Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GMC Yukon XL Normal Oil Usage?

Comments

• gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,086
    Hello Mbed5623,
    I did receive your email and did respond to your concern. Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
  • snwiresnwire Posts: 5
    My 2007 yukon xl Has this same problem and I told my dealership about it around 55,000 miles and they acted like I was crazy they said that they couldn't imagine why it would burn oil. so after I mentioned it a few times around 95000 miles I started pressing when I found the service bullitin on it. I informed them of it and they set me up to have all the work done and then called and cancelled saying they had to have the oil consumption test and when I was about to go over 100, 000 they said they would extend it while they did the test. I just hope they actually do something about.
  • beasstbeasst Posts: 9
    I bought my 2007 Yukon XL with 48k on it. It had just come off of lease so I figured it should have been in great shape. Every thing was going great until I was driving a the Low Oil Light came on????? I mean I have all the fluids changed as soon as I got it so it should have not been burning oil like that. I thought it was maybe a fluke so I added oil to get it up to where it should be and I checked it again on yesterday and the oil was down another quart all ready???!!!???!!!???!!! This is crazy! Not to mention this Stabilitrak Light keeps popping on and off for no apparent reason. I need a contact at GM because I bought this vehicle for my family and I need to speak with someone who can fix the issue asap.

I like :lemon: Lemons :lemon: but only in my Lemonade!!!!
  • kdl2471kdl2471 Posts: 10
    Guess what everyone, my add engine oil light came back on again last night. This mess has been going on for over a year. I called to the dealer this morning, because I was told if it came back on again to contact them and set up an appt. and not add oil that they would have to add the oil themselves for a consumption test after I have had a log written down for over a year of when I had to add oil like they told me too. Well Rob in the service department tells me to go ahead and add the oil that there is going to be a recall issued in July to repair lifters. I can't wait to see if this happens or not. I really love my yukon, but I am really considering finding it a new home for it, this mess is getting aggervating and I'm tired of them acting like I'm an idiot at the dealership.
    OK, So I get a call from GM Customer Care this morning and I spoke with Yhel, the customer Rep. I explain the situation to her, as if they don't know about it and she tries to tell me my vehicle is out of warranty? LOL, Ummmmm NO. I explained to her that the parts mentioned fall under the Powertrain Warranty so it is under warranty. GM is soooooooooo defensive about this matter but I think I may just go ahead and get myself a lawyer to move this situation along, I don't have time to play with GM.

I like :lemon: lemons :lemon: but only in Lemonade!
    Hello Beasst,
    I apologize that you are experiencing an issue with your vehicle. Have you had anyone diagnose the concerns on your vehicle? You can have an oil consumption test done at the dealership to see whether your vehicle is operating within specs or not. Thank you,
    edited June 2010
    gmcustsvc,

Thanks and no need for an apology. I just hate it when the GM Reps get defensive and you are only trying to convey a real issue that you and others are having.

I called the GM dealership near me and they explained that I would have to have the oil changed there and come back to the dealership every 1000 miles to have the levels checked. The service rep said that after 3000k the oil level was low they would do it again to see if it is happening every time.

The problem is:

1. I don't live near a GM Dealership
    2. Going back every 1000 miles will be a pain and very time consuming
    3. I don't drive my truck that much so going 3000 miles will take some time.

The Rep also stated they could check my Stabilitrak while in was in the shop then they tell me I can't bring it in until the 12th of July?!!!

Meanwhile my Stabilitrak is going BANANAS. This is CRAZY!

Question: I bought my Yukon when it came back off lease, so that would mean GM did all the service on this vehicle, How can I get a history report from GM on my vehicle's service history? I want to see if these problems have been reported before and they are just on going issues.

I love :lemon: lemons :lemon: but only in Lemonade
    Hello Beasst,
    The dealership it was leased from would have performed all the maintenance and fixed any problems that may have arised with the vehicle. They would have the detailed history report of what has been taken care of with the vehicle. If you want to email me your VIN I can look into what has been done with the vehicle. You can get my email by clicking on my name. As far as the oil consumption test that is unfortunately how they have to do it. I understand that you live far away from the dealership but, in order for them to determine how the vehicle is operating that is the test they have to perform. If you have any further questions please let me know. Thank you,
  • rayfloydrayfloyd Posts: 5
    edited June 2010
    If it makes you feel better, I have a GM Certified 2008 Suburban LTZ that has the same problem at 34K miles. Brought it in to the dealer due to a rough idle, only to find out that it had oil in the #1 cylinder that foulded the plug. Today, the oil consumption test shows 2 quarts lost in 600 miles and is back to a rough idle. Dealer says they are waiting on a fix from GM, but nothing they can do about it now.

I feel like I should not be driving a car that pollutes 2 quarts of oil....every 600 miles.
    WOW, 2 Quarts in 600 Miles, that is freaking crazy! Well I took mine into the shop today and was out of over 400 to have a senor in my right front tire fixed. I was told that was throwing my stabilitrak off. And I started the Oil Consumption test. The dealer told me that you should not use more than 1 quart between oil changes.

2 Quarts in 600 miles is UN_SAT!

Thanks Again.......... Mariah GM Customer Service
    Hello Beasst,
    You're welcome!
    - Mariah GM Customer Service
    Back to rough idling today.

Looks like I will be stopping by the dealer to fill up with oil and top off the gas.... and change a plug. What does a NASCAR pit crew rent for?
    Does GM have a spec that says you can go X-amount of miles before you burn a quart of oil? If so What do they say?
    :sick: According to #01-06-01-011F: Information on Engine Oil Consumption Guidelines (Jan13,2009) - the GM accepted rate of oil consumption for engines in cars and trucks (less than 8500 LB GVW) is one quart per 2000 miles. There are exeptions for non-agressive driving, towing, high RPMs, maintenance....

2 quarts in 600-700 miles, I thought, would be a no-brainer qualification for a drastic fix for my suburban.

Massive if you think about it. If GM sold 500,000 SUVs (a portion of all their business) and each burned 1 quart every 2000 miles, and with a driver having an average of 12,000 miles a year -- my math says we would have 750,000 gallons of oil somewhere we don't want. Throw in my 2008 suburban at 2 quarts every 600-700 miles, which I am trying not to drive, and GM and I would be responsible for over 8 gallons a year (at its current unfixed state).
    I think I am going to go to the dealer this week and try to negotiate on the purchase of a new suburban (not likely to have an oil leak). I may get a deal that works -which would be great, or at least I will then know what the new trade in value (damage to the value) is. Might come in handy later. :lemon:
    Scratch that. I want a GL450 - at least the cost is upfront. I think gmoilspill.com is an available domain name...
    Now that my oil consumption test is over my dealership realizes there is a problem. and it is scheduled to go in next week. hope they are able to fix it because I love my Yukon other than it's oil problem. My Yukons name is Yukon Ron
  • Any update on the recall that you mentioned? I am taking mine in tomorrow and don't have the time for the run-around that other people have described.

I will sell the car instead of going through endless oil consumption test bs.
    I carried the car back in on Tuesday because once again the oil light came on, also with the check engine light. My last post on this site was on June 21st and the car had 79550 miles on it and I was told to go ahead and add oil, which was 2 quarts, and then the bs about the recall was told to me. On Sunday the 11th the oil light came back on, the car then had 81005 miles on it. Well I had all I could take of this mess so I called there and told just add the oil from a sassy service manager. I got in the car and drove an hour to get to the dealership and told them I was tired of adding oil to go ahead and do the consumption test or whatever they were gonna to. On the way to the dealer my wife noticed when she was scrolling through the info system that in only had 389.1 engine hours on it and the car has 81000 miles and she like that don't make much sense to me. So she called her mother she has a 2007 yukon xl also, with 61000 and her engine hours said 1350. So when I got to the dealer I asked about this also and the service manager, very rudely and arragoantly said I guess you've changed your display out. I'm like why in the world would I want to do that and I wouldn't know how to do it. I told them that if that piece of junk had not been paid for I would leave it sitting in their parking lot. The car has been there for 2 days, I got a call yesterday that the engine light was a valve problem no covered under warranty and would probably be around $500.00 to fix. I told them to fix it because that baby is gonna find a new home when I get it back. This is my wife's car and she loves it, but I'm over it and tired of getting the run around from the dealership, while they wait for the 100000 mile warranty to run out.
  • headgame01headgame01 Posts: 15
    I would not pay anything for a Valve issue. There is a bulletin on the Valve stems getting nicks in them and that causes the leak. They replaced my heads to try to fix that. I also had the PVC replaced, the Valve covers cleaned out, and new rings and bearings put in. It appears they have now fixed my oil issue.

But I would not pay for them to fix the Valves as that is not likely to fix it anyway. Because you are still under the 100K mile warrenty.

Let us know how things go.
  • r3woodr3wood Posts: 1
    Wow. I was just about to purchase a 2007 Yukon XL SLT with 38,000 miles on it. After reading all of these posts, I am going to pass :(. Has anyone narrowed down the mfg. dates of the defective engines? Are there any of the 2007 Yukon XL 's that don't use oil?

As far as a spec. for a vehicle to use oil, what a joke. I have a 2004 Yukon XL with 70,000 miles. I don't change the oil for 7,500 miles, and only check it once, usually when it is getting towards 5,000, never a problem. In fact, my Audi and my Honda Civic don't use oil, at all. My old GMC Envoy never used a drop.

I hope the people on here can get the issue resolved. :(
  • i too have a 2007 yukon with 66,000 miles and i am having a major problem with the oil usage. i have took the car to the dealer for the so called oil consum. test. however, both times i have found the car over filled with oil after the oil change by at least 1 quart. anyone guess why this may be??? my vechile is using about 1.5 to 2 quarts every oil change. i have talked to gm custmer service several times nothing has been done yet. most of the time upon calling gm i never get a call back. not the kind of service i thought i would get when buying this vechile. i have to say i very upset and would like to know what i can do about this issue?????
    Hello Upset_Owner,
    I apologize that no one has gotten back with you. Can you email me your case number or VIN so I can look further into the situation? You can get my email by clicking on gmcustsvc. Thank you,
    I just don't understand why a recall can not be done on these yukons. This is not just one or two cars doing this. Just on this post there a quite a few of us having problems.
    Now that my dealership says they have fixed the problem, how do I know it's fixed unless we do another oil consumption test? Should I ask dealership to do one?
    What did your dealership do to your car? I'm still waiting on that recall I was told was going to take place at the end of July or in August. The only thing I got was a recall about the chrome on the door handles.
    I don't know much about cars but it had to do with lifters? I have had the door handle problem and paid to have the passenger side replaced a couple of years ago a few weeks ago I cut myself on the drivers side door handle but I am now over 100.000 miles
  • I too have a 2007 Yukon with an oil consumption problem that GMC is not taking serious. Only have 55,000 miles on it. It began about 40,000 miles. Oil consumption test has been done and all they will tell me is it is acceptable based on GM oil consumption standards to have to add a quart of oil to it every 1000 to 1500 miles. I do not find this acceptable. The dealer just keeps saying the same thing. All service has been done by the dealer.Please advise with me.
  • I can tell you that if the oil consumption is 1qt or more for every 1K miles, it is not considered normal. As a matter of fact there are service bulletins that even show you this. If you read other posts here you will find out the SB number. GM even says 1 qt for 1K miles is not acceptable.

I had the very same issue and had to work through several fixes before they finally got it to stop using oil. There is a GM rep on this site that says she will help but I do not have any personal experience with her. Call GM customer service and start your ride. They will order an oil consumption test. Then if it fails then you will get to try one of the many fixes they try. I had a new PVC, then they cleaned out my Valve covers, then new heads, then they finally put in new pistons, rings, and rod bearings. It has been about two oil changes since then and it appears to have zero oil consumption now.

This took almost a year to complete and alot of my time to get it done. Good Luck. Remember the squeeky wheel gets the oil.
  • Well after all the oil consumptions, customer complaints to GM, and a promise of a fix this summer that never came, I finally ended up trading my 2007 Yukon XL to a Ford Expedition Limited EL which I actually like better. I was very discouraged by the lack of service from GM. They refused to fix the issue. When I finally traded my Yukon XL had 78,000 miles. It was nearing the end of my warranty so I felt it was better to get out while the getting was still good. However I will definitely not be purchasing another GM Product in the future!