Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volkswagen Passat 2005 and earlier

Comments

• walkjc -- you mention that you are about to take your '99 passat in for warranty work. Did you buy your car with an extended warranty?

The warranty on my 2000 passat wagon with V6 engine was only 2 years and expired 3 years ago. (that's why I am a bit curious how you manage to have warranty service after 6 years or so). The car only has 25,000 miles on it, and it already leaks oil from both cam seals. The cam seal oil leakage appears to be a common manufacturing defect on passats, however, since my warranty has expired, am I out of luck?
  • I am the original owner of that passat!

I have accept to loose 12,000$ for 10 months.

I traded the car for a subaru legacy.
    That was not my first choice. But it is much more pleasant to drive than a van.

I lost a few pound of torque but got a much more reliable car with no engine vibration. With toyo H type tires I got a ride simminlar to german car at the Japanese price and reliability.

I have run it for 13 month now, I am quite please !

I came to conclusion german car are a bit more pleasent to drive but way to much expensise and not too reliable.

Japanese are hard to beat for the price!

I had 2 VW beetles, a VW sirroco 2 toyotar, and 2 passsats 1999, 2004)

My family had Mercedes SL, Honda accord, Toyota, Lexus LS 400, BMW 740, Lexus 330

I do not see in the near future, how I coud get anything else that Japenese,

Likely an Acura or Honda wagen (as soon they produce one) !
  • dkoopdkoop Posts: 26
    Help!

My 05 Passat TDI with less than 15k miles just popped up a check engine light and the message "Emmissions Workshop". Anybody out there seen this on a TDI, any ideas. I've just installed a K&N air filter two days ago and have been running 10 oz. per tank of Performance Service Cetane Boost for about 6 months. :confuse:
    Correction, the additive I've been using is Power Service. :blush:
  • cosmocosmo Posts: 203
    This past summer the "EMISSIONS WORKSHOP" light came on intermittently on my '04 TDI. The dealer's service department diagnosed it as the electric motor for the air intake flap going bad. The service manager told me it had become a common problem. They replaced the motor, and I've had no problem since. The malfunction did not seem to affect the performance, economy, starting, or shut down in any way.
    Thanks, I've been adding the Power Service to try to head off any emission system issues resulting from the poor diesel quality we get here in the states. I wonder if any other TDI owners are doing the same. If you tak a peek at what the Libery Diesel owners are doing, you see alot of experimentation with various fuel additives.
  • cosmocosmo Posts: 203
    I just switched to Stanadyne Performance Formula. The main reason I switched was to avoid having to go into Walmart again to buy a large bottle of Power Service. (Twice in 18 months already!) The second reason was because VW approves the Stanadyne brand. I used Power Service since I first filled my tank. However, I did not carry any with me on a trip to CA because I didn't want a flammable liquid in the car, so I filled up 3 times without an additive during the trip. I definitely noticed dark smoke during acceleration without the additive. With an additive, I get only light exhaust smoke during hard acceleration. Whether or not an additive helps performance or economy, I have to trust the word of those who claim to have run tests.
  • I have purchased a new fuel filter for my '92 Passat and I have looked everywhere on the car and cannot find the @#$%^&* thing. Where is it? This is my first VW and am told that they tend to be different when it comes to certain things but this should be straight forward. Can someone tell me what to do, I am desperate. Thanks.
  • altair4altair4 Posts: 1,469
    Don't know specifically for your year, but VW has a tendency to place the fuel filter under the car, near the right rear wheel. At least that's been true on the three Dubs I've owned since the mid-1970's.
  • reidkreidk Posts: 46
    vitalyk:

In case you haven't otherwise received an answer to your question:
    "walkjc -- you mention that you are about to take your '99 passat in for warranty work. Did you buy your car with an extended warranty?"

99 Passat's came with a 10-year 100,000 mile Powertrain warranty. Have read varying reports on whether or not VW Honors the warranty, but at least in some cases they have.

Reid / SE MI
    '99 V6 5spd; 75,000+
  • I have an 2004 Passat and the heating/cooling system fan almost always runs. If the heater is on and then I shut the system off the system still blows warm air. Same happens for cool air. Sometimes the system does shut off - but I have not noticed the pattern. Service Writer at dealer said it is working as designed. Called VW 800# and they said to call another dealer...

Is anyone else having this problem?
  • drvwdrvw Posts: 3
    Hello,
    My Check Engine light, EPC light and ASR light are illuminated and I have been reading up on pulling the codes myself instead of paying a mechanic to do it. I have a 2001 VW Jetta VR6. I was looking at this tester on eBay, but I'm not sure if it's the right one I need. Can someone please read the desciption and offer any advice on whether or not it is what I need. Please note that I want to fix the problem(s), not just turn off the light. Here is the link to the sale:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VW-Audi-OBD2-OBDII-OBD-2-II-Trouble-Code-Reader-Scanner_W0Q- QcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ43989QQitemZ4593893168QQrdZ1

Thanks a lot in advance!
    Hi Cosmo,

Where's the best place to find Stanadyne? I'd like to experiment a little. 10 oz of Power Service has given me about 2 more mpg. Upping the tire pressure to 45 psi gave another 1 to 1.5 mpg. The wife can get around 38mpg on the highway at 70-75 mph. BTW, it was a glow plug failure that tripped the check engine and emmissions workshop - it gets replaced tomorrow. I thought that was odd since I doubt the glow plugs even warm up here in florida.

Dennis
    I'm pretty sure that I read somewhere that all cars sold in the US after a certain year are required to follow a universal code reader protocol. Maybe there's a VW mechanic out there that can confirm this.
  • Why would you want to switch engine oils? My '02 Passat GLS 1.8T Tiptronic has 98K mi on it and doesn't consume ( leak/burn ) any oil. I change the oil every 5K mi. If you have a 01.5 Passat or later you should be using the oil prescribed by VW - for me that is Mobil 1 0W-40. Other VWs ( transverse instead of inline ) do not require an anti-sludge oil. I have been using some variety of Mobil 1 since '85. NO PROBLEMS. If you own a later model Passat you should also be using the larger oil filter as prescribed by VW. This is to eliminate the sludge problem they had with "lesser" oils and the original "baby-sized" filter. None of this will do you any good if you do not check the oil level regularly. There is a bulletin on this - it was sent to me by VW. That guy who was surprised to find no oil on the dipstick 3K mi after changing the oil is ridiculous. He deserves whatever happens to him. Just don't blame it on the car. If you cannot find the 0W-40 in stores, you most certainly should be able to get quarts of it at the dealer. They MUST have it to comply with VWs' efforts to eliminate sludge. If they don't use Mobil 1, they should be using an oil that complies with spec 502.00 required by VW. If they don't - run away fast, and don't return ever. If they cannot get the oil right, I wouldn't trust them for anything except taking my money and running. NO EXCUSES! PERIOD!
  • bjbird2bjbird2 Posts: 647
    My VW dealer still insists that the semi-synthetic oil they use meets VW specs. I will not use their oil, I continue to use Mobil 1 0W-40 every 5000 miles in my 2002 1.8T.
  • I am having this same problem. Did you get a response?
  • krzysskrzyss Posts: 843
    Is it listed as approved oil?

Krzys
  • altair4altair4 Posts: 1,469
    What brand and viscosity is this semi-synth oil that the dealer is touting? I'd want to see a label or product sheet (from the manufacturer) before I had that poured in my engine. Good on ya for sticking with an officially approved oil!