Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Maxima

Comments

• Well crap, I just got denied by capital, letter to folow in the mail with the reasons. I can't say I didn't expect this though. I figured I would give it a try but in order to meet the income requirments I had to file a joint application with my fiance, and she has a short credit history. While not bad its just not long enough. My credit is decent with a FICO of 700, but not enough in this situiation. Oh well I will try again when the bills I just paid off get off my credit report, that shoudl give me a boost. Or I could just get a family member to cosign. Or maybe try eloan or check out my bank, although by the sounds of it, fromw hat others have said here, the bank may not be able to help me with a 7 year old car. Well it looks like the wait is on now.
  • bowke28bowke28 Posts: 2,185
    but my total debt was only $1200. no way someone was going to lend me $15k or $20k. no matter what my score was.
  • I'm not looking for that much. I would be overjoyed to get 9,000.00, 8,000.00 would be perfect, if I can't get at least 5-6 grand, then I'm screwed. I guess I could always check out dealer financing. But I have a feeling if I get a more reputable cosigner, then I will be fine.
    most banks wont finance a $5k-$6k vehicle. usually they are too old. dealer financing is no different.

however...

if you are in a rural area, some banks will go on personal recognaisance. some credit unions also wont look at the car...just your record with them.
  • pernaperna Posts: 533
    My dealer uses Valvoline oil and filters.
  • Yeah the 5-6 was the absolute least I could use. I am looking to get mor elike 8,000.00. I'm pretty sure with a cosigner, either capital one or eloan or one of those guys will approve me.
  • mrtrace1mrtrace1 Posts: 14
    Warning!!! This post is long.

(Thought I'd post on this side since I got no responses from the problems and solutions side)

Good afternoon everyone. A few months ago I posted on this board as mrtrace (I am now using mrtrace1 as I've seem to misplaced my log-in password) regarding a purchase of a 2002 maxima gle that my mother made. There were a few mechanical problems at the beginning of the purchase but there haven't been any since and the only problem since then is that the rear bumper paint has began to peel. When my mother purchased this vehicle it was back in December and in the northeast there was plenty of snow so we could not really inspect the vehicle and she decided since she knew the dealer personally to not even worry about inspecting the vehicle for body damage. At that time there were a choice of 3 other maxima gles' from other dealers that she was considering but decided to go with this one because of the black-on-black color and because she felt as if the dealer would not deceive her because of their personal experience and her constant referrals to them (she has sent about 10 customers who have purchased vehicles from them and she's also an employee of the credit union that is the lender on all those purchases). In the past I've also looked at a maxima but decided I would not purchase it because the back bumper looked like it had been replaced, which was a sign of significant damage to that vehicle, and it was always a thought that has stuck in the back of my mind including with my mother's purchase. Well getting to the main story now, I finally looked over her car once she bought it and I discovered that the left rear corner panel was misaligned with the bumper and the tailights (there are gaps where the corner panel meets the left tail-lamp and the corner panel and bumper are not flush with each other by more than 1/4 inch on both left and right sides) and might have been in accident but didn't say anything because that's the last thing you want to tell someone once they've bought a major purchase, especially your own mother. Well about a month after I discovered my finding about this body damage the paint on the rear bumper began to chip and at this point the bumper paint has all kind of nicks and cracks up and down it. She has informed the dealer about it but has not had the chance to take it to them and knowing my mother she doesn't want to stir up trouble simply because of the fact that she knows them (and yes I've been trying to explain to her that they weren't her associates when they sold her a wrecked car). Getting even more to the point, one day my mother and I went to a carwash and upon us inspecting the vehicle after the wash I said to her "mom, I think this bumper has been replaced and I noticed it when u first purchased this vehicle but didn't want to tell you but feel as if I should now because this really affects your resale value, and your drive and who wants to pay almost $20,000 for a wrecked car." She dropped me back home but proceeded to go to a body shop and asked if the bumper had been replaced and they told her yes and that there had been a shoddy paint job done on it at that. So its been a little over 2 months since she has had the car and there's been about 8,000 miles put on it (yes, alot). I am asking you guys what does it sound like she should do. I have told her to contact an attorney and lodge a complaint with the New York State Attorney General's office. However, I am interested in hearing what you guys have to say so she is not wasting her time by doing any of the above. I think her main concern is she just wants another maxima that hasn't been wrecked (even though I am trying to convince her to get a refund and get that caddy that fits more in with her over 50-year age range). By the way, when she purchased the vehicle she wasn't told it had body damage to it. She wants to trade it in next year for a used '04 and I've told her she wont get anything for a trade for a vehicle thats been wrecked. Please give your suggestions.

P.S. Tomorrow or on Monday I will be taking the vehicle to a body-shop and have them inspect the undercarriage of the car for welding and replacements parts and will let you all know the outcome.

Thank you.
  • kyleknickskyleknicks Posts: 433
    i would say take it back to the dealer who the car was bought from and ask them what can be done... that's the first approach i would take..espcecially if it's someone she knows
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    8k miles as it lends to the depreciation of the vehicle making an equitable deal harder to reach.

Also, a replaced bumper doesn't make for a wrecked car. If the trunk, quarter panels, and the frame straightened I'd be more likely to agree.

Buying used is never easy and that's why it's recommeded that the car be taken to a reputable shop to give the once over.

If it were my mother, I'd have told her as soon as I discovered it. What she did with that info would be up to her.
  • mikef208mikef208 Posts: 69
    Well I just got off the phone with Eloan, and they approved me for a 48 month loan up to 18,000.00 dollars but at a slightly higher rate then I was hoping, 5.75. Although the differance between that and the 4.49 that i was hoping to get is only 4 bucks a month on the amount I am looking to spend, so not too big a deal I guess.
    Oh yeah, I have one other question. I didn't seem to notice anywhere on either capital one or eloans sites for having a cosigner. I obviously didn't need one, but it may have helped get a lower rate. Maybe I missed it and maybe they don't allow that, but my question is can I then refiance my loan in a little while with a cosigner to see if it would be possible to get a better rate?

Also the only way I could qualify for the loan was by filing a joint application with my fiance, since I by myself don't make enough, since I work part time and watch our son the rest of the day. I know this will mean that we both will be titled on the car, what exactly are the effects of that and if I did refiance I could then get it just in my name, correct?
    Did the 97 maximas has a side air bag as an option? The car I am looking at has driver and passangers air bags, as well as another listing for side air bag.
  • aggiedogaggiedog Posts: 238
    I'm not sure how much of that 18k you're looking to use but you certainly would be able to find a used 02 in that price range and you get the newer engine.
    I'm looking to spend about 8,000.00 max over the 48 months. I can't afford to spend any where near the full 18,000.00.

I just got off the phone with the dealership who has the car I am considering and he said the 7990.00 is the selling price. He said they set a price and sell the car for that price. SO while this may be a tactic I would imagine they would not be inclined to budge much on price. And really compared to edmunds TMV the price is stilla good deal on a fully loaded 97 Max SE with 66,000 miles on it. I think I may go in with an offer of 7500.00 and if I can get it for 7750 I would be happy, but I am willing to pay askin price as long as they don't try and screw me into getting other stuff I don't want or trying to inflate the price.

Also if anyone could help me dechiper the carfax on this car that would be great. I think i got it, but I just want to be sure. I know it was in a minor accident, but nothing else seems out of line. It just seems like the car was barely used over the past couple years. Heres the carfax.

04/08/1997 NICB
     Vehicle manufactured and shipped to original
    dealer

05/27/1997 New York
    Motor Vehicle Dept.
    Staten Island, NY
     Registered as
    personal vehicle

07/09/1997 9 New York
    Motor Vehicle Dept.
    Dallas, TX
     Title issued
    First owner reported

05/01/1998 9,704 New York
    Inspection Station
    New York City Area
     Passed safety inspection

05/28/1999 22,237 Auto Auction
    Eastern Region
     Vehicle sold

07/14/1999 22,289 Pennsylvania
    Motor Vehicle Dept.
    Greensburg, PA
    Title #53493399 01 WE
     Title or registration issued
    New owner reported

09/24/1999 22,321 Pennsylvania
    Motor Vehicle Dept.
    Greensburg, PA
    Title #53493399 02 AD
     Title or registration issued
    Loan or lien reported

04/30/2001 55,685 Ohio
    Motor Vehicle Dept.
    Mentor, OH
    Title #4300905098
     Title issued

05/03/2001 55,693 Ohio
    Motor Vehicle Dept.
    Cleveland, OH
    Title #1804356195
     Title issued
    Loan or lien reported

05/04/2001 Ohio
    Inspection Station
     Passed emissions inspection

11/22/2002 60,000 Ohio
    Inspection Station
     Passed emissions inspection

05/27/2003 Ohio
    Police Report
    Case #20038194266
     Accident Reported
    in Cuyahoga County
    Vehicle involved in crash
    with another motor vehicle
    Very minor or minor damage reported

01/21/2004 66,034 Ohio
    Motor Vehicle Dept.
    Irving, TX
    Title #7702924789
     Title issued
    New owner reported
    Registered as lease vehicle

02/12/2004 Auto Auction
     Sold at auction
    in Ohio
    Listed as
    a fleet vehicle

03/02/2004 CARFAX AdvisorTM Be sure to buy this vehicle from a licensed dealer.

A curbstoner is a person who purchases vehicles at volumes that require a dealer license and then poses as a private seller to sell to unsuspecting buyers for a large profit. Curbstoning is illegal in most States.
    Okay I just got off the phone with the dealer and he said for a 200.00 deposit they would hold the car till i can get out there on Saturday. SO is it safe to give them my credit card info?
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Nice little car, it was a fun drive home, except that right after I bought the car I went to get gas and after that the service engine soon light came on. But the car ran fine and the manual said this could be either an emmisions control system or not installing the fuel cap correctly. I checked the fuel cap and it was fine. When I got the car home we decided to check the ECU for a code. Well I am not sure if the problem fixed itself or what, but it would not blink out a code. So I gave up and started the car to take it for another spin, yet to my disbelief the service engine soon light was no longer on.

I don't think I reset it, but I suppose it possiblly could have been. So my question is this:

1. Would a problem like this just go away.
    2. If I did somehow reset the light while I was trying to chekc the code would it then come back on sooner or later if I didn't actually fix the problem, or once you reset it will it not come back on even if the part or whatever is still malfunctioning?

I know I could have posted this in problems and solutions, and I have been reading about it a little over there, but technically i no longer have a problem, just a question, and you have all been very helpful, thank you.

Oh yeah i almost forgot, if it was possiblly becuase of the gas cap not being properly installed, would installing it properly cause the light to go off, or would it need to be reset?
    Hmm, I just read that after a number(not sure of the actual number)of starts or insertions of the key into the ignition that the SES light will go off if the problem no longer exsists. If that is the case then it may be possible I did reset it as I was unaware you could reset it like that.

I was attempting to reset the code for the keyless entry keyfob they gave me(not the original one for the car). For those that don't know, the way you do this, well one step anyway is to insert and remove the key 6 times. As I was not getting the keyfob to work I did this 5-6 times, so hopefully I just reset it and it stays off, unless there actually is a problem, then I would prefer it come back on so i can get it checked.
  • dklaneckydklanecky Posts: 559
    What year and model Maxima did you buy?

Just an FYI, Nissan's will always throw a code if you gas them up with the engine running (not that you did, but it seems like more people do this in the winter and you said it happened right after you filled it up).
    Its a 1997 SE with 66,xxx miles on it. Yeah I had read about the fueling while engine is running code, but I had the engine off. I know some people are stupid, but I like to think I'm not one of them.

I just was a little worried when it went out. That sounds stupid worrying when your SES light goes out, but I figured if somethign was wrong that I would wnat to get it fixed and as far as I know they can't pull a code if the light is not on. I mean if it stays off thats great I guess as long as nothing really is wrong. But if it comes back on its going to the dealership to get checked.

Now when you say it will light up when fueling with the engine running, if you did that, would the light then go out very soon, or would it stay on till either it is reset on the ECU or by just inserting the key a number of times?

Basically thats what I am trying to figure out, I think when I was trying to reporgram the code for the keyless entry, I probablly caused the light to reset, and I just want to make sure that if the problem is still there that the light will come back on.

That brings me back to eh keyless entry problem I am having, but I think i will take that to problems and solutions.
  • kennyg5kennyg5 Posts: 360
    I also have a 4th gen Max and did receive, a long time ago, from Nissan a "campaign" (not a recall) notice stating problems with the SES light. Since I never had a problem with the light, I ignored it, reasoning that why fix if it was not broken.

The same thing with my 5th gen Max. I did nothing although I recently received a notice from Nissan about the SES light.

I wonder why Nissan can't seem to fix this long-term (though non-existent for me -- knock on wood) problem.

Mike, is your Max a certified pre-owned? If yes (which I doubt because it is over 6 years old), Nissan or the dealer should fix it for free. Anyway, check your limited warranty or your rights under state law if the warranty is silent.
    It is not certified, but I did get a 4 year 48,000 miles warranty when i bought it. What exactly are you saying you think is wrong? It sounds like your saying they just seem to ahve a problem with the light coming on for no reason, is that it? How do they fix it? The warranty i got covers pretty much everything, but not sure what exactly that is.
  • kennyg5kennyg5 Posts: 360
    I think they replace the defective sensor with a new one and that should take care of the problem. I am not 100% sure because I never have the problem. You definitely should take your car back to the dealer if this problem resurfaces. They should fix it free because it should be one of the most basic items covered by the warranty, even if it is only a limited warranty.
    Yeah i think i will find a good mechanic to take it too, since I also need to get it alligned and the oil changed.

Speaking of which, I'm sure this has been asked many times before, but should I keep using standard oil or should I go with synthetic?
  • dklaneckydklanecky Posts: 559
    Here's a link to a site that has more TSB's listed for Maxima's than any other I've ever seen.

http://maxima.theowensfamily.com/tsb/index.asp?year=1997&tsb=- none
  • rampedramped Posts: 358
    the dino vs. synthetic oil war has raged forever on boards here.

For my 2 cents, I say stick with what is already in the car. As long as you change the oil every 5,000 miles or so, the VQ engine runs fine on dino and lasts longer than you will probably want to keep the car.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Some of you have been interested in - and affected by - the Maxima headlights' attraction to thieves. You might be interested in reading this article:

New Jersey authorities sued Nissan North America Inc. on Monday, alleging the automaker failed to warn customers that the super-bright headlights on its Maximas were hot targets for thieves.

http://wcbs880.com/topstories/wcbskyw_story_068140906.html
  • lichtronimolichtronimo Posts: 212
    now have to sell Camry and Accords with disclaimers that these are the most stolen vehicles? How absurd.
    idiotic.

i guess the U.S. mint should put a disclaimer on cash....
    Anybody ever removed the drivers side door panel on thier maxima. There is something metallic rattling in mine and I want it to stop before i go insane with rage. Well maybe not that bad, but its somewhat annoying.