Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Maxima

Comments

• dklaneckydklanecky Posts: 559
    We accidentially left the antenna up while driving through one of those gas station car washes. Naturally it snapped off.

I bought the replacement at the dealer but can't figure out how to remove the current one from the fender. Anybody have any experience they'd like to share? Shop manuals? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I hate to go to the dealer for this since it looks pretty simple and I'm sure we're not the first ones to do this?

(The cars got 180,000 miles on it and still looks and runs great!)

Thanks
  • ksatbjhksatbjh Posts: 14
    Does anyone know if 15" steel wheels will fit on an 02 max. I currently have some 15" tires that are like new and would work, but the steel wheels at the local tire shop hit the calipers on the 02's larger brakes.
  • dklaneckydklanecky Posts: 559
    I used the 15" wheels off my 95 GLE for dedicated snows for my 2000 SE. They fit and worked perfectly (but look terrible compared to those 17")

I also upsized to 16" mag wheels on the 95 GLE and improved it's looks as well.
  • My 2001 Max has the 200 watt Bose system..It'll kick yer a__!!....I wouldnt have it any other way...I took it over leather...you get more use out of it and it sounds great for a factory sound system..
    I gotta tell ya....I saw the 2002 SE's 17" alloy wheels....zzzzzzzzz...I like my 17" 2001 wheels 10 times better...they are definetly better looking and have more class(JMHO).....Joe D.
  • merlionmerlion Posts: 39
    Mirth:
    Looks like the OEM tires are bad for snow traction according to reviews on tirerack.com. Bridgestone Blizzak is used best for snow traction. But 153 per tire...man it's expensive. Luckily I just need to travel 5-6 miles to work and it is a straight road.

Gerapau is right.
  • godeacsgodeacs Posts: 481
    OK, that makes sense then! I looked at the SEs too and really couldn't tell any difference in the ride but wanted leather so opted for the GLE w/o a sunroof.

Yup, Wake grad from the early 70s and still follow them closely. Nice thing about b-ball is we can get our revenge on the 'Noles after we get creamed in football!

ACC Rules!
  • danny25danny25 Posts: 119
    How could the 2001 17" wheels look 10 times better than the 2002 SE 17" wheels. The only difference is the new ones don't have that cap to cover all the bolts. I prefer the new ones myself. I was just wondering what you saw in the old ones.
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Posts: 1,467
    ..but I will say that I liked them better than the 2002 Alloy wheels, yes, I know that it's just that the center cap is replaced, but they actually looked better, they made the car look more agressive, and help with the overall styling. Basically, the alloy wheels looked more masculine than the "facelifted" ones. But, this is just my opinion.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 14,287
    I had to replace a power antenna on the car I had before my Maxima. I had a local stereo shop put it in (I bought the part there, much cheaper than OEM), and it only cost about $20 to install. Better to let a pro crawl around in the trunk.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

• mirthmirth Posts: 1,212
    Would the GXE's 16" H tires be better in the snow than the SE's 17" V "performance" tires?
  • dcristdcrist Posts: 6
    I was wondering what the real difference is so I priced both cars on Edmunds. A Maxima GLE(The closest to the I35) w/floor mats, front side airbags, and traction control system is $28,266. The I35 base price is $29,295 and includes all of the above. That's only a difference of $1,029 not the $2-4000 quoted here by others. I'm certainly not knocking the Max. but lets be fair. If you want a version w/fewer options you can certainly be lower but thats not comparing an apple to an apple.
  • rickpctrickpct Posts: 71
    Have narrowed down my choice to a 98-2000 Maxima Considering on other car - but the Max has a solid combination of fun, reliability, comfort, etc. Would love a 2002 but just bought the wife a new car in spring so need to go pre-owned..:<

Any specific issues to look out for when considering a 98-2000? The pricing on these cars are pretty good in the NY/CT area - anywhere from $15-18K depending upon trim level and mileage.

Appreciate any input. Thx.
  • The earlier Maximas you are considering are "fourth generation" cars. The fifth generation began with the controversial redesign in 2000. Your first decision should be between generations, I'd say. The car is essentially the same, although each year's new introduction added a few new options (like traction control, which became available in 1999). If you like the older styling, you can save money since the market tends to devalue a car after a new generation of styling has been introduced. A 98 or 99 Max with low miles and the features you like would be a great buy. If you really like the new styling you have fewer options; just try to find the right car at the right price.

The best news is that all these cars are basically reliable, well-engineered and have some of the best engines ever put in a car.
  • g159g159 Posts: 23
    good snow tire= tall/flexible (numerically high aspect ratio, the second part of 205/60 designation) This makes the tire more flexible and it finds a better traction patch in snow. also a lower speed rating such as h is 130 mph, and v is 149 mph. As I said, flex is key, and a higher speed tire has both stiffer side walls, and is made of a rubber mixture that is more stiff as the temperature drops. Also v rated tires are typically sporty designs that just plain are not designed for snow. However, some all season v tires can work better than lesser brand h. the best answer is www.tirerack.com type in the car you are interested and view all tire possiblities. there is a user feedback section where people list their satisfaction or lack thereof. good luck.
  • canadianclcanadiancl Posts: 1,078
    What a guy!
  • mikemc1mikemc1 Posts: 10
    I just picked up my 02' Max GLE last week. The car is really wonderful. Has every option
    except the navigation system and I paid less than $30,000. The Xenon lights are awesome. I really like the heated steering wheel. The fuel mileage is excellant for a 255hp engine.
    This is my first brand new car I have ever had and the first foreign car I have purchased. I anticipate having no problems with this car based on Nissan's quality control.
    I would like to hear from other 2002 Max owners about their experiences/ problems, etc
    with their new MAX.
  • Altima 3.5 se with abs and trac control at $23,445.00------Or Maxima SE at $24,000.00
    (the prices are carsdirect qoute) Now at these prices , without changing anything about cars wich is better deal. Maxima comes with abs , but no trac. cntrl.. Altima has rear indepentent suspension, which the Maxima does not. Maxima has new xenon headlight, Altima not. Every time I come up with a reason to go with one I find something I like better on the other. ARGHHHHHHHH! I ,like others, have a hard time (right or wrong) justifying spending Maxima prices on an Altima. The Altima is comanding (at present) near 800 over invoice, while the Maxima only 300 over invoice. Also would anyone know of any incentives Nissan might be giving come Novemebr on the Maxima?
  • riezriez Posts: 2,361
    Not what the dealer(s) have on their lot. You can always attempt to special order or, better yet, find a dealer who will locate what you want and then do an inter-dealer trade. Not that difficult if you get a decent salesperson at a decent dealer.

Get the specific car you want. If you want side airbags, side curtain airbags, HID, TC, etc., you can get that in the Altima 3.5 SE. If there is something specific you want that can only be had on a Maxima or I-35, then get that.
  • I have driven the Altima 2.5 S. and the Maxima se (think). I have read lots of comments on the Altima(mainly about the interior), and several on the Maxima. I can afford to wait until next year to purchase but am still unsure which to purchase. It is hard to make up your mind only driving both for short trips. I currently drive a 1996 Intrepid, and have never owned a Nissan. I liked the looks of interior of the Maxima better, ride wise seemed similar, although Altima seemed to have more legroom.

I have also driven a Passat. We also own a Jetta and the Passat was similar in ride to the Jetta, so have pretty much ruled it out.
    Basically I am looking for a dependable fun ride
    with not too much sports car, but more then the Camry, which I also drove. Have owned a 89 Firebird in past and don't want that rough of a ride again. Are the 01 & 02 Maxima's similar?
    Thought I could possibly get a better deal on the Maxima? Any advice ridewise, etc would be apprecated. Sorry this was so lengthy.
    Also, could someone explain torque steering?
    I see this mentioned and do not know what it is.
    Thanks.
  • riezriez Posts: 2,361
    An example: From a stoplight, while intending to go down the street in a perfectly straight line, you floor the engine. The car starts pulling to one side or the other. Forces you to have to "fight" the unintended steering off to the side by using the steering wheel to re-center the car's direction. If you were to leave the steering wheel alone, the car would veer off in one direction or other, but not keep straight line.

If you think of torque as the twisting power of the engine, think of torque steering as the twisting power of the wheels affecting one side or the other as you give the engine lots of power. This usually only afflicts FWD cars. FWDers have the drive wheels and steering wheels the same. (RWDers have steering up front and drive wheels in back.) Usually happens when there is a lot of power going to the front wheels. FWDers with unequal half-shafts are prime suspects, but too much power can pretty much cause it in any FWDer.
  • peej22peej22 Posts: 5
    Hey Mikemc1,
    I just picked up my '02 Max GLE last week. I got all options except Nav.sys for about $27,900. Mine is grey with black interior. I finally found where the heated steering wheel was and used it last nite and it was right on time. Is there a special button for the heated mirrors? I have gotten alot of stares in this car. One guy asked me if it was an Infinity. I laughed and so did he. I'm so pumped about my purchase never felt this way about my nice but ho hum '99 Accord V6.
  • djp2cdjp2c Posts: 39
    I can't help but wonder about the price of Maxima's in the USA.

My 02 GLE with every option(the only way it is sold in Canada) to which I added a Rear Spoiler, a
    Bug and Sunroof Deflector, Front Mud Guards (not in yet) and Window Tinting cost me $36,070. not including taxes which in Canada is 15% plus air tax and gas tax $175.00.
    The freight was $966.00.

Are there taxes in the prices you are listing on cars purchased in the US? If so how much?

So, if I had US dollars, I could buy the GLE Loaded, with everything but the Nav System for $26,400. US Dollars. (including the spoiler etc.)

Any comments or observations?
  • canadianclcanadiancl Posts: 1,078
    Where did you come up with the 26,400 USD?
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    I always thought "torque steering" was the tendency for the front wheels to attempt to either pull harder or straighten out when you intended to turn under power (i.e. forcing you to counteract the torque force). You seem to indicate that it occurs when you intend to go in a straight line. Is it both conditions, or am I incorrect?
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    I just started looking at this based upon a previous post suggesting it makes sense for US buyers to purchase in Canada.

Here is what I've found: Maxima SE 6-speed, fully equiped except for Navigation system. US list $30,002, US Invoice $26,895 (both include destination, but no taxes). Canadian list $36,900 + 966 dest. = $37,866 Canadian. I have found dealer willing to knock off $2,000 Canadian for sale price of $35,866 +/- Canadian. Current exchange rate 1.575 Canadian to 1.00 US. Equivalent US price for fully loaded Maxima SE = $22,700 +/-. There is a 2.5% duty to bring back to US, plus a couple of other little taxes/fees, making the final number $23,400 +/- (not including sales tax).

It is my understanding that the 15% Canadian sales tax must be paid upon purchase, but is refunded by mail upon confirmation that the car has been exported. The buyer must then pay whatever his/her local sales taxes are in the states.

The net-net of this is, that if one is willing to go through the hassle, one could get a Maxima SE with a US invoice price of $26,900 +/- for about $3,500 (U.S.) cheaper in Canada. This assumes you could buy the Maxima in the states at invoice, which is probably aggressive, at least for a 6-speed SE. Assuming $500 over invoice is more likely, then the savings are $4,000. Not bad. Still haven't looked into how you change the odometer to read miles.
  • jimmie8jimmie8 Posts: 31
    Both of you are correct...torque steer is exhibited both when you are accelerating in a straight line (the car tends to pull to one side) as well as when you are accelerating in a turn (the tires tend to want to straighten out instead of following the path of the turn). I think the term "torque steer" can be used properly in both situations.
  • lofquistlofquist Posts: 281
    You're right on all counts! Yes, a brand new SE for $23,400. I know I keep mentioning this, but the US dollar just keeps getting stronger against the Canadian dollar. Which means prices keep getting lower for us. I went to Toronto to get mine (Vancouver is also real good on prices). If you want the odo changed to miles, a speedometer shop can do it - I have some contacts on that too.
    -Jon
  • Look at them very carefully.....The current wheels look NO different than the 2001 GLE 16" mag wheels...the 2001 17" are distinctevly different than the rest of the bunch....classier in my opinion...the 2002 wheels look no different and lack personality....Joe D.
  • danny25danny25 Posts: 119
    The 2002 17" SE wheels have 6 spokes and are shaped differently than the 2001 5 spoke 16" wheels. I agree about the 2001 17" wheels looking more classy, but I like the sporty look when you can see the bolts. Just differing opinions I guess.