Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Volkswagen Passat 2005 and earlier

Comments

• Options
    spider6spider6 Member Posts: 35
    Thanks for your word of advice. I think dealers are certainly entitled to a reasonable profit but
    then again what's reasonable varies in one's opinion. Some folks avoids negotiation as much
    as possible or give in easily, some folks drives a hard bargain makes dealer earn their money.
    Business is business at the end of the day I believe dealer are out to make as much as
    possible, will certainly not be ashamed to make $Ks off one customer and only $00s off other.
    As a consumer I am looking after my interest only, I don't never believe when dealer say they
    don't make money on a car they sold me. No dealer would let go a car at a loss, otherwise
    they will have to close their doors. If they didn't make as much off me they are going to get theirs off another. I don't mean to be a hardass or not allowing dealer to get their share of fair
    profit. Again I must say business is business I am not there to make friends. I have a goal and intend to accomplish it and if my offer gets turned down, no big deal I will find me anther to do business with. Thanks I know you are just being nice and try to save me from dealers that can
    give me unprofessional service, believe me I been there I know how some dealership can
    be big time jerk off. If they are like that then it would be perfectly clear to me they don't want to
    move their units, I will remove my offer and gladly give it to their competitors. I want all of the
    readers to know LOOK ONLY AFTER YOUR INTEREST. How many times you trade in your
    car and gets NOTHING for it? Please let's not start a huge argument here it would not serve
    other readers any good. This is only my opinion and I present it but use it at your own will.
    Thanks vwguid I think you always offer good advice!
  • Options
    merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    Dealer only had one in stock on the showroom floor. He offered so I said of course. The car is faster than I thought it would be, but there is a hesitation between first and second gears, like the torque converter is getting hung up, and like the poster above mentioned it's not different enough from the "regular" Passats. The gauge cluster is different and the computer readout has more features to it, and there is chrome strip around the whole cabin (looks like an after thought). The W8 should have a better grade of leather and/or a slightly different seat design and of course there should be a sport package with 17 inch wheels and true "sport" seats. The W8 engine sounds like a 4-cylinder upon start up if you're outside the car, but from the inside and at speed it's all "V8". As it stands right now the car is a work in progress. I can't see paying 38K for this car as it is right now. The upcoming sport package (in 3 mos per salesman) will only push it ever closer to 40K where there are better cars lurking. But it was still a mostly satisfying drive.

M
  • Options
    vbi4vbi4 Member Posts: 29
    I did not ignore your question. I think you may have missed it. My response is a few posts back at post #3425.

Also, I had a chance to check out the radio last evening. Driving in North Eastern NJ, I found that as I went closer to Interstate 87 (NY State Throughway), the AM reception was deteriorating and picking some disturbance as well.

Also, vwguild, can you confirm 1 point about the recently announced $500 loyalty rebate. Is it just for repeat customers or for first-time owners/lessees also? I understand the finance/lease must start between April and July.
  • Options
    vbi4vbi4 Member Posts: 29
    I have read the owner's manual about some dos and donts of breaking-in for the first 1000-1500 miles. Would some of you please share additional important dos and donts that made it to your personal lists? How about speed restrictions, handling stop-and-go traffic, idling the engine upon starting it in the morning, etc?

Also, I have heard conflicting opinions about taking a new car for a long drive - say around 1000 miles round-trip over 3-4 days. Is it good for breaking-in the engine if one does take it for the long drive and stays within 70mph and does not abuse it by cranking the RPM too high? Or should I just avoid it outright?
  • Options
    markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    Merc1 -- interesting perspective. Also a little bit disappointing. I have NOT driven one, I have read the US and European car magazines write ups on the W8. I have driven a 2001 GLX 4Motion and as I have noted owned several Audis. I thought the W8 would be more impressive than your review based on what some of the car magazine editors have written (both before and after the suspension recalibration -- which the one you drove should have had).

I also thought the "universal" opinion was that the Passat W8 at less than $40K would be a "hot ticket" price wise. I would love to drive a 2002 A6 3.0quattro back to back with the W8 Passat.
    I have driven the A6 3.0 and found it a big improvement over the 2.8 (and this includes the Passat with the 2.8 which I thought was underpowered and underwhelming). I have "imagined" that the Passat W8 (which I agree is a "work in progress") would hurt Aud A6 3.0 and A4 3.0 sales because it is "so cheap."

Thanks for taking the time to share your analysis. I hope there are soon some here in Cincinnati so that I can test one myself!

Any other W8 testers care to report in?!?
  • Options
    blackjetta18t1blackjetta18t1 Member Posts: 278
    i once drove a Mustang Cobra, good god that was powerful but I was valeting so I did not really "drive" it but I disliked the manual transmission. In terms of power that has to be at the top, and then there's a BMW 740il, but I'd say the fastest car I've ever really driven would be a 1993 Saab 9000 Aero, talk about torque steer, 225hps, 258lb/ft with fwd, man o man, that turbo is impressive. Car and driver had tested the car at 0-60 in 6.2 seconds.
  • Options
    vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    I have test driven a Camaro Z28 and a Mustang GT before. They had really nice power, but I could not deal with the cramped interior of them. It made me feel like I was sitting in a bathtub.
  • Options
    porknbeansporknbeans Member Posts: 465
    Drove a used one when I was in Australia about 20 years ago. Fun! :)
    Porknbeans

Grand High Poobah
    The Fraternal Order of Procrastinators
  • Options
    sands2sands2 Member Posts: 6
    Hi guys,

Someone might have probably asked the question I am about to in the past, but I will still go ahead with it ...

How many miles should I IDEALLY wait for the engine to 'SET'? I bought a 2002 VW passat GLS 1.8T last night and was told to keep the revs below 3000 for the first 50 miles. I was told by friends that the limit is 500-1000 miles, depending on the car. The dealer told me that the newer engines dont take so much time to set anymore. Anyone know if thats the case or should I play it safe and drive on the DL for the first 500 miles?

sands
  • Options
    ian18ian18 Member Posts: 133
    VW dealer told me that starting with the 2002 model year, the timing belt requires replacement at 105,000 miles instead of 60,000 miles. This also applies to the W8. I am happy to hear about the increase and wonder what change in material has allowed this.
  • Options
    ian18ian18 Member Posts: 133
    Since markcincinatti asked, I will let everyone know my thoughts about my test drive of the new W8 yesterday. The dealership had 3 W8's in stock, of which 2 were apparently sold.

In general I would agree with all comments made by merc1.

The car is certainly fast and has a great ride. Sounds good too although I think that there is some hesitation when stomping on the gas pedal.

However, the big issue for me is value for money. I just don't see how the price differential between the 6 cylinder 4 motion is justified. Perhaps compared to Audi's and BMW's it is a great bargain. I really don't know as I am not shopping for those cars. But relative to what VW offers, something is lacking. The strip of chrome in the interior and the chrome tipped exhaust, don't seem to be enough "dressing up" of the car to give it that special presence that would get me to pay the sort of money VW wants.

Anyway, just my opinion. I think I will focus on a 2003 Passat Turbo 4 with a 5 speed.
  • Options
    nerdnerd Member Posts: 203
    1969/70 Boss 429 Mustang.
  • Options
    dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    i was certain i read there was some "really upgraded leather package in the W8" sounds like that is not so, pretty disapointing reviews.

DL
  • Options
    Let me ask, what suspension recalibration was is supposed to have? Are you talking about the sports package or just some recalibrations done to the "regular" W8 model that's here now? I guess overally I expected more. Like different seats, a power rear-window sunshade and some more "toys" and a different look externally. The rear tailpipes are nice, but the wheels are standard VW issue, nothing special. Here's what it would take for me to buy a W8 Passat. First the price, it would need be at 35K for the "regular" model and about 37.5K for a "sport" model. That sport model would need sportier seats, loose the seemingly last minute additional chrome strip in the interior, a power rw sunshade and of course those 17-inch wheels I've seen on every picture of the W8 in reviews. But at 40K with the upcoming sport package I don't see the car being a "hot" item, mainly because there's not enough content/visual difference from regular Passat. I applaud VW for doing the car in the first place, but now they need to bring it on home and instead for sitting back and being content about having different engine from everybody else. I know they can do this...maybe a letter campain is in order.

Also I doubt that the W8 will hurt Audi at all. Audis are better "sorted". They're equipped right and their dealers are so much better. Only on person at my local VW dealer knew anything about the W8 Passat that was sitting right in there in the showroom! That doesn't make you want to "give" them 38K for a Passat, know what I mean..??

M
  • Options
    I read "short takes" in several US car magazines and European magazines about the W8 over the past year. Also I have visited web sites that have had discussions about the W8.

Initially the first (short) takes on the W8 indicated that the suspension was "tuned" so softly so as to allow words like "wallow" and "body roll" to be used by writers reviewing (previewing) the W8. Subsequent "announcements" and short takes included mentions that VW had listened to the car magazine writers and had replaced the original suspension with a "sportier" set up (as standard). However, all the reviews I read claimed that the W8 would come to the US with at least a 17" wheel/tire option, if not standard. No mention in the magazines was made of a US bound sport suspension -- although I am glad that one is coming.

Your point about Audi not being hurt is interesting and somewhat reassuring -- although a friend of mine did end his 1998 A6 2.8 quattro lease normally and immediately replaced it with a new Passat GLX 4Motion -- other than the dealer differences, he claims the VW is a worthy replacement for his Audi (and for those of you who are not aware -- the Audi A6 2.8 quattros were even more underwhelming -- performance wise -- than a Passat GLX 4Motion). So when I asked my friend would you like to have your Passat with an 8 cylinder engine, he said "absolutely." And, in this person's mind, the Passat would still remain a very high value (when compared to the A6 3.0 quattro).

Also, Car Magazine, in a recent issue, discussed the "work in progress" to further differentiate Audi and VW -- they of course mentioned the Phaeton and its closeness to the Audi A8 and the Passat W8 and its "consumer confusing" introduction as a near A4/A6. The write up concluded that there would be some VW/Audi cannibalism for a few model years while the transision for VW to "classic luxury" and Audi to "sporting luxury" manifested itself.

The initial write ups here are more than a little disappointing especially since I know that most of us who participate on VW and Audi town halls are actually quite passionate FOR the brand(s). When I drove the Passat GLX 4Motion, I thought two things: #1 it needed a firmer suspension and somewhat more aggressive tires and #2 with a 5 or 6 speed manual it would be quite impressive. Instead, I was more impressed with the 1.8T version (with a stick shift) -- but of course no AWD is available on that model.

Since it is a Saturday and I have some time, I plan to visit a couple VW dealers today here in Cincinnati to see if the W8 has made it here yet.

Thanks for the insights.
  • Options
    husker_fanhusker_fan Member Posts: 5
    Anyone know of any places where you can get one for less that the $140 www.vw.com wants?
  • Options
    pkraddpkradd Member Posts: 358
    Frederick's of Hollywood?

Look on the internet, that's where I found thick plush mats for my 2001.5 Passat. (The ones that came with the car are very thin). Also try VWVortex.com
  • Options
    vwguildvwguild Member Posts: 1,620
    I have posted some impressions of the W8 over at
    www.VWVortex.com, but not here; so here goes...

Cosmetically, this is a low profile, understated,
    powerful, all-wheel drive sedan(I will not get a wagon/Variant for 2002), that will get a sportier
    counterpart for 2003...17"s, a tuned sport suspension, and a six-speed manual transmission.
    This will certainly be a *Limited Edition* offering...much like it's market...

This car was not brought to market to compete with
    other VW/Audi products, but to take a place, a Value Position(as has been pointed out) along
    side MBZ, where the E430 AWD 4Matic costs upwards
    of $60K...

The issue of the Standard 16"s has to do with a
    typically complex DOT regulatory system...And would have forced VWAG/VWOA to price the Tiptronic
    beyond the desired level...The 2003 Sports Pkg.
    will add $1550 as an option, but with a $1073
    reduction w/o the Tip.

On a more practical level for those interested in a 2002 W8, but who want additional performance
    with the Tip and who have to address snow and ice
    4-5 months a year there is an easy solution...
    Add some great 17" wheels & some Ultra High Performance Tires for the Spring and Summer and
    early Fall, and then put the All Season 16"s back
    on for late Fall & Winter...

Electronic memos from VWOA this past week have
    addressed engine noise at cold start & at RPM
    levels of 1200-1700 when the engine is new...this will disappear as the engine is truly *broken in*.

As the first 8 cylinder offering from Volkswagen,
    and the first product in this market niche it will, no doubt, take a bit of time for public acceptance...we'll see...
  • Options
    ufgatorsufgators Member Posts: 58
    I was reading about a feature on the monsoon sound system that automatically turns the stereo to a set volume when the car is turned on regardless of the sound level when the car was turned off. I tried this feature in my car by pushing the and holding the dolby button like the manual says, however I am only getting the speed-sensitive volume setting and not the "turn-on" volume setting. Does anyone know how to solve this problem?
  • Options
    Ok, let us know what you find. I agree with you about the Passat and the old A6 2.8. The Passat had less weight to pull around than the Audi.

M
  • Options
    I called a VW dealer (the "nicest" one in Cincinnati in my opionion) -- they do not have a W8 yet. I drove through the parking lot of another dealer and did not see a W8 (and I guess it is possible that they have one or some W8's -- so shame on me). I will continue to search -- but frankly my interest is now piqued regarding the possibility of a W8 with sport and manual transmission.

And, although I suspect that there may be some justification on paper for the comparison of the W8 to a $60K MB -- for me that doesn't seem likely. Will people that are looking for an MB with AWD and with the financial capability of buying a $60K car actually look at a sub $40K car?

It still seems the closest competitor might be a BMW 3 series (with the AWD option) or an Audi A4 or A6. The intention to compete (VW with Audi) may not be there but it just seems so natural -- and yes I am biased because my friend DID make such a comparison and opted for the Passat.

The possibility of driving a sub $40K german 8 cyliner car with AWD, 6sp manual and a sport package is still incredible. And I still believe that this Passat is a significant bargain in the marketplace -- "nothing even comes close" -- seems to fit it so well.

I will again cruise the VW lots today (the sun is finally shining in Cinti) and hopefully will find an unsold W8 and arrange for my test drive.

When will the manual be available in the US?
  • Options
    serkincserkinc Member Posts: 5
    I have been trolling this message board for months and am now very close to ordering a 2003 Passat. Looking at 2002s, I had decided on a 1.8T Manual, with Lux. and Monsoon. I was not that interested in the sunroof (I don't mind having one; just not important to me), but wanted to get the alloy wheels. Now, with the new trim levels for 2003, I'm not sure what to do. Can someone tell me if the GL will, in fact, be identical in all respects to the GLS, minus the sun roof and fog lights? Will other bells and whistles be missing? And, does anyone know if there is a way to upgrade to 16" alloys as an option? How much would this cost? I think that my ideal car (given money constraints) is the GL 1.8T Manual, with Monsoon, ESP, and 16" rims, in Silverstone Gray with black cloth interior. Now I'm just not sure the best way to go about ordering this.
  • Options
    pkraddpkradd Member Posts: 358
    Since VW has not officially announced the 2003 models and what trim each has your'e not gonna get a factual answer yet. (Vw.vortex has some preliminary data). Speak to your dealer and if he doesn't know keep looking at the VW.com site over the next few weeks (or months). And welcome to the world of Passat. You're gonna love it.
  • Options
    schulzrschulzr Member Posts: 1
    In the review of the Passat sedan the reviewer says," Some drivers might find body roll to be excessive during canyon runs, but..." What is body roll? What are canyon runs? I am considering buying a Passat 2002 GLX 2.8L 4-door sedan. Is it unsuitable for mountain driving?
  • Options
    merckxmerckx Member Posts: 565
    Suspension extremes are a very soft,comfortable ride with body roll,or a much stiffer suspension that will give a car inspiring nimbleness and very direct steering,but also various amounts of harshness going over even small bumps,like tar expansion strips,in the road.
    Body roll is when a softly suspended car will bob to and fro when cornering with gusto. Like the old dogs with the spring-loaded necks that people used to put on their rear package shelves.
    With fairly aggressive driving,roll can be annoying. But that is extremely subjective,and also a function to what you are used to driving.For me,I've always felt my 2001 Passat is a perfect blend of Mazda Miata and old Cadillac. It's fun to drive but also very comfortable.
    Canyon driving?-The Passat will do just fine,but if your attempted speed gets high enough,you'll probably get the unpleasant sensation that you're not in complete control of EXACTLY where your car is going(like trying to drive with little Slinkys built into your wrists!).That is where stiffer sport suspensions come in-but how many of us really drive like that?
  • Options
    I just closed a dealer with my local VW dealer on a 2002 Passat 1.8T Black with grey leather
    interior. This car has luxury, leather, homelink and monsoon, sticker is $26880. AND I GOT IT FOR DEALER INVOICE. That's over $600 less than TMV and only $400 over true invoice(dealer invoice minus 2% holdback of base MRSP per Edmunds). It is my opinion that a good deal is within reach even when dealing on a hot car. You will need to willing to walk and shop around and have some flexiblity(hint: work with dealer on what's on the lot). Don't get emotional whether excited about a deal or get angry or frustrated over being turn down on an offer. Here is how I did it: 1) Any VW dealer in conjuntion with Audi or BMW or other luxury label dealership will demand more in profit(derrrr). After talking and checking out my first Audi/VW dealer for the last few weeks, I finally made up my mind made an offer of $500 profit over TRUE INVOICE(again, that's dealer invoice less holdback of 2% MRSP). The sales manager was not flexible, the best he offered me was a whopping $1200 over true invoice. That's about $300-$400 over TMV, they
    were nice and pretty professional didn't feed me with too much bs other than insisting on making their margin. I WALKED !! And didn't stop me at the door and very late in the day called
    and followed up with me but didn't even make a new offer!! By then I already close my deal
    elsewhere. Let this be a lesson for the dealer consumers wants a FAIR deal. If they had offered
    their Passat to me at my offer or added another $100-$200 for a total of $700 over true invoice I would have agreed to it. 2)Let me talk about the last dealer, it was a dealer in a small town with
    just few Passat on the lot. They was very polite and quickly get on their computer and found a list of Passat that I may be interest and offer to me at about $150 over TMV. Not competitive, they did mention that their in stock units would be offered at more attractive deals. I said thanks
    but I got to get what I want. So I left but I was please that they tried to help. 3) My second dealership was the one I closed my deal with. I been talk to this guy for about a week, he didn't have black on black in stock but has black with grey interior. I left the first dealer headed straight to this dealer(a combo dealer that sells Fords,Suzikis, etc). This time Salesperson offered to locate my car for about $44 under TMV, NO DEAL. I thought he could do much better, so I decide to walk again, even though this was a better deal($300 less than the first dealer). He stopped me and asked me if I was interested in the Passat with Grey interior, I said what
    about it? He replied "I will give it to you for INVOICE." This was the magical words I was wanting
    to hear. I still wanted to think about it so I told him that I will call first thing Monday. Two hours
    later after I left the third dealership, I made a call to him asked him to waive a doc fee of $70,
    he agreed and I ageed to pay for it on Monday. I got this car for $24788(MRSP is $26880). Dealer is making about $456 or 2% hold back. This is also a good deal for him I thought but
    an outstanding one for me. I used TMV as a benchmark, but thought that I could do wholelot better. Well at the end of the day, I was $600+ better than TMV. This was win-win for both
    parties, even though I still have doubts on the $200+(ad, prep,floor included by VW on their
    dealer invoice of $24788). I am sure somehow someway deal ultimately still get their share of
    these fees, but with my info from Edmund's and Consumer Reports I could do no better after
    shopping at all 3 dealships. What do you think?
  • Options
    Although the Timing Belt receommended replacement
    schedule is 105K, it is essential to have it checked at 40K & 80K services, and signed off as
    OK by VW Tech...

The GL will continue you be a fully equipped Passat...only deletion will be the fogs...MFA,
    AM/FM/CASS/CD, etc. still on board...An inexpensive wheel upgrade would be 16X7 wheels
    with 205/55-16 Tires...
  • Options
    I just closed a dealer with my local VW dealer on a 2002 Passat 1.8T Black with grey leather
    interior. This car has luxury, leather, homelink and monsoon, sticker is $26880. AND I GOT IT FOR DEALER INVOICE. That's over $600 less than TMV and only $400 over true invoice(dealer invoice minus 2% holdback of base MRSP per Edmunds). It is my opinion that a good deal is within reach even when dealing on a hot car. You will need to willing to walk and shop around and have some flexiblity(hint: work with dealer on what's on the lot). Don't get emotional whether excited about a deal or get angry or frustrated over being turn down on an offer. Here is how I did it: 1) Any VW dealer in conjuntion with Audi or BMW or other luxury label dealership will demand more in profit(derrrr). After talking and checking out my first Audi/VW dealer for the last few weeks, I finally made up my mind made an offer of $500 profit over TRUE INVOICE(again, that's dealer invoice less holdback of 2% MRSP). The sales manager was not flexible, the best he offered me was a whopping $1200 over true invoice. That's about $300-$400 over TMV, they
    were nice and pretty professional didn't feed me with too much bs other than insisting on making their margin. I WALKED !! And didn't stop me at the door and very late in the day called
    and followed up with me but didn't even make a new offer!! By then I already close my deal
    elsewhere. Let this be a lesson for the dealer consumers wants a FAIR deal. If they had offered
    their Passat to me at my offer or added another $100-$200 for a total of $700 over true invoice I would have agreed to it. 2)Let me talk about the last dealer, it was a dealer in a small town with
    just few Passat on the lot. They was very polite and quickly get on their computer and found a list of Passat that I may be interest and offer to me at about $150 over TMV. Not competitive, they did mention that their in stock units would be offered at more attractive deals. I said thanks
    but I got to get what I want. So I left but I was please that they tried to help. 3) My second dealership was the one I closed my deal with. I been talk to this guy for about a week, he didn't have black on black in stock but has black with grey interior. I left the first dealer headed straight to this dealer(a combo dealer that sells Fords,Suzikis, etc). This time Salesperson offered to locate my car for about $44 under TMV, NO DEAL. I thought he could do much better, so I decide to walk again, even though this was a better deal($300 less than the first dealer). He stopped me and asked me if I was interested in the Passat with Grey interior, I said what
    about it? He replied "I will give it to you for INVOICE." This was the magical words I was wanting
    to hear. I still wanted to think about it so I told him that I will call first thing Monday. Two hours
    later after I left the third dealership, I made a call to him asked him to waive a doc fee of $70,
    he agreed and I ageed to pay for it on Monday. I got this car for $24788(MRSP is $26880). Dealer is making about $456 or 2% hold back. This is also a good deal for him I thought but
    an outstanding one for me. I used TMV as a benchmark, but thought that I could do wholelot better. Well at the end of the day, I was $600+ better than TMV. This was win-win for both
    parties, even though I still have doubts on the $200+(ad, prep,floor included by VW on their
    dealer invoice of $24788). I am sure somehow someway deal ultimately still get their share of
    these fees, but with my info from Edmund's and Consumer Reports I could do no better after
    shopping at all 3 dealships. What do you think?
  • Options
    Good for you!!! How do you like the Monsoon & CD???
  • Options
    Thanks vwguild. I felt pretty good about how the whole deal went down. I actually at one point considered a Passat at the first dealer w/o the Monsoon. I am an owner of Pathfinder SUV
    and it came with 150 watts BOSE stereo, I thought that the BOSE was both louder and
    had more highs, but the Monsoon had a warmer tone and a bit more real. I think this is
    probably something I will get used to. Monsoon also had some upscale touch such as
    fade in out on volume and speed compensating auto adjust. Getting back to evaluating
    the Passat with the standard 8 speaker stereo, the sales guy told me that the standard
    stereo had the same Monsoon speakers(8), but only missing amp. I think I believed him,
    cause the I didn't notice any obvious difference in sound quality both volume and clarity.
    I would actually recommend anyone who is not a music freak to skip the Monsoon option,
    but then again for $287(invoice cost) it is probably worth it to get it. Thanks
  • Options
    I had a 2001 Passat with the regular stereo and I own a Jetta with the Monsoon. I like the Monsoon better. It seems I had to turn up the radio alot more with the regular system than the Monsoon, and also that the sound was not as good. I am glad I got the option, which I did not originally want. If you listen to alot of music in the car, the Monsoon is definitely the way to go.
  • Options
    I'll be honest, I have a Jetta with cd and non-monsoon and I find myself to be a prety big audiophile. I wanted the Monsoon but had to do a little compromising for availability. I actually think the std stereo is very good and now that my cousin got Monsoon in his Jetta, I prefer mine over the Monsoon. I think the highs sound better and although Monsoon has more bass, I think the std bass is crisper(right grammar?)
  • Options
    but I agree with vocus bout volume. Monsoon goes LOUD without distorting, however I don't see the point because then the Jettas doors start buzing and rattling like crazy, at least mine and my cousins do.
  • Options
    That is not normal! My Jetta's doors do not start buzzing and rattling when you turn up the radio in my car. I have ~14K miles now. See the dealer about it.

I had this rattle in the dash, and my selling dealer service manager literally told me that I must have "mouse ears" and he could not find it. I took it to another dealer, and the tech (a VW fanatic) found the problem right away. It was fixed and that was that. :)
  • Options
    did you get the CD Player or Changer?
  • Options
    kumbilikumbili Member Posts: 1
    I purchased my car bra for my 99 Passat at www.carbra.com. It's only $89 plus shipping. Save the $40 for something else.
  • Options
    No changer changer just the standard cd player. I will put in a 12' sub first(infinity sub) with
    a phoenix gold amp to power it. I am looking for a box, this ones on the market seems bulky
    would like to find one that is both small and fits good w/o take up too much room. I will consider cd changer later. I've heard VW sound system requires an extra adapter cost $100 in order
    to hook up after market cd changer, but I also understand that the Passat is already pre-wired
    for a changer. You know??
  • Options
    It is pre-wired for the CD Changer, and look at
    the Infinty *BassLink*...
  • Options
    mehameha Member Posts: 2
    I'm looking to buy a Passat GLS 1.8T automatic within the next few weeks, and would appreciate any info other owners have on the price for this model in particular. I want to get it in black with the Emissions and Luxury Packages only, and I'll be looking in the LA area.

Can I get it for below the "official" invoice price, or even at the invoice minus holdback? Or do I have to settle for 2-3% above invoice.

And if you know of dealers in particular to go to or avoid, that'd be useful, too.
  • Options
    bartrbartr Member Posts: 5
    Timmons VW in Long Beach is where I purchased my 2002 1.8t / auto / lux .

Mike Coupland is the fleet / internet manager there, he sold me the car at $200 over invoice. I did everything over email and only met him when I picked uo the car.

He made things real easy, and found the exact car I wanted (color combo). If you go with him tell him Bart sent you.
  • Options
    lothallothal Member Posts: 3
    Has anyone recently bought a 2002 Passat 1.8T in the Bay Area and had a pleasant dealer experience? I am looking to purchase one in the next few weeks with leather package, monsoon, silverstone gray or reflex silver with black leather and tiptronic. The invoice cost is around 23,100 and MSRP is 25,200. What are the typical advertising and doc charges for the Bay Area?

Also, has there been any dealer discounts to move the 2002 models, since the new 2003 models are almost here?
  • Options
    raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    Prasenjit--inventories are starting to run low, perhaps you should consider starting your search for the car a bit sooner.

Yes, dealers are discounting, some close to invoice if you consider the ad fee, port prep and floor plan into the price.
  • Options
    o ive tried bout the rattles, sometimes thye get fixed, and others, murphy law wrks in, I get there after driving 30 minmutes to go to the "good" dealer and then it makes no noise! My luck, it has happened so much. My cousins car rattle and buzzed by the door locks etc in the first hours of getting the car. No use...
  • Options
    Just picked up my new Passat tonight black with grey leather, sunroof, luxury, monsoon.
    I got it for invoice, was offered at invoice. Dealer made money off the 2% holdback, and let me
    tell ya for the money you could not find a better car in terms of quality,style, and cool factor and
    this is billed as a family car. I am only 30 single no kid find this car to be as desireable as
    the Lexus GS 300 expect for $10K less. Dealer initially waived doc fee of $70 then later
    told me that since "they had to prepare title" bla bla bla so must charge the doc fee..you know
    your typical used car dealer trick to squeez every last dollar. I was not in the mood of mess with
    the measly $70 so I said let's do it. The sales guy felt "bad enough" to offer me a free VW
    hat and a initial oil change. Anyway I got the car I wanted. Please stick to what you think is
    fair money for the dealer, they do have to make some money. On this car they made about $500 off the true invoice(dealer invoice less 2% hold of base MRSP). That's fair and may even be generous. But some dealer only offer $500 to $1000 off sticker, WALK. Go to a dealer
    that is not an AUDI/VW combo or BMW/VW combo. Make you best offer then wait for their
    counter offer(usually still pretty high off your figure), finally counter offer only once more but
    no more then say $100 and get up get ready to leave. If you sit and sit tried get "your car"
    dealer in two second knew that you either must have the car or in love with it, you will cave in
    and pay hundreds and possiblly 1000s more. Walk, shop around, enjoy yourself, play with
    the dealer a little, you never know what they will do. In my case invoice was offered.
    One more tip, pick end of the month on a Saturday(big sale day usually, the day dealer considers very important to move IN STOCK units), and late in the afternoon when the dealer
    is pushing hard to make their day(quota for the month or sales contest). Be flexible, if you are
    willing to work with in stock units that's an extra motiviation factor for them to lower price to
    get rid the car even if it is a car that sells like a "hot cake", trust me at $20K-$30K plus nothing
    moves like hot cake, it is alot of money for everyday folks. Dealer will sell you a car anyday
    as long as there is even some money to be made. Again, relax enjoy yourself and remember
    YOU ARE IN CHARGE! You have the $$ and you have choices.
  • Options
    jtobittjtobitt Member Posts: 2
    I'm newly registered here, but have been researching the Passats for months. I'm nearly ready to bite on a GLX, thanks in part to your discussions.

My question is this: I'm planning on using the AAA pricing program for new autos. The "no negotiation needed" fee from the chosen dealer is $500 over invoice. Has anyone used the AAA program and have any thoughts on this service?

And while I'm here....does anyone know when the 2002 Clearance Sales will start? I sense I'm near the end of the 2002 line, and maybe if I wait another couple of weeks I can get a better deal?

Thanks,
    Jamie T
    San Diego
  • Options
    matkins2matkins2 Member Posts: 11
    Just checked on them and it looks like the only way to order 4 Motion system is on a GLX now!!(What a rip off for us Mountain people!!) Haven't got any prices yet though!!!
  • Options
    geo0791geo0791 Member Posts: 10
    Hello to all the Passat enthusiasts. I just purchased a 1992 Passat GL for my son. This is my first experience with Volkswagen and have some questions for you gurus of this model. Our car has the 4 speed auto with the 2.0 liter 134 hp engine. This car has 91,000 miles and looks like new. I am just not too sure about the power train characteristics. It seems to be turning a lot of rpms going down the x-press way at 70 mph. Are these things typical of the 4 cylinder engine?

1) Engine idles at about 1500 RPM
    2) Cruising at 70 MPH the RPMS are 3000.
    3) What engine oil should I use? Valvoline 10w-30?
    4) Have no idea what the maintenance has been,
    What should I be looking for?
    5) Timing belt replacement?

I would very much appreciate any input and helpful suggestions you all could give me as I am very ignorant regarding this vehicle. I will check here later or e-mail would be great too.

Thank you,
    Geo Johnson
    geo791@att.net
  • Options
    3000rpms is normal for a 4-cylinder automatic car at 70mph. The car sounds great. Check the owner's manual about timing belt replacement or ask your VW dealer.
  • Options
    I had trouble with the Jetta's rattles a couple times, and would not accept no for an answer. I went to a different dealer, and they found the problem (I thought). It still went on, and it was annoying. I wrote a letter to VWoA and called them, and took the car in one last time. They had a rep come from Michigan and check the car out. There was a little loose screw in the dash, that was the problem.
  • Options
    I had a V6 Passat (2001) as a loaner before, and it felt really slow to me. It doesn't have the throttle response of the 1.8T in my Jetta at all. So does the 1.8T "feel" faster in the Passat than the V6? Any comments?