Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Passat 2005 and earlier

Comments

• vbi4vbi4 Member Posts: 29
    Corey,

Check this link.

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2002/volkswagen/passat/gls18t4drsedan18l4cylturbo5a/prices.html

(You can use the "Price with options" button to add the above options you mention). Edmunds TMV turns out to be 24206 for a sticker of 25705. Most dealers would accpet TMV.. you may be able to do better than TMV with some patience, effort and luck.

There are many links to useful information on the Edmunds home page... I would recommend making a start there. Do read about Edmunds TMV.

As for the VW credit.. it is 0.9% for 24 months only. For longer repayment periods, the rate goes up to 4.9% for 60 months. If I remember right, it is 0.9/2.9/3.9/4.9 for 24/36/48/60 months.

• clueless23clueless23 Member Posts: 1
    My husband and I picked up our new 2002 Passat GLS 1.8 Indigo Blue/grey interior,, tip, lux, mon, cold, and homelink 9 days ago from a great internet sales manager, Cliff Womiche, at Northtowne VW in Kansas City! We wanted to pay Edmunds TMV and the dealership accepted! Needless to say, the buying process was a pleasant one! If any of you are in the Kansas City area and are looking to buy a VW, new or used, give Cliff a call. You'll be happy, like we are, you did!

Jake101 (Corey): Secure financing elsewhere-it'll make you life a little easier. Then see if VW can do better. I've heard of th 4.9% but not the .9%...
  • vwguildvwguild Member Posts: 1,620
    The actual number has been reduced dramatically to about 2000 units...What is on the ground is it...nothing in the Pipeline...

Orders are being accepted for 2003s...Production
    to begin week #23...

You better get down for a drive soon...;)
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    Deal with the internet sales manager. Get the dealer's email address and deal with that person through the net about the car you want. Tell him/her you saw it, and all. I would do that if I were you.

To get the .9, you have to have Tier A credit. No late payments, no bankruptcy EVER, and all that good stuff.
  • bartrbartr Member Posts: 5
    ...I picked up my 2002 Passat GLS 1.8t / Auto / Silverstone Gray / Black Leather / Luxury Pkg /
    Monsoon / and Homelink.

After lurking and posting questions for the past 6 or 7 months I was finally able to get the car. I was waiting for a lease to run out, and this weekend was it.

A big thanks to VWguild, Edmunds, VWVortex, and ClubB5 for preparing with all the information I needed and more.

The purchase was the easiest car purchase I have ever experienced. I did all my work via e-mail. I had 6 dealers working for me to get the best deal I could. I bought from Timmons VW in Long Beach CA. My salesman made this a truly wonderful experience. I dealt with him and only him. No finance dept., no sales manager, and no harassment. The whole thing went down in a very short amount of time, and I was able to get the car for $175 over invoice, which was the price I was quoted before even getting to the dealer. All in all a great interaction, and I am very pleased with the car.

If anyone is looking to buy in the LA / Orange County areas, e-mail me and I will give you the contact I have.
  • hoodornamenthoodornament Member Posts: 114
    Just went on carsdirect.com, they list their W8 price as $1500 under MSRP (with limited availability). I wonder how if only a few thousand hit US shores? Or ... it can simply be a bogus price.
  • 8u6hfd8u6hfd Member Posts: 1,391
    At only a mere $39,700 you can own a Passat W8
    The following is a post by vwguild on b5 forum in vwvortex.com. I thought it will benefit the readers here too.

vwguild.. is there an earliest/latest date by which a new VW would have to be financed/leased to be eligible for this $500 rebate? (I financed mine 0.9/24 through VW Credit and am obviously curious! Thank you in advance.

-----

First of all...It is not a rebate...It will be taxed like one probably, but you
    don't have the option of taking the money in cash...It is a National Program
    for Existing VW Owners that are buying or leasing a new VW through Volkswagen Credit...The coupon is to be used for the 1st payment...If that
    payment is only $300, then the remaining $200 will be applied to the 2nd
    payment.
    There is another program specific to near end of lease customers as well...
    Volkswagen Credit will buyout the last 3 months of a lease that is expiring
    before July 31st, providing that the Customer turns in the leased car to
    an authorized VW Dealer and then Leases, or buys a new, 2002 Volkswagen.
    Details are available at any Authorized VW Dealer...

[Modified by vwguild, 10:55 AM 4-20-2002]
  • preppy155preppy155 Member Posts: 8
    what do i do to get and redeem this "coupon"?
  • barkasy1barkasy1 Member Posts: 44
    Congrats Bart,

I have a wagon of the same color on a boat somewhere on the high seas. Some stowaway's probably using it's plush interior...ACK!!!

Dave ;^)
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    OK I read that there will be ONLY 2000 W8's coming to the US (I assume that means 2000 units which will be model year 2002) -- this does not mean that in the calendar year 2002 there will only be 2000 W8's does it? VWGUILD -- doesn't this mean that there will be more W8's but that they will be model year 2003? What about that report on vwvortex that there will be a 6spd version available next model year?

My friend has a 1.8T Passat -- or had, better said -- and it was a very nice car. The 2001 GLX 4Motion I drove last year was also very nice (although underwhelming in its "performance" -- the transmission did not seem a good match to the 2.8V6).

Although I have -- for the time being -- decided to go with an Audi allroad instead of a Passat W8 Wagon (or wagen), I still think the W8 Passat is (for the time being) the biggest bargain in the US -- I mean what even comes close to the Passat W8 in its price range? I would think that VW could sell as many of them as they could screw together at full list price (at least for a year or two).

VW is really pushing upmarket, and I for one applaud and thank them for doing so.
    I started my Driver's Option on 11/3/01. Could I qualify for this payment thing or not? Thanks.
  • deerlake7deerlake7 Member Posts: 176
    Although I've posted this awhile back - I found my V6 hesitation only to happen when my foot is touching the break pedal, just as I begin to accelerate. When that condition does not occur, there's no hesitation. For some reason it's built into the computor this way.
  • jake101jake101 Member Posts: 4
    Clueless23 you mentioned that getting financing thru somewhere other than VW would make my life easier. Why is that? Just wondering...should hopefully be buying in the next week.

Thanks
    Corey
    I noticed some V6 hesitation as well, when I drove the loaner 2001 (old) Passat V6 I had last week. I was shocked to find out it was a V6 actually. I expected that engine to be alot quicker.
  • atolkatolk Member Posts: 5
    I was unpleasantly surprised by Edmunds' own Editor Rating for Passat. I had my heart set on a 1.8 Wagon and I liked everything about the way it drives, looks or feels. Edmunds rates 2002 Passat a meager 6.9, and the owners give it an underwhelming 8.8. Compare this to the editors 8.1 and the owners' 9.1 for Audi A4, the obvious alternative.

According to the editor, Passat scores low (5 out of 10) for "Rattles and squeaks", "Visibility", "Audio System Design/Operation", "Headlight Illumination", "Storage Space" and "Cupholders". That's a lot of 5's. Audi's only 5 comes in "Visibility", I think that most of the categories on which that Edmunds knocked Passat are nit-picking, but "Rattles and Squeaks" and "Road Noise" (both 10's for Audi) are important to me. I don't mean to turn this into a "Passat vs. A4" issue, I am sure it has been discussed to death (by the way, if you have a good link to such a discussion, I would appreciate it), but I wanted to get the owners', especially the ones with some tenure, not the excited 0-25K-mile crowd, perspective. What's up with this "Squeaks and rattle"? I have seen mentions of them in more than one post, and now this low rating from Edmunds. I am beginning to doubt my choice.

Please specify:

1. How many years/miles is your Passat?
    2. Do you have squeaks/rattle?
    3. When did they first occur?
    4. How does VW/dealer explain them away?
    5. Did you stop noticing them after a while, or do they nag you more the longer you own the car?

I intend to keep my next car for a minimum of six years, so I am extremely interested in the reliability and build quality of the car that until recently was my firm first choice. Clearly, Passat is a better value, if by value you understand $/size, then A4, but if my Passat will fall apart or cause me serious trouble after the 4 warrantied years, then I will consider looking elsewhere.
    READ the Edmunds comsumer reviews...Passat has one obvious non-owner basher...one guy who loves his wife's car but gives it a 4.0 (makes no sense), etc...

One Audi review is by a 15 year old who is rating his mom's car a 10.

Some of the Audis rated are $ 40,000 plus cars too!

Read ALL the reviews from Consumer Reports, Yahoo, Car & Driver etc...

Anyone on Rattles?
  • merckxmerckx Member Posts: 565
    Where are they? i haven't been able to find them.
    Go to "New" (on the top of this screen), Go to Volkswagen, go to 2002 VW Passat, go to Consumer Reviews (upper right).

I don't know Alex...I gave it a lot of thought too. But I'm really not a label person. I just want to enjoy a GLX V6 Variant (Avant), Leather (not leatherette), 8-way power driver AND passenger heated seats, 16" rims for smooth ride. Leg room in the backseat. Do a little tinting...Any rattles the dealer will fix. Edmunds is the only one mentioning that.

With the money I'm saving I'll put towards a W8 in two to three years and have a blast. Can't see paying 30K for a 1.8 stick, manual seats, and "leatherette".

Dave
    but the Edmunds. They give 2001.5 Passat a stellar review, then turn around and stab it in the back with some dismal ratings. Out of the cars I was considering, only MBZ C-Class scored lower. I know ratings are not everything, and the looks and the feel count for something, but what were they thinking?

And the rattle...

One of the posts says it comes from the dashboard, another - "somewhere in the floor towards the front". I went and took a Passat for a spin today, but could not find any bumpy road. Oh, did I mention that the rattle is supposed to manifest itself on a bad road?

The test drive put a smile on my face, though. As always. Right after a 3- and a 5-series BMW, too. And Edmunds rates 3-series "The Most Wanted". Maybe, we just have different sets of car values, me and Edmunds?

Well, tell me about the rattle, and I'll forget the ratings.
    No...
  • newsynewsy Member Posts: 1
    i want to buy a leather pakcage v6 or v4 2002 passaat gls...how much better, faster is the v6>>
    and it is easy to have a dealer give the TMV price... and is the dealer where i want to trade in the car, the best place to do it?

thanks.
    I don't know how everyone bases ratings but here are a few to ponder:

Consumer Reports "The 2002 Cars"

Catagory-Family Sedans

Passat GLS (V6) Is number 1 with an "Excellent" rating and is recommended.

Passat GLS (4-cyl.) Is number 4 with a high "Very Good" rating and is recommended (It's the top 4-cyl. vehicle in this category).

Catagory-Station Wagons

Passat GLX 4Motion Is number 3 with an "Excellent" rating (Mercedes-Benz E320 4Matic is number 1 recommended, Audi A6 Avant is number 2 but NOT recommended.).

Consumer Reports Safety Assessment

Catagory-Family Sedans

Passat GLS is number 1 and is "Excellent" in "Accident Avoidance" AND "Crash Protection". Out of 85 vehicles tested, it's one of only 2 cars I see listed that scored the two "Excellent" ratings.

Consumer Reports Reliability Forecast (Prediction)

Passat (4 -cyl.) looks to be approximately 22% above average.

Passat (V6) looks to be approximately 2% above average.

In the Consumer Reports "New Car Preview 2002" is has the following:

Acceleration-Better than Average

Transmission-Much Better than Average

Braking-Better that Average

Routine Handling-Better than Average

Emergency Handling-Better than Average

Ride, Normal Load-Better than Average

Ride, Full Load-Better than Average

Noise-Much Better than Average

Driving Position-Better than Average

Controls and Displays-Better than Average

Climate-Control System-Much Better than Average

Access-Better than Average

Trunk-Better than Average

Front-Seat Comfort-Better than Average

Rear-Seat Comfort-Better than Average

Reliability-Average

Predicted Depreciation-Better than Average

Consumer Guide Buying Guide "2002 Ratings and Prices"

Passat is rated as a "Consumer Guide-Best Buy-Auto".

Ratings 4-cyl man V6 auto Glx 4Mot wgn

Acceleration 5 5 5
    Fuel Economy 6 5 4
    Ride Quality 8 8 8
    Steering/Handling 7 7 7
    Quietness 6 6 6
    Instruments/Controls 7 7 7
    Room/Comfort (Front) 7 7 7
    Room Comfort (Rear) 6 6 6
    Cargo Room 4 4 8
    Value 7 7 7
    Total 63 62 65

Average Total for Compact Cars 51.9

If these columns don't end up "lining-up", I'm not doing it again..

Dave ;^)
    vwguild - I did not ignore or miss your query. It is just that I did not get to drive too much these past few days and even when I did, I did not pay much attention to the music system. Well, you can guess from the previous stt that I am no audio connoisseur (hey, the radio and cassette on my '91 camry stopped working a while back), but I did find the Monsoon system to be quite good. I haven't fiddled around with all the settings as yet and once I get to drive around more often, I am sure I will have more to share.
    With the Monsoon, it also has speed compensating volume. Meaning when you go faster and outside noise increases, you can set the radio volume to go up automatically. Just push the "Dolby" button in (to the right of the cassette opening) and hold it until you hear a "beep". Then turn the "scan" knob to the right, set it to preferred setting (between 1 and 3) and hit the "Dolby" button again.

This applies to the double-din Monsoon only.
  • spider6spider6 Member Posts: 35
    Hello everyone, I am making a final decision on a new car purchase this weekend if a deal
    can be worked out. I am deciding between Passat or 1999 ES 300 CPO(18K). I was offered a loaded GLS at 5.4% profit or about $1000 off sticker(MRSP $26880), which is $400+ higher than Edmund TMV. ES 300 is the car I always liked, V6, large size, high resale, prestige of Lexus and service benefit as well as CPO warranty. They want $28K but I think I can get it down to $25500. ES300 was not my color(blk) it is white(I can live with it), there is a good chance they won't lower their dealer price at all since they are the only Lexus dealer in town. I just can't seem to decide on which car is for me, Passat is fast enough but lack a little smoothness compared to V6 ES 300, Passat is a hot car Lexus is a better name...etc etc..
    I would buy the ES only if it is a bar gin price given the fact it is 3 year old(regardless its low
    milage), but Lexus are very desireable cars so dealer like to stick to high prices. Passat is
    perfect in everyway except it is not a luxury label, at least not for now, and the fact when buy
    new cars depreciation kicks in hard the first two years. So my dillima is do I want the fun
    hot German car or better label reliable high resale far east import? Anyone should my views?
    Actually, VWs hold their value better than alot of other makeso on the market. Have you thought about checking for a used Passat? They have a CPO program as well.

Find more info at http://www.vw.com. Follow the CPO links from their homepage. Good luck.

• dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Sounds as if you like the Passat better, but feel others will like the Lexus better. You need to decide if you are buying the vehicle for yourself or the others.

Also remember - until 4 years from now the Passat will still have a bumper to bumper warrenty. Will a 7+ year old lexus still have that?
  • delia21delia21 Member Posts: 10
    I hover over this board because I like reading and finding out things about my car!

Markcin..
    I was a first time VW buyer in June2001. Owned two Toyotas before that and drove them for 21 years total. No problems with either Toy but I wanted something diff. I must admit VW reliability has me leary but not enough to buy ext warr. No maj problems, no squeaks, no rattles so far 9K miles( light driver). My passenger side daytime light burned out. How long has the Passat been out anyway? I've seen only two generations of Passats on the road.

Husker_fan
    Go back and get the rest of your keys! As someone said, you should have two alarmed keys plus a valet key. Most cars come with at least two..

Where is this extended sun shade??? I really do not believe that I have one. I do not mean the rear one. Is there a PDI list on-line somewhere?

2001.5GLS, Indigo/grey, V6, stick, lux, monsoon, homelink
    I am not sureif the 2001.5 has it - I am a 5-day old owner of a GLX :) - but check the following out anyway. Just behind/above the rear view mirror, there will a little plastic thing that you can rotate about an axis. If there is one such thing, try it pulling it outwards... and that is your sun shade. I thought it was quite cool... especially because it is very effective. and much more elegant that the extend-the-plastic-from-the-regular-sunshade.
    When does the 03s come out? I read that there are some trim line changes and ESP
    as an Option. How about the price increase are there any? Also, if I buy the Passat
    I will put on some 16s wheels and try to lower the car, but does any know lowering
    actually improves the response but as the same time lower the ride quality? I am sure
    there is a scrafice somewhere. I think I am leaning toward Passat then ES 300 since
    I can pick my color(blk on blk), too bad VW doesn't have any rebates going. Wonder if
    I waiting until 03s are on the way if I can save more money.
    Thanks for the ratings.

What's the best place to read up on A4 vs. Passat? (including other websites)
  • pkraddpkradd Member Posts: 358
    Besides the little plastic thingie, you can rotate the driver sunshade to the side window and then pull it out on the rod to extend it.
  • routerdogrouterdog Member Posts: 3
    I am about to buy a GLS w/ luxury and Monsoon. (picked it over the new Altima) Only question is, should this combo have the cruise control and stereo buttons on the steering wheel. This car doesn't but others that I test drove did. Is this a change by VW or is the dealer doing something screwy?
    No. Only the GLX has those features.
  • outrunoutrun Member Posts: 539
    Not true. I believe the Leather package on the GLS includes the steering wheel controls, as the wheel rim is leather.

I have an '02 GLS, Leather, Lux, Monsoon. I have those controls on mine.

-Craig
    The sunshade came on the 2002 models only I think. What I intrepret as such is the new sunvisor that extends and has the Homelink on it. You will know if the car has it, because the Homelink buttons will be on the top of the visor above your head. You rotate the sunvisor around to your left side (against the driver's window) and then pull it out towards the back of the car. It extends. I know the 2001s didn't have it, and that sucks because it comes in handy for someone who drives with the seats all the way back.

And the Passat debuted in fall of 1989 as a 1990 model. It first had a 134hp DOHC 2.0 engine, and the VR6 came in 1993 for the first time.
  • blackjetta18t1blackjetta18t1 Member Posts: 278
    i know 2001 jettas have it..
    Not the one I am talking about, they do not. You are talking about the center sunvisor. I am talking about the sunvisor extension feature. I think the other person who originally asked the question was talking about that as well.

By the way, that center sunvisor is very convenient when driving into the sun on the highway. I use to hate when it would peak over the rearview mirror, but now it's not a problem in my Jetta. I like little touches like that, that no other car company in its price range offers.
    I believe they are optional on the GLS with leather and V6?
    I brought my 2001.5 Passat for its 10,000 service. No problems at all so far. I asked about letting the turbo run for 60 seconds after stopping to park. He said that was for SuperCharger types not the one used on the 1.8 engine. So, I don't bother any more.
    Anyway, I had a look at the W8 and spoke to the salesman while waiting for my car. The car is loaded, of course, but we both agreed on a few things that could be done better. The interior is basically the same as the V6 the only difference being bright work along the dash seams and door seams where the two tone colors meet. I mentioned that I thought the rear shade should be electric rather than manual. He agreed. The speedo and othe gauges have a slightly different look then the other Passats. He mentioned that he thought the leather design on the seats should have been different then then other Passats. All in all he told me that customers are balking not because of the price, but that the car doesn't do much to differentiate intself from the other Passats. And boy, is that engine compartment tight.

Just some opiinons and thoughts.
    The steering wheel controls are included in the Leather Package, no matter which engine you choose.

I agree about the W8. I have never seen one yet, but I thought that the interior materials were more upscale. Guess not. Makes no sense to me, they should have been. How does VW expect someone to spend $40K on a car if it looks the same as one that sells for ~$30K inside and out, except for badges?
    Getting ready to make an offer to my local VW for a new Passat GLS. One problem,
    there was an slightly larger than an egg sized dent with paint damage on the rear upper
    deck of the trunk and looks like the lamp underneath is also slightly scratched. I know this
    was be fixed but does require body work. Does anyone have any idea what offer should be made on this car? It has only 15 miles on it. My second option is that they can locate or order
    me a brand new one, I will offer a net profit of $500 or 2% after deducting holdback from deal
    cost, is this reasonable? The dealer cost includes ad fee $162, floor $92 and port prep $25, I have read in the previous postings that mentioned this kind of fees included by VW, do these
    fee seem right to everyone here? I got dealer fax me a copy of their invoice. Thanks!
    About the fees, they are reasonable. The floor plan and port prep charges are standard. The ad fees vary between 0-200 and so yours is on the higher end. Make sure that they don't stick you with high documentation fees in addition to these. You can always negotiate on the doc. fees.

Usually, these charges and fees are added to the base invoice + dest charges and then you can agree on what is a reasonable profit from that cumulative number. What options are you choosing on the GLS? Also, I would not have any idea on the deductions for the dent. You may be able to do better than $500 profit.. these are 02 models and the 03 models are coming in soon. If your numbers are working out very close to Edmunds TMV for this vehicle, you should be OK.
    The Passat GLS I want is the one with homelink,leather, luxury, and monsoon. MRSP is $26880, TMV is $25401(which I think is high), my calculated dealer cost is Edmund's number
    plus ad, floor and port($279) less 2% holdback of base MRSP. So I feel $500 above true invoice
    for 02 is very reasonable, doc fee is only $50 but since doc is a pure profit I included all
    in my offer of $500 above true invoice. My offer is 2% profit of the true cost(deal cost less holdback). And my offer would be for a non previously damaged vehicle, it would only be for a newly ordered car unless they are willing to make it an exceptional deal on the to-be-repaired
    car to move their unit.
  • andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,390
    Did somebody say 270 hp, they've got my attention.

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

• imprtlvrimprtlvr Member Posts: 38
    Talking about power, I drove a 300hp used Lexus GS400 the other day. Good God! If I only had the money!

Just for kicks, what's the most powerful/fastest car everyone has driven?

Mine would be a 1996 Saleen Mustang, 350hp supercharged V8.
    Yes...270HP, AWD, ESP, Bi-Xenon lamps, huge
    disc brakes, and much more...
    I would strongly recommend that you go back and
    READ the entire section from the *Home* page
    about TMV...not just the percentage points...

It will make your purchasing experience significantly more enjoyable...
    You never told me what you think of the CD...