Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Maxima

Comments

• There was no XE in 97. While the wheels could've been swapped from another car, here are some other things that are dead giveaways.

The SE, and only the SE, will have white gauges AND body-colored door handles. It can be cloth or leather.

Both GXE and GLE will have black gauges and chrome door handles, and GLE will ONLY have leather, while GXE can have either.

SE will always have the spoiler, but GXE and GLE can have it too. In the later case, though, there will either be the 'regular' center high mounted stop light, or the cover that closes the hole where it used to be.

Do you want more? :-)
  • maximafanmaximafan Posts: 592
    kennyg8, I agree that the TL is a very
    comparable replacement for the Maxima and should be an even better car all around. In
    regard to the '02-'03 harsh ride of the Maxima's, I also have to agree with you on that
    one. This was the main thing that was starting
    to get on my nerves towards the end there when
    driving my Maxima. Everything else was great.
    So is it the twist beam axle that's causing all
    of the ruckus so to speak? It really did
    nearly jar my teeth whenever I drove on uneven
    road surfaces or streets with potholes and
    railroad tracks. I really started to notice
    it after driving an Altima 4-cylinder rental
    for a day while having the car serviced for the
    rear 02 sensors. The Altima definitely soaked
    up the bumps and such better than my Max did.

All and all it's been a great car though, even
    after 60,000 miles. I'm still waiting to hear
    from the insurance company whether the car will
    be repairable or totaled out.

I wasn't sure if I was reading right. Does
    your '03 Max have only 17,000 miles on it?
    Wow!!! I bet that is one mint-conditioned
    Maxima.

By the way, I test drove a TL this past Saturday. It drove fine except for some
    pronounced wind noise coming from the windshield area on the interstate. I'm thinking of seeing if Acura will let me spend
    a day or overnight with the TL on my own with
    no other distractions, such as a salesperson, so I can give the car the benefit of the doubt.

I also test drove the Lexus IS250, ES350 and RX350. I ended up liking the RX the best because of the flexibility and it seemed to have the best power of all three.

I test drove the IS250. It was a nice car, but a little underpowered and really too small,
    and the suspension was pretty stiff, although
    a quiet car otherwise. I was a little disappointed with the ES350 after reading so
    many rave reviews from buyers on the Lexus
    forum. So, yeah, the RX is up there on the
    list too.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Do you want more?

Haha, no, but that is EXTREMELY helpful, and I thank you so much for your time and effort into that post. It has cloth, black gauges w/white numbers, chrome door handles, and no spoiler. Definitely a GXE. Thanks so much for your help again! (and for helping out a Honda guy=me ;) with a Nissan-guy=friend!)

Best Wishes

thegrad :)
  • pernaperna Posts: 533
    I bought some Turanza LS-Vs to replace the Potenza RE92s on my '03 SE, and it honestly is a whole new car. The handling isn't quite as tight, but it soaks up bumps.
  • kennyg8kennyg8 Posts: 225
    Maximafan, yes it is the rear suspension of the Max that I dislike the most, while everything else is fine to great, and I can live with the not so impressive Bose audio system trumpeted by Nissan.

And yes, my 03 Max GLE only has 17k miles and it is in mint condition, as it is always garaged when not in use and I take good care of it.

However, new car fever is biting me recently. So, I have been looking at the Acura RL ($3k incentive) and the TL ($1k incentive), and even the MDX ($2k incentive). I may sell my Max (I'll probably get about $17.5k for it) and apply the proceeds toward the new ride.

The RX is nice, but expensive, when compared with the MDX, which is being deeply discounted lately.
    Perna, I spoke to Tirerack about new tires for my Max GLE, and Turanza LS-V tires do not seem to fit the car, for whatever reason.

The OEM Bridgestone EL-42s are not that bad, although its tracking power in snow could be better ... thank goodness I have traction control on my Max. The ELs still have a lot of tread, so I may not need to replace them yet. If I sell the car, it is not going to be an issue for me anymore.
    kennyg8, I didn't realize you had a GLE. I
    thought you had an SE. I thought the GLE had
    a softer ride than the SE. I guess not much
    softer, huh? Mine is the SE, so I know I've
    got a "crunchy" suspension. I replaced my
    original Potenzas with the Futura V-rated series at about 46,000 miles. At first, it
    seemed as though they rode better than the
    Potenzas, but then, again, it may be that it was just the new tires. But in the last few
    months, I was beginning to think I might need
    new struts or something, the ride had become
    so harsh.
  • dmaljunkdmaljunk Posts: 160
    maximafan, you mentioned a struts brand name originally installed on your Maxima. Do you know the brand name installed at the factory on a 2000 GLE? Thanks
    I'm sorry, dmaljunk, I don't recall mentioning
    the brand name on the struts, but I would assume they're probably McPherson's? I know
    that's what I had on my 1988 Mazda RX-7 back
    in the eighties. Also, I'm not sure if the
    struts would be different on the GLE.
  • dlaxdaldlaxdal Posts: 5
    I have the opportunity to buy a maxima 03 27,000 miles in mint cond. fopr 16,500. I want to know what prices are like out thre.
    I will never buy domestic again so info on maxima 03 would help
    I have a chance to buy a 03 maxima GLE for 16,500 with 27,000 miles in mint shape. What should i look for?

?????new owner
  • poodog13poodog13 Posts: 320
    I owned an 03 SE Maxima before getting an offer I couldn't pass up to move up to an 06.

I had to have both front tie-rod ends replaced (under warranty) and understand that this was a common occurrence on the 03's. Those that have had problems but have not been replaced will take bumps very harshly and will feel to have bounce in suspension during bumpy road conditions. After the fix, never had another problem.

The turning radius on the SE was horrible due to bigger wheels limiting the steering wheel movement. Understand this wasn't an issue on the smaller-wheeled GLE.

Lack of TCS on high-output front-wheel drive results in tire spin during rapid acceleration, especially if from a stop or facing uphill. Takes some getting used to but managable, particulary if using manual tranny.

Factory (base) sound system is horrible, even a cheap Sony head unit bumps up the quality significantly.

All that aside, I liked the car enough to get another. Many of the issues mentioned above were addressed in the next generation.
    2003 Maxima has the xenon lamps, which are often stolen by bending the fendors and hood with a pry bar. Otherwise it's agreat car
  • biancarbiancar Posts: 913
    Have you looked at the feature on Edmund's called TMV - True Market Value? Look on the home page and click on the "buying a used car" link and fill in the exact details of the car you're looking at. That will give you some guidelines.

Like any used car, look carefully for any signs of accident damage, have an independent mechanic check it out. Just from what you've given, sounds like a good deal. Go for it if you like it.

I've got an '00 Maxima with about 86,000 miles now and love it, hope to have it until it reads 200,000 miles. The engines used in the Maxima are consistently ranked in the top 10, and have been for years and years. They're known for being very reliable and fun to drive cars.

The GLE is, in my opinion, the best choice, too. Has the leather seats and the more luxurious options.
    The car I can get is a GLE/SE. I understand there are issues with every car. Sounds like they are not that bad.
    Thanks for the responses, I will definetely keep yupr board up to date.
  • biancarbiancar Posts: 913
    What do you mean, a "GLE/SE?" There is no such beast. The GLE has more luxury appointments, the SE is supposedly "sportier." The SE's have spoilers standard, the GLE's do not, unless someone added it aftermarket.

Also the taillights are a little different.

Anyway, check which it is, because the GLE's are just a bit more expensive than the SE's, so it might make a little difference in the used car price, too.
  • When you say Tokico Strut, what model in particular?

I'm interested using the HP(blue) one. Anybody using the Illumina?

Thanks.
  • I just moved to Hawaii and realize that the Navigation doesn't work on my 2005 Maxima SL. Contacted the company that makes the map DVD and told me that they have no plans on ever mapping Hawaii on DVD. So the question: Can you replace the navigation system with an after market Navigation system that works in Hawaii?
  • jg28jg28 Posts: 257
    My 2002 seems overly harsh over bumps and has a bounce/jounce to it. Can you tell me more about the replacements you had to get?
  • Hi, I've recently started to notice that when i make turns, there is a screeching noise coming from my wheel well... i'm not sure what it is... has anyone on this board noticed this before.... mine's a 2000 maxima gle..

thanks,kyle
    Did you hit something with your tires (like a curb or a corner)? If so, that could loosen the tires and cause a bit of play between the tires and your wheel axle/hub. Put the car on a lift, spin the wheels to see if there is any play, and tighten if necessary. Just my hunch.
  • I have a 2000 SE. My car was doing the same thing except it was on the right side.In short, I replaced the front wheel bearing. I saved around $800.00 doing it myself. You can buy parts online and save about 40% on price than you can get at dealer. If you are mechanically inclined and have a really good press, then go for it. Don't let your friend who "thinks" he can do it. It is not a bad job but one that takes time and know how.Torgues are very important too. Get a manual. MJ9981
  • How is the 2007's CVT? Its it better to get the 06? I mean the 06 does have 10 more horses. The interior on the 07 is nicer but i never saw anything wrong with the 06 other than the clutter. Any comments on the MPG? I see the fog light difference but is the visibility that much difference?

-Cj :confuse:
  • RE: 2004 Maxima: Need to replace the driver side electric/heated mirror. New mirror is on order but I :confuse: Cannot see how to remove the old mirror. The one piece unit appearts to be bolted on to something on the inside. Any experience here is appreciated?
  • ray_h1ray_h1 Posts: 1,134
    )) "I'm sorry, dmaljunk, I don't recall mentioning the brand name on the struts, but I would assume they're probably McPherson's? I know that's what I had on my 1988 Mazda RX-7 back in the eighties. Also, I'm not sure if the
    struts would be different on the GLE." ((

I realize I'm late to the party with a comment on maximafan's post, but the McPherson naming convention is in reference to the Scottish-born Ford of England engineer who devised the simplified coil-over-strut style suspension system that uses only a lower control arm to locate the wheel hub laterally and longitudinally. It's not a brand name. Neither Ford nor Mr. McPherson patented the design, so it's in general use worldwide. Though the componentry is always basically similar, it's never intentionally interchangeable from one automaker to another. The struts, themselves - essentially shock absorbers - would probably be internally valved differently in the Maxima than the Altima even though they might be physically similar enough to be interchanged. There're also unnamed variants of the McPherson concept in wide use that add an upper control arm to the mix.
  • Please give us a scientific reason why we can't switch from a mid grade fuel to reg grade fuel for a 10-yr old Maxima. Thanks
  • oem tires: 215-55-16

does anyone know if i could put 205-55-16's on my maxima?

and is there a need to adjust the alignment for the rear wheels on a 2000 maxima that has the Multi-Link Beam suspension in the back... thanks!
    you usually upsize your tires not downsize - see tire calculator here for exact impact: http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/brochure/info/tmpInfoTireMath.jsp

Rear wheels do not need to be aligned on 2000 Maxima.