Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Maxima

Comments

• roar1roar1 Posts: 193
    I'm glad you're happy with your car. I've owned Nissans for
    18 yrs. ( '86 Max, '92 PUP, '94 Altima, '00 Max, '02 Max )
    The '94 Altima was the absolute BEST car I've ever owned
    ( made in Smyrna TN. btw ). In years past, I actually
    considered Nissans to be BETTER than Toyotas ( Owned 2
    Toyotas )

However, recent Nissan iterations are problematic. IMHO,
     the chances of getting a good Nissan in years
    past was up around 95%. Currently, with the Carlos Ghosen
    Nissans, I'd say that chance is down to about 65%.

Happy motoring !!
  • greathannygreathanny Posts: 17
    I was looking at a 2004 Maxima which is being sold by a private party who seems to be very ignorant of the car's features. The seller said that the car did not have navigation. However, the car had a screen where it looked like navigation would be. My question is whether someone call tell me if the non-navigation cars have the same screen found in cars with navigation systems. Or is this seller simply incorrect in his statement that his car does not have navigation? If it does not have navigation, can it be added after the fact. This car look liked it was set up for navigation. Thanks.
  • ccermakccermak Posts: 260
    The Max and Murano both have a screen that looks like it should be a Nav but it ain't. It's an information screen that tells you stuff like how many mpg getting right now, how many left on this tank of gas, ambient temp, etc.
  • gerapaugerapau Posts: 211
    The screen in question also displays your radio information as well as the heating and air conditioning information.
  • lichtronimolichtronimo Posts: 212
    Nissan news is reporting Maxima sales figures of only 21625 YTD through April. If carried forward, this is roughly 85000 sales per year, which is ahead of Nissan's announced projection of 70000 units per year. Recent incentives may be helping, of course.
  • bowke28bowke28 Posts: 2,185
    what incentives???
    1.9% for 60 months, which expired this past week. Certainly not a GM/Ford/Chrysler type incentive, but an incentive none the less typical of Honda or Toyota.
    i think its pretty cool, though, that the car went over a year in production without incentives, and STILL got over the target mark for sales.

i have seen lots of people dog on the maxima for being too big, too luxury, etc...but almost a year ago i explained nissan's intentions:

the maxima was PURPOSEFULLY moved into the 'entry lux' market to capture tha avalon/TL/gs330 market. this was also done to make room for the altima 3.5 to move into the "4-door sports car" role in the lineup.

nissan even changed the wording on the monroney sticker from "4-door sports car" to "nissan's flagship"

previous generation maxima owners also dog on the altima without trying it. by my own experience, the 2002+ altima 3.5 performs at least as well as the maximas before.

people are starting to move toward the altima now. here in KY, the altima was the best selling sedan overall last year, including the accord, camry, taurus, etc...

i think its time to forget about the maxima being the sports car after 2003.
    the Altima and G35 have assumed the 4DSC role. The Maxima serves an important, yet distinct niche that may crossover into the Infiniti I30's market.

I wonder if Nissan plans to phase out the I30 so as to focus the Infiniti line-up solely towards rear wheel / all-wheel drive platforms consistent with luxury makes such as Lexus, BMW, Merc and now Cadillac.

BTW, the 1.9% expired yesterday. Its worth noting that the incentive really wasn't well publisized either and that I agree with Bowke that Maxima's sales to date aren't really incentive dependent.
  • kyleknickskyleknicks Posts: 433
    does the current i35 have the same body style as the 2000-2003 maxima?
    but not for much longer.
  • leonivleoniv Posts: 120
    The I35 will be gone soon. It's rumored a V6 version of the new M45 will take it's place.

Also, Lexus isn't exclusively rear-wheel/all-wheel drive just yet. The RX330 and ES330 are FWD and will probably stay that way as long as they're based on the Camry platform.
  • prodigalsunprodigalsun Posts: 213
    Ok...Mice are getting into my car. At first, I thought it was just a random thing, set a trap and caught the first one. Now, a second one has arrived, and shredded a styrophoam container, and it looks like it's shredded some insulation material.

My question is, is there something in the design of the max that would facilitate them getting in? I park outside, by a stand of trees, so I'm assuming they're coming in from there. I don't leave doors, windows, SR open. I would hate to have to set traps daily in my car to keep them from doing damage, but right now I don't have any clues. Anyone else?
  • andmoonandmoon Posts: 320
    prodigalsun, Mice can do some serious damage! If you don't have children, get some moth balls and leave them near where they set up home ( sometimes just outside the car or in the engine compartment/trunk should do it) Over the winter a family of mice set up residence in the muffler of my motorcycle. By the time I found out it was too late and I had mice and mice condo pieces flying out the exhaust.
    Don
    I agree with some of the posts above, but what I don't like about the new Max (and Nissan's direction in general) is the interiors. Look at 2002-2004 Altima, new Titan, even Z. Nissan has gone cheapo on interiors in favor of engines and performance. Build quality doesn't seem as good as before either. Japanese Pontiac? Haven't seen an 05 Altima yet, heard it's much better. But my .02 is that if Nissan wants the Max to compete with the likes of TL, I30, 3 series, ES330, etc they better up the quality of interior materials on the Max like they're doing for the Altima. I spend 95%+ of my time looking at and touching the INSIDE of my car. I do understand keeping things cheaper to make performance affordable, but that's what Pontiac is for.
    I think the Max interior is pretty good, given its price for less equipt cars. I particuarlly like the fabic around the back of the instrument panel.

The quality in other Nissan's has been abysmal. Ever try that center storage bin on the Z? Embarassing!

It seems however, that Nissan faced a choice when creating this generation of products in relation to its financial crisis. One, they could spend what development dollars they had on the "go" parts or on the "touch" parts. They clearly choose "go". It was probably the right decision to separate themselves from Toyota and Honda to be a more performance oriented alternative, as Mazda has also done. Hopefully, the 05' Altima is an indication that they intend to improve the "touch" part of the equation with mid-cycle updates.
  • prodigalsunprodigalsun Posts: 213
    Unfortunately, I do have kids, so I'm a little dubious about the mothball approach.
    I'm impartial to the "faux suede" thing they've got going on in the Max. I have read in other posts that it hasn't held up well, that being from someone who rented one. It wore down and looked bad in the frequently touched parts. Obviously a rental takes more abuse than normal. What I'm not big on is plastic quality. Just sit in a new TL, WAY nicer inside than Max. More ging for a TL though. Boils down to this, you want GO you get Max, you want SHOW you get Lexus but pay for it, you want both SHOW AND GO you get TL but pay for it. If it wasn't for the torque steer the TL would be boss for the $, probably still is.
  • dklaneckydklanecky Posts: 559
    Probably coming in through the cold air intake for the engine. Maybe they're moving from there into the hvac system and then into the car somehow.

How about a small piece of metal window screen over the air intake opening, just to see if it stops them?

If they're coming in now, your going to have a much bigger problem once the weather turns cold again and they try to find a warm place to live.
  • kennyg5kennyg5 Posts: 360
    I also am not a fan of the so-called suede. It, and the rest of the interior plasticky materials, looks cheap in the new Max when compared with the gorgeous fit and finish of the new TL. I suppose the cost to Nissan to upgrade the materials to meet the TL standards is less than $500, but the benefits can be significant. Nissan may then rightfully charge more, instead of selling the Max at or below invoice, like it is now doing.

Frankly speaking, even though Nissan is not giving any incentive now, the low price at which it sells the Max is an incentive in and of itself. On the other hand, the TL is selling close to MSRP in certain locales, especially for the TL with Nav. Nissan should take lessons from Acura in this regard.
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    Agree 100%.

As a very happy 1995 Maxima SE 5-speed owner, my business was Nissan's to lose. They did. I'm prepared to spend $33.3k on a TL 6-speed Navigation. The fact that I could save $6,000+ on a Maxima SE doesn't make up for the fact that it is clearly a downscale car compared with the TL. And you are right, the true incrmental cost of making it an upscale interior might have been $1k at the most. Even the G35 has too much value engineering to make it attractive.
  • kenm8kenm8 Posts: 71
    I think that you would both agree that its much more than the interior that’s the problem. The car is a pretender to something(?). If it were a person, it has a lack of persona. It handles ponderously. It has the face of an old Buick Roadmaster but otherwise tries to be contemporary. It does not have balance between engine power and handling. We will never know, but it would be interesting “who” the marketing and executive folks at Nissan had in mind when they approved this design. Being the owners of a 97 Max SE, my wife and I would not buy this vehicle at "any" cost. We test drove an 04 Max, 04 Accord and 04 TL last Oct. It was not even close. The wife bought a TL. The second choice would have been the Accord and we both thought it far exceeded the Max overall.
  • sysadmin1sysadmin1 Posts: 122
    Did it...

They rub...

I tried Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 235/50/17's from the tire rack online. Had them delivered to the tire shop and was psyched to see them. The really looked good, wide, very tough....but, as you turned the wheel, they rub in the back of the wheel well. The installer would not leave them on the car for the obvious safety hazards...

Tire rack said they would fit, but obviously they didn't. So they took care of getting them shipped back and re-shipping the 225's to the installer free of charge. The 225's fit fine, but wish I had gotten the 235's. Much better looking, but rubbed quite a bit.

Hope this helps
  • kennyg5kennyg5 Posts: 360
    I agree with your assessment of the new Max to a great extent. However, I don't think the Max looks ugly, in fact it can look quite aggressive from certain angles. Yet the car does not handle very well in corners (even with the new IRS) or at full throttle starts (due to torque steer).

As some of the Max fans have observed, Nissan has made the new Max into an Avalon with a souped-up engine -- i.e. a roomy car(on steroids)with luxury pretensions but a lackluster sales volume. Unfortunately, the new design and formulation is not what most Max fans want ... the "4DSC" which the old Max used to be known for.

I recall Consumer Report described the new Max as a sporty (yet pricey) car lacking in refinement. Further, CR commented that the new Max would not compare well against the less expensive Camry or Accord (or even the Grand Prix), all of which are considered Max's competitors. Therefore, despite Nissan's wish to move the new Max upscale, the car mags' editors have not been so moved.

In addition, most Max fans (particularly those who are now more financially secure and are able to afford more expensive cars) do appreciate the difference in build quality between the TL and the Max. Thus, many (former) Max owners have moved to higher and greener pastures, even though the TL costs at least $3,500 more.

If Nissan wants the Max owners to look at the Altima as a replacement thinking that the lower-priced Altima will also please the Max owners, it has not made a sound business judgment and does not really know what Max fans want.
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    Agree with your assessment 100%. "Trading up" to an Altima? They have to be nuts.

Furthermore, even the G35 doesn't fit the bill as an upscale replacement for the Maxima. Why they couldn't put a TL quality and cleanly designed interior in the G35 is a mystery, but I'm beginning to think Nissan is forever lost in interior design by committee (with a few blind members). Even the 350Z looks tacky compared to my spartan, but high quality, S2000.

Repeated offers to sell me a G35 sedan 6-speed at or below invoice hasn't tempted me. Transplanting the TL interior into the RWD G35, with a few other minor adjustments would likely do the trick - and I would gladly pay above invoice for that combination.
    Dare I say that Mazda is going the way of Nissan of old??? Zoom Zoom with pretty cool interiors on their 3 and 6 cars. If price is factored, I think the Mazda 6 is the new affordable "4DSC". And I'd be all over a Mazda 3 versus Civic, Sentra, Corolla, etc. Maybe the SE-R Altima will get me back on the bandwagon as opposed to bashwagon. I will say that I still do not mind driving my 2000 SE with 65K miles. Had an 02 sensor and altenator thus far, but still on original brakes. Just waiting for the coils to poop out.
    i think you, like many still out there, discredit the altima simply for its name. a rose by any other name...

the fact is, its performance numbers are at least as good as the old maxima, the 2005 upgrades have matched or exceeded the old max's refinement, and the new SE-R should bring it all home.

and noone said anything about "trading up" to an altima...it would be a lateral move.
  • pernaperna Posts: 533
    I think you hit the nail on the head. At least for me, personally...

It's too bad they can't go back in time and call the '05 Altima a "Maxima", and have a new nameplate for the '04 Maxima ("Maxalon"? "Maxabuick"?). I wanted a Maxima for years and when I saw what direction they were heading with the '04, I took the plunge and bought one of the last '03s. An Altima, for me, means "bland little sedan" and always will. My parents had a '96 and it was ok, but nothing more. Reliable as dirt, and about as exciting.

If my Maxima were totalled today, my first visit would be to the Cadillac dealer to try out a CTS. That car was out when I bought my Max, but at the time it had that crappy Opel engine and that turned me off of the car entirely. My second visit would be to the Chrysler dealer to try out a 300C. I find the Mazda 6 and G35 to be just a bit too small, although I'm sure both cars are a blast to drive.

It's funny how, in a year, I go from "must own Maxima" to "I'll give two domestic sedans a chance to impress me".
  • sysadmin1sysadmin1 Posts: 122
    got rid of pathfinder in Dec. with 60K mile son it when dealer said ALL the ignition coils were bad and wanted 700 to repair..Wish someone would total my 02 Max so I can move on to a better brand...problem is cant sell it cause its worth 3K less than I owe...resale vaule has dropped like a rock...never again a Nissan or Infinity..
  • los2fastlos2fast Posts: 9
    This morning my 2004 Maxim struggled to start. I know previous years Maximas had cold start problems but does the 2004 suffer from the same problem?