Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GMC Yukon XL Normal Oil Usage?

Comments

• k2yukonk2yukon Posts: 1
    hello

I have had the same problems with my yukon and am at he same place you were with the engine out and they are going to put pistons and rings in it, but they can't find the parts. I was just wondering if the gave u any information about the procedure number they were working under so i can get my dealer to to the same
    thx
  • gmcannoyedgmcannoyed Posts: 2
    I just emailed you. I hope some light is shed on this problem. This is crazy, the only thing GM is doing at this point is an oil consumption test....sorry that seems useless as a "fix" at this point. :mad:
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,055
    Hello Gmcannoyed,
    They have to do that test in order to see how much your vehicle is consuming, and whether it is/not within specs for the vehicle. That is just a step they have to follow to see what is going on with the vehicle. Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
  • headgame01headgame01 Posts: 15
    I had to the same thing. (Oil Consumption test) They have to do this so they can confirm that the engine is using oil. I have been through 4 oil consumption test after they try one fix. I have had the PVC valve done with the clean out of the valve covers, New heads, and now the new Pistons, Rings, and rod barrings.

I am now starting to experience an issue with the idle on my Yukon XL. I have to have another oil consumption test hear soon.
  • cotton3cotton3 Posts: 3
    I have a 2007 GMC Yukon XL which has been using oil since around 39,000miles also. I have made the voyage to the dealer every 3000miles since and it has used at least 1quart every oil change, now I'm up to 1 1/2-2quarts. They have tried multiple replacements, at least 5 different times with no success,some being overnight or up to 4days giving me nothing to drive in its place. I am now at 70,200miles and was finally forced to call the complaint line today to officially start a case. It is sad that GMC would not just go ahead and correct the problem. I love my Yukon but fear that the problem will not be resolved before the end of the warranty. It appears to be a widespread problem because I live in a small town and I know of at least 3others that are doing the same thing. When I go to the dealer the Technician will say "Now which one is this? ,What have we tried on it so far?"
    From what I am reading on here the only thing that will correct the problem would be a replacement engine!
  • hurldog65hurldog65 Posts: 5
    I would like to share with you a disappointing experience with one of the GM certified vehicles. My wife and i recently purchased a GM Certified 2007 GMC Yukon XL . After driving the vehicle for 2months approx. 2500miles, there was an onboard message to add oil, oil level low. The indication on the vehicle was 66% life in the oil at the time. I checked the cold level of the oil, and it was extremely low on the dip stick, as well as a deep brown color. I took it back to the dealer, and proceeded to have them look at it for diagnosis. About 1 and 1/2 hours later they come out and tell me the industry standard is that the truck can burn 1 quart of oil in that time frame and it is acceptable. Now, my wife transports 1 1/2 yr old and a 3 1/2 yr old and drives to work. That is what we use this vehicle for. No hauling or towing is involved, which then i would except the facts as they may be. After telling me about the quart of oil, they proceeded to tell me that they will watch my vehicle every time i bring it in. Does this mean i have to bring in my vehicle every 2500 miles for an oil change? I am not sure that this is the Image GM would like to have for there vehicles. After telling me this, he handed me a bill for my oil change as well. Which after some persuasion from myself, i was able to have him rescind the bill for the oil change.
    In conclusion, i believe that the oil change may have been missed upon final inspection of the vehicle before sale. I think that they may have billed it out correctly , but may not have performed it. With the oil level low, and the dark coloration, that is what i conclude. I would like to know if the customer should receive the print out of work completed on the vehicle for the GMCertified inspections. We did not receive anything of such nature. The gas tank was at about 1/8th capacity, which i know full is "recommended" and i did not expect full, but 1/8th? Also, the inside of the vehicle was the same as when we test drove it, not detailed or vacuumed once more. I do worry about other things that may not of happened in the preparation of the vehicle that i may have issues with later. I do like GM products, and have had several, one which i had purchased from this same dealer. After my experience, i don't believe i can go back to them for service or sale of another vehicle. I believe i can take my vehicle to any certified dealer for service during the warranty time. I spent a lot of money, almost 29500.00 to be exact on this vehicle, and was very disappointed in the evaluation, and treatment of the situation that had occured. To tell me they will keep an eye on it, yet charge me for an oil change that according to my vehicle said 66% life on one screen, and low level add oil on another. To me this sounds like they had no idea, and changed the oil to see if it will happen again. Not a very secure feeling for a huge investment to me and my family. I hope GM reads these posts, and will try to make things right. After reading some of these other post, my troubles may be just beginning. Good luck to all involved. Thank you for taking the time to listen to my complaint.
  • hurldog65hurldog65 Posts: 5
    To whom it may concern,
    I would like to share with you a disappointing experience with one of your GM certified vehicles. My wife and i recently purchased a GM Certified 2007 GMC Yukon XL from Amesbury Chevrolet in Amesbury,MA. After driving the vehicle for 2months approx. 2500miles, there was an onboard message to add oil, oil level low. The indication on the vehicle was 66% life in the oil at the time. I checked the cold level of the oil, and it was extremely low on the dip stick, as well as a deep brown color. I took it back to the dealer, adn proceeded to have them look at it for diagnosis. About 1 and 1/2 hours later they come out and tell me the industry standard is that the truck can burn 1 quart of oil in that time frame and it is acceptable. Now, my wife transports 1 1/2 yr old and a 3 1/2 yr old and drives to work. That is what we use this vehicle for. No hauling or towing is involved, which then i would except the facts as they may be. After telling me about the quart of oil, they proceeded to tell me that they will watch my vehicle every time i bring it in. Does this mean i have to bring in my vehicle every 2500 miles for an oil change? I am not sure that this is the Image GM would like to have for there vehicles. After telling me this, he handed me a bill for my oil change as well. Which after some persuasion from myself, i was able to have him rescind the bill for the oil change.
    In conclusion, i believe that the oil change may have been missed upon final inspection of the vehicle before sale. I think that they may have billed it out correctly , but may not have performed it. With the oil level low, and the dark coloration, that is what i conclude. I would like to know if the customer should receive the print out of work completed on the vehicle for the GMCertified inspections. We did not receive anything of such nature. The gas tank was at about 1/8th capacity, which i know full is "recommended" and i did not expect full, but 1/8th? Also, the inside of the vehicle was the same as when we test drove it, not detailed or vacuumed once more. I do worry about other things that may not of happened in the preparation of the vehicle that i may have issues with later. I do like GM products, and have had several, one which i had purchased from this same dealer. After my experience, i don't believe i can go back to them for service or sale of another vehicle. I believe i can take my vehicle to any certified dealer for service during the warranty time. I spent a lot of money, almost 29500.00 to be exact on this vehicle, and was very disappointed in the evaluation, and treatment of the situation that had occured. To tell me they will keep an eye on it, yet charge me for an oil change that accordind to my vehicle said 66% life on one screen, and low level add oil on another. To me this sounds like they had no idea, and changed the oil to see if it will happen again. Not a very secure feeling for a huge investment to me and my family. Thank you for taking the time to listen to my complaint.
    My only hope is that GM will protect people like me inthe long run to preserve the quality of there vehicles. It seems from these posts that others are having severe issues, and mine are just starting. Do you know of any protocol or recall on these engines?
  • mbed5623mbed5623 Posts: 1
    Mariah, I am experiencing the same problem. My last two oil changes are requiring 2 - 3 quarts of oil to be added before 5000 miles and before the computer oil life reaches the "change" level. Wife drives three little kids everyday to school and activities, no towing or heavy duty activity. I was about to take it in to the dealer and ask all the questions I have seen here and on other discussion sites. Is their anything I can say to the dealer to cut to the chase? I bought the full B to B ext warranty for an extra 4 years when I bought the car so I am still years within the warranty. Truth is I took the warranty because I was always a Honda/Toyota/Nissan buyer, was always worried about buying from the U.S. Big 3. Need the right thing done here or I may go back.

Thanks
  • cotton3cotton3 Posts: 3
    Yesterday I spoke with the District Manager who pretty much said there was nothing GMC could do at this point than to see if the top engine cleaner they used last week works. I ask how cleaning the engine will help with oil being held in the intake! What needs to happen is that they replace my Engine!
    I guess I will have to call and complain every 3000 miles when oil must be added to my engine or get a good lawyer since GMC is refusing to address this issue! They said my service department didn't recommend replacing my engine but my service department says they cant replace my engine without approval from GMC!
    My friends who also own a 2007 Yukon & a 2007 Suburban are also having the same problem with theirs! Come on GMC, just fix them!
  • kdl2471kdl2471 Posts: 10
    I just do not understand why GM does not issue a recall on these vehicles. I have been having this problem with my yukon for a year now. I was told last June to keep a log of when we had to add oil, how much oil was added, and the miles on the car when the oil was added. This goes on about every 2500 miles. Every time I would call the service department they would tell me just to write it down in the log. I carried my yukon back to the dealer in May because I am getting tired of this run around we are getting from the dealer. After they change the oil they come out and tell me that the next time the light comes on to bring it right back in to them, keep in mind that I live an hour away from the dealership and I get nervous driving a car that has a light saying add oil, they, the dealer, needs to document the oil problem. GM needs their documentation not mine, the service manager said that GM would not take my word on this. I am getting tired of this and the service department acts like you are an idiot when you tell them what is going on, along with the line "It's normal for this type of car to use oil", if that's the case then why isn't the yukon my mother owns doing the same thing. I really think that they are going to give me the run around until the 100,000 mile warranty is up.
    Hello Mbed5623,
    I did receive your email and did respond to your concern. Thank you,
  • snwiresnwire Posts: 5
    My 2007 yukon xl Has this same problem and I told my dealership about it around 55,000 miles and they acted like I was crazy they said that they couldn't imagine why it would burn oil. so after I mentioned it a few times around 95000 miles I started pressing when I found the service bullitin on it. I informed them of it and they set me up to have all the work done and then called and cancelled saying they had to have the oil consumption test and when I was about to go over 100, 000 they said they would extend it while they did the test. I just hope they actually do something about.
  • beasstbeasst Posts: 9
    I bought my 2007 Yukon XL with 48k on it. It had just come off of lease so I figured it should have been in great shape. Every thing was going great until I was driving a the Low Oil Light came on????? I mean I have all the fluids changed as soon as I got it so it should have not been burning oil like that. I thought it was maybe a fluke so I added oil to get it up to where it should be and I checked it again on yesterday and the oil was down another quart all ready???!!!???!!!???!!! This is crazy! Not to mention this Stabilitrak Light keeps popping on and off for no apparent reason. I need a contact at GM because I bought this vehicle for my family and I need to speak with someone who can fix the issue asap.

I like :lemon: Lemons :lemon: but only in my Lemonade!!!!
  • kdl2471kdl2471 Posts: 10
    Guess what everyone, my add engine oil light came back on again last night. This mess has been going on for over a year. I called to the dealer this morning, because I was told if it came back on again to contact them and set up an appt. and not add oil that they would have to add the oil themselves for a consumption test after I have had a log written down for over a year of when I had to add oil like they told me too. Well Rob in the service department tells me to go ahead and add the oil that there is going to be a recall issued in July to repair lifters. I can't wait to see if this happens or not. I really love my yukon, but I am really considering finding it a new home for it, this mess is getting aggervating and I'm tired of them acting like I'm an idiot at the dealership.
    OK, So I get a call from GM Customer Care this morning and I spoke with Yhel, the customer Rep. I explain the situation to her, as if they don't know about it and she tries to tell me my vehicle is out of warranty? LOL, Ummmmm NO. I explained to her that the parts mentioned fall under the Powertrain Warranty so it is under warranty. GM is soooooooooo defensive about this matter but I think I may just go ahead and get myself a lawyer to move this situation along, I don't have time to play with GM.

I like :lemon: lemons :lemon: but only in Lemonade!
    Hello Beasst,
    I apologize that you are experiencing an issue with your vehicle. Have you had anyone diagnose the concerns on your vehicle? You can have an oil consumption test done at the dealership to see whether your vehicle is operating within specs or not. Thank you,
    edited June 2010
    gmcustsvc,

Thanks and no need for an apology. I just hate it when the GM Reps get defensive and you are only trying to convey a real issue that you and others are having.

I called the GM dealership near me and they explained that I would have to have the oil changed there and come back to the dealership every 1000 miles to have the levels checked. The service rep said that after 3000k the oil level was low they would do it again to see if it is happening every time.

The problem is:

1. I don't live near a GM Dealership
    2. Going back every 1000 miles will be a pain and very time consuming
    3. I don't drive my truck that much so going 3000 miles will take some time.

The Rep also stated they could check my Stabilitrak while in was in the shop then they tell me I can't bring it in until the 12th of July?!!!

Meanwhile my Stabilitrak is going BANANAS. This is CRAZY!

Question: I bought my Yukon when it came back off lease, so that would mean GM did all the service on this vehicle, How can I get a history report from GM on my vehicle's service history? I want to see if these problems have been reported before and they are just on going issues.

I love :lemon: lemons :lemon: but only in Lemonade
    Hello Beasst,
    The dealership it was leased from would have performed all the maintenance and fixed any problems that may have arised with the vehicle. They would have the detailed history report of what has been taken care of with the vehicle. If you want to email me your VIN I can look into what has been done with the vehicle. You can get my email by clicking on my name. As far as the oil consumption test that is unfortunately how they have to do it. I understand that you live far away from the dealership but, in order for them to determine how the vehicle is operating that is the test they have to perform. If you have any further questions please let me know. Thank you,
  • rayfloydrayfloyd Posts: 5
    edited June 2010
    If it makes you feel better, I have a GM Certified 2008 Suburban LTZ that has the same problem at 34K miles. Brought it in to the dealer due to a rough idle, only to find out that it had oil in the #1 cylinder that foulded the plug. Today, the oil consumption test shows 2 quarts lost in 600 miles and is back to a rough idle. Dealer says they are waiting on a fix from GM, but nothing they can do about it now.

I feel like I should not be driving a car that pollutes 2 quarts of oil....every 600 miles.
    WOW, 2 Quarts in 600 Miles, that is freaking crazy! Well I took mine into the shop today and was out of over 400 to have a senor in my right front tire fixed. I was told that was throwing my stabilitrak off. And I started the Oil Consumption test. The dealer told me that you should not use more than 1 quart between oil changes.

2 Quarts in 600 miles is UN_SAT!

Thanks Again.......... Mariah GM Customer Service