Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Maxima

Comments

• vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    I have seen them go for around $200 on Ebay, and they seem pretty easy to install as well.
  • roar1roar1 Posts: 193
    ccermak, vocus, nissangirl :

Thanks for your input. With regard to the clearmask, I have seen 2 cars with it
    and it is virtually 99% invisible. I am mainly concerned with how it holds up
    over time. 3M warrants it for life against yellowing and cracking and my installer
    said he would replace it if there was a problem. Another good website for this is
    www.xpel.com.

Several years ago, I installed additional wood trim in my 2k Max. GLE. At that
    time I purchased a kit for about $ 200 from www.woodtrim.com which was
    actually a JoshuaTree kit. I bought this kit because they offered a " Factory
    Match " Kit which nicely matched the existing trim in the GLE. As far
    as installation goes, if you follow the directions AND take your time it
    will turn out great. I'm very happy with it. However, if you only want to re-do
    the armrest, it would certainly be cheaper to order a trim piece replacement
    from your dealer . ( I'm thinking maybe $ 25 ?? ) It just pops off.

BTW: Good luck with " Isadore" . I hope you are in the right place at the right
    time. ;-)
  • jc86jc86 Posts: 18
    I wonder if these are the same product as both are made by 3M.

http://www.invinca-shield.com

$67 for the hood and end caps

$289 to cover the entire front

• kennyg5kennyg5 Posts: 360
    I now drive a 97 GLE and I am shopping for an 03 GLE with everything except nav and spoiler. The dealer quotes $26,600 and I wonder if that is a good price. I know carsdirect.com sells it at $26,500. The GLE does NOT come with a compass in the mirror but the SE with the titanium package does. Does anyone know if one can swap for a SE mirror? I think the Bose in the 03 is inferior because the range for bass and treble is small and the system sounds boomy (bass heavy). Also, I think there is more wind noise and there is quite a bit of torque steer when you accelerate hard. However, I think the 03 is better equipped, such as 6-disc CD changer, steering wheel controls, heated wheel, memory seat, xenon headlights, side airbag, etc. I am also debating whether I should get the GLE or the Acura TL, both of which are high value cars. Is there anyone on this Board who owns both and/or has test driven both? Comments,suggestions or advice are appreciated.
  • Roar1 and Vocus - Thanks for the info on dealerships in the DC / MD area. I received a nice
    (I think) offer on a 2003 Max SE, Gray Lustre, Frost Cloth & Sunroof - $23,800 plus tax, title, tags. I am picking up the car on Friday afternoon for an extended test drive (returning it on Saturday). Let me know what you think of the deal!
    I am not aware of any dealer in my area who offers an extended test drive such as the one you mentioned. With some dealers, you are lucky if they offer you a short test drive (5 minutes) on your first visit. In fact, many dealers want you to make an appointment for a test drive, which means you have to go back a second time to indicate that you are really interested. Of course, I am only taking about Nissan, Toyota and Honda dealers. More upscale dealers such as Lexus, Infiniti or Acura let you test drive in your first visit.
  • KennyG5....Do yourself a favor and get a Maxima SE. I have two co-workers who have new TL's and they both thought my new 03 Max was much nicer. The TL is just so boring to look at, in my opinion. I came from a 99 Lexus GS 300 to my new 03 Max and have not looked back. Lexus had several warranty related issues including many trips to the dealer for squeaks and rattles, water pump that went out, the whole ECU computer had to be replaced, and some other items I can't recall. I believe the SE will have better resale value than the GLE as well since it has more option packages to make it more custom to what you want. The titanium package is unique to the SE as you know and does add a few things the GLE doesn't get or have. I have not found torque steer to be a problem (I have traction control) and I think the 7 speaker BOSE in the Max sounds much better than the 5 speaker BOSE in the TL. Load up 6 of your favorite CD's, put it on random mix and hit the road! It took me a bit to adjust the speakers to how I like them and some CD's are a bit "boomy" but simply turn down the bass a little and you are fine. Great car so far. Plus with the TL you get such a limited color choice for both the interior and exterior. The ONLY thing I might like better about the TL is that the front seats are a little softer, but then again, so is the whole car. One of my workers with the TL has a wind noise that the dealer cannot fix and an annoying dash rattle/buzz. My car is so far and rattle and squeak free at about 1000 miles.

I got my 03 Majestic Blue Max SE for $250.00 over invoice at the beginning of Sept here in Seattle. Options are leather (black), titanium and meridian packages, sunroof, traction control, carpet trunk mat. It had just come off the truck and the interior was still wrapped in plastic. Good Luck.
    Thanks for your comments. I think the suspension of the SE is a bit too firm for me, particularly when it is combined with the rear beam axle suspension that I am not thrilled with. The 04 Max comes with 4 wheel independent suspension but it will be made in the U.S., not Japan. My wife is urging me a buy the 03 now because she wants to drive my 97 GLE (with 30k miles only) and does not want to spend $500 to repair her 92 Max (with 73k miles), which has been relatively trouble free. She thinks the money spend on the 92 Max is not justifiable in light of its resale value. What do you think? As to the TL, you are right about the color choice, but I don't think it looks boring, may be just a bit bland, but definitely not ugly. I think the TL is just reliable as the Max, but it carries a higher resale value and a longer warranty, plus it has 4 wheel independ. suspension.
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    My 2 cents on the TL vs. Max. Disclosure: I own a 1995 Maxima SE, but also a 2002 Honda S2000, so I am not biased against Honda/Acura (and in fact, think the S2000 is a no-brainer performance and quality choice over the 350Z).

That said, the Acura TL is experiencing some un-Honda like problems (auto transmission and little fit and finish issues), is made in the US and, in spite of high horsepower numbers on paper, is way, way down from a BMW 3-series in driving dynamics. If I was replacing my sedan today and decided not to upgrade to a BMW 5-series, I think I would pick a Japanese built 2003 Maxima over a US-built Acura TL. If I really needed to save money, I might consider a Honda Accord, but I just don't see the value of the TL over the Maxima. I do favor performance, however, and the SE 6-speed would be my clear choice - for which there is no Honda/Acura equivalent. If I was forced to chose between a 4-speed auto GLE and 5-speed auto TL, that would be a little tougher.

P.S. The S2000 was a much easier choice - Boxster S performance with Honda quality and limited production exclusivity for $32k. What's not to like?
  • Guy,

Here's another web site. Researched it last year but didn't went for it. They in fact have local installers also if you are not willing to take the risk of messing it up. Expensive stuff though.

http://www.xpel.com/

• Before you buy, check out Sheehy in Annapolis (near Annapolis Mall) and Lustine Nissan in New Carollton near the Metro. I got my 02 SE from Annapolis. Good prices, better prices on GLE. Happy shopping.
  • Thanks for the heads-up about Annapolis. I wasn't too thrilled with the folks in New Carrolton. I am picking up an SE tomorrow in Silver Spring for the extended test drive, and make my decision at that point. I'd love to have a GLE, just think it is going to be outside of my price range. Any concerns that I should have with the SE?
  • jmh8jmh8 Posts: 3
    I need advice. I am looking to by a 2000 Max SE Loaded with every avail. option. The dealer has it listed at 20995. I checked edmunds for trade in value--17k, and kelly B.B. is 15500k. What do think is a reasonable offer for the vehicle? It has only 15000 miles. Thanks
  • mirthmirth Posts: 1,212
    If you're buying it from the dealer, why are you looking at the trade-in value. You'll never get that buying from a dealer. Look at retail or private party selling prices. Better yet, go to the Real World Trade-In Values under Smart Shopper and ask Bill or Terry what a good price should be when buying from the dealer:

kruebbe "Real-World Trade-In Values" Aug 30, 2002 11:54pm
  • what r u guys using to clean your alloy wheels? i haven't cleaned the insides of mine since i got my car 2 yrs ago..now there's brown dirty and brake dust in there.. i figure i'll take off my wheels one of these weekends and clean them and then wax them... any advice?
  • dvfdvf Posts: 3
    I have a 00 GLX with 40k, and still just love the car. I need to replace the right rear taillight but can not find an access into it to replace the bulb. Anyone know how to do that?. I also need to replace the OME tires which were TOYO Proxes. I live in Mn so need some good alround M&S tires. Any suggestions.
    Thanks much for any help you can provide.
    Dvf
  • Don't have the directions at hand (at work) but they're pretty easy to change. I just followed the owner's manuals instructions.

The little plastic fastners that hold the interior trunk finish piece are a little tricky to get out the first time you try it but it's easy after the first one.
  • berbelberbel Posts: 167
    I do mine everytime I wash the car.

Get yourself a bottle of wheel cleaner @ an auto
    supply store and a brush with something like tampico bristles (soft/non scratching). Just
    spray the inside (between the spokes) and brush
    away. Rinse each wheel as soon as you're done
    cleaning it. Several manufacturers make the cleaner
    but be sure the label says "all wheel types" so
    you don't buy something that will eat the clear
    coat or pit it.

berbel (master detailer)
  • Tell me how to get water spots off my finish (Sterling Mist) and off of my windows. Those darned spots will not go away for me.
  • nissangirl... u could throw a lil vingar into a bucket of water and that would get rid of the waterspots on your windows....

on your paint, not sure if vinagar is safe for your paint...