Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GMC Yukon XL Normal Oil Usage?

Comments

• Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,910
    edited November 2011
    Oh sure, make me get my shoes on and tromp through the snow to my detached garage to grab my gas log. :P

Okay, on 5/18 I changed my oil and filter at 155,062 miles. On 8/8 we left on our trip at 158,819 miles. On 9/10 we got back home and on 9/12 I changed the oil and filter. Mileage was 166,046. So just a few thousand miles over what Nissan recommends. ;)

I'm usually a bit better than that, although I went 14,000 miles between changes the time before that. I drive them forever but since I don't have a commute, the cars may sit for days between trips, and the miles don't add up that fast. The '97 is just around 88k.

If I was using a quart of oil every 2,000 miles, that's almost enough for a 4 quart oil change on my van, so I'd be using twice as much oil between scheduled changes. Even though I buy SuperTech at Walmart or whatever is on sale at NAPA, that's still another $10 I'd have to spend.

I've never done an oil analysis btw, but I think it's a bit irresponsible for the dealers to recommend more frequent oil changes than what the automaker says unless there's a reason, like known gelling in some past Toyota engines. And the only way to really tell how your oil is holding up is with an analysis.

Back to the original complaint, I know most manufacturers say that using a quart of oil every ~1,000 miles is "normal", but I personally don't think it's acceptable in a typical passenger vehicle.
  • thecardoc3thecardoc3 Posts: 1,521
    Oh sure, make me get my shoes on and tromp through the snow to my detached garage to grab my gas log

Hehehehe. Snow? Yea we have had a light dusting here too.

Okay, on 5/18 I changed my oil and filter at 155,062 miles. On 8/8 we left on our trip at 158,819 miles. On 9/10 we got back home and on 9/12 I changed the oil and filter. Mileage was 166,046. So just a few thousand miles over what Nissan recommends

Now if someone looked at this and decided based on it that it was OK for them to do the same as you say here, would you be willing to make it right by them if they ended up suffering a breakdown because they ran their car out of oil? A responsible owner would have serviced the car during that trip, JMHO.

I'm usually a bit better than that, although I went 14,000 miles between changes the time before that. I drive them forever but since I don't have a commute, the cars may sit for days between trips, and the miles don't add up that fast. The '97 is just around 88k.

The Hyundai in one of the other threads was pushed like this, and it cost her an engine.

I've never done an oil analysis btw, but I think it's a bit irresponsible to recommend more frequent oil changes than what the automaker says unless there's a reason, like known gelling in some past Toyota engines. And the only way to really tell how your oil is holding up is with an analysis

So we go from the concern over the expense of $10 for the cheapest oil, to reccommending an oil analysis that costs a touch over $20 and you've never done one? We send out about ten samples a year for various customers, I do it everytime I believe I am servicing a car that is being neglected, or that I suspect a failure is occurring. On one occasion that habit saved me from being the victim from somone who wouldn't accept the idea that their lack of regular maintenence was the cause of their engine failure.

BTW, the Toyota gelling issue is an oil choice issue. Even more frequent changes if someone isn't using the correct oil (one that controls crankcase acids) doesn't solve the problem.
    edited November 2011
    We got winter this week. :)

Somewhere I got the impression that frequently adding oil was a good idea; your comment about "refreshing" the additive pack I think. I think oil is pretty good these days and there's no need to do an analysis unless you suspect issues or you are an oil change hobbyist.

And the way I heard it, owners said they were blamed for not changing their oil often enough, not for their choice of oil. And I heard that Toyota engines had to be redesigned to slightly enlarge the oil passages. Toyota never admitted fault but settled the lawsuit about it. (pdf link).

I think people should follow their owner's manual for scheduled maintenance. I don't think people should regularly have to top up their oil between changes.
  • thecardoc3thecardoc3 Posts: 1,521
    edited November 2011
    Somewhere I got the impression that frequently adding oil was a good idea; your comment about "refreshing" the additive pack I think.

In a bit of irony for all of those you can find complaining in here, it is in fact a good thing!

I think oil is pretty good these days and there's no need to do an analysis unless you suspect issues or you are an oil change hobbyist.

Until you get to the extreme cases like I mentioned, or for fleets, but that's a totally different ball game.

And the way I heard it, owners said they were blamed for not changing their oil often enough, not for their choice of oil.

That of course was the classic reason and what everybody assumed, we are always learning new things and today we can look back and see what really happened.

And I heard that Toyota engines had to be redesigned to slightly enlarge the oil passages.

They had to deal with some locations that could cause pooling of the oil, however the primary cause was crankcase acid formation.

Toyota never admitted fault but settled the lawsuit about it.

It was a problem with the oils not being able to control crankcase acids, in short the acids broke down the oil and caused the sludging. The reduced PCV flow was a contributing factor, Chrysler suffered with similar issues. The solution turns out to be the heated PCV systems we find on cars today.

I think people should follow their owner's manual for scheduled maintenance.

Is that consistent with your own description of how you have serviced your car?

I don't think people should regularly have to top up their oil between changes.

I think people should think more. :)
    Is that consistent with your own description of how you have serviced your car?

Pretty much. I actually read the owner's manual on the van before I bought it to try to avoid any excessive maintenance requirements. My next car is going to have the hood welded shut. ;)
  • GM Customer Service,

I am new to these forms...my first post. Good to see you folks are monitoring these posts and providing responses.

My wife and I purchased a used 2008 Suburban LT 1500 4x4, 50K miles this past August. Oil change alert hit 15% life remaining this week and the change oil enunciator indicated it was time to take the vehicle in for oil/filter change. This AM (cold northern Virginia) the low oil pressure turn off engine warning came on for my wife. The oil pressure gauge is also fluctuating more than usual from idle to high RPMs. We check the dip stick, it was clean. Added 3 quarts of oil before oil came into the normal range.

Have an appointment with at the GM dealership in the AM. Have my fingers crossed the engine is not damaged.

R,
    VB
  • Good afternoon, vic442,

I am sorry that I'm a few days behind. How did your dealership visit go yesterday?
    Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • rigitrigit Posts: 1
    GM know it has a problem with its 5.3. TELL your dealer to fix it and that you know about the problem. They are fixing mine right now as of 1-18-2012.
    My Yukon XL is a 2007 purchased it in Dec. 2011
  • gmc76gmc76 Posts: 1
    I have the same issue. We purchased a '08 Yukon XL in November of 2011. The vehicle only had 36k miles on it. After around 2500 miles, the low oil pressure and turn engine off warnings came on unexpectedly. It took three quarts of oil to bring the level up to normal. The engine would smoke periodically on a cold start. Finally today after repeated visits to the dealership to "establish a consumption pattern" we were told that it would be fixed per the service bulletin. After seeing all these posts, I'm concerned as to whether this will rectify the issue. Sarah from GM, if you're still monitoring these posts, could you answer that question? Will this fix it or is a new engine the only remedy?
  • Thank you for your patience in working with your dealership on the consumption tests, and I'm glad to hear that things are moving forward.

I understand why you are concerned as to whether or not this will resolve the oil consumption issue. While I can't speak to any technical information, our technical service bulletins provide our technicians new service information, including a correction to a specific product problem. They also usually contain repair procedures, information on part numbers and availability, and warranty labor code information. The body of the bulletin will describe the condition, cause, and correction to the problem.

Would you like to set up a Service Request with us? This would allow us to follow up with you after the repair is done and interact with your dealership to check in on the progress. If the problem is not resolved (which I truly hope and expect that it will be), we can continue to work with you and your dealership. If you're interested in this, please send us an email at the address provided in my profile here (include your name/Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your dealership). My coworker Christina, who answers incoming emails, will direct you further.

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • Just went to the dealership for an oil consumption test. Down 3/4 qt at 900 miles. Now I am having an occasional ticking noise while idling. Looking through the blogs, it maybe the lifters. Anyone have this problem. Driving out of town next week for son's soccer tournament. Afraid I am going to get stuck again. Not going to he happy to leave at dealership for days AGAIN until maybe they find something wrong! Any ideas? Anyone with a 5.3l AFM engine with this problem?
  • Sarah,

I'm having the exact same problems with my 2007 Yukon XL. I've been working with the dealership in my town, and they have installed a deflection plate as per the GM bulletin. 3 weeks after that "correction" and 1800 miles into the oil change, I brought it back in due to low oil message. It was looked at and determined that it was down 1.5 quarts. Now they are saying they have to clean carbon from the pistons and rings. While the dealership seems to be working with me and doing a good job, I am displeased with the situation. How can I open a case with GM to get you folks involved to help me here. I'm concerned of the long term problems that could be caused by this issue. Is the only true fix to this problem replacing this design flawed engine? Thank you in advance for your consideration. Jeff-
  • Good afternoon Jeff,
    To get a Service Request going with us, please send us an email at the address located in my profile with more information, including: your name/Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 digits of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your dealership. Also, if you would please include a description of your vehicle concern/situation or include a link to this page that would be helpful as my coworker Christina answers incoming emails from the forum.
    Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • I just want to tell all of you having this problem that it IS a REAL problem. I fought this fight for FIVE YEARS with GMC. My dealership is a WONDERFUL place and they did all they could do, but it is essentially like a doctor/insurance company relationship with GMC for them. I brought my vehicle in SO many times for the oil consumption problem that I lost count and my dealership actually seemed to get irritated as well. On top of that, under warranty I also had my alternator replaced, my transmission fixed and with the engine, the "tiers" followed were done more than once. Needless to say, GMC offered me a carrot to purchase a NEW GM product and trade in this truck. As most items were new on the truck now, in lieu of the engine, that was still burning oil and I was confident, still having a year left on warranty would have to be replaced as there were NO other options left, we kept it. (I DO LOVE my truck aside from having to run it in constantly :-( ). About a month or so ago, it burned oil YET AGAIN and I had the no oil light (and barely any oil in the vehicle). GM finally relented and did put a new engine in. I do NOT know WHY this is such a hassle for their customers and why they put us through all the headaches and tears. When you buy a BRAND NEW VEHICLE (as we did) and you are plagued with problems from the beginning, it shouldn't have taken us 5 years of fighting to get the engine we knew, three years ago now, we needed. Also, my vehicle was from Janesville, WI and it closed it's doors at the end of 2008. My husband has always wondered if the vehicles having the problem were perhaps from the same plant(s).
    I know GM customer service will probably email me from this post. It is not necessary as we DID receive our engine finally. My reason for posting is to tell the others on here, who are suffering as we did from the same angst, confusion and frustration, to NOT give up. If they do NOT have the same relationship I did with my dealership, to go elsewhere until you do. What you are experiencing with your vehicle is not normal. It caused mine to blow pistons/rods, to have lifters replaced TWICE and much more before they then put in the new engine block. Good luck to you all!
  • Has a recall ever be done on these vehicles? If not why hasn't there been. I quit carrying my vehicle back over this mess. I am over the 100,000 miles now and the dealer acted like I was dreaming up this stuff. I printed stuff off from this site and showed them others had the same problem, but that didn't seem to matter. I really like my vehicle but I am really over GM at this point.
  • I'm glad to hear that you finally were able to arrive at a resolution on the oil consumption issue, and am sorry for the anxiety and frustration that you must have experienced along the way.

I hope that with your new engine that this vehicle performs well for you for many miles!
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • If we can look into your vehicle's information to see if there are any open recalls on it, we'd be happy to do so! Please send us an email at the address located in my profile here on the site and we'll get any information we find right to you.
    Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • I've had Suburbans since 1972 ('72, '77, '79, '81, '85, '89, '92, '95, '99 , 2001 and now a 2007 GMC Yukon XL. I will NEVER own another GM product for as long as I live, and I will do my da-nest to be sure none of my family ever does either! Bought the 2007 with 59,000 miles on it and got a helluva deal on it (or so I thought! We all know why NOW!).
  • Good news: You got a new engine!

Bad news:
    GM still doesn't care about this issue or their loyal customers, consider yourself lucky. This issue has been going on for at least 4 years and as far as they are concerned, there is no problem, its normal. I've owned 4 Suburban's in the last 12 years and won't be buying another. I have 143K miles on my current 2007 LT and pretty much need a new one.
  • deflector put on 4000 miles ago on 07 Yukon, oil change, 1700 miles ago, light back on!!!!!!Now down 2 quarts in 1700 miles. Been burning oil since 30k miles, has 53k currently. That's a lot of oil changes. Now they are doing an updated Valve Cover. Craziness... How about just a new Engine???????