Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GMC Yukon XL Normal Oil Usage?

12345679»

Comments

• gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,152

@vayukon said: I am having my 2010 yukonxl with 93k miles in for the piston and ring replacement. Went through a few oil consumptions and there was a problem. Will check back once I get this done. Are there any engines that do not use oil? The dealership was business like but showed some attention to me . Do you think this will fix the problem or am I better off dumping it and buying a F150 King Ranch

Hi vayukon,

Please keep us posted on your dealership visit. We're sorry that you've had to return for service, but we hope that your dealer is able to resolve this matter for you. If you have any additional questions or inquiries during this time, please do not hesitate to send us a message.

Amber N. GM Customer Care

• astroissieastroissie Posts: 1

I just finished my last consumption test on my 2008 yukon which has about 83,645 miles, its seems that I will need to have my car engine taken apart and possibly have my pistons replaced. The gmc repair shop has just stated that since vehicle is no longer under warranty and its been 425 days since warranty expired, gmc will only cover 45% of repair cost and I will need to come up with 55% of the remaining cost. This yukon has burnt oil and I really do not feel that this is fair to me the owner for a "defect" according to me. This seems to be a very common problem with Gmc yukon apart from other issues with the locks and windows on my car. I feel cheated that this vehicle is not fully covered as stated 100,000 miles . I dont have 55% percent to cough up.

• d3kd3k Posts: 3

We have a 2007 Yukon Denali XL and are also experiencing a host of issues, along with high oil consumption. Our issue is that our local dealership keeps wanting to charge us a diagnostic fee for each issue, which would be nearly $800. In addition to the high oil consumption we have a host of electrical problems and transmission problems. When we purchased the vehicle it was in the dealership 13 times in the first few months for problems. Our dealership told us they'd find us another vehicle (we purchased Certified GM Used) and they never followed through. We had nearly 100 calls to them for updates and they told us our vehicle was "too rare" and he had his guy searching 13 states. We have a white Yukon Denali XL. We see about 4 per day where we live. Not so "rare". We're so disappointed. We purchased this vehicle to tow our travel trailer and take trips with our family. Unfortunately, we haven't been able to tow for nearly 2 years due to all the issues that the dealership can't seem to fix. They just want to "guess" at the repairs and hope it works, meanwhile charging us astronomical amounts of money. So bummed.

• sandlapprsandlappr Posts: 1
    edited August 26

I too have this oil consumption issue with my 2009 Yukon SLT with 52,000 miles. I first discovered the issue in the upper 30K mile range when it suddenly lost considerable power. I later discovered that the oil was being consumed by the engine after the dashboard light came on. The dealership service center required that I go through the oil consumption test whereby they determined it was consuming about 3/4 quart per thousand miles. They then agreed to replace the oil deflector per the service bulletin, stating that it should resolve the issue. Now, at 52K miles the vehicle appears to be consuming much more oil, approximately 1 quart per 1200 miles by my estimation. Aside from that, it appears that the dashboard light no longer illuminates to warn of low oil level/pressure. I returned to the dealer today with 4 months left on my warranty, and of course they want to go through the oil consumption test again. GM is obviously aware of this issue with the AFM engine and they are aware that the only complete solution is to replace the engine. I feel that at best they will only replace the rings, lifters and pistons which is only a temporary fix that addresses the negative affects of the problem, not the problem itself. I am dumbfounded by their claim that 1 quart of oil consumption per 2000 miles is normal. Would GM make this claim if oil was leaking onto the ground instead of internally? If this is "normal" then what is the point of having the oil changed as it will continually be topped off with fresh oil? If this is "normal" then GM should be required to disclose this information up front and list the "oil economy" figure along with the fuel economy figure.

Given the number of cases I have found simply by looking through various forums online, I am surprised that there is not yet a class action lawsuit filed against GM for this issue. [non-permissible content removed]. Thank you

• gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,152

@sandlappr said: I too have this oil consumption issue with my 2009 Yukon SLT with 52,000 miles. I first discovered the issue in the upper 30K mile range when it suddenly lost considerable power. I later discovered that the oil was being consumed by the engine after the dashboard light came on. The dealership service center required that I go through the oil consumption test whereby they determined it was consuming about 3/4 quart per thousand miles. They then agreed to replace the oil deflector per the service bulletin, stating that it should resolve the issue. Now, at 52K miles the vehicle appears to be consuming much more oil, approximately 1 quart per 1200 miles by my estimation. Aside from that, it appears that the dashboard light no longer illuminates to warn of low oil level/pressure. I returned to the dealer today with 4 months left on my warranty, and of course they want to go through the oil consumption test again. GM is obviously aware of this issue with the AFM engine and they are aware that the only complete solution is to replace the engine. I feel that at best they will only replace the rings, lifters and pistons which is only a temporary fix that addresses the negative affects of the problem, not the problem itself. I am dumbfounded by their claim that 1 quart of oil consumption per 2000 miles is normal. Would GM make this claim if oil was leaking onto the ground instead of internally? If this is "normal" then what is the point of having the oil changed as it will continually be topped off with fresh oil? If this is "normal" then GM should be required to disclose this information up front and list the "oil economy" figure along with the fuel economy figure.

Given the number of cases I have found simply by looking through various forums online, I am surprised that there is not yet a class action lawsuit filed against GM for this issue. [non-permissible content removed]. Thank you

Good morning sandlappr,

I’m sorry to hear your Yukon is experiencing oil consumptions issues. I’d be happy to get in touch with your dealer and get more information on your concern. If you’d like, please send us an email to socialmedia@gm.com att: Claudia; with your VIN, current mileage, full contact information and involved dealer.

Regards,

Claudia GM Customer Care