Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Maxima

L8_ApexL8_Apex Posts: 187
Welcome to the continuation of the Nissan Maxima -
Part 10
topic. Those of you joining us from that
topic are welcome to continue your discussion.

If you're new to this topic, you may want to
follow the above link for additional archived
posts.

Thanks,

L8_Apex
Sedans Host

Comments

• Hi everyone,

I hope this is the right forum to put this topic up here. I scanned a bit in archive but couldn't find the topic.

Anyways...

I have 1996 Maxima GXE with the standard AM/FM cassette. I went to Best Buy to get a new stereo installed and they told me that because I have the Bose stereo system, the amp in it requires all the wiring to be done completely differently. So instead of getting free installation that comes with a new stereo, I have to pay additional $160 (for a $300 stereo!).

I left and thought that this didn't sound right. I didn't think GXE came with a Bose system (i thought only SE & GLE did) and they were just trying to take advantage by making me pay this amount.

Any advice, comment, or similar experience?

Thanks all.
  • My dealer took about 1-1/2 hours to fix the trunk and that included an oil change! I would just use some touch up paint on the trunk lip to prevent any rust.

Dice
  • I have 4 Blizzak snow tires that I got for my 1998
    Dodge Intrepid that are 205/70R15. The original
    equipment on the Intrepid is P205/70SR15.

The 2001 Maxima GLE original tires are
    P215/55HR16. Is it possible to use my 15 inch snow
    tires on the Maxima GLE? (I don't care about any
    speedometer difference - only if it can be used
    safely.)
  • You're not planning to put 15" tires on 16" rims are you? or are you going to buy 15" rims to put on the Max? I don't know if I'd try the mix and match routine? Good luck
  • bigk200bigk200 Posts: 170
    I stuck up for you on the 5-speed board.
  • Hey there.
    If you have a bose system, the front lid/door of your Cassette player should say BOSE.
    The 96 GXE should not have come standard with BOSE system.
    Also....I thought it was just the speakers that were BOSE.
    So...if you don't see BOSE labeled on your cassette player, then you most likely don't have a BOSE and those guys at that store are either completely out of it or just trying to make undeserved money off of you.
  • lsflsf Posts: 98
    I am confirming my suspicion with a friend of mine who works at Bose and helped design the system that went into the 1990 Max. I think it is more than just speakers. In fact, I believe there's a Bose amp attached to underside of the rear deck on my 2K GLE. However, if you don't have the speakers, you certainly don't have the Bose. You can always check the sub woofer which may not have the Bose name on it (on the grill) in older models. But underneath (from the trunk) the id should be easy. If you don't have the sub woofer...you don't have the Bose.

BTW, he told me that Bose has designed a new system in the STS. That makes the Max, the STS and Saab?
  • You're absolutely correct. The Bose system wasn't available on '96 GXE's, only SE's and GLE's.

The AMps were different from the 4th gen to the 5th gen. In the 4th gen...the AMPS were at each speaker, not so on the 2k's.

Joe
  • I thank you..I guess....but, this isn't a 4th grade schoolyard, it's a forum for USEFULL info to be passed on (hopefully). Not a forum that has the need to be "stood up for". All my years with Nissan can speak for itself....if others care to listen. If not...lol..oh well....my car run perfect !

Thanks again

Joe
  • It depends on what year you have....for 2k, they come already painted.

Joe
  • you mentioned that if someone gets their bumper repainted by the shop that there might be a mismatch in color. i have a question, is it true that if you order a spoiler as an option on a max such as my gle, that it comes unpainted to the shop then painted and "baked" and then installed before delievery? i only ask because it looks like an exact match between my spoiler and the rest of my car. just curious if the shop did a really good job or they were just lying to me. thanks
  • bamadjbamadj Posts: 18
    Hi Joe, I asked last week about this and didn't hear back. I'm only bugging you because I'll be taking my car in next week for an oil change and want to deal with other issues as well while the car is there...

Anyway, I wanted to know if it was possible to get the paint dots on each wheel removed? If so, what ramifications are there to doing this? A few folks around me seem to think it wouldn't be a big deal, but I want to take care of my car and do the right thing.

Thanks
    dj
  • why would u care about that little paint dot on your wheels?? it's there for a purpose obviously since every maxima wheels have them. i saw them on mine when i first got my car, but if you keep your wheels clean, that little paint spot is the least of your worries. i'm more into making sure i dont have rattles and things like that than removing a tiny paint spot that was meant to be my wheels
  • I don't know if it's possible to remove it w/o removing the paint on the wheels themselves. The dot on the tire is easily taken care of but, You can ask the dealer if you'd like, I'd leave it alone if it were me though.

Joe
  • i know this is GLE place, but had anyone see nissan X-trail! this SUV looks so cool!!! hey joe do you know this SUV well, i want to know how good is this X-trail

willy
  • canadianclcanadiancl Posts: 1,078
    You mean Xterra? If so, it is apparently a very capable off-roader, but I would wait for the power upgrade.
  • Currently the X-Trail is a mini-ute only for Japan...then for Europe. In order for it to arrive here, Nissan needs to drop a V6 in it (only 4's are scheduled so far), and be sure it won't clip the heels of it's XTerra. probably in a few years.

A fullsize SUV is in the works though....I just hope it gets here before the craze ends...lol.

Joe
  • eblumeblum Posts: 52
    I removed the dots on my wheels with my finger nail...no damage to the wheels.
  • jamberjamber Posts: 21
    Joe, I just wanted to thank you and everyone else who gave tips a while back for changing the oil/filter yourself. I reached 1000 miles this past Friday on my 2001 5spd SE and I changed the oil/filter, it was real easy, the filter required a wrench to lossen it up, but it was easy and only took me 15 minutes of actual work (I waited 1/2 hour to have just about every last drop of oil drain out). I used MobilOne and a PurOne Purolator Filter. I also put on wheel locks and rechecked the torqued on my lugs.

I noticed the paint spots on the wheels before I drove off lot, the salesperson did not know what they where but pointed out the all 4 wheels had them... When I washed my Maxima the first time I scrubbed a kinda hard on one of the paint spots and it came right off, but the other three did not so I took a wood popsickle stick (thought it would be good since it was softer than the wheels), but when I gently tried to scrape a paint spot off, it took a tiny chip of clear coat... urrrgh I should have left it alone! I used some clear nailpolish to seal the tiny chip.

I'm still waiting for the dealer to get the replacement side moldings in that they messed up in detailing with the buffer. I'm PO that they even used the buffer on my new car, I hope they did not mess up my clear coat! How would I tell, or do I have to wait until the paint starts to fade in a few years? I also found a small "burn" mark from the buffer on the corner of my spoiler and my rear window black frame as well as the sunroof wind deflector. I called the dealer and spoke to a manager, he said to bring it in and they will take care of it, that they want to make sure I'm completely satisfied. That same day I got a letter from the dealership saying to let them know if I'm not "Completely Satisfied" and if I cannot give them a perfect 10 on the survey that Nissan may send me.
    I got the survey and will wait to fill it out until they fix these small blemishes from the "Buffer Happy" person in the Detail Dept.

Other then that I'm so happy with this car, it is such a pleasure to drive... so quick...love those 4k rpm and higher shifts... I now have 1900 miles (yes I put 900 miles on it in 4 days, I drove to Homestead FL for the NASCAR races). and I have loved every mile I have driven!
  • When I apply the brakes on my 2K Max (17K miles), I get a rapid oscillation in my steering wheel, which slows with the car, and the braking isn't very smooth. Is this a sign of warped rotors? The brake pedal does not pulsate. I have read past posts about overly tight lug nuts, and the front tires haven't been removed since I've owned the car.