Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Maxima

Comments

• It's highly unlikely that you don't also have a pedal pulsation...however slight. If you say the steering wheel is vibrating when you brake, and goes away when you let off the brake...take it back to the dealer, you need new front rotors.

be sure they REPLACE them...NOT turn them on the lathe, and ...make sure they're torqued properly, not put back on with the air wrench....you'll just be back in another 17k.

Joe
  • No, the 15 inch snow tires are already on the 15 inch rims - and on my '98 Intrepid. Was wondering only if I could put them on a 2001 Maxima GLE.

Bud
  • adg44adg44 Posts: 385
    Make sure they have the same amount of lug nuts, the same offset, and the same rolling diameter within 3% of the stock wheels.
  • umpopaumpopa Posts: 37
    Joenissan: Clearly you are the "go to guy" in this topic, and I appreciate and respect all that I have seen you write as informed and clear in communication. I read your response to Bamadj, who asked about this in response to my post (#850), and need further clarification: I have negotiated for an ordered-right-from-the-factory GLE. I am aware you have stated it isn;t possible to get a car ordered to your specs, only what comes off the line, but Dealers #1 & #2 both say they DO accept orders for the specs I want (as does the 1-800-Nissan1 phone number), and that it takes roughly 3 months for delivery.

Dealer #1 and the 800 number people say I can get the Meridian Edition without traction control or sunroof, but Dealer #2 says I must get the sunroof, if the Meridian package is ordered (I don't want sunroof or traction control). Dealers 1 and 2 differ in price by $100 (with #2 at invoice, and #1 $100 above, both plus regional advertising, warrantee fee, TT&L).

Do you think #2 trying to bait and switch, to get me to pay more upon delivery? Could they be right? (edmunds.com and other sites don't say the sunroof must be bought as well, only Dealer #2 says that!) It seems Dealer #1 sounds like a better one to deal with (even for $100 more)...if he is telling the truth! Help!!

Thanks for your reply!
    -umpopa
  • sgrd0qsgrd0q Posts: 398
    I couldn’t help but respond to the above post.

I too “ordered” a GLE with the Meridian package, but no other options (particularly no sunroof). I waited 3 months and was finally told the order was cancelled – they couldn’t get the car. I believe joenissan to be right – they look for a car with your specs and colors to come up within the 3 months – if nothing comes up they cancel the order. That is, your order never makes it to the factory. The question, in my mind, remains – how actively do they really look during the 3-month period.

What they did for me, however, was that they looked around a little more and found me a car with my specs, but with a CD changer, traction control and some other minor stuff. I was given the option of buying that car at its higher price, or get my deposit back. I was really unhappy with the situation, and almost got my deposit back right away. Now I am considering their offer, and also considering some other cars.

It does seem as if it is very difficult the get the GLE with the Meridian package but with no sunroof. They finally found one for me (after waiting since the end of July) but it also comes with a traction control, cd-changer, and some other minor stuff.

Hope this helps.
  • bamadjbamadj Posts: 18
    My guess, based on Joe several times telling me you can NOT order a car and now with sdrg0q's response, I think the dealers are full of crap! I think they pacify you telling you "Yes, we can order it..." and then they try to find it after promising it. It seems like umpopa is experiencing just that. If you really could order the car, then no dealer should be able to tell you what certain options the car has to or not have. And poor sdrg0q was promised a car, waited 3 months, and then bam! I think that sucks and I too was frustrated with my dealers. They also told me I could order the car, but I settled with the exact one I wanted, but having 2 options I didn't care to have.

So, from now on, do NOT believe your dealers when they say you can order one. They just want to tell you that to pacify you, but in all reality it's a lie. It makes sense now why dealers tell you certain things about the options and why they differ so much on that. I think it is awful that they waited 3 whole months to tell sdrg0q they couldn't find one. They would know within a matter of days, and if they cared, they would also have kept looking those whole 3 months and been honest about it.

Ugh! That's ridiculous. Now, on the other hand, I absolutely LOVE my car, but it sure is awful that you have to deal with people like several of us have to to get the car. I'm very happy with my decision, but I hate the frustration some of you are having to go through and lots of frustration I already did...

OK, I'm done venting now... ;-) Must be all these long hours I'm working as well...

bamadj
  • I plan to put Michelin Pilot Alpin snow tires on my '00 GLE. Does anyone know of a mail/net source of steel wheels? I have tried tirerack.com and they have only alloy wheels available. Thanks
  • lofquistlofquist Posts: 281
    Folks,
    A large number of people continue to contact me about buying a Maxima in Canada and bringing it home to the US. The posts I've made before have been lost a couple boards back so I will summarize again here. I bought in Canada a couple months ago and all worked smoothly.

So why to do this? Save some big money! The exchange rate just keeps getting better for the US. Here's some sample prices for Maximas in Canada (converted to US dollars, and including duty):
    1) Maxima GXE, auto trans, traction control, and convenience pkg. Convenience pkg contains everything in the Meridian and Com and Con pkgs. $20,800. (US dealer invoice is $22,740)
    2) Maxima SE 20th Anniv Ed. Auto trans. Includes traction control, Bose, Meridian pkg, and leather. Does not have the ground effects though. $23,500. (US dealer invoice is $28,006)
    3) Maxima GLE. Auto trans. Includes traction control, sunroof, Meridian pkg. $22,700. (US dealer invoice is $25,852)

Here's the answers to the most asked questions:
    - Yes, it's perfectly legal as a US resident to buy a new car in Canada.
    - Maxima meets all US safety and emissions requirements (California too).
    - You will have to pay some Canadian sales taxes, but they send you a refund after you take the vehicle out of the country.
    - The warranty is honored in the US.
    - It's identical to the US Max, but in Canada they come better equipped with options.
    - Speedo is in km and miles; odo is in km, but can be changed if you prefer.
    - I have found some dealers willing to sell over the phone at close to invoice, far below list price.
    - Get your financing at home first.

Quick summary of the process:
    1. Call dealer and make a deal. Get VIN number.
    2. Call Nissan and get US emissions and safety compliance letter (will fax if in a hurry).
    3. Go to Canada, pay, drive away.
    4. Stop at Canadian customs. Get form stamped.
    5. Stop at US Customs. Show compliance letter. Pay 2.5% duty.
    6. Register vehicle and pay your state's sales tax when home just like normal.
    7. Get Canadian sales tax refund check in the mail.

I bought in Canada in September and I know of ten more people who have done it or are in the process. It's not difficult at all. Sure, there's a little paperwork to do. Many people are surprised how close to Canada they really are. Anyone from Chicago to D.C. is easily within a one days drive of Toronto. And much of the West Coast is close to Vancouver.

I'm glad to help anyone out with questions or good contacts. Just email me.
    -Jon
    jonlofquist@aol.com
  • I don't think I would call it "Bait & Switch"...It may just be that the one dealer is being a bit more realistic as to what he can find for you. TCS and the sunroof are stand-alone options on the GLE but.....most are built with them anyhow. That's not to say the dealer can't find one.....He just wants to sell you a car, and not have to wait the 2 or 3 months it may take to find that exact car.

You have a few options ( you..not the car..lol), you can either wait and see what they can find or, insist that you don't want those 2 options in your car. If one comes in with either or both the TCS, and sunroof....you can say "I'll take it but...I'm not paying for the 2 options I wanted deleted from the car".

Keep in mind...TCS can be turned off. You have 40.5" of headroom WITHOUT the sunroof. That number changes by less than an inch WITH it. Unless you've tried one with the S/R, and need more headroom, I'd take one with it. If you need the headroom....they're out there w/o a sunroof...you'll just need to give them time to find one.

As for the ordering thing...lol...They can (and WILL) tell you what you want to hear but...Their hands are tied. They have to search from whats produced to find the car you want....they CANNOT direct order from the factory. Besides....Mr Ho Yen Chi doesn't speak english...LMAO...Good luck!

Joe
  • jkwcmwjkwcmw Posts: 11
    Joe: I recently had to replace one of my tires after getting a tear in the sidewall. I decided to have them rotated at that time since I was at about 7,500 miles. I asked them to torque the lugs as opposed to using the impact wrench. They ended up using a torque stick attached to the impact wrench. Is this OK? I really don't want to go out and buy a torque wrench, however it would be cheaper then having to change or resurface the rotors. Thanks in advance.
  • bamadjbamadj Posts: 18
    JoeNissan, you stated TCS can be turned off and indeed it can; however, it will have to be every time you start the car. The default is ON. Is there any way to keep it off without having to toggle the switch...

It's not going to kill me, but just curious... Thanks.
  • dhoffdhoff Posts: 282
    Your best route may be to try to find some "take-off" Maxima steel wheels from a Nissan dealer. They may get these from a GXE that someone wanted alloy wheels on. You might want to try a junkyard or "automotive recycling center" also.

You could try emailing dealers, and there is also a used Nissan parts place online also. Of course I've forgotten the name of it.

Good luck.

Dave
  • I thought I'd put this on here first since I
    always read this thread...I am seeling my pride and
    joy ..2000 maxima SE, metalic grey, just broken in
    with only 7500 miles, 5spd, incredible
    accelaration...Light grey sports cloth interior..I
    believe my baby stickered at around $25,000, don't
    remember..The CAr is absolutely Showroom
    condition!!!!!!! I have to sell it because my job
    is relocating me....I figured the first 20,000
    takes it...I'm in Northern NJ, so if any body from
    the area is considering buying a great new 2000
    maxima you might want to give this a look other wise it will be traded in for a work car...if
    anyone would like further info please email me at
    MISEL00@aol.com...Thank you!!!!!!
    PS..those are double zeros after my Email addy
  • teoteo Posts: 2,508
    Why can't you take the car with you?
  • By reading all of your stories, i think i was very luck. seems cars come this way: sunroof only or all of three options(srf, tcs, dlx) together. when i ordered my Gle with TSC only, the salesman told me it's easier to find the car with sunroof, but they end up given me a car with sunroof only w/o telling me or refund. but i was very luck to get meridain PKG and spoiler +some minor options for free after i find out i was over paid. they told me it's impossible to find a car with (srf & tcs)
    or tcs only. they said most cars come with srf, tcs and Dlx, or srf only. i think both of salesman will try to sale you more options later!! just make sure put everything on paper when you give deposit. by the way, umpopa. why don't you try another dealership if you think there is a "game" behind the joyful experience shopping and test driving. maybe, you could get better deal, then you don't have to go through long painful and exciting three months and end up with big disspointment of result: they cancel your order! i am sorry, sgrd0q.

hey joe thank for the info of X-trail, here is a link for who is interesting of Nissan X-trail
    http://www.cardesignnews.com/events/paris2000/features/nissan-xtrail/

willy
  • teoteo Posts: 2,508
    That Nissan X-Trail looks sweet!. It makes the new '01 Rav4 look lame by comparison. The CRV? Forget it! a 19th century trike!

Hope Nissan brings it here.
  • In my opinion, I think what you see there ae the "X Trail", will be the upcoming restyled "X Terra" here in the states. I could be wrong but...why else would Nissan have 2 mini-utes ? And it looks very close in size and shape to the X Terra...have to wait and see.

Joe
  • As long as they used some sort of torque limiter, they'll be just fine. Some dealers, as ours does, use a special torqued head on the impact wrench....does the same thing as a torque wrench.

As for the TCS, if you wanted to...you COULD simply yank the fuse for the TCS system., although then you can't use it at all until the fuse id replaced. I would just leave it alone anyhow....it does nothing unless it's needed to begin with. The auto Maxima isn't going to leave any black lines at the grren light like the 5 spd anyhow..lol.

Hope I've helped.

Joe
  • I ordered my new 01 SE Max on July 3rd and it arrived at the dealer in So. Cal. on Oct 6TH, exactly as I ordered it, A Sterling Mist SE Auto., Bose, SE C&C Pack, Meridian Pack, SE Leather, and Mats. Thats it, no Tcs ,no wind deflector, and no CD changer...You can order a car from Nissan as long as you get the correct option packages specified.
    No sweat, I got exactly what I wanted, it does take about three months to get it.

Duke