Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GMC Yukon XL Normal Oil Usage?

Comments

• gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,082
    patrick53,
    An oil consumption test is the first step to see if it’s in an acceptable range. Have you asked another dealers opinion?
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • yukonsuxyukonsux Posts: 5
    My 07 yukon is in the shop right now for this. The dealer used to tell me it was acceptable. Then in Nov they called out of the blue and said they had a fix. Installed the shield and thought that would fix it however just a few months and on oil change later my light is back on. They don't know what they are are going to do but are now at least attempting to fix. I bought this truck brand new and it has been well taken care of and wanted to drive it ten years or so. They are looking into the motor slowly and cautiously I understand. I will update you when I get my truck back. They did at least give me 10 yukon to drive for free.
    greatlakes_veh,
    Can you please email me your case number? I would like to look into this for you.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    yukonsux,
    Any updates on your situation? Hope all is going well!
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • yukonsuxyukonsux Posts: 5
    Dealer called me in Nov and wanted us to bring it in for a fix. The oil pan shield thing. It was installed and less than 3000 miles the light was back on. I called and they had me it in, gave me yukon to drive. They cleaned some parts and some research. Advised me bring it back when it gets to 1450 more miles so they can check something. They are at least trying to fix it.
  • Mariah,

I'm having a double problem with my 2007 5.3L Yukon…..excessive oil consumption and the complete loss of oil pressure (anytime under any condition) even though the engine is only a half quart low.

As with everyone else, the dealer is throwing theoretical fixes at a problem that GM has not performed root cause identification on. No less than three fixes have been thrown at my engine so far.

My issue is the safety of my wife and five children in the event the engine seizes up, there is a loss of power steering & brakes, and my wife or teenager is driving. I have been advised to ask my dealer to provide written documentation that the engine problem in my Yukon has been permanently rectified and that no harm will come to my family in the event of engine failure and subsequent loss of power during operation of our warranted vehicle.

My vehicle is at Frank Boucher in Racine at this moment. As of yesterday, the service adviser could/would not assure me or root cause identification or safety.
    57mechanic,

By chance, have you contacted GM Customer Assistance via phone?

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • Yes I have. GM service request # 74-941785630 with the safety of my family being tantamount. Awaiting a return call today after 2 PM CST.

Picked up my Yukon from the dealer yesterday. An oil screen in the intake manifold was replaced along with a set of lifters on one side.
    Synopsis per the serviceman was: "engine problem undefined" "drive it and let us know if it acts up again" "GM dictates the progression of repairs and will not pay us if we jump ahead and simply replace the motor" "99% of the time replacing the piston rings does it" "can't guarranty what will happen if engine fails during operation".

General service note: before leaving the dealer, opened the hood to find the engine cowling cover loose and off to the side! Had to have the serviceman look at it, and have a technician come out to re-install. Looked under the car to find many fresh Oil droplets under the frame. Asked the serviceman to look at it, which he didn't. "Yeah, they had the whole top off and you'll get that. "
    57mechanic,

Please keep me posted after you do talk with your agent this afternoon. Also, please provide the VIN to your agent so it can be added to your case.

Thank you,
  • tyomadtyomad Posts: 7
    edited May 2011
    Yes and he told me that I didn't buy it there so there was nothing they could do because I didn't buy it from them. Never heard of such a thing...
  • tyomadtyomad Posts: 7
    Well...finally got it fixed a month or so ago...traded it in for a Nissan Armada. Better fuel economy, 25% more towing capacity, nicer features, and doesn't eat oil. Fixed it right good. Even traded my Silverado for a Maxima. Telling everyone I know to stay away from 2006 or later Yukons (if they ask).
  • Well, I posted on her back in Oct 2010 (#67) regarding our 1st incident with our 2007 GMC Yukon XL 1500 which we had to take in because the engine blew pistons/rods due to chronic low oil levels which were not being addressed/taken quite as serious as needed by the dealer. I was consistently told it wasn't an issue until one day the vehicle began "slipping" as I was traveling with my two little girls, making it extremely dangerous to drive. The engine began to make a loud knocking noise followed by black smoke that billowed out of the engine block. The dealer told me it was a problem with this particular vehicle, GM was aware of it, but not recalling it. They are "fixing" it. Therefore, I got a rental for a number of days until they "fixed" the problem.
    Well, wouldn't you know it!!!! About one month ago, April of 2011, our Low Oil light came on yet again!!!!! Yes, AGAIN. Took it in. The dealer didn't blink an eye, gave us a rental and said it was most likely related to the same problem again, without even LOOKING at the vehicle. Once again - IT WAS. This time - they had to replace more parts!!! I was told this was the "second tier" of "fixing the problem" before they would actually replace the whole engine. I asked what would happen should I have ANOTHER problem and I was told they would more than likely have to replace the engine........fast forward to this week.
    I have been noticing a horrible smell coming from my vehicle so I made an appointment and they looked at it today. Wouldn't you know it - NOW I have a problem with my transmission and oil/leaking!!! Yes, it is all covered under warranty......BUT..........here is where I have become disgusted, simply disgusted with GMC.
    Why are they NOT simply replacing these engines I do not understand! To me, it is very clear that the engine has been less than quality since the day it was put in. What really upsets me is when an engine is running with parts that are NOT working correctly, it is causing other parts to OVERWORK. Whats to say that once all these "problems" are fixed, the parts that have been working really hard to make up for the parts that weren't doing their jobs will then give out??????? And by that time, my warranty will be OUT! We are at about 75000 miles right now. I feel that my engine was compromised after the FIRST major problem presented itself and was fixed! Now, we are on our third major problem!
    I could see if we were one of a few people experiencing this type of problem with our vehicle, but reading through this thread, as well as many other posts out there on the world wide web, it appears there are MANY, MANY people experiencing this problem!! How GMC can think just putting a Band-Aid on these issues is okay blows my mind!!!!
    We have always LOVED GMC and swore to always be GMC owners. (Our next vehicle was to be the Acadia, once our second car was ready to be upgraded). What I see of GMC backing their product now, I have NO desire to continue being a loyal customer of theirs, and many of my family and friends are feeling the same after seeing what we are going through! It is a complete and utter shame how they are treating their customers. We were never happier the day we bought our GMC Yukon, I would have NEVER thought it would have ever been one of the worst decisions we could have made!
    unsettledowner,
    I apologize for your frustrations. Have you spoke with Customer Assistance? Has your dealer involved Technical Assistance? I look forward to your response. Have a great weekend!
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • bobg76bobg76 Posts: 6
    What kind of deal was the dealer willing to work with you for the Armada or was the Nissan dealership not at all associated with the GM dealership?

What was the trade in value?
  • Christina,

No, I have not. Is there direct contact information you can provide in order for us to do so? Currently we have been advised to work only through our dealership and we have followed that advice since we purchased our vehicle brand new in 2007. We have only used our ONE dealership for all the work done on our vehicle.

Thank you in advance!
    unsettledowner,
    There is a 800 number in the Owner Manual for Customer Assistance. I am also able to set up a case with Customer Assistance for you. If you would like me to do so, please email me with your full name, complete contact information, VIN, current mileage, and involved dealer. I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • Christina,

I am not sure how to simply reply to you privately with that information. If you could direct me to your actual email address I will gladly email that to you!

Thank you!
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 28,644
    Click on the member name and it will take you to their profile.. If they have marked their e-mail address as public, you will see it there.

regards,
    kyfdx

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• bobg76bobg76 Posts: 6
    It's time to do some "lemon law" research on this oil consumption issue with 2007 Yukons!
  • Well, the Lemon Law would NOT even begin to cover it!!!! AFTER my above post regarding it going in for the third engine fix in April of 2011, we traveled to Wisconsin with the family. While there, yup, you guessed it ONCE AGAIN, LOW OIL LEVEL light! Checked oil and found there was little to no oil yet again. (AND THIS WAS AFTER I WAS ALL BUT GUARANTEED MY ENGINE NEEDED NO REPLACEMENT AND WOULD BE FIXED!!!!). So, I took it to a GMC dealer in WI and was told, "Well, since we are all independent dealers, we cannot just take over and fix your engine issues, you would have to have an oil change, then drive it 3000 miles, THEN we could reassess the oil consumption problem and contact GM to see what they wanted to do".........WHAT THE HECK??????? So here I am, In WI with a 2007 GMC vehicle I bought BRAND NEW for over 47000.00 three years ago, have had the engine worked on/fixed three times already, the transmission fixed once, and now I am in Wisconsin and my engine is STILL BURNING OIL, but the Certified GM dealer is telling me to drive it 3000 miles again before they can even assess what will be done???? What the heck is that doing TO my engine in the first place????? Well, either way, having no choice, I had to continue to fill it with oil until I got back home to TN and then took it into MY dealer where I was certain, after being fixed THREE TIMES already, they would certainly put in a new engine, right??????????????? WRONG>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> yet another band-aid.....let's try to change out something else in the engine......and Miss, we are SURE this will fix the problem!!! (I have heard this now for about two of my three years of ownership now and have had about enough!). In addition to the engine problem (and the transmission that had to be fixed four months ago) they also had to replace my Alternator this time too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I CANNOT believe this vehicle even passed an initial inspection personally!!!!!

I did in fact finally contact GM customer service, start a case number, but at this point I see it as having little to no effect on them. I have not heard back from them and was told to go ahead and pick my vehicle back up, which I did. Honestly, I am so upset as my husband, with GM, that having to drive the vehicle at this point is upsetting. My husband is a United States Soldier and has been overseas numerous times already. Prior to this vehicle "I" have had, in order, a Mitsubishi, Isuzu, Honda, Huyndai, and before this we had a Nissan Quest. I LOVED all of them, and had no problems at all!!!

Now, my husband decided to buy us the GMC with the intention to put me in what we thought would be a SAFE RELIABLE vehicle!!!! When he is gone he does not want me to have to contend with any major vehicle issues, knowing I have plenty of other things to handle. He also liked the idea of the GMC because he felt his wife and daughters would be safe if we are driving across the US to see family!!! Well, GMC has failed us at every turn so far. We have gotten ANYTHING BUT since our purchase of THIS PARTICULAR vehicle! Now, if they would BACK their vehicle and do a recall, I would back their company, but so far, all I see them doing it patching the problems until my warranty runs out (which is now less than a year left).

I am just really having a hard time digesting that I purchased a 2007 GMC Yukon XL 1500 Flex Fuel vehicle for over 47000 which now has about 47000 miles and it has had:

FOUR major engine repairs
    ONE repair to the transmission
    REPLACEMENT of Alternator (Prior to that two battery replacements)

YET THERE IS NO RECALL?????????????????????????????????????????
  • I've driven Suburbans since 1972 (9 of them), but I will NEVER buy another GM vehicle again! Only FORD had enough sense to tell the OBamians to take their bailout and shove it! That's where I'm headed... :mad:
  • I have a problem with 2008 Suburban. The low pressure oil light went on with no warnings. Took it to my mechanic. He said under warranty go back to dealer. Dealer replaced a ring. again, low pressure light went on. Husband added 3 quarts of oil 5000 miles. dealer said acceptable usage. I sent chevy an email. dealer changed oil which I paid. came back 1200 miles. The morning of the appointment I had my husband check the oil it was down 3 notches. When the dealer checked the same day they said it was down a 1/4 of a quart. Who do you believe?????? I am not imaging the oil pressure light coming on. This is annoying. My 2003 Suburban was a complete lemon. I had to pay for numerous repairs and now this problem. They just replaced the 2008 transmission. I feel like I'm getting yanked. 3 times low oil pressure. I want Chevy to step up and own this problem. We have 3 chevy and this one will be my last if they make good on this problem.
    skiracer,
    Has your dealer done an oil consumption test? If not, I would recommend asking them to do so. Feel free to email me your complete contact information, VIN, current mileage, and involved dealer. I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • Experiencing similar with 2007 Yukon xl. Now. 40,000 miles later and 4 different warranty related fixes, still consuming oil. I've heard similar from dealer that 1qt/2000 miles is normal, but this was not the case with my previous xl, suburban and tahoe.
    bobg76,
    The accepted rate of oil consumption for engines used in the vehicles referenced is 0.946 liter (1 qt) in 3200 km (2000 mi). Important: This rate only applies to personal use vehicles, under warranty, that are driven in a non-aggressive manner and maintained in accordance with the appropriate maintenance schedule, with less than 58,000 km (36,000 mi), or driven at legal speeds in an unloaded (for trucks) condition. Important: This rate does not apply to vehicles that are driven in an aggressive manner, at high RPM, high speeds, or in a loaded condition (for trucks). Oil consumption for vehicles driven under these conditions will be more.
    Please email me with any other questions comments or concerns.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • yuck_on_inwiyuck_on_inwi Posts: 1
    edited September 2011
    I am sorry to hear about the problems everyone is having. We purchased our 2007 Yukon and just started having the same issues with the low oil light going on. There is around 50K miles, which seems to be a common thread with the issues or so it seems. We never had problems with our 2003 Yukon XL, so as everyone else stated, we purchased another Yukon. We have our Yukon at the dealer and they are performing an oil consumption test. After reading all of the posts it appears that we are just beginning to jump through the hoops like everyone else in this 3 ring GMC circus (the three rings G, M and C). Very disappointing and disturbing to me. I am wondering how things have turned out for you and any of the others experiencing these same issues? I am hoping and praying things have gotten resolved for you and the rest. Also hoping there is light at the end of the tunnel that doesn't turn out to be a train!
  • Christina,

Thanks for the information. I have seen and heard different numbers on acceptable oil comsumption from GM. With that being said, I thing the part about towing and non-agressive driving is a very big shame against GM, GMC, and Chevy. I think You and the Executive Management of these companies need to look at your commercials for SUV and Trucks. In the commercials they are pulling very heavy loads, driving very agressively, and in general doing things that most will not do with their truck or SUV. Then to have what you put out on this site that says if you drive agressively or under loaded conditions it does not apply. I think you may want to have more fine print added to the commercial. Example would be "If you do this to your vehicle your oil consumption issues will not be covered." Or "Driving under these condition will void part of your warranty." Think about it. I am a 20+ year purchaser of GM products. What you just said above makes me wonder if it is time to switch to a new brand.
    Sincerly, Former Loyal GM buyer now looking at other brands because of the above information and your commercials that conflict with each other.
  • Same issue - 2007 GMC Yukon XL. Purchased from dealer with 45,000 miles. First month, oil light comes on, not a drop left. Fill it up - same thing happens. In my case, the dealer analyzed the problem, gave me a loaner for 3 weeks, and apparently fixed the problem. Per GM warranty direction, they replaced all lifters and valve covers and gaskets. Now over 100k miles, and haven't burned a drop of oil between regular oil changes. Disappointed with the engine, but completely satisfied with how the dealer handled the situation.
    gump0519,

Sorry to hear of the problems you had experienced with your vehicle. Glad to hear you are no longer experiencing any issues and are happy with the way the dealership handled the situation.

Thank you,
    notnormal
    Can you please send me your case number? Have you had an oil consumption test performed at the dealer?

"The accepted rate of oil consumption for engines used in the vehicles referenced is 0.946 liter (1 qt) in 3200 km (2000 mi)."

" Important: This rate only applies to personal use vehicles, under warranty, that are driven in a non-aggressive manner and maintained in accordance with the appropriate maintenance schedule, with less than 58,000 km (36,000 mi), or driven at legal speeds in an unloaded (for trucks) condition."

The rate the oil is consumed at must be monitored by a GM dealer. I hope this helps. I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service