Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Maxima

Comments

• tboomtboom Posts: 8
    I've had my eye on a GLE for a bit was wondering if anyone thought the traction control was a necessary option or not. Of course, getting the traction control also gets you the heated seats, sunroof, and front side airbags.

I also noticed the harshness of the ride in my test drive. But never thought to check the tire pressure.

Also anyone got any feeling on what, if any, incentive Nissan will offer next.

Thanks,

T-Boom
  • The SE is a bit rough for my liking, but I do appreciate the handling so I'll let out a little air and be happy with it.
  • ilitilit Posts: 71
    Keep the pressure at 32 psi, it'll make big differences and you'll love the ride!
  • > Also anyone got any feeling on what, if any, incentive Nissan will offer next.

I currently have a 2002 SE on hold, awaiting my 1998 Integra GSR to be sold. Dealer A said they have 0.9% financing for 12,24 or 36 months, through the end of Feb. Dealer B said 0.9% for either 12 or 24 months. What's up w/ conflicting facts from different dealers? Is this normal? The dealers are in Dayton vs. Cincinnati.
  • th83th83 Posts: 164
    I'm just wondering because I've yet to see a TCS on/off button in any of the Maxima/I35 interior photos that I've seen. If it isn't defeatable, I find it very impressive that Car and Driver was still able to get 6.9 seconds out of an I35.
  • gg2k2segg2k2se Posts: 109
    I had Traction control on my 2000 SE and found it to be a slight advantage during snowy or rainy weather. It does slow down the engine and upshift if the wheels start spinning. Not a must have, but a nice to have. The TCS OFF toggle switch is on the dash, right hand side, behind steering wheel.

I actually think side airbags are a definite if you're spending the money on a new car. I really thought the heated seats were of little value until I started using them, now we love them and just traded up to a 2002 which has the heated steering wheel, also great....(as my pickup truck driving friend said...."you've turned into a wuss").
  • Just bought a 2002 Maxima GLE in Sterling Mist w/ the black leather interior. I got every option except the navigation system. I had been searching for months and narrowed down my choices to the Acura TL-S, I-35, Volvo S60, and the Maxima. I enjoyed all of the cars but for the money I didn't think the Maxima could be beat. All of the other cars were at least $3500 more with the options I wanted on them. I got every option the others had and a few more. I am looking forward to my experience in the Maxima. Thanks to everyone who helped me along the way to choose a Maxima.
  • ssn66:

Here’s what Tom and Ray of NPR Car Talk say about your first oil change:

It IS a good idea to do the first oil change at 500 or 1,000 miles. Sometimes, there are small metal shavings left over from the manufacturing process, and it's a good idea to change the oil and get rid of them. After that, our recommendation is that you change the oil at 5,000 mile intervals.

The whole article:

http://cartalk.cars.com/Columns/Archive/1994/July/17.html

• godeacsgodeacs Posts: 481
    You made a wise choice! I looked at some of the same cars as you and reached the same conclusion....
  • I was going to get a 17" wheel and tire to replace the space saver spare for my new 2002 SE. I called the parts department at the dealer and they told me the the wheel is $576 plus tax!!! So in order to get a matching full-size wheel and tire it will $576 for the wheel and $155 for the tire plus tax!
  • Try this site you should be able to get a factory wheel at a discount price.

http://www.ackerwheel.com/
  • Just test drove a 2002 Maxima 6 speed. Overall the car was fun to drive, but I did notice you had to get the clutch a bit off the floor before it would engage -something I am not use to in my 97 Integra GSR. My question is regarding the fuel starvation problem that has been reported to occur on 2000 (2001?) model year manual transmission vehicles. Is the fuel starvation problem an issue on the 2002 models? During my test drive, I noticed a momentary hesitation in the car's willingness to speed up while giving the car moderate to heavy throttle. Has anyone else experienced this? Is this related to the fuel starvation problem?

Those of you who own 2002 manual transmission cars, are you happy with them overall?
  • Does anyone know how long Nissan has offered a rebate on the Maxima and will it continue past this month? Carsdirect is currently showing a $1,000 rebate through 2/28/02
  • I think you are talking about the fuel cut issue - sorry I don't know if it exists on th 02. But the momentary hestitation is not associated to the fuel cut. That is due the fact that the 02s have the computer control the throttle (no more wires like the 00-01s) so the momentary hestitation is the signal being sent from TPS to the open the throttle. It's a side effect of the electronic throttle.
  • 92drexel92drexel Posts: 153
    ...better yet, buy a rim from a junked maxima. A totaled 2002 SE may be hard to find, but you may be able to get a rim from a 2000 or 2001.

Or you could go to www.tirerack.com and buy a whole set of rims for <$1,000. I agree that the dealers are a rip-off.

habitat:

You could make the same argument about the current BMW M3 (333 HP) versus the previous generation M3 (240 HP). All those extra ponies (93 if my math is correct) gets you to 60 mph, in what? 0.2 secs faster (4.7 vs 4.9)? Big whup. The torque rating plays a larger role in 0-60 sprints anyway. But I agree that we can get caught up in HP ratings.
  • You might be able to get the rim from a 2000-2001, but remember the rims are slightly different. The 2002 doesnt have the center cap and the spokes are slightly different. Personally I wish when I got my 2k2 SE that I could have swapped with someone for the 2k2 I35 rims they are sweet.
  • JUST PURCHASED TODAY, FEB. 21. MSRP WAS $29745.OO
    HAS BOSE SYSTEM, LEATHER PACKAGE, SUNROOF, MATS, SPLASH GUARDS, DEFLECTOR. PAID $26475.OO. HOW DOES THIS COMPARE TO WHAT OTHERS ARE PAYING? I FEEL LIKE I GOT A GOOD DEAL.
  • Thanks for all the suggestion. I think will call up a couple of wrecking yards to see if I can find a 2002 17" wheel from a wrecked Maxima. I found a 2001 17" wheel on ebay forsale. Also, I will try ackerwheel.com

Does anyone know if there are any dealers parts department will sell the wheel at a discount? When I used to own Audis our internet listserve group has an arrangement with a dealer in California and a dealer on the East Coast who will sell us parts at 10% over their cost. It worked out real well.
  • aftyafty Posts: 499
    There are two parts departments I know off that offer discounts to Nissan owners, though not specifically to Maxima owners.

The first is Courtesy Nissan (www.courtesyparts.com). Call them and tell them you are a member of the SE-R Mailing list, and they should give you 25% off.

Mossy Nissan in CA gives discounts to Altimas.net members, but I'm not sure how much. Look at this thread for details:

http://www.altimas.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19725
  • 92drexel92drexel Posts: 153
    I forgot that the rims on the 2002 SE are slightly different than the 2000/2001 SE. However if all you want is a spare, than finding a rim from a junked 2000 or 2001 may be the ticket. I bought a full sized rim for my max and paid <$100 (including the tire). So it depends on what you want.

I would call a Nissan dealer to make sure that a 2000/2001 SE rim fits a 2002 (I'm almost sure it will because I don't think that the bolt pattern, off-set, etc has changed). Then again, maybe you'll get lucky and find a junked 2002.

Goodluck.

montmax:

tirerack.com has some sweet rims if you want to look different. I bought a set about a year ago along with some performance tires. They mount and balance the tires and ship the package to your door (or to a garage for install). Very easy.

I've noticed very little difference in the ride except when the road has numerous ripples. I've kept the old set for the winter (snow, ice, and road salt). That would be cheaper than buying a new set from a Nissan or Infiniti dealer (>$2000).

You might want to browse their site.
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    ..about torque being as important as horsepower in 0-60. But even those numbers appear inflated by some manufacturers.

As for your BMW comparison, I was seriously considering an M3 3 years ago and again in November, before I got my S2000. I was able to test drive both the 1999 (240 hp / 236 lb ft) model and the 2001 (333/269) model. For me, the difference in power felt significant, albeit most noticable at speeds of 50-70+. I had thought the 1999 model was rated at 5.5 from 0-60 (by BMW), compared to 4.8 for the 2001 model. In any event, I do know the difference between a 190hp 1995 Maxima 5-speed and a 255hp 2002 6-speed is marginal at best.

I am a big fan of Nissan. Every time I drive my S2000, I acknowledge that it wouldn't be possible if my 1995 Maxima had died at 120k miles like a lot of less solidly built cars do. However, I give credit to BMW for significantly improving the performance of the cars accross almost all lines from 1995 to 2002. Look at the difference between a 1995 325i (189 hp) and a 2002 330i (225 hp) and you will find vastly improved performance. Nissan has been a little too pre-occupied with "marketing" a higher performance Maxima without delivering it to the same degree as BMW, IMHO. Not that the Honda Accord or Toyota Camry are any better.
  • canadianclcanadiancl Posts: 1,078
    unless they start publishing the hp measured at the wheels.
  • I just have about 300 miles on my new GLE and I LOVE it!! I want to use synthetic oil in it, everyone please give me advice on the best oil to use; Mobil 1, Pennzoil, Castrol SynTec, etc. Also what brand of filter. I have always used Fram in the past on other cars.
  • I recommend Mobil 1 5W30
  • Almost any synthetic is better than Dinosaur juice. But I like Royal Purple. Not as famous as the others but give a gander at their web site testimonials. Also Warren Johnson uses it in his Pro Stock car (as of 2001 at least) don't know about this year. Ck it out and make your decision.
  • I have my new Max Since December. My old vehicle was a mini-van. You can imagine they ride very differantly. I have noticed that if I am at a stop sign, or coming out of a parking lot, and I push the gas pedal with much the same pressure I am used to from my minivan, that I hear a loud screaching noise, followed by lots of smoke and the smell of burning rubber. does anyone else have this problem. Man I love my new Maxima. Get outta my way!!!
  • kd6aw1kd6aw1 Posts: 116
    Have 45,000 miles on my Toyo tires and it is time for new tires. What would be best? Looking for quiet long lasting tires, weather here in San Diego is dry with no freezing. Have had good luck with Michelin tires in the past on other cars. Any advice would be appreciated.

Paul
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 14,948
    Tirerack.com is a good place to compare brands. I started looking recently (also have a '99 SE), and am leaning toward the yokohama Avids for all around performance. I live in NJ so reasonable winter capabilities are important, but no real snow use.

supposed to be a very good blend of performance and quiet comfort, at a very attractive price.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's) and 2007 Volvo S40 (mine)

• I do not like the Avids. I had a set of them on my Audi before I bought my 2002 SE. I was not sure if it was just my luck or what but I had 3 out of 4 tires that went out of round after only 9,000 miles. At first I thought my wheels were bent but they all checked out fine. Three of them were replaced and just before I traded in my car for the new SE another one went out round again. They also have a tendancy to flat spot after sitting in the garage for a few days. I had the H-rated Avids but I am not sure if the V-rated ones will have the same problem. I don't like the ride on them either. I think the Potenza RE92s on my new SE ride and handle much better than the Avids.
  • pwitzpwitz Posts: 51
    I have spare wheels from my 2k2 GLE...email me at pwitzleb@rochester.rr.com if you want to talk more....