Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Maxima

Comments

• maxamillion1maxamillion1 Posts: 1,467
    From what I have heard (and seen at local dealerships) the 05 Maxima has not received significant changes interior-wise.

They add chrome door handles and the metal trim is a bit different and I also saw the power outlet beside the shifter now.

I don't think Nissan will really improve on the Maxima's interior until it is facelifted or even redesigned...but there needs to be somethng done about it.

I think the Maxima's interior will probably be as drastic a change as the Altima's facelifted interior was...but judging from how the 05 G35 looks, I would not expect much...

However, I must say that lately I have grown to like the latest Maxima...would I buy one?

Probably not...but it does look better now than it did when it first came out. I guess my eye have gotten used to it.

So to answer the question NO, the 05 interior is not changed very much over the typical 04 model.

And for Carman,

The SL IMO looks a bit nicer than the SEs do. I am a BIG fan of the SL's wheels and like them...and I also think the wood trim in the SL model looks better than the silver-metallic trim they are using now.

Overall, I think the lower-priced Altima has the better interior over both the Max SE or SL.
  • carman4carman4 Posts: 15
    MAXIMILLON1 THANKS FOR THE REPLY I THINK I AM GOING TO BUY THE SL TODAY IF THEY HAVE THE ONE I WANT IN STOCK I AM GOING FOR THE MOON ROOF AND VDC WHICH IS A ANTI SKID OPTION THEY ARE LOOKING FOR ME NOW THANK TOM
  • b10609b10609 Posts: 37
    Guys, I looked up the Canadian 2000 Maxima info I got back then, the GXE base automatic included traction control. The GXE Convenience Package option included 16" alloys (GLE style),215/55 R 16's,pwr seat,automatic air,premium 6 speaker (120 watt)AM/FM/CD,Casette, armrest, Homelink,and cargo net. FYI price was $30,290 CDN for automatic incl traction, and GXE Convenience Package took it to $31,900. PS There are no trunk letters on GXE's here. -Waterloo
  • duke_waduke_wa Posts: 12
    Thanks for the info, b10609 from Waterloo, that's exactly the used y2k Maxima model that I just purchased in Ottawa. it has all the features you mentioned, plus the Convenience Package. So there's a reason why there is no "GXE" badging on the trunk lid.

I have the upgraded GLE style rims and fortunately, the tires that are on the car are almost new all season Yokohama AV Y4s, which seem great so far. Has anyne had any experience with these tires? The reviews all say the AV Y4 model is excellent.

All in all, if you don't need leather seats or a sun roof, this dressed up XE Canadian Maxima GXE package is wonderful! The heated seats work great, the stereo, while not BOSE, is an upgrade and sounds pretty good, plus I find the auto climate contol very convenient. I'm wondering if the suspension on this model is also an upgrade, because the handling is great. I'll find out more about the traction control this winter. ;)

This car is very solid and the quality oozes from every square inch of it. My wife even wants to trade me her Subaru AWD Outback wagon for my y2k Maxima. No deal!
    Hello again, DUKE WA. You've bought a good GXE there, the Convenience Package upgrades the Maxima perfectly. Suggestion: Ottawa gets a lot of snow, you might be better off buying a set of plain steel wheels and putting on a set of snow tires if you need to travel around more than most people. My 2001 GLE TCS has been good in winter but the original spec Toyo Proxes AO5 all season tires don't cut it for serious winter driving. Confession: My wife - big Subie fan also- has a 2003 Forester AWD and lends it to me on snow days & the Maxima stays home in the garage. Your GXE standard spec wheels are 205/65 R 15's with wheel covers - deleted when Convenience Package was ordered. A set of those could probably be located cheaply and that wheel size gives you all kinds of reasonable winter tire choices plus go anywhere ability with your TCS. Regards from WATERLOO.
  • suydamsuydam Posts: 952
    I also have a 2001 GLE and until recently, a Subaru, and the Maxima went everywhere in snow that the Forester did, with the exception of extremely icy days. If you get a lot of very deep snow the snow tires might be a good idea. I have regular Bridgestone Turanzas on my Max.
  • carman4carman4 Posts: 15
    I just picked up my new 2005 sl I just have one question I have leather in the car but there is a very strong odor in the car I can't tell if it's a cleaning odor or the car it's self anyone else have this . The car has 20 miles on it. I will stop by tomorrow and ask the dealer Tom
  • max05max05 Posts: 29
    I just bought an 05 maxima SL, love the wood vs. the SE and prefer the 17 inch wheels...my previous car was a 2000 maxima SE. Biggest difference is the Bose stereo....320 watts, 6 cd changer and 8 speakers vs. 200 watts, single cd and 5. I also have memory seats and power tilt wheel as well as audio controls on wheel...and a heated steering wheel and power folding mirrors and side curtain airbags and night vision mirrors and 43 more horsepower and a manual shift mode as well as automatic, vs my 2000, which i loved by the way....

As far as the 05 interior vs. 04, I think the differences are subtle...i'm told the "titanium" is made from a different material, since the 04 scratched too easily. Also there is now an indicator light (next to the red security light) on the dash to signal when the passenger airbag is disabled or enabled. I was also told the leather seats are softer...I did notice the 04 SE i test drove had "stiff" seats compared to the car i purchased.
  • duke_waduke_wa Posts: 12
    Thanks again, b10609, I never realized how sweet these Maximas are. This y2k model is truly a first class 4dr. sedan. I see the posts that complain about the rear axle. Well.....why don't you check out the ride and handling? This car is for real!

I was also checking out the posts concerning Accord vs. Maxima and as far as I'm concerned, the Maxima is far more sporty and has at least as good quality as the Accord. Any other comments about this?
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    ...responses to that question should be placed in that very same Nissan Maxima vs. Honda Accord, so let's invite folks who want to respond to click on that link and continue there.

:)
    Accords are great cars - many more around. Since all Maximas have had only hot V-6's for years, they've gained a lot of respect in auto buff circles. The switch to US manufacturing has hampered Maxima quality of late, Honda would probably win for now. But, Nissan won't sit still on these issues. I see Altima as more direct competition for Accord, price wise and style. Enjoy that Maxima ! Waterloo
  • otis12otis12 Posts: 160
    Are these lighted on the SL model?
  • Not on any Nissan, at least through the models released currently.
  • p100p100 Posts: 1,116
    One would assume that these control would be lighted and tied to the dash light dimmer switch.
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    You know what they say about the word assume ;-)
  • big_guybig_guy Posts: 372
    I had an '05 Maxima as a rental car for a recent business trip. I liked a lot of things about it but noticed a few quirks that made me wonder if they are typical for this car.

First; the Maxima seems to have a very large turning radius (at least much larger than the vehicles I am used to driving). Is this an accurate statement?

Second; The cruise control works great uphill and on flat stretches of road but it gets confused going downhill. Whenever I had a downhill stretch the cruise would shut down to a coast mode and then engage the engine for a short burst then go back to a coast mode. This repeated itself several times which resulted in a kind of herky jerky ride down the hill. For those stretches I just shut down the cruise and modulated the gas myself then re-engaged the cruise at the bottom of the hill. Is this typical?

Third; The view out the back window isn't very good and there are some substantial blind spots due to thick pillars and a narrow rear window opening.

Fourth; The instrument lighting isn't all that attractive ... I didn't care for the orange-yellow coloration.

Fifth; The trunk deck metal felt rather flimsy. It felt like it would dent pretty easily if you closed the lid by pushing down with more than a light closing motion.

Sixth; The steering didn't communicate back to the driver as much as I am used to (I currently drive a VW Passat). It wasn't really bad but felt a bit over-boosted compared to what I'm used to.

Seventh; The driver seat isn't all that comfortable for a long drive ... at least not for a tall driver like myself (I'm 6'-7"). My back was pretty fatigued after a 300 mile trip.

Eighth; The gaps in the body panels seemed rather large. Of course, I'm used to the tight fitting sections of my Passat.

Other than that it was a pretty pleasant vehicle with great engine response and a pleasant cabin.
  • nowakj66nowakj66 Posts: 709
    Hey Big_guy - how does that Passat fit you? What other sedans seem to fit you well? At 6' 4", I am always on the lookout for sedans and wagons that fit.
  • big_guybig_guy Posts: 372
    The Passat fits me very well. I like a lot of things about the Passat but it has its quirks too.
  • You've made a profound comment, Big Guy. I have no doubt that your Passat is a very nice car, but as you say, every vehicle has strengths and weaknesses, "quirks." The important thing is to realize what quirks are minor and can be overlooked when evaluating your car and realizing what quirks are serious quality or mechanical problems.

There are a lot of bad cars out there and a lot of gems. I think the Maxima is truly a cut above. Yes, it has some potentially expensive quirks, like the O2 sensors and ignition coil issues. But other than these things, this car is wonderful! I'm a big guy too and I am very comfortable in this car and so impressed by my Maxima's quality!
  • i recently puchased 04 maxima SE with all the luxury upgrades, navigation, heated front and rear seats, heated steering wheel. bucket rear seats and sky view roof, very rare car but i must say that i am not pleased with the way it handles bumps on the road. i think the suspension need to be changed ifeel every bump, i do live in nyc however and the streets here are very bad.if anyone feels the same way i do please respond. thx
  • If you don't mind, how much did you pay for your maxima? I am currently looking for a maxima w/nav, and the best cote that I got is 29500. To me looks too much. Thx.
  • I've got 90,000 miles on my 2000 Max GXE and am trying to decide whether to go to the dealer ($400-550), or my local mechanic, who will be about half the price. I'm concerned that he doesn't have the 'Nissan equipment' to check the engine and make sure it is at factory specs. But I trust this guy and am leery of the $85 per hour Chilton rate dealer routine. Any opinion on the importance of using the dealer for this major service?

Thanks

Thanks
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    Assuming your Nissan dealer isn't gouging you too severly, I'd be tempted to take the car to the dealer for the major services. It's one thing to go to an independent mechanic for a routine oil change and tire rotation. I took my 1995 Maxima SE w/ 153k miles in to the dealer (excellent service and reasonably priced) and never had any problems. We elected to go the independent route with our Isuzu Trooper (terrible dealer with obscene prices). Unfortunately, the independent mechanic screwed up some work (twisted the spark plugs in a major tune up) and it ended up costing us a fortune. Of course they wouldn't admit to having done anything wrong and Isuzu wouldn't give us a break on a vehicle that was 2 months out of warranty (still under mileage).
  • ccermakccermak Posts: 260
    I'm not sure what's all on the 90k schedule, I'm assuming plugs, flushes of tranny & radiator & power steering, probably throttle body cleaning plus other subjective type stuff. I lean towards independents for those due to price, and lean towards dealers for major stuff like tranny rebuilds, computer stuff, etc. Just my .02, they're all hit or miss in my book. And expensive for that matter.
  • I agree with your comment about the Maxima's front seat being uncomfortable. The problem is that the cushion depth is too shallow, so that it feels like sitting on a ledge. It appears that Nissan uses the same front seats in the Maxima as in the Sentra. This is my biggest complaint about the car.
  • No they are not on my 04 SL, but they should be. This is a shortcoming. They are useless at night.
  • kennyg5kennyg5 Posts: 360
    "It appears that Nissan uses the same front seats in the Maxima as in the Sentra. This is my biggest complaint about the car."

I doubt if this is true, though I never sat or rode in a Sentra :-) To me, the best seats are in the 3rd gen Max, 5th and 6th gens are tied as second, and 4th gen is the least comfortable, though not really uncomfortable. I am 5'8" and find all gens roomy, both front and back.

My biggest complaint about the 4th and 5th gens is the rear axle suspension, which makes the car hop over bumps, such as highway expansion joints and parking lot speed bumps. The 6th gen uses independent rear suspension, but from what I heard in this forum, the revised suspension still needs plenty improvement.

My biggest compliment about the Max is its reliability (I own 3rd, 4th and 5th gens). If you keep up with routine maintenance, repair bills should be nominal (other than expected wear and tear). The 6th gen appears to have initial quality problems, since they are now made in the U.S., but hopefully they can be remedied in the near future.
  • They are useless at night.

My 02 Maxima doesn't have lit controls on the steering wheel. It took me about 2 weeks to learn the buttons. That's it.

There are 6 buttons. Two of them are small and in the center of the group, one changes the mode of the stereo, one cycles the trip computer. Then there are two big buttons to change tracks/presets and two smaller ones to adjust volume.

They are all easy to find by feel. If you need to take your eyes off the road to adjust the stereo, then you should not be adjusting the stereo while driving.
  • 99gs99gs Posts: 109
    I'm considering a new Max and would like to know of experiences in slippery conditions. Does the VDC and traction control make considering a 4 wheel drive sedan a non issue? (G35x) Thanks.
  • suydamsuydam Posts: 952
    Can't speak for the new ones, but my '01 (with Traction Control) is great in the snow.