Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Maxima

Comments

• cfocfocfocfo Member Posts: 147
    Checked out the 03 Max and it's true what others have posted, the dealership was discounting them like I've never seen !

Very nice car, I like the interior, but must admit that the exterior didn't "do it" for me after looking at the Altimas.

Nissan will have quite a 1-2 punch for 04 with the new Maxima and Altima.

A great looking affordable Altima with a cheap interior or an Altima-looking Maxima with a $5k interior upgrade.

Guessing the Maxima will be 6K to 8K more than the Altima, the Max will have performance upgrades as well as the higher end interior.
  • kennyg5kennyg5 Member Posts: 360
    You are right. The 04 Max looks like a hybrid of Altima. The reason is quite simple. I believe the 04 Max will be made in the same plant as the Altima. To cut cost (or in better terms, to increase profitability), it would make sense to have the two cars share the same platform. This may or may not be a bad thing, as long as the Altima platform is superior.

I recall I had read in one of the boards that some group is going to sue Nissan (class action) for misrepresenting the Max of having 255 hp. Apparently, the group claims its test results revealed that the Max has the same hp as the Altima 3.5S. I am not sure how the group tested the Max, but the thought/claim is interesting.
  • bruceb6bruceb6 Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking at '03 SE 6 speeds in the Philadelphia area. Was that $2000 under invoice deal nearby? Thanks
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    My local DC area dealer (VOB) indicated there are very few 2003 TE 6-speeds with all/most options except navigation within 200+ miles of DC. Best deal they can get me (as a previous customer who has made several referals) is probably invioce less the $1,000 rebate (i.e. net of $1k, not $2k under invoice) I don't think the supply situation will improve, as they and most other dealers are only getting 1 more shipment prior to the 2004 Maxima coming out. The loaded TE 6-speeds were never in very high supply.

I'm guessing I'll sit on my 1995 for another year, enjoy my S2000 another summer and see what the future brings. The new BMW 5-series appears to be as mixed a bag as the new Maxima. I'll need to see and drive both in person, before making any judgements.

Regarding the 2004 Maxima, it was my understanding that it was going to be rear wheel drive, correct?? I'm no engineer, but doesn't that pretty much mean a different platform than the FWD Altima. Also, the horsepower thing to me is getting Nissan into too much controversy. The 3.5 liter engine that is being used in everything from the Pathfinder, Altima, G35, I35, Maxima and 350Z (and a few others I probably forgot) is a gem of an engine, but the "tweaking" of it to get ratings of anywhere from 240 to 285+ horsepower appears to be more of a marketing ploy than an engineering one.

P.S. I like the spy photos of the 2004 Maxima. It looks a lot better than the G35 Sedan from the side and rear, IMHO.
  • cheerioboy26cheerioboy26 Member Posts: 412
    It is being built off the FF-L platform used in the Alty and the Murano. It may have AWD at soe point, esp. since that is already available on the Murano.
  • weltonwweltonw Member Posts: 21
    This morning we had a mini snow storm here in central NY, and I took a little drive and was sliding quite a bit with the OEM potenza's. The ABS came on a few times, and with one turn where I thought I was taking it really easy the car started sliding towards the ditch. Kinda scary.

So this afternoon I finally mounted winter tires (Blizzak LM22's from tirerack) which I've had for a few weeks now. I mounted them myself - took about an hour - and it's the first time I've ever had dedicated winter tires. Early evening I then took my daughter across town for a swimming lesson (about 8 miles), and both going and returning the roads had a fair amount of snow.

All I want to say is: I was *very* impressed with how much better the car drove with the winter tires. Not once did the ABS come on, and not once did I notice the car sliding or the wheels spinning. And where I live there are lots of hills.

I'm not necessarily extolling the Blizzaks, just putting in a pitch for winter tires. If you can afford to get them and they make sense for your climate, then do so. It's a small price to pay for such a big improvement in safety.
  • 03maximan03maximan Member Posts: 13
    The Potenza's are excellent on dry pavement, water and snow is another issue though. My 03 with the Potenza's did so-so in the snow we received recently in southern Ohio. I'll stick with them for now (primarily due to dry handling) but when these start to wear down i'll probably due a little research and choose the best all season tire available.
    Thanks for the info indicting the new 2004 Maxima will be FWD.

Unfortunately, that begs the next question. Many believe the 2002/3 Maxima with 255 hp 6-speed had exceeded the limits of what a FWD setup could/should be expected to handle as a "sports sedan".

While I have no doubt that the new Maxima will add more distance between itself and the FWD alternatives like the Accord, Camry and Passat, I question whether "350 Z comparable" horsepower numbers and the other suspension refinements aren't somewhat wasted on a FWD setup. I am sure it will handle a little better with IRS, but it still won't offer the overall balance and handling of the BMW 3/5 series or even it's own G35 sedan/coupe.

Now the good deals on leftover 2003's might be looking even better, the new design aesthetics notwithstanding.
  • partheryparthery Member Posts: 13
    Anyone have any tire recommendations for an '01 SE...the OEM Bridgestones only lasted 28K. Live in Atlanta, so don't need snow tires.

Did a little research and found a Goodyear Eagle RS-A ($159-Tire Rack)..or the Bridgestone ($180) or the Michelin Pilot ($225).

Lease is up next summer...so the thought of spending $600-$700 is more appealing then spending $1000.
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    Are they RE92s? If so, I know someone who slid into a car with those on, because they were almost bald at 28K miles.
  • 92drexel92drexel Member Posts: 153
    Classic Nissan in Turnersville. You'll need to go the route of their internet sales dept. I'll post the link when I find it.
  • nissangirlnissangirl Member Posts: 186
    They are ok where I am (Southern Mississippi), if it snows down here, it will be on April Fool's Day.

However, I will probably have to change them out around 20-25k, just have a gut feeling that they will be bald around that time.
    I have Michelin Pilots Sports on my 02 Jetta. They have 27K on them now, and still have alot of tread left. One of them is a little lower than the rest though, because I drove on it for about 1000 miles after a flat was repaired, thinking the moron who fixed the tire filled it back up with air. He didn't, and it had 15lbs. of preesure in it. I hate to replace 2 tires when the other is fine, but I always heard you should do that on the same axle.
  • 92drexel92drexel Member Posts: 153
    Potenzas RE92's have a bad rep in the wet and snow. Numerous people in www.maxima.org report hydroplaning at moderate highway speeds (40-50 mph). Even the reviews at tirerack.com are poor to average.

I think Cooper Tires just started selling a 225/50R17 tire that'll fit the maxima. I think it's priced in the $110-120/tire range (though I don't know how good it is).

habitat: I think Nissan will offer an AWD option which should vastly improve handling. However I think that Nissan has to leave the 'base' models FWD or there won't be a reason to buy an infinti (other than warranty and service). They probably want to purposely slot it under a G35 in the handling dept (IMO)...although the AWD model (if there is one) may be close. As to more HP, what's the saying...you can never have too much money, be too thin, or have too much...(you know the rest!)
    One of my GLEs just past 30k miles and the brake indicator light came on and then went off. I took the car to the mechanic and he said I needed new front brake pads. He replaced the original pads that came with the car and put on some non-Nissan pads, which cost me $100. I am hearing slight screeching sounds very time I brake, particularly at low speed -- the same sounds I heard when the car was new. Is this normal? I was told metallic brakes make that noise. True? I am not sure whether the new pads come with the sensors when they wear thin. Do all pads come with sensors? Kindly advise.
    I agree that taking the 2004 Maxima from FWD to RWD would have been a pretty bold move, since it still is cross shopped with a lot of other FWD imports like the Accord, TL, Camry, Passat, etc. As much as RWD might improve the balance of a "sports sedan", a move away from FWD might have lost sales to buyers who want better all season capabilities in their daily driver.

As for AWD, I am not a believer as yet. The significant added weight on most versions bothers me, as does (for some) the penalty in gas milage. The Audi S4 is a great performer in a variety of conditions, but, as a friend who had one acknowledged, it will not be mistaken for a BMW M3 on dry pavement (i.e. 95% of the time).

As for more being better, I was just pointing out that the FWD setup has a very tough time putting the power to the ground and not generating torque steer. I think that's partly why, after 8 years and 65 more horsepower, the 2003 SE 6-speeds 0-60 time of 6.3 seconds is only marginally quicker than my 1995 SE 5-speeds clocking of 6.7 seconds by the same auto magazine. Applying those kind of power increases to a well balanced RWD vehicle will give bigger returns, from what I can tell. The former BMW M3 (with it's measily 240 hp by today's standards), still significantly outaccelerates all of it's current crop of 240 to 260+ hp FWD competitors by a huge margin. Not to mention the enormous handling and steering advantages.

I can live with the new 2004 Maxima remaining FWD as a versitile, relatively affordable and attractive alternative to the high end RWD sports sedans like the 5-series. But I won't have false expectations that it will match them in handling or driving dynamics.
  • gg2k2segg2k2se Member Posts: 109
    I'm not an expert, but several car buddies have told me that long-life metallic brake pads are harder and will make more noise.

Yes to snow tires. I live in midstate NY and get them for all my vehicles. Mounted blizzaks from tirerack.com. Bolt them on/off yourself. Get a torque wrench for the lugnuts. For the price of your car and the safety of your family, I recommend them.
  • gsxrter1994gsxrter1994 Member Posts: 24
    Go have him put oem brake pads on your max and the sqeak should quit,also look at the hardware kit on the calipers if the metal is bent or the pads fit loose they will sqeak.
    Sqeaking brakes is caused by vibrations.
    GL
    Post #6035 is correct, i agree.
    Does anyone know if the 02/03 3.5L in the Max has variable valve timing, i know the 3.5 in the 350Z does what about the Max?
  • beanctrbeanctr Member Posts: 99
    03MAXIMAN,

The 02/03 Maximas have variable valve timing
  • nabinabi Member Posts: 15
    Hi, guys. Has been 1 week since I got 03 max se auto. I am trying to break in the car by driving it gently on interstate (50-60mph for 70 miles a day). It's my commuting route. Am I doing ok?

We have rain here in Baltimore today. I noticed that windshield wipers did not perform the way they should be. They left traces (or thin stream?) of water, and it really bothered my sight. Can I ask my dealer to fix it under warranty? I know it may be a trivial thing. However, it's a brand new car (my FIRST brand new car). I want it to be right. Thanks.
  • cusafrcusafr Member Posts: 184
    My opinion is just buy better wipers. I have bought many new cars and every time the wipers are only marginal. My choice of wiper blades is Trico blades. I have used them on all my vehicles for years. Not cheap, but great blades. Remember, everyone has an opinion-this is mine.

CUSAFR
    Thank you beanctr for responding to my question.
    P.S. nabi: the wipers on my 03 SE work fine, suggest you inspect the windshield real close from the outside for a small chip in the glass where it seems to be streaking. I had a car once and the wiper on driver side left a thin line of water during the whole arch of the wiper. The reason was small chip in the glass and the rubber on the blade was worn off in that very small spot, leaving a streak. Just a thought.
  • lmp180psulmp180psu Member Posts: 399
    Nabi: to add to 03maximan's suggestion, I would also make sure the rubber is not dirty because the wipers are very new and might have dirt particles on them. Cleaning the rubber with rubbing alcohol is a good way to get rid of dirt particles, and is safe for rubber and glass. Also, new wipers come with a "handi-wipe" of alcohol-type cleaner that the package says you should use to when you install them to get rid of dust and other particles. Hope this helps.
  • sgrd0qsgrd0q Member Posts: 398
    Just to add to lmp180psu's post - alternatively you can just do nothing and eventually the initial dirt will wear off.

Also, the Maxima OEM wiper blades are pretty high quality from what I've heard. Just give them some time.
    Thanks guys. I cleaned the blades with alcohol, but did not work. Maybe I should call dealer or get a new pair of blades.

I went to gasstation, and calculated gas mileage. I got 20.5 miles/gallon. It's a bit disappointing since I drove it @60mph on interstate. Am I going to have more after break-in? My 03 Max SE auto has only 450 miles on odo.
    I just talked with service dept at dealer. The guy said residue(?) on windshield make water streak, and told me to scrape the residue with razor. Have you guys heard of this? It seems odd to me.
  • prattsterprattster Member Posts: 59
    Try these from PIAA Japanese, very high quality and no streaking whatsoever. I have them on both my cars for about 6 months and very pleased with the performance. Supposedly the finest replacment wiper on the market.

http://www.autogeek.net/pisupsilwipb.html

• partheryparthery Member Posts: 13
    I have been using the Bosch Micro Edge blades and have had great luck with them. About $13 each at PepBoys or Target.
  • alexg4alexg4 Member Posts: 14
    I was told that Maxima's windows can be rolled down remotely using the keyless entry system. I own an 03 GLE and tried to find it in the owners manual but couldn't. Does anyone have any info?
    Yes, press the unlock button on your keyless pad once, then twice and hold until you see your windows go down. It takes holding it a few seconds, or it does on mine. I have the '03 SE.
    O.K. I'm I seeing double?

Are Posts #6048 and #6050 identical? Or did someone put something in my coffee?
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    alexg4 -- when you hit Refresh after making a post, it causes the message to repost EVEN THOUGH the message is no longer in the post box. You need to click on a link that will take you somewhere else (like the Sedans link at the top and bottom of the page, or any other link) then follow a link back here. Once you've done that, Refresh will do what you want it to do without reposting your message.

(Yeah, it's weird, I know!!)

Also, you'll see a blue Delete button by all the posts that you have made -- you can always delete your own messages.

Welcome! Let me know if I can help you find your way around.

:)
    Service guy at nissan dealer tried to clean some residue on wind shield, but did not help. Later, he installed new blades (free of charge), and worked just fine. After all, I guess, it was due to bad blades. The wipers are working fine again, and I'm happy with the dealer's service. Thank you for your kind comments.
    My 97 GLE's trunk cannot be opened with the key, but the remote fob and power trunk release work fine. The mechanic told me that I am using the valet key and that's why I cannot open the trunk. He also said the "master" key is longer. I have two identical keys and I do not recall ever getting a valet key when I bought the car. Does the 97 GLE come with a valet key? The owner's manual does not mention a valet key. However, my 91 and 03 do.
  • guardenerguardener Member Posts: 6
    Latest issue of Autoweek Magazine (12-16-02) shows official profile of 04 Max per photograph released by Nissan. Autoweek states that official debut of 04 will be next month at Detroit Auto Show.
    My VW came with a valet key, and it won't even fit in the keyhole for the trunk lock. Your mechanic is right, the trunk lock will not work with the valet key.
  • chineechinee Member Posts: 50
    ...to trade my 02 TL in the next week or so for an 03 SE w/sunroof (or not) as the only option. I drive 35K miles a year so I've got to buy. Has anyone here on this board got a good deal in So.FL? Maybe I should wait until after Xmas for a better deal?

CarsDirect says to expect $1000 under invoice, obviously with the cash disc included, but of course I want it for even less, gotta make up for the hit I'll take with the TL trade.

I want the glacier white, but dealer inventory of less expensive Max's is thin, they've got a lot of GLE's and SE's w/leather.

I read on this board that the production of 03's has ceased. Anyone know if there's anymore deliveries of Max's due to dealers?
    If your dealer wants to sell you a car, they will locate what you want. I've had a few of my previous owned Maxima's & Pathfinder's located for myself or either my husband.

You won't regret chosing the Max....enjoy the ride!
    I wouldn't wait until after Xmas for a better deal. If you find the SE in the color and options you want for $1,000 under invoice or better, I'd snap it up. I've decided to keep my 1995 SE. but a couple of friends have been looking for 2003's SE 6-speeds and, from what I understand, the inventory is indeed thinning. Most larger dealers know what they have coming in through January or February. That may be it, since the 2004's will start arriving in April. So if you can't find the particular car you want now, you may never find it.
  • al57al57 Member Posts: 67
    i continue reading about a variety of problems like warped rotors ,transmission slippage and other things, I only now turned 13,000 miles bought the car new and feel nissan is way ahead if these problems do not appear within the 36 month warranty which is up in july 03.Can any of these TSB items be fixed by the dealer if a problem is known although he may be unable to duplicate a specific problem and just fix as an item under warranty since nissan does pay for the work and there are known faults with these items
  • jcw915jcw915 Member Posts: 31
    Hey,

I HIGHLY DO NOT RECOMMEND buying the Glacier White. After one year, it is guaranteed to fade, so it won't look very bright, it'll just look like dull white. I had a 2001 Pearl White Maxima and after a year, it is exactly like that. Just pay attention to the white maximas you see on the road, notice that some seems to be brighter then others. The fact that Nissan's paint isn't the greatest doesn't help much either.
    I would recommend the sheer silver or polished titanium because it will always look the same no matter what. Nissan's paint compared to Honda's paint...is a BIG difference. I personally like Honda's paint better.

Just my 2 cents!
  • alexg4alexg4 Member Posts: 14
    I feel that the advertised mpg (20/26 auto) is significantly overstated. Although, my highway experience was better than yours, 25-28 mpg with average speed of 60 - 70 mph, city fuel economy is terrible. I am averaging roughly 15 mpg (I don't floor the gas pedal and stop smoothly). This fuel statistic is more befitting a pretty large SUV!
    I called Nissan at their national number and they told me that first of all the advertised mpg is an estimate and second of all I should wait to see what the mpg will be after the break-in (I just hit the 1000 mile mark on the odo). Frankly, I don't think anything will change after the break-in and I do realize that the 20/26 mpg is a little inflated, but a 25% difference borders on highway robbery.
    It is a shame, really. I love the car ('03 GLE) but with gas prices toying with $2 per gallon (in NYC)I am becoming more fuel cost conscious.
    So Nabi, let's keep fingers crossed that the engine parts will get to know each other better and consume less fuel later or somebody on this post who had a similar problem might have a solution for us.
    Good luck.
  • dogworkdogwork Member Posts: 5
    My 02 SE 6-speed has been getting a steady 23-25 mpg in mixed driving with premium unleaded...sooo I'm pleased with that! Especially since I certainly don't baby it very much. I do occasionally "skip" 4th or 5th gear, but I don't know how much of an impact that really has on my mileage. BTW...I have about 10,000 miles on the Max now.
  • mirthmirth Member Posts: 1,212
    I get a steady 20-22 mpg with mixed driving. On a long roadtrip, I usually get around 25mpg. 9000 miles on the odo.
  • gsxrter1994gsxrter1994 Member Posts: 24
    My wife has 7100 on our 02 GLE and we avg 23.5 city and highway.
    I am very pleased with the gas mileage for a car this powerful.
  • berbelberbel Member Posts: 167
    Remember when I told you I was going to wait to
    trade my 00 SE until the '04's came out so I
    could make a decision between the '03 and '04
    as I like having choices?????

Well, I'm glad I waited! Saw preliminary pic's of
    the '04's and I'm impressed. Those "twin dual
    exhausts" are awesome looking. Makes the car look
    "muscled." I only hope they kept the "elegant"
    looking interior and didn't go with the FoMoCo
    look of the Altima.

In spite of a couple of negative remarks on this
    board about the exterior styling....I like it
    (so far). Hopefully we'll get a 360 view of the
    car soon as well as a peek inside!

Have a great holiday!

berbel
    And Happy Holidays to you and yours, also.

I feel differently, but that's OK, that's what makes the world go round. My front appearance is more important than my back appearance, however, that's what most people see on Maxima's is the rear. But I like a "muscle" looking front and rear. I don't see that in the front of the '04, unless the picture is inaccurate, which it very well could be. The front to me, looks like Nissan's new Quest Van. I'm just not excited about it.

But enjoy what ever you choose.

Merry Christmas!
  • beanctrbeanctr Member Posts: 99
    My 02 Maxima SE 6sp averages just over 25 MPG with mostly highway driving (daily commute is 80 miles). The window sticker showed 28MPG for the highway rating (I should have known it sounded too good to be true). The car has 14K miles and the mileage has been pretty consistent since I purchased the car. I have noticed that MPG really drops in the City even when "babying" the car. While I am satisfied with the mileage especially given the performance of the engine I still wish for 1 or 2 more MPG on the highway to be "very" satisfied. I have tried the "skipping gears" trick on several occasions and have noticed a slight improvement in MPG when doing this; however, it isn't as much fun driving the car this way.