Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Maxima

Comments

• OK. So it seems that all of us who drive an '01 or '02 automatic Maxima experience a bit of a lag between first and second gears. It seems to be inherent to the car. My question is, will that affect the longevity / future performance of the car?? I read a post here that the TSBs fix doesn't fix it and aparently the TSB was only for the '00 units. I have the "lag" in my '01 SE. It does seem to lose some power between 1st & 2nd gears. Other than that, I like the way it downshifts to pass at the slightest "blip" of the throtle, from 4th to third or from 3rd to 2nd. So, what do you all think? Oh yeah - do the '02 Maximas do that also??
  • The tranny was beefed up in the 02's and the shifts are much smoother and that lag is gone. Trust me I had a 01 it was totalled and now I have the 02 and it is much smoother in the shifts.
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    ..I test drove an SE 6-speed a few weeks ago and did not notice a significant increase in torque steer over that exhibited by my 1995 SE 5-speed.

As for lasting 200k miles, I think it depends on how you take care of the car and the type of driving you do. My '95 has 118k miles and is in near new condition with absolutely no repairs required beyond routine maintenance. I am confident enough in its durability for another couple of years to decide to keep it and get a third car instead of trading up to a BMW 5-series at this time (we got a Honda S2000).

Lastly, and this is just my opinion, I wouldn't waste my money to put 18" wheels on a Maxima. At 255 hp with 17" wheels, the Maxima is already stretching the handling extremes of a front wheel drive car. Adding 18" wheels will only increase your tire replacement costs with no discernable increase in performance. I go through my Maxima tires at $450/set every 50k miles (15" in 1995). I'm now looking at spending $750/set every 12k miles on the Honda S2000. Do you really want to endure that expense for a car that you expect to keep for 200k miles. If you are prepared to spend upwards of $10k on wheels and tires for 200k miles, I would get a BMW 530i sport instead. The Maxima is a great car, but it's no 5-series.

Just my 2 cents.
  • 92drexel92drexel Posts: 153
    I agree with most of what habitat says...you should be able to get 200k easy if you take care of it (I'm approaching 200K with my 92).

Tire size: you would probably look at a 235/40R18. A good site is www.tirerack.com

I did a quick check and noted about 4 or 5 tires in the 18" size that are the same price or cheaper than the 17" Bridgestones ($150 per) that comes standard on a new max. If you live in an area that gets snow, I would save the orginal 17's and swap them every winter. I bought new rims for my '00 just to look a little different.

Also check out www.maxima.org for more ideas and opinions. That is a great max site.

Goodluck!
  • gtsccgtscc Posts: 1
    Totally agree with you there. Don't know about in the States, but my Nissan dealers here in Canada have very few of the 3.5 SEs available. I went with a Maxima SE with all the trimmings (i.e. with Leather and Sunroof etc.) and:

1) Got my choice of Paint Color AND Leather Color
    2) Got dealer installed Tinting
    3) Got my Car in one week
    4) Paid marginally more than MSRP of the Altima

In the end, it was a no-brainer. I got everything I wanted, and didn't have to wait. I also noticed that the Lease and Finance Rates on the Maxima (at least up here) are negotiable as well, while there is no dealing at all on the Altima. Like you said, in the end, you could end up paying more for the Altima.
  • How did you negotiate on the finance rates???
    I thought 6.8 for 60 months was already good. Can I do better?

Contact me by mail if you want:
    Amazing2@cyberdude.com

Thanks.

BTW, congrats on your new wheels!
  • I am glad the "job" is over. I just drove home my 2002 Maxima GLE. It is SUH-WEET! Accleration and drive are better than expected. Stereo is great, came home with "SADE" on the CD.
  • I just purchased the 2002 Maxima SE. After driving the new Altima, Camry, Accord, Volvo S-40, and VW Passat, I choose the Maxima. I am a previous Maxima owner (1995), and was very pleased with the last one!!! I have to say the 2002 is an incredible improvment!! For power, performance, comfort, and price the Maxima has no match!! Especially considering the discounts you can get on the Maximas since the Altima came out.

I got my SE in Gray Lustre, with only Sunroof, and floor mats. I listened to the Bose system and for the price decided it was'nt worth it. I have already purchased Infinity 652i's for the front and rear doors. I have also purchased one 8" freeair subwoofer, which I plan to mount in a similiar configuration as the Bose version. To power the subwoofer I will be using a Soundstream amp fed from a line level converter off the rear speakers. I will not be replacing the head unit unless it is absolutely neccesary.The total cost of the equipment so far is $400. I plan to do the install this weekend and will post the results.
  • godeacsgodeacs Posts: 481
    on your new purchases! I'm sure you'll be very happy. Like you, I looked far and wide (Accord, Volvo, Passat, Altima, Audi etc) and came to the same conclusion a few months back. I am very happy with my Maxima too!
  • I have a 2001 Maxima SE, automatic, fully loaded. This car now has 14,000 totally trouble-free miles on it. I took it on a 5,000+ mile driving vacation from Michigan to Utah and back this past summer and was extremely impressed. This is my 3rd Maxima since 1989. The first two were the most trouble free and pleasant cars I have ever owned, each exceeding 100,000 miles (other cars have included BMW, Audi, Volvo and a number of American products). Sure, the BMW and Volvo had certain features/advantages over the Max but in the end, the ownership experience for the Maximas has been better (cost, ease of ownership, reliability and durability). I would like to get a little better output from my headlights and am contemplating a set of PIAA Platnium Super White bulbs -- same wattage as stock (60/55). These are the 3800K bulbs -- nothing extreme. PIAA claims that they work fine in stock applications with no need to upgrade wiring and that they do not produce more heat than stock bulbs. They also claim that the light is far whiter than stock and the bulbs produce the output of a regular halogen 110/100 bulb. The last thing I want to do is to blow up/melt my headlights/housings/wiring. Has anyone out there installed a set of these bulbs and if so, what has your experience been? Thanks in advance for your input.
  • I just picked up my 2002 Maxima GLE Friday. Runs GREAT! I went to local hardware store about twenty cars there. When I came out I find My car had bird crap all over it. Musta been a bunch of sumo wrestling birds 'cause it was BIG and Nasty! I looked around..NO OTHER CARs HIT!!!! What kinda luck is that. Could it be speacial breed of birds, bred bigger and able to locate new cars....nah, just my luck! The cAR IS LAID OUT PERFECT FOR THE DRIVER. Plenty of room in back and front. Only complaint so far is I expected it to be a little smoother over hard bumps. the feel I get on bumps is more what I expected from the SE
  • LOL! :)

It's the revenge of the bird poop!

http://www.se-r.net/multimedia/videos/misc/birdpoop.mpeg

BTW, congrats on your new ride!

• That had to have been Nissan's best commercial ever. I remember seeing that for the first time and laughing my [non-permissible content removed] off.

I got a question.
    Does anyone notice how freaking huge their Maxima SE's turning radius is? My wife and I just bought an Audi A4 for her, and that thing feels like it can do a 180 in an alley way, while my Maxima feels like it needs the width of a freeway!

Why is it?
    I've long gotten used to it, but i've always thought it was very weird....

ideas?
  • Has anyone taken delivery of one of these cars? What are your initial impressions? In particular, I'd be very interested in your opinions re: clutch and shifter feel, and overall quality levels of your purchase. How did you do on pricing? Thanks!
  • mirthmirth Posts: 1,212
    jzauberman - Did you get your Max in SE Michigan? If so, can you recommend a dealer?

gymshoe - Your Max has 17" tires, while the A4 has 15". Plus, the A4 is about a foot less in length than the Max. Combine them and it's a huge difference.
  • My 02 Max SE does have a WAY FAT turn radius! I am used to it, but it does suck sometimes.

My 90 M3 could do a U-Turn in an alley though! :)~

I do agree with mirth in his explanation. I also think that front drive cars turn wider than rwd as well.
  • Huh? Only if it's lacking the sports suspension or upgrades.
  • mirthmirth Posts: 1,212
    true - but even still it's a lot shorter. Do that many people upgrade the A4 tires?
  • Came with larger wheels. Only someone getting a stripped 1.8T would get the 14s.
  • All,

Got my 00 Max out of the shop yesterday. The tranny shifting problem is fixed finally. The problem was when cold mostly but happens other times as well, is that it slips shifting from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd. They replaced a solenoid per the TSB and it is good as new. Took some fighting, but it is fixed.
  • 6head6head Posts: 10
    I also bought a 2002SE and stayed with the standard radio. I am alittle disappointed with the sound and I am interested in your project.

I know you haven't completed the project but want to know how it goes. How much were the replacement door speakers, do you notice a big change in sound quality, and how hard is the installation process? I am less inclined to install a subwoofer.
  • Interesting. I think the stereo is great. Although, when I first got it, it wasn't that great. It may sound weird, but now the stereo sounds much better than it did at the beginning.

Hmmmmmmmm.....or maybe I am as high as a kite off the fumes coming from the BMW K1100 RS motorcycle that was started in the showroom about 15 minutes ago and is still running! Hopefully I'll live long enough to post again! :-/

SOMEBODY TURN THAT THING OFF!!!
  • I have PIAA xtreme whites in the headlights and the fog lights. Had them in since this summer and no problems. As long as you stay at stock wattage you should have no problems. Oh and make sure you don't touch the glass part of the bulb, getting any kind of oil on the bulb is bad and will severly reduce the life of the PIAA bulb.
  • Anyone else experience a startup problem with an 01 SE? Monday morning my SE (with only 7500 miles!) wouldn't start (low pitched whining noise, lights, radio, etc. all worked). It was the first cold morning we've had, but the car was garaged. After towing it to the dealer on Monday afternoon, they finally got to look at it this morning and said it started up with no problem! They were checking it out but I'd like to know if anyone else had a similar problem. My mom seems to recall this happened to her once or twice with her 95 SE.

Any thoughts? I'm also checking the Maxima.org forum. Thanks.
  • lsclsc Posts: 210
    The speakers probably had to be broken in. Similar to home speakers.
  • tgif888tgif888 Posts: 351
    Have the dealer check the computer chip in your remote. It happens on my 00 Max. The dealer said my Mobile speedpass had interference with the chip. Dealer needs to reprogram the computer chip and it will solve the problem.
  • Max2001, thanks for the input. I'm going to try a set of these bulbs in the headlights. Do you notice a significant increase in output?

Mirth, I bought my SE at Bill Cook in Farmington Hills, MI. I dealt with a gentleman named Tim Maxwell who was price competitive and extremely professional. I did the same type of price research that I expect you have done/will do and simply asked that Cook match the price that I obtained elsewhere via the internet (I believe the best price I obtained was through CarMax in Wisconsin). Cook was able to match the price and I was happy to give them the business. My experience with them over the past 10 years has been exemplary. I was so happy with how I was treated that I actually bought Tim a gift and gave it to him when I picked up the car. Tim's professionalism and integrity became very apparent after I decided on the vehicle I wanted (it was in stock) and left the dealership. Tim agreed to set the vehicle aside until the end of the month when the lease on my Volvo expired. Tim did so but through a mix-up I ultimately learned that one of the other salesmen used the car as a demo, putting a little bit of mileage on it. Even worse, someone had backed the car into a pole! Tim was unaware of this but I discovered it a week or two later when I took a ride to the lot to "visit" my car which I was to pick up a couple of days later. As soon as Tim learned what had happened he put his coat on and asked me to wait for him to return. I had no idea where he was going. Five minutes later he drove up in another Maxima -- same color as the one I had originally selected -- it had just come off the delivery truck. Despite the fact that it had some $500 of extra equipment and had a build date some 6 months later than the car I originally selected Tim gave it to me at the same price I negotiated for the original vehicle selected -- no hassles, no stories. All in all, a very pleasant buying experience.
  • canadianclcanadiancl Posts: 1,078
    You mean the chip in the KEY that controls the immobilizer, right?
  • Nominate that salesman for sainthood! What a nice story, and such a difference from the usual encounters described on here.