Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Maxima

Comments

• bamadjbamadj Posts: 18
    JoeNissan, you stated TCS can be turned off and indeed it can; however, it will have to be every time you start the car. The default is ON. Is there any way to keep it off without having to toggle the switch...

It's not going to kill me, but just curious... Thanks.
  • dhoffdhoff Posts: 282
    Your best route may be to try to find some "take-off" Maxima steel wheels from a Nissan dealer. They may get these from a GXE that someone wanted alloy wheels on. You might want to try a junkyard or "automotive recycling center" also.

You could try emailing dealers, and there is also a used Nissan parts place online also. Of course I've forgotten the name of it.

Good luck.

Dave
  • I thought I'd put this on here first since I
    always read this thread...I am seeling my pride and
    joy ..2000 maxima SE, metalic grey, just broken in
    with only 7500 miles, 5spd, incredible
    accelaration...Light grey sports cloth interior..I
    believe my baby stickered at around $25,000, don't
    remember..The CAr is absolutely Showroom
    condition!!!!!!! I have to sell it because my job
    is relocating me....I figured the first 20,000
    takes it...I'm in Northern NJ, so if any body from
    the area is considering buying a great new 2000
    maxima you might want to give this a look other wise it will be traded in for a work car...if
    anyone would like further info please email me at
    MISEL00@aol.com...Thank you!!!!!!
    PS..those are double zeros after my Email addy
  • teoteo Posts: 2,508
    Why can't you take the car with you?
  • By reading all of your stories, i think i was very luck. seems cars come this way: sunroof only or all of three options(srf, tcs, dlx) together. when i ordered my Gle with TSC only, the salesman told me it's easier to find the car with sunroof, but they end up given me a car with sunroof only w/o telling me or refund. but i was very luck to get meridain PKG and spoiler +some minor options for free after i find out i was over paid. they told me it's impossible to find a car with (srf & tcs)
    or tcs only. they said most cars come with srf, tcs and Dlx, or srf only. i think both of salesman will try to sale you more options later!! just make sure put everything on paper when you give deposit. by the way, umpopa. why don't you try another dealership if you think there is a "game" behind the joyful experience shopping and test driving. maybe, you could get better deal, then you don't have to go through long painful and exciting three months and end up with big disspointment of result: they cancel your order! i am sorry, sgrd0q.

hey joe thank for the info of X-trail, here is a link for who is interesting of Nissan X-trail
    http://www.cardesignnews.com/events/paris2000/features/nissan-xtrail/

willy
  • teoteo Posts: 2,508
    That Nissan X-Trail looks sweet!. It makes the new '01 Rav4 look lame by comparison. The CRV? Forget it! a 19th century trike!

Hope Nissan brings it here.
  • In my opinion, I think what you see there ae the "X Trail", will be the upcoming restyled "X Terra" here in the states. I could be wrong but...why else would Nissan have 2 mini-utes ? And it looks very close in size and shape to the X Terra...have to wait and see.

Joe
  • As long as they used some sort of torque limiter, they'll be just fine. Some dealers, as ours does, use a special torqued head on the impact wrench....does the same thing as a torque wrench.

As for the TCS, if you wanted to...you COULD simply yank the fuse for the TCS system., although then you can't use it at all until the fuse id replaced. I would just leave it alone anyhow....it does nothing unless it's needed to begin with. The auto Maxima isn't going to leave any black lines at the grren light like the 5 spd anyhow..lol.

Hope I've helped.

Joe
  • I ordered my new 01 SE Max on July 3rd and it arrived at the dealer in So. Cal. on Oct 6TH, exactly as I ordered it, A Sterling Mist SE Auto., Bose, SE C&C Pack, Meridian Pack, SE Leather, and Mats. Thats it, no Tcs ,no wind deflector, and no CD changer...You can order a car from Nissan as long as you get the correct option packages specified.
    No sweat, I got exactly what I wanted, it does take about three months to get it.

Duke
  • lsflsf Posts: 98
    Hey, let's face it. The dealers will tell you they can get you something when they know they can't. Then after a while, you get impatient and buy what they have. Once you know what you want (you should be a little flexible on color and some options)...go see what one local dealer has. You will probably find that they don't have exactly what you want. The reason is..they often package things SR, TCS and meridien are good examples of this. Negotiate as best you can. Leave a deposit. Then call around to other dealerships, tell them what you want and start to negotiate. I think it works best if you end up going back to where you want to buy the car from and say...I've found this over here for $$ less. Evenutally, you either take the car with fewer options at a good price...or you get the more expensive car with more options thrown in for similar $$. Hey, it worked for me. :) These guys want to sell you a car.....at the end of the day, you want to drive a
    Maxima!
  • My order in Maine was put in early in August for a GLE w/o a sunroof or CD changer but including everything else (including Meridian package). The car was built on 10/25 and on its way from Japan to Seattle on 10/28 - it is probably just arriving in Seattle about now. Unfortunately, it has a CD player that I didn't want. I would agree that you can't get it EXACTLY like you want. And in this case, there was little reason for the dealer to try to sell me extra stuff - I'm paying $200 over invoice.

I now live in Indiana - next week I drive back to Maine to leave my car for the trade-in -- but I don't think the GLE will get from Seattle to Maine before the end of the month. Time will tell!
  • canadianclcanadiancl Posts: 1,078
    If anyone decides to buy in Canada and is close to Vancouver, the dealer I would recommend is Southside Nissan. Best service in sales and service I've experienced. The owner is a hands-on type of guy who's at the dealer most days talking to customers.

If anyone is interested, let me know and I could line him up with the owner and/or one of the sales reps.
  • mhammy84mhammy84 Posts: 167
    stopped by at the dealership today to see if they had any used 97 I30s i could test out and compare with mine in regard to the excessive vibration I am experiencing. A quick look at the used car section, and they had one '97 I30, and a '98 I30. So i went in (I wasnt driving my I30 today), and talked to the Service Manager. I asked if he could print up the TSB for the problem, but he was kinda busy (I didnt call ahead). He handed me the keys to the '97 and '98, and i took out the '97 first. Upon start up, the RPMs jolted upon start, which is normal for all cars. However, it suddenly dipped to 100 RPMs!!! The car shook like crazy, and it kicked back up to over 1000 (the engine was very cold). Then i drove it around until it warmed up, and I noticed it had the same problems as mine...except much worse! The entire car was vibrating like CRAZY (with headlights/foglights on). The 97 had 36K miles on it. Then i hopped into the '98 which ALSO had 36K miles on it. I let it warm up, and it drove beautifully (just like the 2000 I30's, Maximas, etc...basically drove the way IT SHOULD drive). The 98 also did not have that hesitation from first to second the way my 97 and the dealer's used 97 had. Their 97 also exhibited that loud "helicopter" type chopping sound like mine, all absent from the 98, which was quiet, smooth, and did not hesitate. Luckily the Service Manager was just parking the 97 when i pulled in with the 98, and i told him, "This is the way it should drive." I told him what others were telling me on this Maxima board which was that the problem lies in either the motor mounts, or that the TPS is bad. So he said he would call and talk to the Nissan rep and see what was going on...I will call back tomorrow to see what he says. Big, any insight you can provide into rough idle associated with a bad TPS? Anything else that can cause it? My service Manager said that the motor mounts in my car are NOT electronic, instead, they are sillicone filled. I have also heard of bad fuel injectors that could be causing the problem...what do you think of all this???? Thanks!
  • I have read many posts regarding replacing bulbs, but no one seems for sure bout one question. I have just purchased a pair of h4 100 watts for my max, but the reccommended wattage is like 55 for the headlights. I was wonderin if i have to change my harnass in order to use the 100 watts, and if i dont change the harnass and use the bulbs will my stock harnass melt or will it damage my headlight unit ??? Thanks.
  • I spoke with several dealers and they said they could not order a vehicle. 1sf hit it right on the head-they know you are anxious to get your new car, so they tell you what you want to hear and then you take what they have. I wanted a 2001 SE sterling mist w/5 speed and c&c and waited 6 weeks through carsdirect. I then asked if they could tell me if they could see it on a build schedule and they said no, so I settled for an automatic.

If they order the vehicle, they should be able to tell exactly what date it is going to be built and add in some time for transport. They are just waiting for a car with your specs to come in. That is why some on this board have been told by their dealers that they cannot package certain options together. The dealer knows that uncommon option packages are not likely to come through the pipeline, so they steer you away from the oddball requests.

People say they ordered a certain car and then it comes in slightly different. Is it that the dealer is so incompetent that they ordered it wrong, or that the plant can't build what is on their schedule?

I also find it hard to believe that Nissan would require a 3 month lead time like everybody seems to be quoting. I am in the materials management field and can tell you that if Nissan is not more flexible than that, they are in trouble (then again maybe that's why they are). Joenissan, is this assessment correct?
  • I love my '00 Maxima except for one thing. I've noticed that as time has gone by (now have 22k miles), the wheels (especially in front) seem to be feeling out-of-balance. I took it into my local tire shop for balancing. It seemed to make the problem worse. I took it back and they used their more sensitive balance machine. That seemed to reduce the vibration significantly. However, now it seems that it's slowly returning. The tire shop made an interesting comment. They told me that because the rims on the maxima only allow for balance weights to be placed on the inside part of the rim (there's no place for balance weights to be attached to the outside rim) that it was more difficult to balance the tires because out-of-balance vibration happens not only up and down, but also sideways. Because they cannot perfectly balance the tires without the option to put weights on both sides, the tires will be more susceptible to what they called dynamic balance problems (side-to-side shimmy). Has anyone else experienced this? Maybe it has to do more with rotor warping. I'm a very sensitive driver, so I really want to resolve this.
  • The 17's can be properly balanced. They do have an "outter" weight...it's a tape weight located just inside the spokes. This does the same thing as an outter rim weight...IF it's done properly, and on a properly calibrated balancer. Try and find a dealer or tire shop that uses a "Load balancer"...they're more accurate since they acually put a driving load on the tire while balancing.

Gregg...As I've said before ....Nissan cannot special order a car from Japan. All they can do is search for the one you want thats already produced, and on our shores. Thats always been the case. Camrys' Accords etc may be different since they're built here.
    Nissan offers some option pkgs, and variations of different equiptment. Keep in mind also that they're gonna built more of what sells most. For instance....although in theory, you can get a GLE w/o a sunroof but....it's not a popularly deleted item so...that's what they build. They DO make them but...in a small quantity so....it'll be hard to find, as someone here as already stated.
    Nissan is doing quite well, with all projected sales being surpassed on ALL models for the end of 99, and to date.
    maybe if and when the Maxima is built here, you'll be able to special order one....we'll have to see.

Joe
  • I in fact did order my Max EXACTLY the way I wanted it. My lease on my old car was up in mid Oct., and I went into the Nissan store in late June and was informed that we had a 5 day window in early July to order. PERFECT, I knew I needed a car in Oct., The car does in fact take about 3 months. You do have to order the packages as Nissan mandates...Ex..If you want leather on a SE you must take the C/C pack, and the Bose, and the Meridian mandates the C/C pack. I wanted all of those, my only question was leather or cloth, I took leather but I could have taken the cloth. Just think heated cloth seats!!! I guess I ordered a loaded SE, but I didn't want TCS, deflector, CD changer or flaps like the other loaded SE's on the lot had, and I wanted a new 01.
    So I ordered, and in fact ordered two, one Sterling Mist, which I took, and one Grey Lustre which I obviously didn't, looks great clean but...
    The car is in the garage, and its all good so far...
    Duke
  • Wrong you are. They may tell you they're ordering it but....sorry...can't be done.

They just do a search for the car you want, and...if it's nowhere to be found, they wait...they'll wait however long you let them, until the car you want is either found at another dealer or, finally comes off the boat. Nissan CANNOT special order from Japan.

Joe
    I'm in the investment and our auto analyst recently had interesting comments about Nissan/Renault. In order to reduce inventories (of sub assemblies and parts) Nissan hopes to move to a build-to-order system. What remains to be seen is whether this will work and whether or not they are building to the dealer's orders or consumer's orders. Keep in mind that consumers are not customers of Nissan products...the dealers are. Consumers are customers of the dealer!
    I need to proof read b4 I post....it should read "investment business"
  • Placed my order for tires, wheels and wheel covers this morning. Compared Discount Tires Direct and Tirerack, with the former offering some savings. Delivery times were the same for both.

Thanks, again and watch out for the crazies on the road.
  • Joe i think you are right, when a salesman told you that they will put special order for you car, they just do a search around near states, if they find one, well both side are happy, but if they can't, they just wait for the fortune during next three months, and hope new shipment from oversea which contain a car you want or very CLOSE MATCH ONE. they got my first car from NJ, i live NY. Guess what! you could say i am boring, got nothing to do my job (lol) i just called up my dealer about the leather seat for SE, he told me that you don't have to get c/c or DLX if you order leather seat. Duke, i think your dealer just want to make some more money from you.

By the way, it's always better to negotiate the price by the end of the month, the dealership have to make sales and commission report to Nissan, sometimes salesman or dealership will give up some their own commission to get your dealer.

willy
  • sorry!! got your name spell wrong!!!
  • Joe;
    You are entitled to your opinion even when it is wrong, and in this case you are completly wrong...
    Fly out to So. Cal. and look in my garage. There was no search done...Dealers order cars every month, mine was one of them, again within the Nissan package mandates, which for me we're easy, and not, in my opinion that special. I do respect your service advice and opinions.

Duke
  • bamadjbamadj Posts: 18
    OK, how many times does Joe (and others) have to tell us we can NOT order a car? He has several times and I believed him from the beginning. There are far more stories that show you can't order one then those that say you can order one. For those of you who think you actually ordered your car to the T and got what you wanted, consider yourself VERY LUCKY.

You can NOT order a car. The dealers make you think they can and that's that. You can NOT. I learned it myself the hard way and I think others on this post have also.

OK, off my soapbox now...

Oops, looks like Duke beat me to the post, so after reading his, I will respond. Yes, dealers order cars every month, but they're from an already determined selection of cars to be produced. So, that is still not TRUE ordering a car. In a sense it is, so don't get me wrong. Yes, you can order the car, but your order may or may not be filled - think of it as more of a REQUEST than an ORDER and I think we'll all better understand the process. Duke, consider yourself lucky on your results. :)

dj
  • LOL...I work for Nissan, and know a bit more than you may believe. You've been lied to pal. Nissan CANNOT special order ANY vehicle. I'm going to keep repeating myself to those who believe everything the dealer tells them....lol...it's getting a bit redundant to say the least.

Thanks Dj...LOL..you're right on the money.

Joe
  • You guys are right, I am lucky I guess, but I did in fact get exactly what I wanted. I have said enough on this subject [and you all have heard enough from me on it I'm sure]. I concede???!!! [How about it Al??] I'm moving on to other subjects, like we WILL in fact have a new President this week-end...won't we???

Duke
  • your car, why can't you order oddball options. answer-because you cannot order it. The 'Special Order For ______ ' was probably done by the dealer on a printshop software to make you feel special. Was it written in Japanese? :)) Who would you rather believe, a car dealer or someone who has no vested interest in your purchase and offers free advice and information to this board? The bottom line is that you got a great car exactly like you requested. Enough already, no mas!!
    Good luck-Gregg