Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Maxima

Comments

• habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    ..about torque being as important as horsepower in 0-60. But even those numbers appear inflated by some manufacturers.

As for your BMW comparison, I was seriously considering an M3 3 years ago and again in November, before I got my S2000. I was able to test drive both the 1999 (240 hp / 236 lb ft) model and the 2001 (333/269) model. For me, the difference in power felt significant, albeit most noticable at speeds of 50-70+. I had thought the 1999 model was rated at 5.5 from 0-60 (by BMW), compared to 4.8 for the 2001 model. In any event, I do know the difference between a 190hp 1995 Maxima 5-speed and a 255hp 2002 6-speed is marginal at best.

I am a big fan of Nissan. Every time I drive my S2000, I acknowledge that it wouldn't be possible if my 1995 Maxima had died at 120k miles like a lot of less solidly built cars do. However, I give credit to BMW for significantly improving the performance of the cars accross almost all lines from 1995 to 2002. Look at the difference between a 1995 325i (189 hp) and a 2002 330i (225 hp) and you will find vastly improved performance. Nissan has been a little too pre-occupied with "marketing" a higher performance Maxima without delivering it to the same degree as BMW, IMHO. Not that the Honda Accord or Toyota Camry are any better.
  • canadianclcanadiancl Posts: 1,078
    unless they start publishing the hp measured at the wheels.
  • I just have about 300 miles on my new GLE and I LOVE it!! I want to use synthetic oil in it, everyone please give me advice on the best oil to use; Mobil 1, Pennzoil, Castrol SynTec, etc. Also what brand of filter. I have always used Fram in the past on other cars.
  • I recommend Mobil 1 5W30
  • Almost any synthetic is better than Dinosaur juice. But I like Royal Purple. Not as famous as the others but give a gander at their web site testimonials. Also Warren Johnson uses it in his Pro Stock car (as of 2001 at least) don't know about this year. Ck it out and make your decision.
  • I have my new Max Since December. My old vehicle was a mini-van. You can imagine they ride very differantly. I have noticed that if I am at a stop sign, or coming out of a parking lot, and I push the gas pedal with much the same pressure I am used to from my minivan, that I hear a loud screaching noise, followed by lots of smoke and the smell of burning rubber. does anyone else have this problem. Man I love my new Maxima. Get outta my way!!!
  • kd6aw1kd6aw1 Posts: 116
    Have 45,000 miles on my Toyo tires and it is time for new tires. What would be best? Looking for quiet long lasting tires, weather here in San Diego is dry with no freezing. Have had good luck with Michelin tires in the past on other cars. Any advice would be appreciated.

Paul
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 13,589
    Tirerack.com is a good place to compare brands. I started looking recently (also have a '99 SE), and am leaning toward the yokohama Avids for all around performance. I live in NJ so reasonable winter capabilities are important, but no real snow use.

supposed to be a very good blend of performance and quiet comfort, at a very attractive price.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

• I do not like the Avids. I had a set of them on my Audi before I bought my 2002 SE. I was not sure if it was just my luck or what but I had 3 out of 4 tires that went out of round after only 9,000 miles. At first I thought my wheels were bent but they all checked out fine. Three of them were replaced and just before I traded in my car for the new SE another one went out round again. They also have a tendancy to flat spot after sitting in the garage for a few days. I had the H-rated Avids but I am not sure if the V-rated ones will have the same problem. I don't like the ride on them either. I think the Potenza RE92s on my new SE ride and handle much better than the Avids.
  • pwitzpwitz Posts: 51
    I have spare wheels from my 2k2 GLE...email me at pwitzleb@rochester.rr.com if you want to talk more....
  • tr3tr3 Posts: 8
    Has anyone purchased a GLE in the Greensboro area? I got a price for a loaded model with all the options excluding the Nav system for $27,400 +TTL. The list on the car is $30,241. Has anyone got a better price than that? Thanks
  • I purchased a Sterling Mist W/Black Leather 2002 Maxima GLE loaded with every option except navigation(List - $30,241)in the Washington, DC area for $25,989 +TTL. (It did include the $1000 rebate)-- It was no hassle and I did it over the phone!! One thing I did run into was a lack of GLE's with the color combination and options that I wanted. Good Luck!
  • Paul go to Discount Tire and get the Continental Touring tires 215/55/16's I put these on my 97SE and they are better than the stock RSA's it came with. They are reasonable priced as well
  • I feel anthonyc makes a good point about the fact that the Nissan people seem to be pre-occupied with marketing their cars like they're world beaters, I test drove the 2002 Max, and I feel its
    a slightly more bullet proof car than the Camry or Accord with a few more horses, but then I test drove the WRX wagon and man what a ride, I can't afford a Beemer M3 or the S2000, but I'd say for the money you can't beat the WRX as far as performance goes, my question is the Maxima with its options and standard features worth the money,
    now that Nissan is trying to get them out of their lots, before the revised 2003's arrive and
    because the overrated Altimas are selling well?
  • The Max is very much worth the money the best bang for your buck (TLS as well) and compare the Altima to the Camry and Accord not the Max. By the way the Max isnt changing for 2003, the new one wil appear in Winter 2003 as a 2004 model according to the March issue of Motor Trend.
  • The WRX will out manuever, and out run the Max. If A rocket and or rally car is what you are looking for go for the wrx. I wanted power, speed and COMFORT. I feel I have them all. One will never get the best of everything. The fastest, the most comfort, roominess, handling, etc.... I do feel FOR ME the Max was best choice. It is beutiful inside and out. A pleasure to go out to a nice dinner in it , but just as pleasurable to put the peddle to the floor on a nice wide open winding road. I went nus checking cars (wrx was o my list). BUT I AM EXTREMELY HAPPY I WENT WITH MY MAXIMA GLE. The car looks GReat in sterling mist with black leather interior, sun roof, nice 17' wheels. I have it since early december and LOVE it. Maybe if I was a single guy with no kids I might have given more consideration to the WRX, that and the Acura rsx were sweet.
  • Can you hear your engine or exhaust during acceleration between 1200-2000 rpm with your radio off?
  • rwclifton,

If I calculated correctly, without including the $1000 rebate you still paid ~$500 less than invoice for your 2002 GLE. I'm seriously considering the same purchase and I am curious how many others have been able to get a GLE for below invoice?
  • Can you hear your engine or exhaust during acceleration between 1200-2000 rpm with your radio off?
  • I have a 98 Max SE with 60K on the clock. Nice car but I'm having a major starting problem. When the engine is cold, it will start but won't run. You must stay on the pedal until the car is warm enough to run on it's own. The car has been tuned up and all filters replaced. My mechanic as well as the dealership is baffled. No problem codes are coming up. I have had a similar problem since I purchased vehicle new. The car just would not start. It sounded like it was flooded. The dealer never found that problem either. Any advice?? My car has been in the shop for a week.