Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Maxima

Comments

• It's called "refueling"
  • eblumeblum Posts: 52
    I have to believe that hp ratings have to be somewhat close to the real figure. Look at what happened with the Ford Mustang Cobra and more recently Hyundai. Both companies misrepresented hp figures and got hit with lawsuits.

If Nissan's figures are wrong...someone should call them to the carpet.
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    From my own experience, seemingly confirmed by Road and Track, the 2000 Nissan Maxima SE 5-speed with 222 horsepower was slower than the 1995 5-speed with 190 horsepower (0-60 in 7.0 and 6.7 seconds respectively). They both had essentially the same 3.0 liter V6, with the modifications in 2000 to the exhaust system.

I know there are a lot of other factors that could lead to this result. Vehicle weight, etc., etc. But the point is that Nissan went hog wild "marketing" the horsepower increase when every test of the new car showed it to be the same or slower than it's predicessor. That's why I referred to it as more marketing BS than "engineering reality". Maybe I should have said "real world results" instead.

As far as "calling Nissan to the carpet", they have had their share of embarassments. As drexel92 pointed out, the current Maxima was initially rated at 260+ horsepower and then, after some challenges, all the brochures and other materials changed to 255. The Q45 has been resoundly beaten up for hiding its 340 horsepower somewhere other than the engine compartment. Test it against a similar weight 282 hp 540i and it's pretty embarassing. I'm not sure this stuff is worthy of lawsuits, given the state of world affairs. But I would still let my butt-o-meter validate performance rather than rely on horsepower figures that, even if technically accurate, are not always directly correlated to performance.
  • krenarkrenar Posts: 2
    apparently i'm new here i just hav a qs, i'm gettin a max next month, i'm wonderin how much do u guys think it would be for an 02 max with 30 thousand miles or less with standard tranny? Thx
    I also don't think lawsuits should be used as long as the company makes good on their promises. Ford fixed the underpowered cars and Hyundai is giving extended warranties. I hope these cases make manufactures think long and hard before they post bogus numbers.
  • regfootballregfootball Posts: 2,166
    I am liking the 2004 exterior more and more now (like the orange!), but why is the dash design so freaking ugly? I thought the Altima was sposed to be a premium car.
  • kennyg5kennyg5 Posts: 360
    If you think the Altima is a premium car, think again. It is almost like saying the "premium" Bose system in the 03 Max is an audiophile's dream machine. Ha ha ...

In any event, I don't understand your sudden and totally unexpeccted comment about the Altima while you are talking about the Max. Am I missing something??
  • Click on over to the smart shopper - real world value link and a guy by the name of Terry will help you out. Be sure and give him as much info as possible including options, location and condition. Tell him I sent you and he'll even throw in a bowl of soup with his answer. :)
  • berbelberbel Posts: 167
    Re yur post 6165...........

Very well stated and I couldn't agree with you more. I distinctly remember the venerable NISSAN
    initially marketing the Max that year as "260 hp"
    and thinking to myself....."uh, kicking it up to
    Acura CL Type "S" levels." Then I turned around
    and saw the final product rated at "255 hp" and
    thought...."I wonder who was responsible for that
    corporate goof?" I suppose I can't blame them for
    trying to be "competitive" BUT let's do it honestly.

berbel
  • I can confirm the HP debacle. I have a 1995 GLE and my Mom had a 2000 SE. My '95 will walk all over the 2000, even with 130K on it. Somehow I think the car got heavier. Either that or the '95-'99 made 220+hp all along and they underrated it on purpose. Anyone dyno a '95 and a '00?
  • pbvdqpbvdq Posts: 14
    Hi All,
    I bought an '03 SE (Maxima of course) 2 weeks ago and I love it so far. I hear a slight rev-ing noise too at "take off." I find myself letting go of the gas pedal when I hear it because it sounds like I "punched it" (but I didn't). Did you find anything out about the "whining noise"?

I almost bought an Audi A4 but I'm super glad I got the Maxima.

Thanks!
    sorry Kenny, I meant MAXIMA. I stand corrected. Sit in an Altima and you'd never accuse it of being PREMIUM.

oops!
    My friend stated the other night that GM's 3.8 liter engine (in the Grand Prix) is a better engine than the VQ? I told him that he was smokin crack and the Gen II(or III) 3.8 is older than my grandfather. Anyone have an opinion?

I think that Nissan has a great engine, good low-end and high-end power. All I know is that I can be doing 80 and drop it out of O/D and punch it....110 comes up real quick. My old Grand Prix would have had to take a coffee break.....
  • berbelberbel Posts: 167
    The VQ has been rated among the top ten engines
    on the planet for 8 years in a row.

Understanding how many engines are manufactured
    for cars puts that fact into some perspective.

To the best of my humble and limited knowledge,
    no American manufacturer shares that "prestige."
    Certainly not General Motors with their vintage
    pushrod V-6.

Perhaps others who share this board with us will
    comment as well!

berbel
    I suggest challenging your friend to find a single component of a Grand Prix that is made with the same quality and refinement as that of a Maxima.

Pontiac's 3.8 liter puts out a rather unimpressive 200 horsepower. They need to supercharge it to get up to 240 horsepower, which is still 15 less than the smaller 3.5 liter naturally aspirated Maxima engine (47 hp less than the 350Z is rated). Hand someone like Honda 3.8 liters and a supercharger and they will give you back 450-500 horsepower with a 9,000 rpm redline. I've heard it claimed that GM engines are "durable" by my friends who buy American. What really happens in most cases is that the rest of the car falls apart before the engine hits 100k miles.

I reluctantly rented a new Grand Prix a few months ago on travel and can assure you that my 8 year old 190hp Maxima 5-speed w/ 135k miles would handily beat it in every measure of performance, not to mention fit and finish. It's a sad commentary, but as long as there are people out there that either can't or don't distinguish between quality and crap, GM will keep producing the latter.
  • alexg4alexg4 Posts: 14
    I bought an 03 GLE a couple of months back and was foolish enough to agree to install a passive alarm system that they offered at the dealership. I definitely overpaid for it ($500) but since this was my first car purchase I didn't know any better. For those of you out there who have the same alarm system, or know something about, how good is it and what major features does it have? I know that it doesn't have headlight sensors since my HIDs were stolen and I didn't hear a beep. How much would I've been charged if I installed the same system at an independent mechanic?

Thanks.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    "thehollywoodextra.com" is generally thought to be a site full of photoshopped fakes. If you search for that on this site, you'll find lots of hits and lots of criticism. :-)
    tell you friend to lay off the crack, and then go drive a 3800 and VQ back to back.....that should do it!
  • marsha7marsha7 Posts: 3,676
    what a concept...how do you do it, and where can it be done without shame or embarrassment???
  • jg28jg28 Posts: 257
    And one of their best was the LX5 (the 3.5L DOHC in the Oldsmobile Intrigue and Aurora). I drove an Intrigue for 2 years prior to the Maxima I drive now. That engine was also named as one of the top ten twice in a row and was referred to by several automags as "gloriously expensive" to produce. It was based on Cadillac's Northstar technology and componentry. It was only rated at 215 HP though but 230 lbs of torque. It's main problem is that it was mated with a crappy transmission and killed because it was so expensive. I'm definitely no foreign elitist and definitely don't discount "American" automobiles like some of you do here but I'll say that my Maxima is screwed together better than my Intrigue was.
    hey don't get me wrong, the intrigue motor was pretty nice too. too bad GM killed a desirable product. I think its all marketing BS about an Intrigue motor being 'too expensive'. Its all PR crap....every other automaker builds 'complex' powertrains and sells their offerings for the same prices or less than GM does.
    would be how I would describe the engine in a BMW "M", Mercedes "AMG" or some other such engineering masterpiece. If a 3.5 liter DOHC engine putting out 215 hp is overly expensive for GM to produce it shouldn't be labeled glorious; rather it should be called it what it really is -"inept".

I'm no foreign elitist, and I am both pleased and proud that the US is the world leader in many industries. But US consumers not expecting more out of US automobile manufacturers is, IMO, perpetuating the problem. I take no pleasure from the fact that there is not a single GM, Ford or Chrysler product that I could objectively compare to a $18,000 Accord, $26,000 Maxima or $45,000 BMW 530i and conclude that they are superior or even competitive in terms of overall build quality or performance.
    I'm glad you could make the point (and truth) in that one post that I've been TRYING to make in a couple hundred posts.......guess I won't ever be a writer.....

"But US consumers not expecting more out of US automobile manufacturers is, IMO, perpetuating the problem."

Yes, the buy Amurchan crowd that I real feel in most cases is guided by some sort of patriotic feeling more than they will admit.

And Detroit feeds off it because they know they've always got that percentage of Americans that think that way and will always let them off the hook from building true class leading products. Right there, there's no motivation to be the best. No motivation to push the envelope.

I don't think all Detroit's products need to be class leading or press-renowned, but it would be nice if some of their products could go head to head with the best in the cars arena.
  • jg28jg28 Posts: 257
    "Gloriously Expensive would be how I would describe the engine in a BMW "M", Mercedes "AMG" or some other such engineering masterpiece."

That runneth over with elitism. No, you're not a foreign elitist. You're just an elitist. You're calling an engine inept with minimal knowledge of the product and comparing an over $50,000 car with a $23,000 one. Apples and diamond oranges.

"...think its all marketing BS about an Intrigue motor being 'too expensive'" Marketing by whom? GM? If you're GM and you're building cars like Impala and Grand Prix and they're outselling the Intrigue 5 to 1, and the bigger sellers have cheaper engines, the bottom line is, you drop the LX5 engine in favor of cheaper, more popular ones.
  • kennyg5kennyg5 Posts: 360
    While I appreciate the apple vs. diamond orange argument and analogy, I tend to agree that American cars generally are less reliable, durable and sophisticated than foreign cars, particularly European and Japanese cars.

Of course, I am not comparing GM, Ford and Chrylers against Kia, Yugo, Hyundai and other similarly classed foreign automakers. Instead, I am focussing on the cars themselves, particularly comparably-priced cars (so they would be apple to apple), rather than their country of origin, be it Europe, Asia, US, Mexico or elsewhere.

Consumer magazines have consistently rated, based upon survey feedbacks, Japanese cars first in terms of reliability, European cars second and US cars a close third; other cars such as Yugo and Hyundai are said to be improving but with substantial grounds to catch up.

Although I do not know the demographics of those who respond to surveys, I assume the surveys are conducted in the U.S. and most of the respondents are U.S. citizens and permanent residents. And I also assume most consumers do not make their purchases based upon nationalism or patriotism, but rather the quality and reliability of the products. In fact, I would venture to guess that but for the rental fleet cars and big purchases by governmental units, the number of American cars sold per year would be substantially less than what the reported figures show.

American automakers simply have to be more competitive if they want Americans to purchase homemade products! Look at the how the GM corporate board was shaken up when shareholders revolted. Management must focus on improving value and quality if they want to stay in place. The same applies to giving car purchasers the value and quality they expect and deserve. Survival of the fittest, that is the law of the jungle and the global market, unfortunately.

Sorry I diverged too much from the theme of this Board -- Yes, we should talk about Maximas and not philosophy, corporate governance or macro economics.
    "and they're outselling the Intrigue 5 to 1, and the bigger sellers have cheaper engines, the bottom line is, you drop the LX5 engine in favor of cheaper, more popular ones."

More popular, lets see, the Camry and Accord each outsold the Impala by almost twice as much, yet you still claim the Impala is 'popular'. In a world where GM wants to be king, and Chevy desperately needs to come close to even resembling a prince, they should stop with the marketing speak and just try to build a car that come close to topping the sales charts for once. Maybe they could do it if they put a more 'popular' motor in their car.

How about, take the Intrigue motor and make it available in the Impala? Hey but then sales would increase because someone would actually want the car. Can't have that. Not if you're a GM exec. That'd make too much sense.........

Back to Maxima......is it just me or do the doors on the 2004 Max look like they have almost the exact smae character line as the Altima?...except door handles are different.
  • bcohenbcohen Posts: 58
    For a long time (and maybe still is) the 3.8L GM V6 was on Ward's top 10 engines list, rightfully or not.
    We're s'posed to be talking about the Maxima. ;-)

The discussion in the last few messages is already happening in one or more topics on the News & Views board. Check it out.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 14,730
    saw a red one today at the Phila. auto show. Actually looked better in person than net pictures, certainly different than the current model (or my 1999). Not too thrilled with the grill however.

Couldn't get a good look at the insides (it was on a platform), but could clearly see the individual binacle pods for the guages (3 of them). Wonder what that looks like from the drivers seat?

Overall, they certainly differentiated it from the outgoing model. I think it will end up being basically an Altima with more funky styling cues, and hopefully a higher quality interior. And less torque steer.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's) and 2007 Volvo S40 (mine)