Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Maxima

Comments

• I will add one additional factor to p100s' statement.
    Not only do all the gadgets add additional points of possible failure, they contribute to the earlier demise of a vehicle due to increased stress on components necesarry to run those gadgets (like alternators). This doesn't mean one should not buy a car with all of the gadgets you want, but it is worth thinking about when considering the true cost, both in initial investment and long term reliability.
  • jbadamsjbadams Posts: 63
    The only point of my previous post was to point out that if you use Edmund's to try to calculate a price by selecting options, it will be wrong because Edmund's allows you to select every possible option, even when selecting one should cancel out the other.

I don't need the economics lesson thanks.
  • p100p100 Posts: 1,116
    I did not intend to give one to anybody, but I learned it myself the hard way.
  • bowke28bowke28 Posts: 2,185
    im sad that you wont be around under your current name after september...

;-)
  • anu0anu0 Posts: 13
    I'm looking at getting a used (2003) Maxima and notice some come with Meridien package. What's included in the Meridien package?
  • suydamsuydam Posts: 931
    That's the cold weather package, according to the site at cars.com which gives all the option packages:http://research.cars.com/go/crp/optionsAndExtras.jsp?des- tURL=optionsAndExtras.jsp&year=2003&makeid=36&modelid- =333&myid=3814&superTrim=&acode=USB30NIC051B0&log- type=7&aff=national

Meridian Edition
    GEN code: DLX

Heated Front Seats

Heated Outside Mirrors

Heated Steering Wheel
  • Quite true.
    Either I will be sox_champs_in_04, or being the eternal optimist (as all true sox fans must be), I'll be sox_in_05 ;-)

Either way, at least my Patriots are SB champs!!
    unfortunately, im a detroit fan...yes, lions AND tigers! ;-)

i think I am the ultimate fan...talk about abuse!

anyway, maybe pudge will buy a maxima this summer with his $40mill. contract with detroit.

(wow! i didnt think id be able to come up with anything to stay on topic!)
  • The guy must be an optimist for saying that the Tigers aren't a bad team, they just had a bad season. Either that or he's trying to save face for having to sign with them. Ouch - huge ego blow!

If he gets a Maxima, it better be an SL - he'll need the softer suspension for those fine Detroit streets and highways.
    but he might want the SE for the >90 degree turns on the confusing 1-way streets. ;-)
  • First of all, as a fellow Sox fan, I hope Sox_in_04 is changing to champs! Just a few weeks till Spring Training, and with the Pats winning we've had one heck of an offseason (Schilling, Foulke, Burks...)

Anyway, the reason I'm on this board right now is because this morning I picked up one of those Enterprise Maxima's. My 2002 Oldsmobile Intrigue GL w/PCS was hit while parked by a Honda C-RV and will be in the shop till Tuesday night/Wed. morning. I showed up at Enterprise this morning (the other person's insurance is paying) expecting to get a Taurus/Impala/Intrepid, but I was told it was my 'lucky day' because they were all out of fullsize cars and would be upgrading me to premium.

The Maxima I have is a silver SE with 16k. Pretty sweet for a rental. Not nec. the easiest car to transition to, however--took me just about my whole commute this morning to figure everything out. Did notice some torque steer right away, but the throttle response and brakes are great. Steering feel and handling is similar to my Intrigue. So, I plan on driving quite a bit this weekend so we'll see what I think/how it compares to the Intrigue...
  • ccermakccermak Posts: 260
    I'd be very interested to hear what you think of the Max vs the Intrigue. I was considering the Intrigue before I bought my Max because my neighbor had just bought a new one and I thought it looked sharp. Then I did a ton of research and the Max was better rated in reliability, power, resale, etc so I went with the Max. This was in 99 so I bought a new 2000 SE loaded and now I'm hearing a lot (and experiencing a couple minor ones myself) about problems with the 2000 Maxi's. Issues like brakes, paint, squeaks, coils, O2 sensors, cold starting, tranny's, and on and on....

Just wondering how good the Intrigue has been and what you like or don't like about both cars. Thanks.
  • That's the same way I discovered the Maxima:

Gee Mr. Lichtronamo, would you like a Malibu, Grand Am, Stratus? Or, for $5/day we can upgrade you to a Maxima?

End of story. New Maxima appearing in my driveway in approximately 7.5 months.
  • After one night of driving the looks are really growing on me--still not sold on the back-end but man does it look unique in the parking lot.

Really love the manu-matic. I had never driven a car with this feature but wanted to, its a lot of fun--sort of like having all the benefits of a stick (well, most) but with the computer there to bail you out if you lose interest.

Love the off the line acceleration, fast as he--. Throttle and brakes are pretty touchy though, takes some getting used to.

Couple of things right of the bat that aren't so positive--this car just feels very very big. Its no bigger than my Intrigue but the turning circle is noticeably wider and its tougher to maneuver in tight spaces. Tonight one particulary u-turn I make all the time in my Intrigue I couldn't make in the Maxima--just turns too wide. Not sold on the controls either, but I should withold judgement since I have some more time to get used to them. Stereo sound though is not as good as the Bose 8 speaker unit on my Intrigue, and I miss the RDS Radio unit in better GM cars like the Intrigue that tells you song/artist/station.

I'm looking forward to the rest of the weekend. What a nice surprise for a rental--a car I wanted to drive anyway (not that I'm in the market) that is clearly tons of fun.

Just a little background on the Intrigue I normally drive that is being repaired--its a 2002 Red GL with 14800 miles. Optioned with the Precision Control System (a stability control system), Sun and Sound package (sunroof and 8 speaker 250 watt Bose sound system) and spoiler. Standard on the GL are Traction Control (the Maxima I have doesn't seem to have traction control), a great 4 channel ABS system, dual climate control, and the rest of the goodies you'd expect. MSRP on the Intrigue was $27850, thanks to GM shutting down Oldsmobile (don't get my started) and the usual GM discounts my out the door price was $19600, meaning I was really shopping it against 4 cyl Camry's, Accords, etc. Intrigue also came with a 5 year/60k warranty.

So far, the Intrigue has been in service for 16 months, nothing has gone wrong, no warranty work done. Trips to the shop have been for a tire that kept on losing air (Goodyear Eagle RSA, same as the Maxima I believe, but a 225 not 245 of course!), and this body work. In this case, I was parked in an ally and was quite simply backed into by a lady in a Honda CR-V. $1061 worth of damage, just a decent sized dent left side behind the fuel door.

Anyway, that's my deal, I'll have the Maxima until at least Tuesday night so I should be able to have a good comparo by then.
  • Should the windshield rubber liner be flush on my Maxima on the top left corner. I have had two leaks and the dealer first said they resealed the windshield, the liner was still not flush about an inch gap. Next time I brought in same leak they said they cleaned out the sunroof drain holes could not find the leak. To me it is obvious the the liner should be flush I can see the corner of my windshield on the top, it like the ran out of liner on the last inch. I have also had to go back for a check engine light three times. It seems like they are ignoring the problems since everything is still under warranty. Now I am at 35k miles though. I am wrong on the liner.
  • How is the 2004 Maxima selling? Is it meeting Nissan's expectations? Is there a link where I can get vehicle sales information? Thanks.
    interior on the 2005 altima. i like the family grille on it too.
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    family grille?
  • Thanks for the information on the link!
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    What's the family all about? Or do you mean that they all have them? If so, thank goodness for aftermarket.
  • The "family" part means that they all have a variation of a similar design. If you look at the Maxima and Sentra, their grilles have the center "bar" type thing, while the Altima has the same grille design, but doesn't have the center bar. I think the Altima grille is the best looking of all the new Nissan grilles.
  • much nicer than the current maxima grill!!
  • I need to get a new used car and I am heavily leaning towards a 4th gen maxima. Preferablly a black 1997 Maxima SE with an automatic tranny. But I am having difficulty locating many vehicles like this within a few hundered miles of Columbus, OH.

I was wondering what percentage of the 4th gens came in SE trim? Are they that much harder to find then a GXE?

What else can i do to try to find one? I have used sites like edmunds and autotrader to do searches and have found a few cars within 200 miles, but some have well over 100,000 miles on them(I would prefer less), others are manuals some are just plain ugly(champagne or white are not colors I will drive around in). I have attemtped to search local dealers sites to not much success. Is there anything else I can do to help myself find a car and become one of the few, the proud, the nissan fanboi's, LOL.

ANy help you can give me is appreciated.

One other thing if someone could list the specific differances between the GXE and SE models, that would be great. As near as I can tell these are it.
    Alloys, white face guages, rear spoiler, leather wrapped steering wheel, sport suspension and fog lights, did I miss anything?

I really wnat a nice looking car so the white face guages, the fog lights, the alloys and the spoiler are all pretty important to me.

Thanks
  • ericuericu Posts: 16
    I'm jealous of the new grille! I wonder how much it would cost to have my 04 max's "bar" type center grille replaced with the new design. It looks so much better. They should replace it for free.
  • The new grille is for the Altima, it won't fit your Maxima. Try an aftermarket supplier if you need to replace the "tooth".
  • suydamsuydam Posts: 931
    I'm really surprised you can't find a '97-99 Max in Columbus, Ohio. I live near there and have been perusing the ads for my son recently and have seen quite a few. Especially look at the Germain dealerships -- Lexus, Nissan, and Toyota -- and Nissan North, as well as Coughlin Toyota and Nissan in Newark. I also see them frequently advertised by private sale in the Dispatch ads. It wouldn't be that surprising for a '97 to have 100,000 miles. That's a 7-year old car. Maybe you should look more for a '99 (don't know your budget). Sometimes you have to be a little patient to get the used car you want, especially if you're even picky about color.
  • p100p100 Posts: 1,116
    I happen to own a champagne color 98 SE and I do not think it is ugly at all. One option you may want to look for on a 97-99 SE is the convenience package, which adds the remote keyless entry, burglar alarm, driver's power seat, and homelink transmitter for garage door opener. I would also recommend getting one with the Bose stereo, as it is an outstanding factory unit, with both casette player and CD player.

You can get GXE model for a lot less than SE model, especially if you buy a five speed manual. However, SE is a much nicer car. BTW, a 5 speed manual SE also comes standard with leather wrapped shifter and boot. One thing you should watch out for on an older Maxima are the gas hood struts, which will go weak with age. The replacements from Nissan are outrageously priced, but you can get good working aftermarket units from Auto Zone for about $ 40 a pair. Also, ignition coils tend to go bad in these cars after about 100K miles. I would also consider the car condition to be the most important, not just the mileage. A low mileage car which has been neglected is not necessarily the best buy. A well maintained Maxima with 100K miles is good for at least another 100K. And chances are that a well maintained 100K mile car will have new coils and some other components (such as axles and CV joints) already replaced.
  • For those of you with 2002 and 2003 Maximas, you may want to check the Nissanusa.com website regarding a recall on the Engine Sensor. I just checked my VIN against the applicable VIN's and my car fell under the Recall cars. I just called my dealership to make an appointment. If I hadn't checked the website, I wouldn't have known since I still haven't received anything in the mail. Just a heads up to those of you that don't know yet!!