Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Maxima

Comments

• kennyg8kennyg8 Posts: 225
    I saw the review and it indeed had high praises for the 95 Max. The engine was sweet, smooth and powerful (when compared with similarly priced and even higher priced cars) but I did not like the "broom stick" suspension (even though I ended up buying one because of great experience with the 92 Max). I prefer the irs in my 92 Max and I felt it was more solid and higher quality in terms of fit and finish. Times have certainly changed ... the new Max made in the U.S. is not like the ones made in Japan.
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    "Guess you haven't seen the specs on the 2006 Avalon....nor the reviews....

0-60 in 6.5....15 sec 1/4 mile.....280 HP...... "

Yeah I've seen the reviews. Interesting, In 2005 it takes Toyota a "reported" 280 hp to get virtually the same acceleration figures as my 190 hp Max SE 5-speed achieved over a decade ago. I guess if you put enough horsepower behind a river barge and you can get a 15 second quarter mile out of it.

"Avalon" and "sporty" are mutually exclusive terms. It's only transmission choice is a slushbox automatic. Its suspension is tuned to take you over railraod tracks without spilling your coffee. And the seats are designed to hold butts that are twice as wide as mine. Or at least twice as wide as my wife's. It may be a nice alternative to a big Buick or Crown Victoria, but the Avalon wouldn't make my mother in law's definition of sporty, let alone mine.

It appears that the Infiniti G35 sedan has taken over the role once reserved by Nissan for the Maxima, while the Maxima and Altima have morphed together into less distincitve cars. But, whether it was the Cresida of old, the Camry throughout, or the Avalon today, I don't think anybody with a sporting bone in their body would get too excited by these offerings from Toyota. So, again I say, if that is what the 2005 Maxima is competing with and being cross shopped against, it is a sad sign.

P.S. Look at the kennyg8's post subsequent to yours. The debate among 3rd & 4th generation Maxima owners was whether the IRS was better than the newer Multi-link solid beam axle. That's the kind of debate that driving enthusiasts have. And regardless of which side of that debate you were on, you knew that back in 1989 through 1999, nothing from Toyota or Honda even came close.
  • rampedramped Posts: 358
    I made exactly the choice you stated when I traded my '92 Maxima SE last year. Since it's essentially a second car and I needed to stay within a budget, I got the Mazda 6s with the sport package/side airbags.

Suydam pretty much summed up the difference between the earlier generation Maximas and the Mazda 6. The Mazda is a great car to drive (It'll outhandle the Maximas all day), but it's power train is nowhere near as powerful and efficient as the Maxima's VQ 6. I am growing a little weary at the lack of low-end torque in the Mazda 3.0 litre V6. There's a lot of shifting at low speeds with the 5-speed automatic transmission. But, overall the Mazda is a very good car, and I have had no reliablity issues with it at all.

Like many of you, I never considered the new generation Maxima. What a shame what Nissan has done to the car.
  • Have a current 97 Maxima GLE and want to replace it with a new Maxima SL. Have the possibility of finding an 05 SL (new) for $1720 less than an 06 SL. May have a better chance to get the color I want with the 06. What are differences or why is it better to get the newer car (06)?
  • for one... depreciation
  • I tend to keep cars for at least 7 years, longer if the mileage is low. My 97 only has 78,000 miles on it. Really don't need a car but getting up in age and want a change. Will try to sell it to some one in the family since the car is immculate.
  • strapsstraps Posts: 2
    I am intrested buying a used Maxima 01' SE. Can you please tell me about your experiences with the car good and bad, and if you suggest buying?
  • straps... my opinion is that you should look into a 02 maxima.. the 02 and 03 max's are the sweetest model years u could get... combine the attractive body style with the 255hp engine... plus the HID's...

not that the 01's aren't nice.. i have an 2000 and at 55k miles, its still running like new.. the 00 and 01's are basically the same car... with minor differences such as dimming rear mirrors, and stereo controls on the steering wheel...
    the main issue i have on my car is experiencing brake caliper seizures.. once in a while.. the original rotors on the max is pretty crappy too.. i've installed brembo oem rotors on all 4 corners and there's no more steering wheel shaking when i'm trying to brake...
  • Good Day people.

I have a question regarding the Maxima.

Im really interested in buying a new 2006 Maxima, but do you think its a good choice?? Should or could i feel confident with this car??

Ive been reading about some problems for some people. As per say rotor problems, needing tire rotations, paint wears, check engine lite.

Would i be better off with a Lexus ir an Acura TL??

Also, i was reading that the 2005 right now trade in value would be only about 19,000. Thats about a 14,000 depreciation in not even 1 year.

What do you think??
  • isnt there a few thousand dollar diff btw the maxima and the lexus/acura?? if you could afford the extra 3G to 5G's, i would def go towards the lexus/arura... u get a better product and you get better service..... when i bought my maxima... i was kinda stretching my budget from 23k ... and bought my car at 25k.. there was no way for me to look at the ES300 or the TL3.2 cause it was out of my budget....

if you could swing it.. go for it... and it depends alot on what is it worth to have that luxury badge on your car or not.... good luck
  • My nissan maxima QX had a problem after buying fuel and it was taken to a garage and diagnose and later discovered that it was valve and two of it were changed and after that problem of starting came up sometime it will start and after it might not. what is the solution.
    "Would i be better off with a Lexus ir an Acura TL??"

That depends upon what you want and, as kyleknicks noted, your budget. I went with a 2004 Acura TL 6-speed after having a great 150k mile experience with a 1995 Maxima SE 5-speed. I could comfortably afford the price difference in 2004, and found the TL 6-speed to be both more refined and better performing / sportier feeling. Being that I am a bit of a driving enthusiast, the Lexus ES had no appeal to me whatsoever, but for those favoring an dull-to-drive but nice looking, ultra reliable Japanese Buick, it is the king.

As for resale value, I can still get $27,000+/- for my TL 6-speed w/ Nav that I paid $33.3k for in May 2004, after 20,000 miles. That's pretty good. But the prior TL's have taken quite a hit. I think Maxima depreciation has gone up recently, because the car is floundering and looking for it's place in the Nissan/Infiniti line-up and even among consumers. The 4th generation I had was produced for 5 years (1995-1999) with nominal changes. Prior to that, the third generation spanned 6 years, I believe (1989-1994). Since 1999, it seems that Nissan can't go more than 2-3 years without going back to the drawing board. Suggests they really don't know what they are doing.
  • letgigletgig Posts: 4
    Stay away from 2003 maximas or their HID headlights, had my 2003 maxima for literally 3 1/2 months, had HID headlight stolen within the first week, cost 1100, then 4 weeks later, airbags were stolen, cost 3700.00 it is a beautiful ride, but unless you can keep your eye on it every minute, trust me, i live in a good quiet area with surveillance cameras and it happend found out it's too hot a car....recently traded it for a pontiac G6 granted not the same, but not hot for parts....so unless you have a private garage and won't take it to many public lots or areas....get the 2005 or 2006 minus HID headlights.

Good luck
  • chewy2chewy2 Posts: 19
    Re the sweet 2002 and 2003 Maximas: Do you know anything about front wheel shimmy at highway speeds? My boss had a 2003 and loved it, but traded it in when the dealer could not fix the shimmying. I'm interested in 2002 - 2003 because of the 6-speed manual.
  • sgrd0qsgrd0q Posts: 398
    I have a 2001 Maxima approaching 105K miles. According to the manual the spark plugs must be replaced at 105K miles. I have no problems with the car. Should I change the plugs? Thanks!
    Some metro areas of NY, NJ and CT had experienced thefts of Maxima HIDs, but that was a year or two ago. Since Nissan put the datadot system and installed a security bracket on the 5.5 gen Max, HID thefts have subsided significantly. If you don't live or drive in the tri-state area, HID theft is not really an issue unless someone holds a vendetta against you :cry:
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Posts: 1,467
    The best Maximas EVER IMO.
    I am sure you would get a few challenges from 4th generation (1995-1999) on that opinion.

Out of curiosity, what has been your experience with brakes/rotors on the 02/03. I got 90k miles out of my front pads, 110k out of my rears, and at 155k miles have never had the original rotors touched. A freind who bought a 2000 Maxima had major brake problems within 25,000 miles requiring the rotors to be replaced and they were still problematic. She traded the car at 40,000 miles. Did they fix that problem for the 02/03.
  • suydamsuydam Posts: 980
    I have an '01 GLE with 55000 miles, still original brakes and rotors. So I'm not sure it's a general problem, but maybe particular to a few cars. A fantastic car.
  • aggiedogaggiedog Posts: 238
    02 SE, on original brakes and tires @ 52K. Tires are getting close to the end but the brakes are in great shape.
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Posts: 1,467
    And you'd be right about that. LOL

I still love the 5.5 gen Maxima the most, sometimes more than I love my own Altima.
    My 97 Max has 49k miles and the brakes (front and rear) have been changed once, but no rotor work whatsoever. I have done nothing to my 03 Max (currently at 13k miles) except for oil changes. Both cars have been very reliable (knock on wood). Not so sure about the 6 gen Max, as they are now made in the U.S.
  • well... i just replaced my passenger side rear caliper yesterday and my 2000 max's back to normal at 53k miles. So far, i've replaced all 4 rotors (i could've just changed the 2 front rotors, but seeing they weren't that expensive, i did them anyways and put brembo's on). and replaced the 2 rear calipers.. at $80 each... hopefully, there wont be anything else wrong with this car...
  • Hello:

I am planning to buy 2001 Nissan Maxima GLE 4D Sedan w89k miles on it. Owner asking price is US$10,900. I did the drive test personally and I found that car is clean. What is the best price that I can offer? Do I need do any major maintenance work sooner or later?

2001 Nissan Maxima GLE 4D Sedan:: Silver, Air Conditioning, Cruse control , Power Door Locks, Power Steering, Power windows, AM/FM Sterol, Cassette, Tilt wheel, ABS (4-wheel) Alloy wheels, Single Compact Disc, Leather seats, Premium Sound, Dual Power Seats, Sliding Sun Roof, Dual Front Air Bags, Traction Control, Heated Front Seats, New Tires

Any advice is very much appreciated!!!
  • I have a 3 month old 2005 Maxima. Now that it gets dark so early, I've noticed that the garage door opener buttons on the review mirror don't illuminate. I've read plenty about the steering wheel buttons, but not the review mirror buttons. Are they supposed to be illuminated?

Thanks,
    Mark
  • gg2k2segg2k2se Posts: 109
    My wife and I started with a bright red 1990 SE, then a 2000 SE. When the 2002 came out, we broke our 10 year rule and traded up. The 6 speed, HID, 255 HP were well worth it.

I too recommend the 02/03 model year. It's a great highway cruiser and also fun to shift and rev around town. I've never driven the latest generation so I can't comment on it.

Quality has been great for 30k miles. Only problem area with my 2002 has been the Bose 6 disc player. I've replaced 3 of them under warranty. The first 2 lost left side power (a known TSB), then the 3rd one started skipping frequently. I'm hoping this 4th one lasts.
  • Future major maintenance will depend on what preventative maintenance has been done already.

Ask the owner for his maintenance log. If dealer maintained, you should be able to get a maintenance printout from any Nissan dealer.

Our 2001 GLE has 71k on it and to me it's worth more than $11k. Sounds like a decent deal if it's been maintained.
    Hope this helps. :)

Dave
  • Hi

I am planning to buy a 05 Max wich has about 18300 miles on it.. What is the best price that I can pay for this car? I live in Northeast (CT). Please advice.

Thanks in advance!
  • hi joe, im new on this thing and it seems like your very familiar with nissans so i was wondering if you might be able to shed some light on my subject-
    i have an 05 max i got last october, since last february ive had so many problems with this car,
    1. my cars smells like eggs when i accelerate hard
    2. there is a comm. problem with my power control mod. and something else--this causes my spedometer to not work most of the time
    i have taken my car to 2 nissan dealerships and no one will fix it
    i was wondering if you ever heard of anyone else with these problems on such a new car---if i had known i would encounter these problems i would have never purchased a 30K dollar car from nissan that they refuse to fix.
    also i had to replace my break pads and rotors all within the first year of having it--is any of this normal--do ya have any suggestions--thank you , lynn
  • kennyg5kennyg5 Posts: 360
    Lynn, sorry to learn that you are having problems with your 05 Max. I have an 03 GLE with 15k miles and never got a problem except for routine maintenance. Your car should still be under warranty, and there is absolutely no reason why Nissan dealers would refuse to repair it unless you have modded the car such that it voided the warranty. If you have any problem, call up Nissan's regional rep or write directly to Nissan corporate.
    Good luck.