Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Maxima

Comments

• 10010011001001 Posts: 1
    I hope this is the right place to ask. I'm looking at buying my first Maxima and I have 2 questions:

1) How does the leather interior hold up on the Maximas? (I've never owned leather)

2) Is it possible to get a new 2002 GLE for under 25K? (I'm trying to stay around 23K) If I can't, I may have to wait and buy a low-mileage used GLE.

Thanks to anyone who can help!
  • You are right. I remember seeing C&D say that as well. Something called "Grade Control Logic" on my 99 CL was not one of my favorite things. Maybe that is why it was always shifting up and down. Not my cup of tea as it was a jerky shifter in the first place. I think they were going for a sport feel. They went a little too far, IMO.

My Maxima shifts like "butta"!
  • blh7068blh7068 Posts: 376
    Maybe you can...depending where you live. In my area not likely. If this helps I got a good deal an 02 SE, auto. Stickered for for 29755, paid 26500. Keep your eyes open...and if you find one you won't be disappointed. As for the leather, I have not heard anything bad about the materials used. Good luck.
  • bodydoublebodydouble Posts: 801
    C & D weren't thrilled with the V6/auto..... but I think obi got my drift.

BTW, there is another person on TH called obiwankenobi. Did you "borrow" his handle by adding the "1"? :)
  • bartalk2bartalk2 Posts: 326
    You're not into leather? I have a '97 Max SE with leather. Holding up ok, but there's a long crack on the driver's seat that I'm afraid may some day split open. I'm not overweight. It might be a fluke. Leather generally classes up the interior. I have friends who drive leather and think cloth seats in a car looks cheap.
    At least give these guys at Car & Driver credit for not being afraid to insult their advertisers. Most consumer hobby magazines are puppets of the advertisers and you have to read between the lines to get the writer's' actual opinions or to get even a hint of criticism. The macho writers for C & D tell it like it is, and I think enjoy bringing the big boys down. I would give them two cheers for their criticism of the Max, although, except for the rear suspension, it's still a great car and, at the prices they go for, an even greater bargain.
  • verde2verde2 Posts: 1
    hey all-
    I got this deal by a dealer. not sure how good it is. ANY HELP/OPINION/ADVICE WOULD BE GREAT.

*fully loaded 2003 SE,
    with:
    leather package
    meridian package
    titanium package + sunroof
    traction control package
    last but not least, splash guards
    (has everything BUT navigation)

black car with black leather or
    blue car with black leather

without taxes, $25,413

+ destination fee of $540
    + inspection by nissan (forgot what this was called... basically to remove the plastic, clean up glue, etc) $349

am I getting ripped off? thanks-
    verde2
  • hammer19hammer19 Posts: 31
    Hi all, I know this has been covered in past postings but I can't find them - has anyone had a problem with a vibrationg hood at highway speeds? I just returned from a LONG trip thru the States in my '03 SE and I noticed a slight vibration or shake on the driver's side of my hood at higher speeds (60 to 70 mph). I plan to contact Nissan and ask about it, but have any of you experienced this in the past? - and what was your resolution. Thanks!
    "Inspection by Nissan?" What's that? The dealer's got quite an imagination. Dealer prep is built into the price of the vehicle. It should be labed ADP (additional dealer profit). Add it all up. How close to invoice is it?
  • t57t57 Posts: 1
    I'm really interested in buying an 02' or 03' SE fully loaded with everything but leather. Seeing that the redesign is coming soon, I'm wondering if it wouldn't be a better idea to wait until early next year when the dealers are trying to off load the current model. Any thoughts? I've priced both years with options and it seems like the 03' model is a better value because the options are grouped differently....
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    That "dealer inspection" they are trying to charge you is their advertising fee. I wouldn't really pay that if I were you, because you don't have to. Why should you pay for Nissan to advertise the car, right? :)

That does sound like a good price though. What's the MSRP on the car you are looking at?
  • berbelberbel Posts: 167
    Verde:

I agree with VOCUS. If that "inspection" fee is
    some duplicitous way to hide "advertising costs"
    just tell them you are not going to pay it. I commented on this subject once before on this
    board. ADVERTISING is "cost of doing business"
    just like paying homeowners insurance is cost of
    owning a home. When I bought my Max they tried to
    hammer me with the same thing. I simply told them
    I wasn't paying it and it came off the paperwork!
    Also.....I think you have a pretty good price on
    the new SE. Good luck.

berbel
    There is a TSB for hood vibration...but from the way the bulletin is worded late 02's (and assuming03's) are "not" supposed to be affected. The left(drivers) side of my hood on my '02 SE bounces/vibrates at highway speeds as well. Nissan has a fix for it, so it should not be a problem. My 02(built in Feb) falls outside the VIN range of affected cars.
    The 02's and 03's are essentially the same with the only real difference being the titanium package. If you want to buy now you will likely get a better deal on an 02- Plus get the low financing or $1000 rebate. I cant speak for all the SE's across the country...but I have seen very few SE's (02 or 03) that do not have leather. About a month ago I saw one silver 03 SE at the dealer I bought my 02 from that was a cloth 6 speed. The dealer told me that is a rare combination. I know the 6 speed alone is hard enough to find. Good luck
  • There is really someone on here with the name "obiwankenobi"??? Wow. Interesting. I have had "obiwankenobi1" since 1999 because someone already had "obiwankenobi"

I guess he was here first! :(

Obi
  • marsha7marsha7 Posts: 3,661
    I will stand (partially) corrected, as some of your comments are true...I agree with you about "picking on the guys" due to layoffs and such, but that still doesn't change the fact that cars made by Japanese makers seem to have a better quality rep than the cars made by our union boys (and girls) over here, and every buyer out there really wants as much quality as their money can buy...later...
  • Greetings. I'm new to the list and need some advice from Maxima SE owners. I am seriously considering purchase of a 2000 Maxima SE 5 speed, dark green, beige velour interior, sun roof, a few other small options. The car has 37,000 miles on it, looks great, and drives great. This will be my first Nissan - replacing a 94 Probe GT 5 speed. Asking price is $18,995 - a bit high according to Edmonds - at an Acura dealer. Any problems that I should be looking for? I have an excellent AAA shop that I can take it for evaluation - I figure it's worth the $50 they will charge for a complete look over. Would appreciate any advice on this ASAP!
    Thanks,
    JazzerMP
  • My lease of 2000 Maxima GXE is almost over.
    I scheduled ITS inspection next week. I enjoyed every moment driving it. Car is 2.5 years old, 30K miles and I was offered $12.800 trade in price by Nissan dealler. I was also trying to get new Camry but could not get more than $13.500. And of course they wanted to sell new car for MSRP. So I checked with NMAC and I have to pay only $250
    as early termination fee. This is lower than I expected. I want to return it earlier to avoid charges for tires later on.
    I want to get used Nissan now (2001 or 2002 model) and let somebody else pay 1st year deprisiation. $5000 for one year is too mach. I like the car but I don't like to waist money.
  • Jazzermp, I bet they bought it for $15000 a max.
    Give them $15500 for this car. Check your local newspaper for how much people selling this car.
    You'll be amaized.
    Good luck.
  • I’m hoping that someone on this board can help me get some information straight. I have a Consumer Guide Used Cars & Trucks book for 2002. Inside it lists average repair costs for each model reviewed. For the fourth and (fifth) generation Maximas it shows the following costs:

A/C Compressor $625 ($705)
    Alternator 450 (290)
    Automatic Transmission or
    Transaxle 1080 (1310)
    Brakes 210 (455)
    Constant Velocity Joints 1145 (740)
    Clutch, Pressure Plate, Bearings 515 (635)
    Exhaust System 375 (480)
    Radiator 445 (380)
    Shocks/and or Struts 1530 (470)
    Timing Chain or Belt 1305 (460)

I was under the impression that the fifth generation Maxima is a revision of the fourth generation chassis and mechanicals. So it seems surprising that repair costs on CVJ’s, Struts, and Timing Chains fell so dramatically. Does anyone know if these numbers are reasonable, and if so, why?

On a different specification I remember reading that my fourth generation Maxima has a turning diameter of 34.8 ft. while the 2000 Maxima’s number was 35.7 ft. I’ve been interested in buying a 2002 Maxima SE 6-speed, but just saw that it’s turning circle is 40 ft! Could this be true? And what would account for the huge change in the same generation?

Thanks in advance to anyone who might be able to help with these questions!