Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Maxima

Comments

• sgrd0qsgrd0q Posts: 398
    FWD cars have a disadvantage, because the weight shifts away from the driving wheels during hard acceleration, and traction becomes more of a problem.

Despite what has been said so far, the 2002 6-speed Maxima should get sub-six second 0-60 times.
  • Thank you for your info.
  • I have driven both the 2002 Altima 5 speed and the 2002 Maxima 6 speed. Hands down the Altima seems MUCH faster over a broad range. I am so torn liking the interior of the Maxima better. But I feel the improvements in the Platform of the Altima make it a better driving car. Then add into that build quality of Japanese VS U.S. A. I also heard that the Maxima for 2003 will get a V8.
    ( Salesman coming back from a Nissans Meeting)
    Also spoke with a Tech at the local dealer and posed the question would you BUY a Maxima or Altima. He said Altima is a better handling car but he to feels the interior and drivers position in the Maxima is superior. So His answer .. Wait till 2003.. when you will have a Maxima sharing a better driving platform of the Altima along with a upgraded interior of the Maxima. He said hopefully they wont blow the drivers position when the Maxima becomes bigger due to sharing the Altima Platform.
    Decisions. .Descisions..
  • All this talk yak yak yak!. I just bought a 2002 GLE. I was on the shoulder of a main road waiting to get on road. When I saw an openeing I started to accelerate, then some moron right behind me on other side of street shoots out of a driveway crosses over double yellow and is heading toward me. Hmmmmm hard brake or floor it... I FLOORED it! I am used to driving an 85 olds so I wasn't ready for what happened. The car took off like a damned rocket, the tires spun, not only did I leave rubber, it looked like a smoke show! I really dont care about the .5 second differances you all get into. When I need it this car LAUNCHES!
  • godeacsgodeacs Posts: 481
    Sounds like you've broken your new Max in well! I've been thinking the same thing - this car moves. All this talk about 0-60 speed counts only on a drag strip or racetrack....quibbling over fractions of a second in a "family" car is ridiculous....lol
  • sgrd0qsgrd0q Posts: 398
    Well, I guess it is interesting to know what the new Maxima is capable of. I for one would like to know. Purely out of curiosity.

I agree with you though. The car for what it is is fast enough. Why would one need a large 4-door sedan to accelerate faster. I have a 2001 GLE (with the 3.0L engine) and that is fast enough for me. 0.5 seconds in a 0-60 test for this car do not matter.

But can you feel a 0.5 second difference? You bet. I've owned/driven a number of cars, including my '97 M3, and anybody can feel the difference. And a one second difference feels like the difference between hardly moving, and shooting ahead in a rocket.
  • riezriez Posts: 2,361
    godeacs... Have you seen the TV and print ads for Nissan and Infiniti products lately? Nissan and Infinit are NOT pushing Altima, Maxima, or I-35 as sedate "family" cars. Nissan is aggressively advertising these cars as all around performance sedans. In that market, acceleration does matter and half a second can seem like an eternity!

Guess that is why Nissan is pushing Altima 3.5SE with 5-speed manual and Maxima SE with 6-speed manual (not to mention the hot Sentra SE)?

I love the I-35 print ad which shows the woman in a formal-type evening gown holding her racing helmut as she looks at her silver I-35.
  • Thanks for the input and sorry for the delay in replying. The dealer asked about the key/chip issue, but eventually couldn't find anything wrong that would explain why it didn't start. Sounds like it's the same quirk others had mentioned.
  • roar1roar1 Posts: 193
    I'm a longtime "lurker" and rarely do I post, however, all of this jibberish about USA vs. Japan
    Quality issues, compels me to comment.The Altima is made in Smyrna, Tenn. at a manufacturing plant that has been rated one of the best in the world. The Altima has an
    absolutely "bulletproof" reliability record. Also, two of the most highly acclaimed vehicles
    ( Camry/Accord) are built in the USA., with equally impressive reliability records.

What really matters is how a company has demonstrated its Design, Engineering, and
    Manufacturing expertise, and Nissan, Toyota, and Honda have done this in this country.
    No, I'm not going to buy a Hyundai made in Korea, or a Jetta from Mexico, but I definitly
    would buy a Maxima made in Smyrna, Tenn. Actually, I currently own a' 94 Altima and a 2kMax and quite frankly, I think the quality of Nissan's Japanese built cars is down a tad from the past.
    imho.
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    When I shopped for my 1995 Nissan Maxima, Honda and Toyota were still coming off some pretty bad press relative to quality control on the U.S. built Accord and Camry. That was a factor I considered, although I can't say it was a deciding factor. Nor do I think it's fair to assume Nissan might have similar problems in Smyrna. But the fact still remains that none of the higher end Japanese manufacturers have entrusted their US plants to build their flagship brands or models.

I would really like to see a detailed and objective study of US vs. Japanese plants, quality control systems and analysis of the fit and finish of the cars that come out of each. Perhaps it is only an "image" problem and the US-built cars are now every bit the quality of their Japanese counterparts.

Do you have a source for the rating of the Smyrna plant as "one of the best in the world" and does the source rate other plants as well? When I recently bought a Honda S2000, I heard repeated claims that the Tochigi, Japan plant where it is produced is considered to be "the best in the world" in terms of tecnology and quality control, but I never saw a source.

Thanks in advance if you can provide anything further.
  • OK-I looked at C&D from December- The new Infiniti i35 actually does 0-60 in 6.9 seconds. this is down from the previous model by about a full second. As such, a new 6-speed maxima should be about a second quicker. In the same issue, they test a 3.5 Altima automatic which did 0-60 in 7.3 which is a full second slower than the 5-speed Altima did it. A 5.9 second Maxima would be quite a performance (540i and GS400 territory for half the price) And I'll have to reconsider trading in my 2000 maxima for a new WRX (which makes my car feel like a Lincoln Town Car)
  • Yes..my 2000 maxima has 17" wheels and the turning radius is huge. Yes..the car is longer than our A4. However, my A4 also has stock 17" wheels. Didn't even know you can buy an A4 with 14s! new 1.8T A4's come stock with 15". Anyway, in the same residential road, to do a U-turn, the maxima would require to go over the sidewalk on the right side, turn and still hit the sidewalk on the other side of the road. The A4 does it within the road. Went to test drive the '02 maxima and asked sales guy about the huge turning radius and he tried to convince me that it wasn't that big by showing me its turning radius, ........in a huge empty parking lot. Well, thanks. It's kinda hard to see how tight the radius is in a parking lot!! :)

Also...ANYONE FROM THE BELLEVUE/EASTSIDE AREA (washington state)? I need to get some service done for my maxy, and to my dismay....Bellevue and Kirkland Nissan is.... "Temporarily Closed!!" What the heck is up with that?!!?

Back to the turning radius thing...
    I think it's a design flaw in the current model maximas. The wheel wells don't seem to be designed for 17" wheels, so to accomadate them, and prevent them from hitting the wheel wells when fully turned, they shortend the degree to which they can be turned....thus increasing the turning radius. Does anyone with the standard 16" wheels on their maxima have a problem with doign U-turns?
  • riezriez Posts: 2,361
    wannawrx1... Are you comparing apples to apples? The new I-35 is automatic transmission only. The former I-30 used to have a manual transmission as an option. (Not sure I ever saw one, but it was listed as available. Can't remember if 2001 I-30 had 5-speed manual as option or if that was killed off in 2000.) Published acceleration times for Altima 3.5SE 5-speed manual have been in the 6.25-6.50 second range. Not sure about the automatic.
  • 92drexel92drexel Posts: 153
    I think wanna is correct. I'm sure that the last year that the I30 was available with a manual transmission was the '99 model year. The 2nd generation I30/I35 (2000, 2001, and 2002) do not offer a manual (ala ES300 and TL) I believe.
  • tiger8tiger8 Posts: 120
    Don't know if this relates to the mysterious closing of Nissan dealerships in your area. A couple of weeks ago on the the Car Guys (click & clack, the tappet bros.) show on NPR, a woman called in from somewhere in Washinggton state and said her new Maxima's odometer was calibrated in KILOMETERS. Very mysterious, and when she returned to the dealership, it was closed. Some hanky panky obviously going on. Don't recall any more details.
  • Just took delivery of my 2002 Maxima GLE this week. Bought from CarsDirect.com, and had a less-than-impressive experience from them and their NJ dealer (I live in CT). Communication from CarsDirect to both me and the dealer was horrible, and also from the dealer to me. The paperwork and my trade-in were both handled poorly. Nobody seemed to know what was going on.

In spite of these problems, I did get the car for $400 over cost (although it seems that a recent Town Hall poster from Boston got a much better deal than I did). Nevertheless, the car was driven up to me from NJ, a 2 1/2 hour trip, which was appreciated, and delivered right to my door.

Initial impressions: I love the quiet, smooth ride of the car, and its luxurious interior. Fit and finish seems first class. Radio and climate controls are superbly laid out and easy to use.

Dislikes: The Bose stereo is a huge disappointment so far. I'm no car audio connoisseur, but I had a Bose system in my 1990 Buick Riviera that sounded far superior. The Maxima Bose seems to seriously lack clarity and crispness. I've heard some people say it needs to be "broken in," so I'm hoping maybe it will get better. As of now, I am most disappointed with it.

I also find it tiring to drive long distances because of the way the area where my left foot rests curves in, right where I would normally put it. Can't seem to find a comfortable place for it, and end up feeling cramped.

The instruction manual seems rather unclear in spots, especially concerning the HomeLink remote programming. Took me quite a while to figure out how to set that up, as it didn't always indicate if a button should be HELD after it is PRESSED (for those trying this set-up, the buttons on your "rolling" garage door opener's training module AND the car's Home Link console must both be pressed AND held, which may require 4 hands).

Does anyone have any suggestions on some rugged car mats for the snowy months to protect my nice new Maxima mats? Brookstone sells a set called "Waterhog" that I am considering.

Thanks!
  • I have a 6 speed with about 1,200 miles. Enjoy the car very much, with the following complaints:

BOSE
    - Bass isn't great, and the subwoofer rattles.
    - Random CD seems to play the 1-2-5 combo often.

Steering wheel control
    - Need to be lit up

Computer
    - I rather see instant figures instead of averages. Some question the accuracy of the numbers.

Other than that, I am happy with the looks, performance, etc.

I have the pant saver car mat. It isn't big enough and water will run off the back of the front mats.
  • trmichaels: check the Weathertech Premium or Luxury mats.
  • If those are the only complaints you have, I'm VERY impressed (other than the sub rattling)! LOL! :)

BTW, I'm getting tired of waithing for mine! :(
    seeya on the .org

Simon
  • roar1roar1 Posts: 193
    If you go to www.nissannews.com (6-14-01) you will find an article about the Harbour Report.
    This report comes out every year and ranks North American Automobile Plants ( sorry,not
    worldwide) in terms of manufacturing expertise.
    The Smyrna Plant was rated the # 1 Manufacturing Plant in N. America by the Harbour
    Report for the 7th year in a row in terms of efficiency. The report equates efficiency
    with quality.
    There are many automotive publications that do surveys, reports and awards. I will try
    to do some research to see if there are any more " worldly " reports or ratings. Sorry about being slightly off topic but the new Max. WILL be produced at this plant.
  • corkfishcorkfish Posts: 537
    I have a 93 Nissan which I believe was built in Smyrna. The car has been flawless. Nonetheless, correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the important parts ( engine, transmission etc) built in Japan and then shipped over for assembly? I thought all these US plants did was to put the parts that were made and built in Japan together.
  • I have had a loaded 01 SE Max for about 15 months, excellent car, BUT I don't like the Bose.
    My sub is also buzzing, and no I don't crank up the bass, the bass is muddy and the unit distorts at high volume, and to me the unit is tiring to listen to for an extended time at medium to high volume. I don't remember that with my '95 SE Max which also had the Bose. Those units did not have the Sub, BUT we're Bi-amped, each speaker had its own amp and it got LOUD without distorting. I drove my brothers '98 SE with the Bose and it also sounded great, clear with no distortion. BTW I also liked the reduced rake of the windshield, seemed like it had more head-room.
    Otherwise I think the car is the usual Max...Great, with no problems...

Duke
  • My 1997 Nissan pickup was built at the Smyrna plant, and has been dead reliable. As far as the Smyrna plant assembling Japanese parts, well, the engine block in my truck has a casting mark that says "Hecho y Mexico". Doesn't sound too Japanese to me...
  • Wow that was really funny that you said your left foot has no where to go. I have my GLE for 2 weeks and the only annoying thing is where to poit my left foot. THe car interior comes out to far where I would normally have my foot resting. Only option is to bring foot all the way in towards seat and lean knee to left against door, but then my leg is resting on the arm rest right angle and it digs in. Sorry for this post folks, but I just finished telling that to my wife then lo and behold I read same complaint here. As far as the instructions for the homelink, I disagree. I found it very simple. If I reacall(I did this 2 weeks ago) you press down for about 30 sec's to clear factory setting then hold remote next to the car transmitter on visor and prsee for a short time and poof they are now one and same!
  • danny25danny25 Posts: 119
    I don't have a Maxima but I think the homelink in my CL is the same. It's easy to program it if it's not a rolling code garage door, but if it is it is a lot more complicated. I have a rolling code garage door and have yet to program my homelink since it takes more work, and I'm a bit lazy right now.
  • bwiabwia Boston Posts: 1,267
    I am too embarrassed to ask for help, but I cannot get homelink to work with my Genie garage door opener.

Trmicheals, on my 2002 GLE, (Post #3684) the dealer reduced the invoice price by $300 for MA (I think that's advertising) and $726 for the hold back without much negotiation, resulting in a final price of $25,611. By the way, the paint matched perfectly on the added on spoiler, a dealer freebee, which was done outside the dealer shop.
  • I too had issues getting the Homelink transmitter to work with my opener (Genie). I think the problem was the instructions that came with the Max. I went to the Homelink website and got their intructions. After struggling with the Nissan instructions for almost an hour, I got it working in five minutes with the Homelink instructions.
  • I found it very easy to use. The only thing "complicated" about making it synchronize with a rolling code is that I had to haul out a step-ladder to press the red button on the receiver mounted near the ceiling in the garage. Took me a minute to find the right button. My mom's garage door is pre-rolling code, so it was just as easy as dabronxr describes.

I now have it set to left button opens my garage left door, right button for right door, middle for my mom's house. I love it, very convenient.
  • Easy to program, at least for regular non-rolling codes. I only have one garage door to open, so I will need to find doors for the other two :-)
  • canadianclcanadiancl Posts: 1,078
    Program your neighbours' :))