens only in one situation: (a) the car has been parked and turned off for a while, (b) Okay, I start, pull out of the parking spot, come to a full stop, and put it into Drive. (c)I give it some gas and it starts moving forward. It's then that I hear the noise. I don't know whether to call it a "crunch" sort of noise or what, but it's not loud at all- very subtle and brief. Sometimes I've wondered if I drove over a small bump or something. I think once I felt some slight kick in the gas pedal, but I haven't been able to re-produce that.
    So that's all. It doesn't happen any time later in the drive, even after I've been stopped at a stoplight. It doesn't even happen if I put it in park and then start driving again (without turning off the engine). Only after it's been parked and turned off for a while.

So, experts: any ideas what this is? How significant is it? What should be done?
    Thanks!
    B